Words can never really hurt, can they?

Life tales

Words will never hurt you, unless they are carved into stone and thrown at you. –Pleakey (Lilo & Stitch Series)

Sporting a blonde hair with black streaks covered inside, a slightly tanned girl walked through the corridor full of students whispering and chattering happily. Even though the girl wanted to be so much like them, having friends to hang around and gossiping about the latest news, she knew it was almost impossible. It was not that she was nobody who people treated transparently; in fact she was famous, or rather infamous in and around the school. Her name travels far and wide that even students from the opposite side of town knew of her.

Just like every other day in school, just as she was walking down the corridor, all whispers and laughter stopped and instead glares full of hatred or despise were thrown at her. Soon, whispers started again, but this time it was nowhere near gossips of celebrities or any hilarious event. They were talking about her, about her hair; her attire; her face; the way she walks and the list just get going. Sometimes she would wonder if there were just so many things about her to talk about. It was not like she was someone exciting; in fact she was as boring as she could be. Going straight home after school, eating, sleeping or reading books and straight to bed before the next morning when she set off her daily routine of going to school and back home. She does not hang out with anyone, does not talk to anyone, does not even smile to anyone and it was to the extent that most students in school does not even know what her voice sounds like. Hence, all they could guess and talk about was how deep and hoarse her voice would be just like an evil witch in a fairytale who would cackle in laughter when an evil plan was formed in her mind.

Ignoring all the stares and glares from the students, she proceeded to the classroom where she went straight to her corner at the far back of the classroom and stared out of the window, blocking everyone out.

It had been quite some time since she had started to daydream about nothing, when the class began to quieten when the bell rang and the clicks of heels down the corridor. The moment the teacher stepped into the classroom, all was quiet as their eyes were fixed on the student behind her, all but one.

“Hello, my name is Im YoonA. Please take care of me.”

The doe-eyed girl brightly smiled and bowed at the class.

“All right Yoona, please take a seat at the back of the classroom and wake your partner up.”

Yoona nodded and walked to the only empty seat available, her expression obviously nervous. That girl was the first person that caught her eye the moment she came into class because of her blonde hair and black streaks, which gave off a badass attitude. The second thing that caught her attention was the cool and icy aura surrounding the girl. It was an aura that was totally opposite of the bright, warm and cheerful attitude of Yoona.

“Hey.”

Yoona tried to greet causally, but as what she had expected from the girl, she was ignored.

“Hey.”

When there was still no response, Yoona simply waved her hand in front of the girl’s face and nudged her arm, to which the girl finally responded after few tries.

“Hey, I don’t think you heard my name. I’m Yoona, the new transferee. What’s yours?”

Instead of answering, the girl simply took out her textbooks and started staring at the whiteboard, totally ignoring the girl. Frowning, Yoona slowly turned her attention to the whiteboard while sneaking glances at her partner. Though she may seem to be staring intently at the whiteboard, but never once did she took down notes, in fact Yoona was almost sure she could see her eyes drooping every few seconds. Finding it cute, Yoona gave a small smile before concentrating on the lesson.

After hours inside the class, the bell finally rang along with the sighs of reliefs and groans from the students. It had been a warm morning that made everyone sleepy and perspiring under the humid weather.

“Hey do you want to eat together?”

Yoona closed her books and gave a small yawn while turning to her side, only to find the blonde sleeping peacefully on her arms. Nudging her gently, the blonde slowly stirred and opened her eyes, only to close it and sleep in another position.

“Hey.”

Yoona called once again, this time shaking the girl slightly harder. The girl jolted up in shock and sent a glare at Yoona who was smiling nervously.

“Erm… Want to go eat together?”

Once again, instead of answering, the girl just stormed off, leaving Yoona frowning at her back. There was a sudden urge in the doe-eyed girl to chase after the blonde, but somehow she felt that it was better to stay put. After all, she did not know the girl at all.

“Hey Yoona, wanna go eat together? We can bring you around the school.”

Yoona turned to the voice and found 5 pairs of eyes smiling at her.

“I don’t know you.”

“I know. I’m Gyuri, they’re Nicole, Hara, Jiyoung and Seungyeon.”

