Just your presence is enough 2/2

Life tales

Every other day after dance classes, Hyoyeon would try to bring Sunny to the studio whenever she could. However, as Hyoyeon was also selected for the upcoming dance competition, the duo had been spending lesser and lesser time together.

This afternoon, Sunny was sitting by the balcony as usual, waiting for the dorky dancing girl to come back. However, it had long past the time that Hyoyeon had to reach home, and the girl was nowhere to be found.

Sorry Sunny, more dance practice. I'll be back soon, don't wait outside at the balcony, it's cold.

The message rang out from the brunette's phone. Sunny read the message as a small smile lit up on her face. Even though Sunny could understand the need for Hyoyeon to practice, she could not help but feel dejected. Hyoyeon had been her best and longest friend till now, but she was still afraid, afraid that the blonde would leave her anytime just like her other friends.

Flashback

"Sorry Sunny, we are leaving."

"Why?"

"Mom said we are leaving for America. Dad got a job there and our whole family has to move over."

8-year old Sunny looked at them sadly, tears welling up in her eyes. The two girls before her were her friends since childhood. They had played, slept, bathed and studied together since young. However now, they were going to leave her.

"Don't worry Sunny, we will write letters and when we are old enough, we will come back."

Young Sunny sniffed and nodded her head as the trio hugged each other, tears rolling down their cheeks. That hear, Sunny was just 8 years old.

~~~

"Sunny is a ! She's the teacher's pet. She tells teacher everything."

Middle school Sunny walked down the corridor, listening to the hateful rumors around her. It was not her fault that the teacher liked her that much and she could swear that she had never told the teachers anything, but how and from where these rumors came from, she did not know. All Sunny knew was that these rumors were spreading like wildfire around the school and in no time, she had became the hated girl in school.

Tiredly, Sunny walked into the classroom, paying no attention to all the whispers and glares at her. It was not that she was used to it, but because there were too much to bother. She did not want to feel the wrench in her heart from listening to all the untruths.

"Sunny! How's has the teacher's pet going on?"

"Sunny, I never thought you are this kind of person. You are the last person I would think of selling us out."

Sunny looked up to find herself staring at 2 pairs of mocking eyes. The last pair seemed to be expressionless or rather guilt? Sunny was not sure. All she knew was that the last pair of eyes seemed to be evading her.

Upon seeing her former friends, Sunny choked back her tears. For a moment, she felt vulnerable at the sight of her friends, but she refused to let the tears dropped out. She could not stand to be mocked and teased again for her vulnerability. Hence she kept shut and glanced away.

It was only later that she found out that it was one of their friends who sold them out and blamed it on her. Even though she had decided then that she would not blame anyone of them, she could not help but close her doors to her heart slightly for fear of getting hurt again.

~~~

"Sunny, wanna go out? We could wheel you there."

Sunny gave a small smile. It had been 4 months since her accident and Sunny had been wheel-chaired bound ever since. Her friends had went out of their way to compromise her, bringing her to lunch and spending time with her.

However, Sunny thought different. She had grown to become pessimistic, thinking that those who helped her were pitying her and she hated that kind of looks. Hence, she was reluctant to go out whenever her friends called. It had made the situation worse when her friends had always called and attempted to ask her out only to realize that the places they were going are not wheelchair friendly. Hence, she would reject them.

Bit by bit, they slowly drifted apart and soon her friends would gradually lessen their contact with her and soon none of them called anymore.

Flashback end

"Sunny! Sunny!"

"Lee Soonkyu!!"

Shouts were heard from downstairs. Sunny stretched her head out and looked downstairs to find a familiar blonde waving frantically at her. Though seeing Hyoyeon was able to make most of the insecurities tucked in the back of her mind, a little was still left in her consciousness.

"Sunny, I thought I told you not to sit outside. It's cold now, you shouldn't."

Hyoyeon gave a pout as she crossed her arms standing in front of the girl after she carried her in. A glance at the clock then told Sunny how long she had been sitting at the balcony without realizing it.

