Liar

Life tales

"Liar!"

A girl wearing a pink polka-dot dress, along with a pair of pink shoes and a pink ribbon ponytail in her hair shouted at the other girl similarly dressed in pink. The latter was laughing hysterically away as she pointed at the crying girl.

"Jessica Jung Soo Yeon!"

The moment the voice was heard, the sound of laughter ceased to exist and in place of the once laughing girl stood a guilty girl in its place, her head bowed down. The older girl had been teasing the younger one about how ugly she looked dressed in an all-pink outfit, causing the younger one to burst in tears. It was only when the teacher came and found her "bullying" the latter that the teasing finally stopped.

"Sorry."

Jessica apologized softly, not daring to look up in fear of the teacher's strict and piercing gaze.

"Sorry who? And say it louder."

"Sorry, Tiffany Hwang MiYoung."

Jessica practically shouted out loudly, causing the other kids in the room to stare at them. Some had started giggling while others tried hard to stifle their laughter, however, the girl to whom Jessica had apologized started crying again. It was known to all the kids in the school that Tiffany disliked her Korean name, that's why she had an English name even though she is a born and bred Korean. It made her feel older than she actually was. Besides, her Korean name reminds her of her grandmother, who had passed away. Her grandmother, whom Tiffany greatly adored, used to call her by her Korean name; hence the name itself brought back memories of her deceased grandparent.

"Jessica Jung Soo Yeon!"

The teacher spoke louder, allowing the whole class to hear the Korean name of another born and bred Korean. Unlike Tiffany, Jessica did not hate her Korean name. She had an English name was because her father is an American; hence she was given an English name so that the relatives of her father's side could call her easily.

"Yes Ma'am."

Jessica gave a wide smile as she glanced at the sniffling girl before looking up to her teacher who was frowning away. As much as the teacher would like to teach Jessica a lesson, somehow the girl would manage to get out of it, hence after some time, they gave up.

"Don't let me see you bullying Tiffany again. Is that clear?"

"Yes Ma'am."

Jessica gave a salute as she watched the back of the teacher retreating out of the classroom and turned out of sight.

"Tiffany's a pink panther. Tiffany's a pink panther."

The moment Jessica ensured that the teacher was out of hearing distance; she started singing in a sing-along voice while skipping around the said girl. The latter had now stopped crying and was pouting away. Even though her sadness did not come in a form of tears, she was still hurting in her heart, which she promised she would tell no one.

That year, the girls were 5 years old.

---

"Liar!"

A young girl in uniform has her fists tightly clenched and her teeth gritting together. Her body was tense and her eyes stared straight. The only thing that probably differentiated the girl from the others was that she was trying hard to hold back her tears.

"I'm not lying. Your mum doesn't want you anymore, that's why she left you."

"No! You liar! You liar!"

The thought of her mother leaving her and not wanting her broke the dam around her eyes as tears poured out. Jessica stood by the side staring at her with a blank expression. It was not clear whether she felt ashamed of her actions for the poor girl that instant or whether she was smirking in her heart behind the blank expression.

"Yah! Jessica Jung, apologize to Tiffany right now!"

It was only when this boy by the name of Taeng came up to Tiffany's rescue and started comforting her that Tiffany's cry slowly turned into sniffs. By then, her eyes were puffy and red from crying.

"Jessica Jung! Apologize now!"

Seeing the scene before her made Jessica's blood boil but still she knew she was no match for the petite boy. Even though the young boy was small in size, he was one of the best fighters in school, having a few championship champion to his name in taekwondo.

With a smirk, Jessica left the classroom, her head held high. She was determined not to let anger or any other feelings interfere with her right then and neither was she going to apologize.

That year, the girls were 8 year old.

---

"Liar!"

In the background, Tiffany was fuming with rage while Jessica was laughing at her once again.

"Taeng would not leave me!"

"Why not? You are such a clingy and whining girl. Who would like you?"

Tiffany clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. She was determined to hold her front this time, not allowing Jessica to break her down.

Even though Tiffany knew that Taeng had to leave Korea because his father had relocated his job overseas, and thus his whole family was migrating; it still hurts her to know that her best friend was leaving her behind alone. The duo had become best friends ever since 8, when Jessica had teased Tiffany about her mother. Throughout the years, they shared secrets, played, eat and studied together, earning the title of being a couple for they were almost inseparable. Whenever you find Tiffany, you would be able to find Taeng nearby and vice versa. That was how close the duo's relationship was. Therefore, when Taeng had to leave Korea, the two best friends were equally sad to part. Even though they had promised to keep in touch, the thought of not being able to see each other was enough to kill them. That day was the first day of school Tiffany was left alone since Taeng left. She was feeling miserable and hid in a corner to let her tears out but was unfortunately 'caught' by Jessica.