Yoona nodded her head as she stood up to pack her books.

“Let’s eat together then.”

Without waiting for any reactions, they simply pulled her along towards the canteen. For a moment, Yoona was happy that she had found friends so quickly, but her smile faded into a frown when she remembered of the girl who ran away from her just a while ago. She had to know her name.

“Erm… Do you know what’s the name of my partner?”

Yoona started awkwardly. Something inside her tells her that that girl was not really well liked by everyone; in fact she looks like she does not even talk at all. The moment the question popped out, everyone at the table stopped eating and turned to face her. Gulping down her nervousness, she repeated her question.

“Jessica Jung. That’s her name. She prefers to be left alone, I think.”

“I think?”

Yoona raised her eyebrows. Seldom there are people who would rather be left along. Most of them would desire of friends and love.

“We are not very sure either. It’s just the rumors around school. We had tried to befriend her before but she just ignored us, so we gave up in the end.”

Yoona nodded her head as she dangled the spoon in , thinking hard. She did not know why, but there was a sudden urge to befriend the girl. Something in her tells her that Jessica was not what she may seem to be.

What’s your name?

A shuffling of paper was heard as it slid across to the other side of the table. It has been days since Yoona had joined the class and been her partner. Countless of times, the girl would try to strike a conversation only to be ignored. Still the doe-eyed girl did not give up. She believed that one day she could melt the icy exterior of the ice princess and bring her warmth.

Didn’t anyone tell you not to mess with me?”

The paper slid back. Yoona took a glance at the handwriting and grinned. Even though she did not manage to get her to talk, at least she managed to get her to write. That shows signs of Jessica warming up.

Not that I heard off.

You must not have opened your eyes and ears wide enough.

Though the writing was cute, it was obvious that the tone was sarcastic, but Yoona ignored it. She was not going to be put off by the sarcastic tone, definitely not!

Maybe, there are people who said my eyes an ears are quite small, so I guess it didn’t help in hearing some things.

Yoona slid the paper back. She sneaked glances as Jessica read the paper from the corner of her eye. She saw the small smile that graze the lips of the girl, which made Yoona’s heart flutter at the sight. She had finally made the ice princess smile and wow! It was pretty. Yoona was sure if Jessica really smiled, it would be 10 times prettier.

Why would you want my name? I’m sure you have heard it from Gyuri.

Yoona gave another small smile at the note; the girl had definitely been noticing her. At least that was a small achievement.

I want to hear it from you. Besides, how am I supposed to know if they are lying about your name?

That’s what rumors say isn’t it. Just don’t bother me if it’s for your own good.

Yoona frowned at the note. She thought she was slowly melting Jessica, but it seemed that the girl had let her guard too high up that it seemed almost impossible to break.

Fine. Just tell me your name and I promise I will not bother you.

Jessica

Came the short reply, but that was enough for Yoona. Apparently she had gotten the girl to converse with her for almost 15 minutes even though it was on paper. As promised, Yoona did not bother her for the whole day or rather she tried to suppress the urge from bothering her.

~~~

When the bell finally rang, signaling the end of school, Yoona stretched out and groaned. It was definitely a chore for not being able to talk throughout the few hours of lessons for Yoona. Yoona looked to the side and to her surprise, found the girl sleeping peacefully. She had been concentrating too much on suppressing her urge to talk that she did not realize that the girl had already fallen asleep. Observing her, Yoona found how peaceful she was without her usual glare or attitude expression.

“Hey… Hey…”

Yoona nudged at the girl slightly. Jessica slowly stirred and her eyes fluttered open. She jumped back in shock when she saw the close-up view of Yoona’s face; in fact it was too close for comfort.

“School has ended.”

Having said that, Yoona quickly ran out of the classroom, keeping in the urge to tease the girl. Despite Jessica’s usual cold demeanor, Yoona was not put off by it, instead she felt comfortable as though she had knew her since way before.

