Memory

Dead & Gone

One day, two months ago, Minjun didn’t come to school. Even after school hours, when I tried to call him, he wouldn’t pick up his phone. I was kind of worried and decided to check on him at his place. If he was sick, I could take care of him and help him out with the classes he missed that day.

 

When I turned around the corner of the street Minjun lived in, I saw two dark figures standing on the doorstep. The white front door behind the two men was open and the light coming from the hallway shed a dim glow on their faces. The one standing in the open door frame was Minjun, without a doubt. I recognized his sharp chin, his protruding cheekbones and his chocolate brown  hair. The other person, whose face I could only see partly, I guessed was Lee Junho, Minjun’s best friend who lived in a city more than 40 miles away from our town. They hugged each other’s in a way that shot a pang through my heart. They seemed to be more than good friends. My anxiety grew and my hands started to sweat. What on earth was going on here? Why would Junho take this long trip to pay a short visit to Minjun?  Why was Minjun not at school, but could play with Junho without a problem? The jealousy that was growing in the pit of my stomach was slowly turning me into a green-eyed monster. I wanted to run to them and confront Minjun with what was lying in front of my eyes. But I knew that when I would do that an immense fight and a possible break-up would be the only results. And I didn’t want to lose the love of my life to that bastard. I envied him for the fact that he knew Minjun longer than I did. Junho knew him since kindergarten, I only a few years. And now he was standing over there with my boyfriend in his arms and I was hiding in the bushes like a creepy stalker. A deep sigh escaped my lips as I my heels. It was better for me to leave now. 

 

The next day, when Minjun slowly walked into my direction on the school yard, my jealousy flared up. A small smile was plastered on his lips, but I could notice that this smile wasn’t honest, his eyes weren’t smiling. The smile was to distract me, I decided. He greeted me with a friendly bow as he sat down next to me on the bench. I shortly nodded back, but remained silent. That was the best option at the moment. There was this silence that cut to the bone, which was quite strange when we spent time together. People were always surprised at Minjun’s  fluency, because he was quite taciturn when around strangers. But in reality he was a true chatterbox. The silence made me even more nervous. I couldn’t hold my mouth any longer. I started to ask questions about the day before, about him being sick, about him not answering to my calls and messages.

 

“Sick in bed,” Minjun murmured in response every single time.

 

The repetition made my anger rise. I told him that I went to check on him and that I saw him and Junho in front of his house. His excuses were poor. He pretended that Junho happened to drop by after visiting his grandmother in a neighbouring village, and that he didn’t answer his call because his phone was in his room and his battery was dead.

 

“You knew I would be worried about you,” I said. “Why didn’t you send me a message?”

 

Minjun just shrug his shoulders.

 

“When you wouldn’t have run away yesterday, I would have explained you.”

“You can explain me now,” I proposed.

“Now everything’s fine,” Minjun answered coldly.

“Everything’s fine? I don’t believe you!”

 

I got up and walked away.

 

The memory hits me in the face. Minjun didn’t give me the cold shoulder. It was me who didn’t want to listen to him.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you,” I whisper again to a person that doesn’t inhabit this world any longer.

----

A/N: Hello, my dear subbies! This is the last update before I leave for a holiday. I’ll be back next week…

Saturday or Sunday, I believe. Love~