"Taeng doesn't want you, just like your mother. That's why they left you!"

At the mention of her mother, Tiffany could not hold back her tears and broke down. Even though it has been years, Tiffany still could not forget her mother. Jessica, as usual, stood by the side of the crying girl simply watching her with her usual blank expression.

That year, the girls were 12.

---

"You liar!"

Tiffany screamed at the girl before her. Jessica had been teasing her about her little crush, which had been accidentally leaked out by one of Tiffany's friends.

"Why would I lie about it? Yul wouldn't like you, because he's dating me."

"Liar!"

Tiffany screamed once more, her heart crushed at the thought of her crush with Jessica.

"I'm not lying. It's true."

At just that moment, Yul walked into the classroom, earning gasps from the girls outside the classroom. Yul was every girl's dream. He was y, popular, muscular and not to mention the captain of the basketball team, which was highly praised by the school and the students alike.

"Hey."

Yul walked over and hugged Jessica comfortably by her waist. Tiffany stared, her crushed heart shattered when she saw Yul placing a kiss on Jessica's cheek. Determined not to let the girl see her vulnerable side, Tiffany ran off to the bathroom crying.

It had taken weeks or even months for the young lady's heart to heal, but even so, whenever she saw Jessica and Yul together, her heart would still hurt; hence Tiffany would avoid the couple whenever she could.

That year, the young ladies were 15.

---

"You liar!"

"Why would I lie about this?"

Jessica asked with a frown. She had been telling Tiffany about how her boyfriend was cheating on her and even had pictures to prove, but Tiffany had refused to believe her. In the young lady's mind, Jessica was a liar, hence there was no way Tiffany could believe the latter's words.

"You're lying."

"I'm not."

"Liar!"

"Fine, if you don't believe me, I will prove it to you."

Jessica took out her phone and immediately dialed the young man's number. Within a number of rings, the phone was picked up.

"Hello. Hae isn't free right now. May I know who is this on the line?"

An unfamiliar voice came through the speaker, shocking Tiffany. Jessica, on the other hand, remained calm as she continued the conversation.

"Jessica here, Donghae's friend. May I know who's on the line?"

"Jieun. Donghae's girlfriend."

"Oh, hi. Can you please tell Donghae that I said hi."

"Oh, okay."

With that, Jieun hung up the phone leaving Tiffany dumbfounded and Jessica calm. Jessica observed the young lady's face. It was obvious that the latter was angry and shocked. Her habit of clenching her fists tightly and staring ahead, looking as though she wanted to kill somebody was enough to tell Jessica that she was feeling anger rising through her body.

"I don't believe you. You are lying!"

Tiffany tried hard to contain her tears. Donghae was her first boyfriend and Tiffany as pretty much in love with him, even greater than it was with Yul.

"You know you can cry."

Tiffany bit her lower lips, trying hard not to cry. She did not want to appear weak anymore to Jessica and much more, she did not want to subject to Jessica's teasing anymore. It was bad enough that she was teased every time she met the latter and it was worse to know that the latter had seen every emotion in her. It was as though Tiffany was bare and for Jessica to see through her, which Tiffany hated. However, she could not help it when in fact it was Jessica who helped her this time.

"I promise I won't laugh or tease you. I promise I won't say anything to anybody."

Hearing that, even though Tiffany still refused to show her weak side, tears had already started rolling down her cheeks on their own accord. Soon, she was leaning on Jessica's shoulder, sobbing to her heart content with the latter her hair comforting her.

That year, the girls were 18.

---

"Liar!"

Tiffany stared wide-eyed at the girl before her, holding a bouquet of red roses. It was Valentine's Day and out of all the days, the girl had chosen this day to confess to Tiffany, and Tiffany, of course though the girl was joking.

"I'm not, Tiff. I really am not."

"You are lying, you liar!"

Jessica stood in the middle of the crowd, her face red in embarrassment as she faced an angry Tiffany who was still seemingly shocked at the confession. Neither of the girls knew what to do or how to react in this situation. Tiffany wanted to get away from the crowd, while Jessica simply wanted the girl to accept her. However, to Tiffany, all of these was seen as a joke, especially when the girl before her was her 'worst' enemy ever, always teasing her whenever she had the time and energy. Hence, there was no way Tiffany could believe her words.