"Sorry,"

Sunny mumbled, her head bowed low with guilty. Seeing the girl before her in guilt, Hyoyeon could not help but felt her heart melting.

"Sunny, I just don't want you to get sick."

Sunny did not speak but fidgeted instead. Being with Sunny for the past few weeks, Hyoyeon had known more about her, and one example was that the brunette would rub her fingers together when she felt uncomfortable or uneasy.

"Sunny..." Hyoyeon kneeled down in front of the said girl, her face facing upwards to meet the eyes of Sunny's downwards face. "Is there anything wrong?"

Sunny avoided the gaze but did not respond. Instead, she kept on rubbing her fingers, clearly uneasy.

"Sunny..."

Hyoyeon repeated the word a few times only to be met by a wordless and expressionless response. Sighing, the blonde finally stood up from kneeling, her legs aching badly. Kicking and loosening the muscles of her leg, Hyoyeon started walking away from Sunny.

"Are you going to leave me too?"

Surprised, Hyoyeon turned around to face the tiny girl. She was surprised to see her shoulders humped inwards, looking all so miserable that her heart went out to her.

"Did you say something?"

Sunny shook her head, to which Hyoyeon shrugged and scratched the back of her head sheepishly.

"Sunny... I'm just going to the toilet. It's kind of urgent."

With that, Hyoyeon dashed into the washroom, knocking into the door and the washbasin.

When she was finally done, Hyoyeon walked out of the bathroom, with a satisfied smile on her face. One glance towards the couch, she found Sunny seemingly in thoughts. Quietly, she took a seat beside the girl and wrapped her arms around her to which the latter looked up in surprise.

"Sunny ah... I like you, so don't worry, I won't leave you unless you want me to leave."

"Really?"

Hyoyeon nodded her head forcefully with a wide grin plastered across her face.

"Confirm guarantee plus chop!"

Hyoyeon hit her chest lightly with her right fist, as though she was showing her loyalty to Sunny. Hearing the promise, Sunny gave a small smile. She felt relieved, but only slightly. After all, she was just a crippled who would burden everyone.

Just as the girl was slowly immersing herself into her thoughts, a sudden loud clap jolted the brunette out again.

"Right! Sunny, you want to learn dancing?"

Sunny widen her eyes in surprise. Never in her life after the accident had she thought of walking again, much less dancing. All she could think of was the graceful sliding of legs or the powerful popping of the body, which she could not do. Thinking about that caused her to feel inferior again, and hence Sunny shook her head slowly, disappointment and sense of inferiority were clearly obvious in her eyes.

"Oh, did I tell you that it's forbidden to say no? I will come fetch you tomorrow!"

With that Hyoyeon skipped home, leaving a surprised and confused Sunny behind.

---

The next day, Hyoyeon went out earlier than usual to fetch Sunny from her home. When she reached, the latter was already dressed in simple t-shirt and shorts, waiting for the former to arrive.

"Sunny! Let's go!"

Hyoyeon shouted excitedly, causing the girl to flinch in the loud voice. Sunny could not help but giggled at the excited girl. Throughout the night, Sunny had wondered what Hyoyeon had meant with her joining the dance class. Hyoyeon knew that there was no way she could dance without her legs, so she guessed what the girl meant was for her to sit in the class. It might be a great idea for Sunny had always wanted to watch Hyoyeon during lessons.

"Come'on Soonkyu, it's too early in the morning to daydream. Let's go!"

Hyoyeon passed her bag to Sunny who carried it before crouching down and motioning to the girl to climb on. Once stabilizing the girl on her back, the duo started on their journey, chattering as they went.

~~~

"Hyoyeon!" "Hyoyeonie!" "Hyoyeon unnie!"

Shouts for the petite little girl were heard the moment the duo stepped into the dance school. It was obvious that the girl was liked everywhere and all of a sudden, Sunny just felt jealous. It was not that she was selfish, but that Hyoyeon had been her friend and see only her when they go to the dance studios, but now, it seemed that she had to share Hyoyeon with everyone, which she dislikes.

"Hyoyeon noona, who is she? Why are you carrying her? Why can't she walk by herself?"

The moment the words came out from the young boy's mouth, Sunny felt the feeling of being inferior returning to her mind. Because of the continuous stare from the boy and the others, the feeling became so overwhelming that tears started to well up in her eyes. Clenching her teeth and blinking her eyes, Sunny tried to hold back her tears. She even buried her head into Hyoyeon's neck in order to hide her face. She knew she should not take te young boy's heart into consideration, but she could not. It was then that she regretted coming out.

Hyoyeon, on the other hand, seemed to sense the discomfort from Sunny and wondered if the boy's words had hurt the girl.

"Jiwoon-ah, Sunny noona is feeling uncomfortable so noona is carrying her. Will Jiwoon be a kind boy and help noona carry the bag to class first?"

Jiwoon nodded his head enthusiastically as she reached out for the bag on Sunny's back. With comforting words from Hyoyeon, Sunny slowly released the bag from her back to which Jiwoon grabbed and brought it gingerly to the studio whilst Hyoyeon carried Sunny to the washroom nearby.

Putting Sunny down on a toilet bowl, Hyoyeon turned to grab some paper for the tearing girl. Even though it was not obvious, Hyoyeon knew the brunette was trying hard to hold back her tears.

"Sunny. I'm sorry. I didn't know Jiwoon would ask that question. I swear. I just wanted you to have fun, or maybe I shouldn't bring you here. I should..."

Sunny smiled at the continuous ramblings from the girl. It warms her heart to listen to her endless rambles of how sorry she was for bringing her here.

"It was actually meant as a surprise, but since Jiwoon made you sad, I should just tell you what I was going to do."

Hyoyeon was about to blurt out the surprise when a hand clammed onto , shutting the blabbering girl up.

"Hyoyeon, if it's a surprise then you don't have to tell me. I'm sure Jiwoon doesn't mean it too."

Sunny gave a small smile to which Hyoyeon nodded, relief that Sunny was not sad or angry or hurt. After a short wash-up, Hyoyeon then piggy back Sunny into the studio where her dance class was held.

"Kim Hyoyeon! Why are you late?"

The teacher spoke in a stern voice the moment Hyoyeon stepped in, obviously not seeing the other girl on her back.

Hyoyeon, being cheeky as ever, retort back.

"Sorry. I was early for class. I got Jiwoon to put my bag in class before the class start. "

Hyoyeon pointed to the bag and Jiwoon nodded.

"Fine. Now who's that girl on your back?"

"Erm... She's a friend."

"A friend?"

"Yes Sir."

Sunny took a peek at Hyoyeon who was seemed nervous.

"All right. Quickly put her down and get into position. You know we have no time to waste."

"Yes Sir."

Hyoyeon gave a small bow to the best she can and quickly put Sunny lightly down on the bench nearby. Giving Sunny a bright smile, she walked towards the class while doing some simple stretching.

