The Hospital

Dead & Gone

A/N: This chapter is based on Big Bang's Haru Haru, a beautiful song and a beautiful MV. If you don't know the song, you definitely have to watch the MV before starting to read this story. =) 

 

~ 6 months later ~

 

Tears are streaming down my cheeks, falling from my eyes in two never-ending rivers. The tears express the horrible pain in my chest that even words aren’t able to describe. My eyes are fixed on the simple silver ring in my right hand. Six months ago, when we were celebrating our first anniversary, I gave this ring to my boyfriend. I am wearing the exact same ring on my left hand. It was our symbol of love and loyalty. But these concepts didn’t exist any longer.  Though he didn’t say a thing to me, though I haven’t seen him anymore, I know enough… He has left me… for good.

 

“You’re the only one this ring belongs to,” Junho, Minjun’s best friend, whispers in a hurt, regretful voice.

 

I look at him for a second and then back to the ring, which seems to weigh a thousand kilos. The memories of Minjun’s angelic smile when he opened the small black box and saw the silver couple rings I bought for him keep flowing through my mind. The stream of hot tears doesn’t stop. Even when I try to block them, new tears will roll down my cheeks in a matter of seconds.

 

Suddenly, a door opens at the end of the corridor. A doctor in a white coat with a serious, dejected expression plastered on his features makes his way towards us. We, Junho and I, both get up from our seats. The look in the doctor’s eyes when his dark orbs find mine tells enough. My knees can’t hold my weight any longer and I fall to the ground. Bawling like a little kid, I sit on the floor in the middle of a corridor in one of the biggest hospitals in Seoul, South-Korea.

 

“No, this can’t be true,” I murmur in between the sobs.

 

It feels like my heart is trying to open my ribcage, run away and never come back. All my hopes and dreams are torn apart into thousand little pieces. My whole world crashes down. It’s like someone stomped me in the stomach, squeezing all the air out of my lungs. I feel a pair of strong hands on my broad shoulders, but I shrug them off and run to the door at the end of the corridor. As a mad man I start banging on the white door with my bare fists.

 

“Minjun! Junnie! Don’t leave me alone, Minjun!”

 

Again, I feel the pair of strong hands on my shoulders. This time I don’t shrug them off and obediently follow them until they place me on the chair I was seated on not long ago.

 

“My condolences,” the doctor says in a tender voice.

 

I don’t know if he’s directing his words to me in person or to Junho as well. I don’t even know if Junho is still in the corridor, that’s how blurry the real world seems to me at this moment. I try to block out the doctor’s words, I don’t want to hear his lame excuses. He let my precious Minjun die.

 

“The seizure was so strong that even the best medical team couldn’t save him. We sincerely tried everything, but it didn’t help.”

 

After these words the doctor’s pager rings and he disappears again behind the white door of hell.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me, Junnie?” I’m asking to thin air since the addressed person doesn’t exist any longer.

“He never told me why he didn’t,” Junho answers, sniffing his nose in between his words. “ I’ve asked him several times though.”

 

I look up to my left and see the red, swollen eyes of my lover’s best friend. He’s sitting in the same defeated position as I am: shoulders dropped and head resting in his hands. His stare is fixed on a spot far away from this horrible place.

 

“Why didn’t you ever tell me, Junho-ah? You knew everything about his disease, didn’t you?”

“I’m sorry, hyung, but I promised him. And I never break a promise, not  with Minjun-hyung.”

 

Pang. My heart breaks into thousand pieces again when I hear his beautiful name.

 

“Since when did he know about this disease? And when did he inform you?” I whisper, trying not to let my voice crack.

 

“Two months ago he called me after he got his doctor’s results,” Junho answers. “I still don’t understand why he me with such important information, but didn’t want to tell you.”

 

Two months. From the day Minjun started to act cool and distant, I decide.