~~~

That night, Jessica lay on her bed, a book in her hand. However, neither her eyes nor her mind were on the book. Her eyes were staring blankly in front while her mind was drifting back to a certain doe-eyed girl from school. The way she smiled, the way she frowned and even the way she disturbed her. She could not deny that despite it was irritating; she had actually felt loved, care and warmth. It was something that she seldom experience due to her attitude. Apparently, she was not deterred by all the rumors revolving around her. Perhaps, she might be different from the others, perhaps…

Yoona had proved to be different from the way she waited for her outside her house in the morning, the first person who ever did that not because she was obliged to. Definitely, Jessica had others waiting for her in the morning before, but it proved later that it was just a silly bet that that guy had made with his friends, which broke the fragile heart of the young lady.

Jessica walked out of her gate, only to be greeted with a loud ‘boo’ from her back, which caused her to scream, startled. She turned around to glare at the troublemaker, only to be met with a chuckling girl who was bending down from laughing too hard. That sight caused the icy heart of Jessica to melt slightly as a smile slowly graced her face. However, as quickly as it came, it disappeared, hiding behind all the protective shield of her facial muscles. Afraid of not being able to control her expression, she turned to her heels and left, leaving the still-laughing Yoona running after her.

“Hey! I’m sorry.”

As usual, Jessica did not bother answering but kept her eyes at the road instead. She was busy fighting the urge to glance at the doe-eyed girl who had her head bowed down as though she was guilty of something. She could feel her guard slowly letting down because of the girl, but she forced herself not to. She could not let herself being vulnerable just because of one girl whom she barely knows.

Throughout the whole route to school, Yoona did not talk either, seeing Jessica in her own world in which the latter was grateful for. However, to Jessica’s surprise, the moment the duo reached the school, Yoona slipped her hand into Jessica’s and held it tightly regardless of the rejection of the girl.

“OMG, Jessica Jung has a friend?”

“What would that new girl see in her?”

“That , that new girl is going to suffer with her.”

Hearing the whispers as they walked down the corridor towards their classroom, Jessica had tried to remove her hand from the tight grasp of Yoona but failed. Sneaking a slight peak, Jessica could see Yoona frowning slightly, obviously bothered by all the whispers around her. Even so, the duo still managed to reach the classroom safely. It was then that Yoona let go of Jessica’s hand. The minute Yoona’s hand left Jessica’s; the latter could feel the lack of warmth almost immediately, which was even more apparent in the cold weather.

“Thanks.”

The soft voice broke the silence, which had been hanging above the air of the duo since their arrival in the classroom. Yoona looked up in surprise as she looked towards the direction of the voice. The owner had a shy smile pasted on her lips as she pretended to be busy staring out of the window.

“You look prettier when you smile, so you should smile often and your voice is nice to hear, so you should talk often.”

Yoona observed the girl before her as she spoke the sentence. It seemed obvious enough to the former that the latter was not well liked, or rather not liked at all in school. She could feel the sadness and hurt in the blonde while they were walking down the corridor even though she had put on a blank expression to mask it.

“Don’t worry, I promise this is the first but definitely not the last.”

Words, they can be loving when used with lovers or they can become weapons, inflicting emotional wounds to the victims and most of the time, these wounds are not healed as easily as physical pains. Some words can traumatized a victim so bad that the person loses faith and strength, inflicting life-long scars in them. Words, they may seem harmless, but in fact inflicts the most damages and pains in its victims.

As promised by Yoona, the said lady had waited patiently outside the blonde’s house everyday, surprising her parents who was starting to worry if the latter was going to be a loner in the next 20 years.

Jessica, on the other hand, started to gradually respond to some of Yoona’s remarks, much to the delight of the doe-eyed. Even though it may not seem much, but whenever they are alone, Yoona could feel the warmth emitting from the ice princess. She was surprised the first time she had seen the blonde smiling widely and even laughing. She had gone to know her deeper than the others from the school. However, what Yoona was unhappy was how Jessica would turn back into an icy block of ice once they were in school. The blank expression, the heck-care attitude, the icy stare, Yoona had understood that it was part of the protective shield in Jessica but she had wanted the girl to break out of it, to which she was rejected once and again. Perhaps it may seem better to stick with the present.

For the past few days, Jessica had been walking to school alone as her one and only friend had gotten a bad case of flu, rendering her excused from school the whole week. Despite the lack of accompaniment, Jessica travelled to and fro school as usual, only this time, she was missing the cheerful voice and laughter that used to emit from her friend.