"I'm really not lying. I like you, no, I love you a lot Tiffany. I promise I will take care of you and protect you forever. Please be my girlfriend."

"I... I don't believe you. You are lying!!"

With that, Tiffany turned to her heels and walked away, leaving Jessica staring broken-hearted behind her. The crowd around them was whispering, but neither the girls paid attention to it.

For the first time in her life, Jessica felt her heart shattering as she watched the retreating back. For the first time in her life, Jessica felt weak and vulnerable as her tears started circling in her eyes, only to be blocked by her eyelids to prevent it from dropping. She was not going to look vulnerable and neither is she going to be weak, especially not in front of a group of strangers.

That year, the ladies were 20.

---

"Liar!!!"

Instead of the usual anger that was portrayed by the girl when she screamed those words, it was replaced with agony. The girl was running frantically around the airport, trying to look for a familiar face. Her teeth sank into her lower lips as she tried hard not to let tears out from her eyes. In her hand, clutched a letter that the love of her life had sent to her, but Tiffany had refused to read it until that day, only to realize that was the day when Jessica had to leave. Praying hard that the girl had not boarded the plane, Tiffany tried to look everywhere, but there was nowhere she could find her.

Ever since her rejection of Jessica 2 years ago, Tiffany could not forget the crest-fallen eyes. She could not forget how the girl had teased and made fun of her. She could not forget how she had always found herself crying and shouting in front of her. However, neither could she forget the small actions that made Tiffany slowly fell for her, how she had allowed the girl to cry on her shoulder, how she had always followed behind her when they went home even though they were not on best terms, and how she had always ensured that she was not bullied by others even though she was the one bullying her. Even though Tiffany had rejected her confession, the girl did not stop caring for Tiffany in her own ways. The only things that changed was that despite Jessica still carried on her teasing, Tiffany did not feel as irritated as she was when she was young. As Tiffany reminisced of all these small moments that she realized that she could not forget that particular girl who had made a huge impact in her life. By then, it was too late. The girl had already left for the airport, ready to leave.

"You promise you would take care of me. You promise you would protect me."

Finally giving up, Tiffany slumped into a corner of the enormous airport, her fingers clutching the paper tightly, crumpling them as tears fell onto the paper, wetting it. The words slowly became unrecognizable as the tears smudged the ink on it, but it was nothing compared to the tearing of Tiffany's heart. However then, there was nothing Tiffany could do besides waiting patiently for the girl to return, hoping that the latter could still remember her.

That year, the ladies were 22.

---

"Liar!"

Tiffany shouted in rage and agony. She could only stare at the girl before her who was holding the hand of another man, who was handsome and charismatic. In her rage and disappointment, she had failed to notice that the man was in fact Yul, her one time crush in her school days.

Jessica had returned to Seoul with shocking news. She had announced to Tiffany just 5 minutes ago that she was engaged to Yul, but Tiffany had refused to believe it. Hence, in order to prove to Tiffany, the couple had kissed each other fully on the lips while the stunned girl watched from the side, too shocked and depressed to say anything. She could not believe that the girl she had waited for so patiently, rejecting tons of men who asked for her hand, had been engaged, and what's worse was she was engaged to a perfect bachelor, not to mention that the two had dated before in school. Yul had also become more charismatic and handsome, and was also one of the rising businessmen in the society. Besides that, he was also a philanthropist who funded many organizations around the country. There was no way Tiffany would beat the rich and successful bachelor. Hence, there she was, left to heal her heart by herself, while regretting the decision she had made to reject Jessica.

That year, the ladies were 24.

---

"You liar!!"

"No hon. I promise I am not lying."

Jessica scratched the back of her head in frustration. It had irritated her to no end that Tiffany did not believe her words when she said the latter was beautiful. The fact was, she is, always beautiful in the former's eyes. In fact, Jessica had already liked Tiffany since the first day she saw her at the kindergarten when they were only 5, but because of her character, she could not help but at every cute mistakes she made. She had wanted to comfort her but it was just that whatever she said simply came out as something hateful. Hence, she had always regretted making the latter cry.

"I'm fat right?"

"No hon, you aren't. You are really beautiful. I'm sure that our baby will come out fine."

Jessica placed a gentle kiss on Tiffany's forehead, her hand caressing her wife's stomach. It has been a year since Tiffany found out that Yul was Jessica's cousin and Jessica had been in a car accident thus rendering her legs useless prior to leaving for America 4 years ago. Hence, Jessica wanted Tiffany to forget about her so as not to be a burden to her and thus the lie. Ever since the truth came out, Tiffany had been relenting pursuing Jessica, on the bet that the latter still loved her. She had managed to melt the icy heart of Jessica by promising that she would be there for her in any circumstances and had used her actions to prove it. Hence after a few months, the couple finally tied the knot few months later.

