July 11, 2011

The Story of Angie

I opened my eyes again. All was a blurr. It was hard to see, in fact. 

The feeling of looking at the dark for too long and then suddenly opening your eyes to the bright light. I looked around the room, ahh, it was so familiar... 

Oh yes! My hospital room... 

The door opened and I turned my head towards the sound as a reflex. The doctor entered this time without a nurse beside him.

"How are you feeling?" 

I stared at him. I stared for a long while before answering. "Tired..." I held my hand out in front of me, staring at it. 

He nodded. "The work of the medicine." 

I stared at the doctor again, this time, I mumbled in a childlike voice, "I don't like medicine." He nodded in acknowledgement. 

"It's okay, you will be feeling fine again. You sing right?" He smiled kindly at me. 

Ahhh, he seemed so different... I nodded. My body seemed to perk up at the mention of the fact that I sing. "I like...singing." 

He smiled again and patted my head. "You'll be fine soon..." 

I looked at him and whispered, "Will I be able to leave soon?" and then added in a childish voice, "I don't like hospitals..." 

He looked at me. His eyes were sad and deep. "...We'll see..." He said softly and said goodbye and left. 

I stared at my hand again. So tired... Ahh.. Minwoo.... 

I started thinking about Minwoo... I wonder what he is doing right now... I wonder what time it is... 

I wonder if he misses me... I sure miss him right now. 

I closed my eyes and saw Minwoo, I smiled. He was indeed a bright star that brings a smile to everyone. 

My eyes stayed closed and I fell alseep. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

"How is her condition?" 

"She needs a lot of treatment...but you have to be aware that none of these treatments will save her." 

"How long does she have to live?" 

"I'm not sure yet... It ranges from several months to a year or two." 

"Is there any treatment at all?" 

"Im sorry...Your daughter has a special condition. A new type of cancer, as they call it. There isn't even a treatment for it yet. We are using the normal cancer treatment.. we still don't know the effects of it yet." 

The conversation stops when one of them realizes I was awake. 

"Angie, you awake? How are you feeling?" Dad asked, worried. 

"Hungrry..." I mumbled. I had heard their conversation. It was truly a shock for me. 

Dad nodded and said he would get me some food. He left out the door, the doctor stayed and questioned me. 

"How are you feeling?" 

"Tired...better than better though." I forced a smile on my face. 

"Ahhh... I'm sorry.." The doctor suddenly stared apologizing. 

"Don't be." I murmured, looking out the window. Instead of letting the tears I had bottled up, fall, I faced the doctor and asked. "How long have I been here?" 

I couldn't really remember much... I was sleeping way too much. 

"3 days." He answered and I turned back towards the window. 

"Doctor Lee, a patient requests for you." A nurse came in and said. Doctor Lee bid goodbye to me and left. 

I laid on the bed and stared out the window. I see trees, full of life, so much green. A little girl running around and a boy chasing her. Kids... I smiled. 

The door opened again and this time it was my brother. 

He smiled at me. "How's my sis, feeling?" 

I nodded. He smiled and handed me my phone. I looked at it surprised. 

"Thought you might want to fun... besides it keeps ringing." He said, looking slightly pissed but smiled again. "Someone sure cares about you." 

Which might it be? I don't really have any close friends or anything of the sort. 

I held the small phone in my hand and continued to look out the window. Looking out windows was really interesting. You can see many, many things that you never realized or took note of before. 

Alex patted my shoulder and said he would be outside. I nodded. 

The trees, the sky, the smell of the summer air. The blue sky... 

The phone suddenly started ringing and I opened the phone, staring at the numbers. It wasn't a number that I was familar with... 

I decided to answer, I pressed a button and murmured, "Hello?" 

I heard a sigh and then a panting voice, "Angie? Is that you?" 

I was surprised, who was this? "Yes, who is this?" 

I heard another sigh of relief and then an anger tone, "Where were you?! Why didn't you pick up the phone?! Not going to the agency for 3 days?! What were you thinking? What about your song?!" He started shouted at me with all these questions that I dont even have a chance to answer. 

I smiled. Someone cared. Minwoo had cared as much as to keep caling me. He was worried. I felt a ping of happiness.

 He cares... 

I started giggling and laughing. 

He was however not amused. "Why are you laughing? I am not amused at all!" He was really angry. 

I smiled and said, "Im so happy..that someone cares...that you care." 

He was quiet for a moment before replying, "Of course I care!" He sounded slightly embarassed. 

I laughed. "Where are you?" He asked, curious and still of course worried. 

I stopped smiling, should I tell him? 

"At the hospital...don't worry though..." I said meekly. 

He was still worry though. "WHAT? HOSPITAL? WHAT? Omo, right now...I'll come! Where is it?!" He asked, desperated. 

I smiled again, "No visiting hours now, have to wait for tomorrow." 

He sighed, "Okay, okay, tomorrow then. So where?" 

"X-X-X hospital. Bring pudding." I said, amused and walking on sunshine. 

He sighed and agreed. "Ahh, gotta go now, pick up your phone more often!" He scolded me as he murmured good bye and ended the call. 

I smiled at his voice. Ahh... Minwoo... 

Thank you for caring. I looked at the phone number and saved it in my contacts, "Minwoo". I labeled it. 

I place the phone on the desk next to me and smile again. 

Thank you.