“Did Yoona finally left her alone?”

“Did Yoona finally saw who she was?”

“Jessica is alone once again. She deserves it.”

Comments were made as she walked through the corridor. As usual, she could hear the comments made by the other students for this time they did not bother to whisper. When Yoona was around, the comments made against her would be in whispers for Yoona had threatened those whose comments about Jessica would definitely be regret it. However, now that Yoona was not around, it seemed like the students had not bother about Jessica and said it out loud.

Jessica walked through the corridor and sat at her seat, her gaze leading out of the window. Despite that she had used to hear it before, it still hurt. Others may think that she would be used to all the harsh comments but in reality, nobody could ever get used to be hated. It was because she had bothered about it too much that it hurts if she cared about it even more. Now in front of her, a shield has been built to protect her from all the spiteful comments and to block everyone from entering her comfort zone and hurting her again. However, she had felt her shield being broken down slightly with the invasion of Yoona who refused to give up, and hence now, she was hurting again.

The week went through without Yoona and as days passed by, the comments started getting harsher and the protective shield around Jessica started mending and erected back in her heart, keeping a barricade from her and others.

~~~

“Hey!”

“Hey, Sica, why are you ignoring me?”

“Jessica~~~”

Yoona frowned when she was still ignored by Jessica despite the countless of times she had tried to get the blonde to respond to her, but apparently, the blonde had been giving her a cold shoulder and what was worse was Yoona did not know why the former had been doing that and this continued for the rest of the way to school with Yoona calling out or making random remarks to Jessica only to be treated like invisible air.

The moment they were before school, Yoona slipped her hand into the blonde’s and held on just like what they had done before. However this time, Jessica released and took back her hand, crossing her arms to prevent Yoona from holding on to it again. Seeing no other chance, Yoona could only pout and followed slightly behind the girl, racking her brains about the reason for the girl’s actions.

“Yoona has really left her. I think she doesn’t want to befriend her anymore.”

“Seriously, Jessica is deemed to be a loser.”

“She will never have any friends, even Yoona doesn’t want her.”

Behind the girl, Yoona heard everything and was furious. She had finally understood why Jessica had been ignoring her, the barricade that had taken her a long time to break down, had been erected back up in her heart and this time it seemed that Jessica was persistent to let others bring it down, even if it was her only friend.

Without warning, the doe-eyed girl dashed to the front and punched one of the gossipers right in her face, shocking those around as well as the blonde. Stunned by the sudden and fierce attack, no one could react fast enough to pull the furious girl away. It was only until a teacher popped her head out from a classroom to check out the noise that the fight was stopped. Yoona was sent to the office while the other girl was sent to the nurse.

Hours later, Yoona emerged from the principal’s office, her head bowed low but it was obvious from the girl’s smirking expression that she had not regretted what she had done. Whatever punishment that was coming her way, she would probably just take it, finish it and forget about it. However, punishments come in second, what was the first was the feelings of a certain blonde who was nowhere to be found.

High and low, Yoona searched for the blonde, but she was nowhere to be found. It was only until she finally opened the door to the rooftop that she had a glimpse of the blonde hair. Quietly, she snug near the girl who was staring blankly at the front, the wind blowing through her hair. Seeing the girl in trance, she wondered if she should not disturb the girl. However, before Yoona could say anything or make her presence known, the girl had beaten her to it.

“Why are you here?”

The voice was soft, but it was evident that it was different from how Jessica usually speaks. The usual Jessica would be sarcastic, but this Jessica before her seemed to be vulnerable and hurt.

“Are you okay?”

Yoona sat down beside Jessica, and tucked her legs under her chin, her face staring in front. She now knew why Jessica sat there. The wind was smoothing as though it could take all troubles and hurt away, even though it may only be a temporary reliever.

“You shouldn’t punch her.”

The simple sentence got Yoona curious as the doe-eyed girl turned and faced the blonde, with one eyebrow raised. Even thinking about how those girls said about Jessica was enough to boil Yoona’s blood up, but Jessica seemed to be calm and peaceful.

