First Day All Over Again

The Boyfriend and The Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dried out yet still vibrantly colored leaves delicately crackled under my worn-out shoes as I paced along this endless sidewalk where rows and rows of trees had overlooked. Cars rushing up and down the road brought along a cool breeze that brushed against my face making me wrap the thick black scarf around my neck just a bit tighter.

A little to my right were birds that happily sang together as a pack while watching the squirrels busily collect their pinecones for the upcoming winter. Nature, its beautiful isn’t it? I sniffled and rubbed my cold nose before looking up at the cloudy gray sky.

The smell of fall…

It crept upon us earlier this year than any other years and while everyone complained about it, it seemed like I was the only one who didn’t mind at all; well minus ‘him’ who coincidently loves this season as much as I do.

I jumped slightly to readjust the heavy backpack from slipping off my shoulders and quickly tucked my hands back into the pockets of my oversized, knitted maroon red cardigan. Brrr…

I suddenly caught myself smiling at a thought that ran through my head as I continued on my way to school: will this year’s first day be as dramatic as the last? Of course I had hoped not but I couldn’t help to think that what happened on the exact same day of last year has changed my life. Everything since then really just felt like a dream but I must say, I’m glad it’s not. If it was then I wouldn’t have ‘him’ by my side until this day.

It seems like we’ve been through a lot and I can say it has all paid off for the exchange of such peaceful, simple days so far. Don’t get me wrong when I say simple though because he constantly surprises and amuses me even at the littlest things he does. From the way he talks to me, listens to me, touches me, I know I can never ask for anything more. I’m grateful to be able to be his special person over everyone else in the world.

I inhaled a gust of cold, fresh air but my heart is warm as ever thanks to ‘him’.

“Ara!”

Surprised to hear my name from afar, I cautiously turned around only to find Chunghei running hastily towards me. The first thing she had reached for when she got to my side was my shoulder. She huffed and puffed trying hard to catch her breath.

I didn’t know whether I should laugh at my precious best friend who looked like she wanted to say something so bad but just couldn’t get it out of her from the long ways she had ran. All I could do was gently pat her back to help smooth her rhythm, “Chunghei-ah, I thought we agreed to meet at school today?”

She had her other hand on the side of her hip as she closed her eyes taking deep breaths. I finally let out a slight chuckle at her exaggerated expression. She then gulped and opened her eyes to meet mine, “I… I… I was wo… worried so I thought I’d catch up with you.”

“Worried?” I asked obliviously.

Her eyebrows immediately arched in confusion as she tilted her head, “it’s first day! You’re always nervous on first days!”

I really didn’t even realize anything until Chunghei said so. I’m not nervous at all, not one bit! And I think I m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter