The end

Dead & Gone

The day is slowly coming to an end. The moon is taking the sun’s place high above the horizon. Thousands of stars are painting the dark sky with their little flickering lights. My little brother is long in dreamland and my parents have just turned in as well. I, however, am still staring at the white ceiling above my bed, wide awake. An hour or two ago I went to bed as I should, the obedient son I am. But I wasn’t planning on sleeping. This night I am determined to contact Minjun’s ghost. This night I am going to see my lovely panda again.

 

 I wait for another hour before I sneak out my bedroom and tiptoe down the stairs. I silently open the door to the dark living door, close it back behind me and sit down on the couch. Now the only thing I have to do is wait. Luckily, I don’t have to wait long. A couple of minutes later, the beautiful, familiar song starts to play. Slowly, I turn my head around and I see the empty instrument and the moving piano keys. Images of my dream last night appear in front of my eyes. The words of my father’s colleague linger in the back of my head.

 

“You have to follow your heart and open up completely to the spiritual world and the ghost himself. There’s a reason why he’s still here and why he is trying to contact you.”

 

I shift my body to the end of the couch that’s the closest to the piano and straighten my back. I take in a deep breath, as if the fresh air will give me more strength and reassurance.

 

“Minjun, is that you?”

 

I  close my eyes for a second before I continue.

 

“If you’re here, could you give me a sign. Doesn’t matter what, but please don’t  scare me.”

 

Every spark of hope fades when a silence that cuts through the bone fills the entire house. Hot tears start to stream down my cheeks as I think of how badly I want to see him again and of everything I want to tell him when I could see him once more. A deep sigh escapes my lips. I let my body fall down on the couch and close my eyes. I have failed again.

 

Suddenly the piano plays a false, high-pitched tone. My eyes immediately shot open and within a second I am sitting back at the edge of the couch.

 

“Minjun?”

 

Again the same high-pitched tone, as if a little girl is squeaking. My heart is racing in my chest, both out of fear and hope. I can feel the edges of my mouth tilting up, although the two small rivers on my cheeks aren’t ceasing.

 

“Minjun? Junnie? Is that really you?” I ask in between my sobs.

 

A third time the high-pitched tone fills the living room. The  answer has unusual effects on me, my heart is beating fast, my hands are trembling and butterflies are dancing in my stomach. My brain tries to fight the overwhelming feelings, but my heart is winning the battle.

 

“I am so glad you are still here, Minjun.” I stare at my hands as I try to apologize for my behaviour. “I knew  you wouldn’t leave me without saying goodbye. And I’m sorry… sorry for being so grumpy the last couple of months. I was wrong and I am really sorry. I have treated you really bad, haven’t I? I have been the worse boyfriend ever.”

 

My speech is interrupted with a couple of loud, false sounds, as if someone is banging his fists on the piano keys. My mouth falls open, my jaw almost hitting the ground, when I look up after hearing the angry sounds. The seat behind the instrument isn’t longer empty, but is filled by a beautiful white phantom, the same phantom I’ve seen in my dreams last night. The ghost turns around and looks straight into my eyes. An angelic smile is plastered on his half-transparent face. With a small sign  of his head he motions me to join him. I obey immediately and join the handsome boy on the little seat, like we used to do almost every time he was visiting my home. I follow his lead and lay my hands on the piano. Together, we play the first song he ever taught me on this piano. But it doesn’t take long before the endless tears force me stop playing. Minjun also stops and looks at me, worry and confusion washing over his features.

 

“It’s just that I am so happy to see you again.”

“I am glad I was allowed to contact you one more time.”

 

The transition hasn’t changed a thing to his beautiful voice.

 

“One more time,” I sigh. “You can’t stay?”

“No, unfortunately not. I wanted to say goodbye to you… because I couldn’t before.”

“But we were shining so brightly together.”

 

Sadness fills his dark orbs, but a faint smile lingers on his lips.

 

“We will never stop shining, my lovely Taecyeon,” he says, smiling softly.

 

He slowly moves his transparent hand to my face, but he hesitates when his hands and my cheek are only a few inches separated from each other.

 

“But now it’s time to let me go,” he continues, dropping his hand, “so I can become a twinkling star that will guide you through the dark night.”

“I don’t want to lose you, Junnie.”

“Don’t be afraid, Taecyeon. I will always be here with you,” his angelic voice says while his transparent hand reaches out for my chest, landing head onto the spot of my beating heart.

 

The moment his featherlike fingertips touch my chest it feels like an electric shock runs through my entire body, making my legs wobble, my hands tremble, my heart race.

 

“Bye, Taecyeon. And always remember, I love you.”

 

Then he is gone… forever.

 

---

This is the end... I cried myself while writing this chapter, what about you?

I'm gonna miss you, my lovely subbies and silent readers.

Hope I'll see you soon in another story...

~MrsTwinkleSttar~