“Why not?”

Jessica gave a shrugged and simply replied, “Because I’m used to it.”

The voice was calm and peaceful and seemingly without hatred. How could she do that? Yoona knew it was impossible for someone to get used to people insulting them, especially not a girl like Jessica. Even though Jessica may seem to be strong on the surface, she was actually vulnerable inside.

“Jessica…”

Yoona started. There was so much that she wanted to say, but yet she could not find the right words to do that. Jessica was her first friend in the school, despite it had taken a long time for Yoona to melt the ice and Yoona was definitely not going to let her go on like that. Everyone, regardless of who they are, needs a friend and a shoulder to lean on.

“You can lean on me if you want. I promise I won’t laugh and I will be there for you.”

Yoona patted her shoulder confidently but Jessica simply did not answer. When Yoona took a glance at her again, she found the girl to be smiling with her eyes closed. Seeing that, a sudden peaceful feeling crept into Yoona as the latter mimicked the actions of the former.

“Thanks, Yoona.”

Yoona could only smile at the soft voice.

“Does it still hurt?”

Jessica raised her eyebrows at the sentence.

“Those words.”

There was a slight pause before a sigh was heard.

“Will you laugh if I say it does?”

The voice came off as meek, weak and vulnerable. If not for the fact that they were in a serious discussion and Yoona does not want to hurt the girl, she would have giggled at the cuteness of it.

“Never. I once watched a Disney movie and it said that words don’t really hurt, unless they are carved into stones and thrown at you.”

Jessica raised her eyebrows at Yoona in which the latter simply shrugged.

“I don’t really know what it means even till now, but I guess what it really means was to tell you not to take words to heart, especially those from mean people unless they hurt you. Besides, I’m sure they are simply just jealous.”

Jessica smiled at the failed attempt to explain a profound meaning but she decided to let it go. All her years she had been attempting to push herself away from people so that she would not and never get hurt, but the truth is that, being alone meant that she had to suffer alone. There was no one to talk with, to laugh together, to lean on, to cry with. In short, it was just lonely. Now that Yoona had ‘readily’ offered herself to suffer the wrath of the ice princess, perhaps she might just open a little and allowed her in. Probably it would make her life easier and bright. However even though, Jessica was not sure if Yoona thought about her the same way.

“Are we friends?”

Jessica asked timidly, almost afraid to hear the answer. She would not know what to do if Yoona had decided to drop a bombshell on her and denied to them being friends. It would probably cause another shield to erect against the vulnerable heart and steeled it from all invasions of feelings.

A soft and carefree chuckle was heard, and almost the instant it rang out, Jessica’s lips curved upwards. However, the moment she felt herself being light-hearted from the infectious laughter, it turned into a frown when a slap landed on her arm. Still, as quickly as the frown came, it went and was replaced by an even brighter smile, this time reaching her eyes.

“Of course we are friends, idiot. I thought Jessica Jung was smart, but it turns out to be not.”

The last sentence caused the smile on Jessica’s face to droop as flashes of her past memories of her ‘friends’ being with her invaded her mind. She had once been humiliated in the exact same sentence when she realized her ‘friends’ were only with her because they thought she was easy to tease and make fun of.

“I thought you…”

“Were like the others.”

Yoona did not miss the droop in smile, and knew that she had probably said something wrong. The only thing she knew was that she wanted the smile to return to the blonde’s face. She definitely looked prettier when she smiled.

“I promise I’m not. I don’t know how, but I promise I will not leave you like the others, no matter how sarcastic you are, or how ignorant you may be or how menacing your glares may be. All I would remember would be how pretty you look when you smile, how soft and gentle your voice is and how warm your heart actually is.”

Hearing the girl’s sincere ramblings had totally melted the heart of the ice princess. Perhaps it was worth to take a gamble on this girl, but even if she loses, Jessica knew she would not regret it. Till now, she still has not.

-END-

Note: Sorry fir not updating sooner... I'n currently settling down in Brisbane, in which uni is starting soon for me... So am trying to adapt to the place and oroentations. But I'll get back to writing soon... Once I'm more or less settled. Till then...

PS: I actually don’t understand the quote either. When I first started, I thought I did, then as I read on, I realize I didn’t… Oops