Once into position, the music boomed out from the stereo, and as if everyone was hooked on to the music, the bodies and limbs that were once stationary started moving to the beat, hitting every beat in sync. In fact, most were in sync, movements; angles and even right down to their middle finger were in sync. It was a commendable feat, as it definitely would have taken lots and lots of practice time and continuous alignment to make it done. If one of them refuses to do so, it would be impossible for the team to look as though each part was sliced perfectly.

Sunny watched in awe, amazed at the powerful and synced movements of the dance. She usually watched Hyoyeon dancing and knew how powerful the girl's movements are, but now together with the group, it seemed that the group was not made up of people who are just passionate in dancing, but they were a group of professional dancers.

Just as Sunny was engrossed in the wonderful dance practice or rather performance in this case, the music stopped suddenly. Sunny looked up in surprise only to find the dancers fixed in their ending pose. Just as suddenly as the music stopped, it started again with a slower pace music and the door leading to the dance studio opened. In came or rather in rolled in 5 other people, sporting simple t-shirts and long sports pants. They rolled in confidently and moved towards their partners and soon started on their routine. In and out they weaved through the gaps as they danced gracefully, their disability at the least of their worries.

Looking at the dance, Sunny was in awe. She had never though that those people in wheelchairs could still dance. It was as though the four-wheeled was their legs as they maneuvered confidently in it. There was no trace of inferiorty in them. Sunny was so into the dance that she did not notice one person missing from the group. Finally the music stopped and the dancers ended each with a different pose. It took a few moments before Sunny realized that the dance had ended and started clapping.

"Do you want to learn how to dance?"

A soft voice was heard beside Sunny. Sunny turned and found herself staring in the bright smile of a blonde girl, but Sunny was still confused. Was Hyoyeon asking her to join the dance group? To dance like the others who has the same characteristics as her?

"Here Sunny noona."

Another soft voice was heard on the other side. To her surprise, it was Jiwoon wheeling in a wheelchair. The wheelchair had been set and the seat was opened, as though it was waiting for her to place herself in it. Besides, the chair was quite small and it looked easier to maneuvered as though it was especially made for her.

"Sunny? Want to try?"

Sunny looked at Hyoyeon nervously before shifting her glance to Jiwoon who was smiling cheerfully at her and then to the rest of the class who were smiling at her encouragingly. She then looked down onto her lap and fidget with her fingers while considering her options. She was still uncomfortable in places with people but the hopeful smile on Hyoyeon's face was too difficult to resist. All along Hyoyeon had been doing something for her, to make her happy and Sunny want to do the same too. Even though she was still unsure about herself, she slowly nodded her head. Immediately, applause sounded around the room as everyone cheered for the bravery of the girl.

Hyoyeon grinned as she carefully lifted Sunny and placed her gently into the seat. She then wheeled the girl into a nearby room where the former patiently taught the latter the steps of the dance routine.

