Just take a bow

Life tales

Oh, how about a round of applause?
Yeah, standing ovation?
Ooh, oh yeah
 Yeah y-yeah

 

Standing rooted to the ground, she could only stare in disbelief, her mind failing to process what her eyes were seeing. Confusion, shock, despair, disappointment, anger, all rolled into one as her mind whirling to take in the scene and her heart refusing to accept the pain. A bitter smirk formed on her lips as her brain started to digest the shocking scene. No doubt she had heard about it, believed it, doubted it before but nothing could prepare the shocking truth that lay before her very own eyes.

A step backwards and she clenched her fists, the pride in her refused to allow her to show her weakness. Another step backwards and her lips trembled as she inhaled deeply, her emotions threatening to break down. Third step backwards, tears were already rolling down her cheeks only to be quickly wiped off, she would not give him the satisfication to see her at her most vulnerable state. Fourth step backwards, she felt her body tipped over and everything went black.

 

You look so dumb right now
Standing outside my house
Trying to apologize
You're so ugly when you cry
Please, just cut it out

"Please babe. I'm sorry. It was a foolish mistake. I was... I was... Missing you too much that I drank a little more than usual. I thought she was you. Honestly! I swear!"

He stuck his right hand up forming three fingers as he swore to the sky. He looked so pale, so thin, so pitiful, so remorseful, so sorry, so sincere.

Seven days. He had been outside for seven whole days, kneeling and not moving an inch from the spot. Even after he fainted on the third day due to lack of sleep, food and water, he returned to the spot upon waking up in the hospital. Even after she called the police to have him forcefully asked away, he returned. Even after his friends and family came to beg him to go home, he refused, struggling with all his might as they tried to pull him away, only to give up. Instead, they brought him food and water, even a potty to let him relieve himself, but he refused, vowing not to eat and drink unless she forgave him. They came, begged her, pleaded her, scolded her, threatened her, but as stubborn as her man, she refused. She was not going to give in, not this time.

Tearing her gaze from the window, she turned her back. Her eyes were souless and her face was expressionless, but one could not miss the soft sparkles on her cheeks, the only evidence that she was deeply affected. Her heart was hurting, she knew but she refused to acknowledge its pain. She was going to be strong, she had to be strong. She was going to learn to be unaffected, even when it affected her a lot.

 

And don't tell me you're sorry 'cause you're not

And baby when I know you're only sorry you got caught

"Yoona. Have you heard the latest news?"

Yoona looked up curiously at her friends, who were panting and perspiring from their frantic run.

"Somebody saw him kissing another girl in the park."

She furrowed her eyes in confusion for a minute and smiled, not believing a word they say. It was not the first time her friends had warned her and with the constant rumor about him hooking up with different girls constantly buzzed around school, she still believed him. He loved her. He would not cheat on her. She trusted him. At least until she caught him with her own eyes.

~~~

"Yoona. It's not what you think it is. We were not making out, she was just..." He paused, ruffling his hair as he tried to conjure up words for his excuse. "Just... My long lost friend."

She stared at him blankly, a look of doubt and hesitation appeared on her face. Upon seeing that, he had mentally hit his head, cursing his brain for coming up with some lame excuse. Long-lost friend, who would believe him.

But she did. Yoona had smiled and walked away, oblivious to the tears rolling down her cheeks and the sudden pain in her heart as a chip of it broke off.

---

"She's my cousin..."

"She's my elementary friend..."

"She's my high school friend..."

"She's a friend I met overseas last year..."

She had lost count of how many excuses she had heard. She doubted him, doubted herself, yet each time she walked away, a smile more forceful than the last, her heart more chipped than the last.

"I'm sorry."

He would always mutter at the end.


 

But you put on quite a show, really had me going
But now its time to go, curtains finally closing
That was quite a show, very entertaining
But its over now
(But its over now)
Go on and take a bow

She had believed and trusted, with all her heart that he was going to repent, that he would stop once they got married. He had promised her, and she believed it, despite the constant warning from her two best friends.

Her friends had never taken kindly upon him, always eyeing him in disgust and sometimes ignoring his presence. She did not mind though. She could understand the reason. But she wanted nothing for them to believe in her, trust that she made the right decision. They did. They trusted her, but not him. They believed her, but not him. And because of her stubbornness, she was paying the price.

They had been right, truthful all along. He had never stopped. She knew, yet she chose to forgive him repeatedly. All his sweet talks, all his excuses, all his blatant lies, and not to mentioned his all so sincere apologies. She had taken them all in, treating them as the truth even though she sometimes saw right through it. All because of him. All because of trust. And love.

Yet he had made a fool out of her. Right in front of her very own eyes. Did he really think she was that oblivious or gullible? All those times she had defended him and stood by him but it turned out that he was a just too good an actor, and she was too good an audience. Blinded by the lies, the love, the show.


 

Oh, and the award for the best liar goes to you
For making me believe that you could be faithful to me
Let's hear your speech out

"Yoona. Please. Listen to me. I promise I will never do it again. No. There won't be an again. I swear. I love you. I really do."

She stared blankly outside the window. Tears had stopped and her nose had stopped sniffing. In fact, she saw nothing, heard nothing, felt nothing. It was as though her heart had stopped beating, dead to the world, numbed to the heartaches.

"Yoona. I promise I'll love you forever. I'll not live you alone anymore. We will go wherever you want, eat whatever you want, buy everything you want."

She picked up the file lying by the side of her bed, staring at the papers. If it had been weeks or even days ago, she would have believed him, jumping straight into his arms without a second thought. But no, this was a new her, a changed yet heartbroken her.

She smirked bitterly. The words he had wrote, the promises he had swore, the oath he had uttered, it all meant nothing, just like the lies he had sweet talked her into. Nothing.

Picking up the paper, she stared at it once more. Was this what she hoped? Was this what she wanted? Could she even be strong enough to let him go? After all, he had been a part of her life for the past few years. She had trusted him with all of her mind, loved him with all of her heart, given him with all of herself. Was she willing? Could she do it?

A stab of familiar pain pierced her, right deep into her heart, a feeling that she thought she had forgotten, that she thought she was numbed to.

She had to let go. It was time to let go. She had taken in more than she could handle, shoulder more than she could lift. Too heavy, too much, too burdened. Now it was crushing her.

Slotting the divorce papers into the folder, she stood up, opening the window. She saw how his face brightened, how his eyes lit up, how his lips curved into a relieved smile. For a moment, she thought he was sincere, but she knew better than to believe him.

Without a second thought, she let go of the folder, allowing to fall to the ground with a thud. Just like their relationship. Fast and hard. Yet just like her heart. Fast and hard. But with a surge of relief.

She noticed how his eyebrows frowned, how his lips pursed and how his muscles tensed. But she paid heed no more. Whether he signed or not, it was done. Sealed deed. Gone case.

Every show has its ending, it was time for her to end hers.

 

How about a round of applause?
A standing ovation?
But you put on quite a show, really had me going
Now its time to go, curtains finally closing
That was quite a show, very entertaining
But its over now
(But its over now)
Go on and take a bow