Soon after, Tiffany found Jessica to be constantly staring at happy families, playing with their child. Wanting Jessica to be happy, Tiffany decided that she would be the one getting pregnant. It was tough at first with the morning sickness but at the thought of having their own kid, everything was bearable until 5 months into pregnancy, Tiffany became insecure about her weight and size and hence the current situation.

"I hope the baby will have your eye-smiles."

"That's all?"

"Yup."

Jessica gave a gentle smile as she placed her face on the rounded belly, listening to the baby's heartbeat.

"Not my character?"

"Nope. I don't want to have a whiny baby who cries all day."

"Yah! That's because you always bully me."

"Nah... I love you now hon and I'm not lying. I love out child too."

Jessica placed a light kiss on Tiffany's belly and proceeding up to the lady's lips before hugging them tighter. They would wait, wait patiently for their only child to be born and announced to the world.

That year, the ladies were 27.

---

"Liar!"

"Honey, calm down hon!"

Jessica was frantically trying to smooth the soon-to-be mum as she laid on the bed, her legs spread and her forehead covered with perspiration.

"It's painful Jessica. You lied."

"I know it is, hon. I know. But listen to me. I love you and our child. Take a deep breath and push. Come'on hon, you can do it."

Tiffany took a really deep breath and pushed with all her might. Her fingers dug into Jessica's skin but the latter refused to let the pain seep through her body. She was there for her wife and their child to give any support, be it physically or mentally or emotionally.

With one last push, Tiffany slumped down in exhaustion as she breathed heavily with Jessica whispering words of comforts in her ears. Soon, wails of a newborn baby rang through the air with shouts of happiness and smiles greeted the new arrival to the world.

"Hon, look. She's our child. She has your eye-smiles. Pretty, just like her mother."

"You're lying. How can she have my eye-smiles when she doesn't have my genes?"

"I don't know." Jessica shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe the donor of the have an eye-smile too, hence she has it."

Together, the couple cradled their new addition to the family as they stared lovingly at their sleeping child.

That year, the ladies were 28.

---

"Liar!"

Jessica massaged her forehead tensely as she stared at her wife.

"Seriously hon. Can you stop calling me a liar? Ever since 5, the only frequent sentence that I heard from you was 'liar'. And it's not even anywhere near to 'I love you'."

The couple was cuddling on the couch as they watched their daughter playing with her toys. Despite Jessica’s immobility, Tiffany had been accommodating, trying her best to do whatever she could for her wife and child. At times, it was so tough that Tiffany felt she was going to collapse, but each time the moment Jessica or her daughter smiled at her, she knew everything was worth it. Just like the moment, Jessica had told Tiffany that she was the most beautiful person on earth to which Tiffany frowned in disapproval.

"Just admit that you are one."

"No I'm not!"

Pretending to be angry, Jessica slid down to their 2 years old daughter and started playing with her.

"Steph... Jessi Umma is not a liar right?"

Stephanie looked up at Jessica and gave a toothless grin.

"Liar..."

With that word, Jessica exaggeratingly crumbled to the floor while Tiffany simply chuckled at the scene.

"Look hon. Even Steph thinks that you are a liar..."

"Fine."

Jessica pouted as she crossed her arms and turned her back childishly. Seeing the scene, Tiffany slid behind Jessica and gave her a back hug, giving her a chaste kiss on her cheeks.

"It doesn't matter hon, because we know you are speaking the truth and will always speak the truth to me and Steph, right hon?"

"Yup. Always."

Jessica nodded her head enthusiastically with a wide smile on her face but Tiffany knew better.

"Liar. See that’s why you are a liar. You are lying again hon.”

"I'm not."

“How about last week when you told me you were out with a friend when actually you…”

“It was only that once…”

“Liar!”

“I’m not…”

And the bickering about lying continues even after their daughter grew up to be beautiful and smart and of course, took after her Jessica umma in getting her girl the very same way Jessica did – through ‘lying’ and teasing much to the headache of Tiffany and her girlfriend who suffered the same fate in marrying 'liars' but still, none of them minded for they knew that when their other halves said they love them, they were not lying.

-END-


PS: Pretty much a sequel to Hyohyun's Stolen. I honestly like that one-shot but I have no idea how did I manage to write in such a cheesy way.. This isn't asbad right?

Shall I make another similar one? Who shall it be?! 

Till then...