~~~

"Tired?"

Hyoyeon gently asked Sunny who was still having difficult using the wheelchair. For one the girl had never used a wheelchair before and secondly, the wheelchair was slightly bigger than the girl hence Sunny did not have enough energy to use it by herself. Hence throughout the whole practice, the duo was unable to practice properly especially when Sunny would wheel out of the Hyoyeon's reach. Still, the duo did not give up, but instead try harder.

It was a heartwarming scene to the others who had peeked through the small windows of the door but yet as much as their hearts were smiling with warmth, it was also aching with the sight of the girls practicing hard. However there was nothing they could do for them besides letting them practice. Besides, time was not on their side either. The competition was just a month or so away and they had to catch up with the team.

---

"Hyoyeon..."

"Unnie?"

"Hyoyeon, why are you doing that?"

"What?"

"With Sunny?"

Hyoyeon had a confused face as she frowned at the older lady before her.

"We have already fixed the dance, I don't get why you want to do this?"

"But Sunny is nice."

"Yeah, but she can't dance. She will pull us down to."

"No, unnie. Please give Sunny a chance. Sunny will do well."

"Hyoyeon, I'm trusting you, but if Sunny can't follow the routine within this week, we will stick back to the original routine without the wheelchairs."

"Yes unnie."

With that, the duo ended their conversation, not noticing a figure that was hiding around the corner.

~~~

"Hyoyeon..."

The duo was resting in the studio after dance practice again. Hyoyeon was closing her eyes, half asleep while Sunny was seemingly in thoughts.

"Hyoyeon?"

"Hmm..."

"Are you awake? If not I won't bother you."

"I'm awake now."

"If you are tired, then sleep. Sorry."

Hearing the sentence, Hyoyeon snapped her eyes open and turned her face to look at Sunny, but all she could see was just the side of her face which was partially hidden by her hair. Hyoyeon could sense that something was wrong with Sunny and she was going to find out.

"Nah... I'm awake. Is there anything?"

"Nothing."

The voice was softer as though she was guilty about hiding something. Sensing the difference in voice, Hyoyeon rolled over to the brunette's side and looked at her straight in the face.

"Sunny. We are friends aren't we? You can tell me anything."

For a moment, Sunny's face was blank as she turned to her side, avoiding the gaze of the blonde. Hyoyeon was just simply looking at the girl, waiting for her response. The silence in the air at that time was just uncomfortable. It seemed that the two girls were just lying there and not knowing what to talk about.

After a long moment of silence, Hyoyeon gradually lay back down onto the ground, her eyes trying hard to stay open and her ears wide open just in case the girl beside her say something.

"Am I a burden?"

The voice came off as soft and weak. However, as Hyoyeon was about to succumb to sleep at that time, she did not know whether she was imaging the voice or did it really happened. Still, she forced herself to speak despite whether the question was real or not.

"No. Sunny is not a burden."

"Really?"

It was then that Hyoyeon realized that Sunny's voice was real. The girl was feeling insecure once again but this time it seemed more serious as sniffing was heard from the other side. Once again, Hyoyeon forced herself to stay awake as she rolled closer to Sunny. Putting an arm around the girl, Hyoyeon gently pulled the girl into her arms, comforting her.

"Really. Sunny is not a burden and never be."

"But you have done a lot for me, but I didn't do anything for you."

"Does it matter?"

When nothing was heard from the girl. Hyoyeon knew Sunny was afraid.

"I like you. Even though you think you did not do anything, I think you have done a lot. I just like around being around you. Just your presence is enough for me."

Hyoyeon concluded with a tighter embrace around the girl. Even though the two girls may be young, they are mature enough to understand sensitive things about people and the environment. With the hugs and words of comfort, the girls slowly succumb to the tiredness in their mind and body and fell asleep.

---

Days passed as the duo worked hard, practicing hard for the competition. At times they will work together, improving on their chemistry and dance moves, at other times they were syncing their moves with the other members from the team. The duo had improved drastically each time they met with the team, which proved all their hard work. The unnie who had been skeptical about them at first had finally accepted them in to the team and allowed the team to carried on their practice.

Time flies and the day of the competition was getting nearer. The team was nervous, but the most was Sunny. After all, she was youngest with Hyoyeon and she did not have experiences in performing at all unlike the latter. Hence, to make up for the lost time, she practiced even harder, even when Hyoyeon or her other team members asked her to rest.

---

The day of the competition started on with a high note with a performance by the winner of the dance competition or Street Jam last year. With the powerful popping and locking, and the addition of Hip-hop, Street Jazz and even B-boy, the group made a powerful and lasting impression by mixing all the different genres of dance together.

While the audience and the judges were being hyped up in front of the stage, contestants were nervous and anxious at the back. Each of them were busy doing their make-ups or practicing their dance. After all, Street Jam is one of the most prestigious dance competitions around the world. Passionate dancers from all over the world train hard and long, but only the best could make it into the competition.

At the corner of a waiting room, a young girl was facing the wall as she mentally went through her steps and movements. It was not her first time in a competition, but it was the first time she had dance with a group as well as people who are inconvenient in using their legs. Even though they had been practicing hard for days, she could not help but felt the nervousness and pressure built up inside her. Looking up, she searched around for her partner, only to see her mumbling to herself at the far end of the room, away from all the people. Walking over to the seated girl, she placed her hands on the latter's shoulders and gently squeezed it.

"Sunny, are you alright?"

Hyoyeon looked at Sunny who was fidgeting with her fingers, a habit of hers whenever she was nervous. The girl was sitting quietly in her wheelchair, which she has gotten used to. Sunny no more felt uncomfortable in it and she could care less about the other looks of pity or concern that people would give her.

"Nervous?"

A small nod came from the girl. Kneeling down in front of her, Hyoyeon gazed into her eyes.

"Don't worry. Just do what you do normally, okay? I have faith in you."

Another small nod indicated that the girl understood, but she was still nervous. Who would not be nervous if it was their first time being on stage.

"Hyoyeon, get ready. We are up next. Sunny too."

Giving the seated girl a quick hug, Hyoyeon quickly wheeled Sunny towards the side of stage before running towards her other group mates. Soon, their group name was called and 6 girls ran out to the center of the stage. Each fixed in their positions as they waited with nervous and anxious hearts for the music to start. Sunny looked from the side as she watched the 6 girls on stage popped and locked to the music. The performance that the team put up seemed to be more energetic as they skipped around the stage and showcased their charisma. The crowd below seemed to be wow by the stage as there were people who were cheering them on.

However, when the music stopped suddenly and in rolled 6 wheelchairs. The moment the wheelchairs stood in the middle of the stage, those seating held their head high and their expression confident, applause erupted out from the audience. Once again, the music continued as the dancers danced and wheeled gracefully on stage, capturing the hearts of the audience with their moves and expressions.

With the last powerful dance beat, the music ended and the performers on stage all ended with a pose. For 3 seconds they stayed in that position before giving a big bow. It took a few seconds longer before the audience could react and all of them stood up and gave a resounding applause that was enough to bring a house down. The judges, and the other competitors too, were stunned by the performance and also with the inclusion of the disabled people. It was something that nobody had tried before and done well in it. Hence, the judges were all smiles when they wrote down their scores on the little sheet of paper.

At the backstage, the team was huddled together as they praised each other for the job well done. They had managed to pull the stage off perfectly, and from the applause outside, they were sure they would be able to do well. It had taken them a lot of time and effort to choreograph and practice the dance, but seeing the response out there, even if they did not win, it was still worth it.

"And the winner for Street Jam 2012 goes to.......... J-TEAM!!!!"

The moment the name rang out, screams were heard from the audience as well as backstage. One by one, the team came onto stage and received the trophy. All of them were trying hard not to cry, but some had already let out tears of joy. They had won!! Nothing could describe the happiness and pride in their hearts, especially Sunny and Hyoyeon as the team stood on stage and took a deep and low bow, hoping to convey their heartfelt happiness to the audience. The competition ended with a high note as J-team danced once more on stage, amazing the audience once again with their perfect teamwork and powerful choreograph. It had certainly been one of the nights that Sunny and Hyoyeon had experienced the best.

---

"Hyoyeon..."

Sunny started, her eyes gazing calming at the blue sky and white clouds above them. It had been days after the competition and the duo were just resting on a hill near to their house. Not far from them, a wheelchair stood patiently, waiting for its owner. Sunny had finally willed herself to get a wheelchair, which her sister happily and gratefully complied. Now, the girl was no more afraid to go out by herself, something that she would never do in the past. All of these, she had owned Hyoyeon for it. Sunny would have still been wallowing herself in misery, if not for the girl who came into her life and changed her,

"Thanks."

Even though Hyoyeon did not answer, Sunny knew the girl had heard it since there was a bright smile on her face. Since the competition, the duo had managed to keep on dancing together and became one of the best partners in the academy. Even though there were times where Sunny felt insecure and uncomfortable, Hyoyeon would be there to comfort the girl. As to what Hyoyeon would always say to Sunny, "just your presence is enough." The moment Sunny would appear in front of Hyoyeon, the latter would smile brightly as though nothing in the world could affect Hyoyeon more than Sunny. Hence, it was only in the constant companion of the girl that Sunny felt safe and confident and this friendship carried on till the girls became ladies.

-END-

A/N: I'm not sure if I strayed too much from the previous part, but I think it seemed okay to me at the very least.
"Just your presence is enough", everyone has their own flaws and strengths, their own confidence and insecurity. It's in the human nature to look at the flaws first before the strengths and to remember what they had done wrong more than what they had done correctly. But as friends, or should I say good/best friends, we tend to forget what their flaws are and take in mind what their insecurities are. We don't expect much from them, because we know that just their presence only would make us feel better. Just like Hyoyeon and Sunny. Even though Sunny has her flaws, in this case unable to walk, Hyoyeon is still willing to stand by her and not give up. She was sensitive to what the girl was feeling and did not expect anything in return. As she said, just by Sunny's presence, was enough to make her day sunny. Look around yourself, the presence of who is enough to just make you smile? Catch on to them and don't lose that person.