Reunion (OT9)

Life tales

Silence with occasional rustling filled the air as a crowd waited impatiently yet orderly behind the barriers. With each passing minute, the crowd seemed to grow, all the way outside the door of the airport. Eyes stared at the tiny screen right above the arrival gate, waiting expectantly for the 'arrival' sign to appear on a particular aircraft.

Minutes later, the 'arrival' sign appeared as the crowd anticipated the arrival of the new passengers. For those who do not know would think that these people were waiting for Beyoncé or some KPOP stars that had captured their hearts. However, on closer look, one would realize that these people are nowhere near the teenagers that the public was accustomed to as fans; instead most of them were in their mid-30s, 40s or even 50s with occasional glimpse of youngsters. Indeed, these people were anticipating the arrival of members from the most popular KPOP group, or rather used to be the most popular group.

---

Fingers tapped lightly on the cheek of a red head, only to receive no response. A groan sounded through the empty aircraft, earning curious looks from the staff who were looking at them amused.

"Steph... Stephanie...." A sigh erupted from the lips of an irritated brunette as hands moved down to the shoulders of the sleeping lady. Fingers clutched firmly on the shoulders and with few quick yet harsh shakes, the lady jolted up in shock.

"What?" The brunette flinched at the loud voice, rubbing her ear as she eyed the furious lady.

"We have landed." She said as she turned around, dragging her small hand carrier and sashayed towards the door. "Hurry up! The whole aircraft has been waiting for you for hours."

"Coming." Stephanie pursed her lips in irritation as she reached to grab her luggage. "Can't believe I'm working for such a person." She mumbled under her breath.

"Just reminding you that your voice isn't as soft as you think it is. And that person unfortunately happened to be your boss." The brunette retorted, earning a glare from her friend.

A giggle burst out from one of the stewardess at the bickering scene caught the brunette's attention as the latter immediately turned towards the source, who stopped laughing at the sight of a piercing glare.

"Look! Even the stewardess had to laugh at you." The brunette chided. "Hurry up! I'm not going to spend my valuable time on the aircraft. Time is money!"

"I know. I'm coming."

Checking their seats once more, the red-head walked towards the blonde as they finally stepped off the aircraft, but not before apologizing to the staff for taking their time.

With their fashionable sunglasses sitting perfectly on the bridge of their noses, the duo made their way down the familiar hallway that they used to walked every week.

"I can't believe we are back. In Incheon." The brunette glanced around, wowed at how much had changed during the past few years.

"Neither can I. But we are back anyways. I missed it here." The red head smiled, her eyes forming into a familiar crescent shape.

Continuing their way towards the baggage area, the duo continued to be amazed at all the new facilities and technologies that had been installed in the building, playing the newest xbox games and checking out some of the newest cosmetic and wine store. It was only when a small, shy voice called out to them that they turned around, coming face to face with a fidgety young lady.

"May we help you?" The red head asked with a gentle smile that seemed to make the lady flushed red and tremble.

"You are scaring her." The brunette said.

"Am not. I'm not scaring you, am I?"

"No..." The young lady stuttered, as her eyes darted anywhere but the duo before her.

"You were the stewardess who was giggling on the plane, right?"

The girl nodded shyly. Fingers rubbed nervously against each other as she took a deep breath. "Please, may I have your signatures please?"

ing a piece of paper towards the red head, she lowered her head, almost pleading them to do her the favor.

"We would be glad to. But how do you know us?" Eyes glanced at the badge pinned on the girl's uniform. "Minjong sshi." She reached out for the paper and pen, quickly scribbling her signature and name before passing it to the brunette.

"Yes, I do. My mum used to be your fan. No, my mum is still a fan of you. So is my dad. They met during a concert and then again at several fan meetings. That's how they knew each other." Minjong paused, smiling sheepishly. "They would still play the songs at home and sing to it. They always say the songs energized them and give them hope. My brother and I were influenced by them and we love the group too."

"Aww... Thank you. Thank you so much." Stephanie gushed, touched at her newly known fan.

"It's an honor to meet both of you. You two are still so pretty. My dad used to say that you guys are the prettiest and no other group could even come close to them in terms of talent, beauty and wits."

"Really? Please say thank you to your dad for me." Stephanie smiled before lowering her voice. "So who is your favorite member from the group?"

The girl smiled sheepishly as she lowered her head.

"I guess it's not one of us." A cold voice interrupted, causing Minjong to recoiled slightly in shock.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Minjong panicked, her eyes started b in tears. Upon seeing that, Stephanie became flustered as she met Minjong's eyeline.

"Just let her be. She's probably cranky from the jet lag and long hours in the plane. It's okay. It's alright." Stephanie comforted the young lady, turning around to shoot a glare at her companion before snatching the signed paper from the latter.

"Here. Our signatures. Please tell your parents and brother, thank you for supporting us through the years. We are glad that we are able to bring joy to your family.” Stephanie smiled as she gently patted the lady's shoulder. "Thank you."

"Thank you. Thank you. You are really pretty, unnie."

Giving one last smile, the duo watched as the stewardess skipped to her colleagues who were staring from afar. As soon as Minjong was out of sight, Stephanie turned towards her best friend, slapping her on her arm while chiding her for not be friendly.

"I'm the Ice Princess, what can you expect." The brunette shrugged as she strode towards the baggage area.

---

“Unnie! Hurry up!”

A tall slim lady breezed through the crowd of people, not bothering to cover her excitement as she searched for their luggage on the conveyor belt. Behind her, a petite blonde lady rushed forward, only to be engulfed by a group of tourists who happened to walk by her, blocking her view of the younger sister.

“Unnie!”

“Ya Juhyun-ah… Stop walking so quickly. I could barely keep up with you.”

“Then run.”

Juhyun strode towards her older sister with two of their luggage in toll, catching sight of the pout on her older sister’s face.

“You are always making fun of me.”

“Unnie, I’m not.” Juhyun looked at her sister, eyeing her up and down only to conclude with an exaggerated sigh. “I think you grew shorter.”

A hit on the younger’s head was expected as she pursed her lips into a crying face while rubbing her head only to be ignored by the older lady. Passer-bys who had caught sight of the playful banter smiled warmly as they recognized the familiar faces of the two, or maybe just one. After all, one of them was a rising musical star, starring in many great musicals and winning awards inside and outside Korea. The other though had retreated backstage, she was still coming up with many hit choreographs that received the love of fans everywhere with occasional appearances on stage.

“Do you think all the unnies will be back?” Juhyun asked, her eyes filled with nervousness and worry.

“They will. We didn’t forget right? Neither would they.” The blonde smiled as she patted the younger’s back with affection. Hooking an arm with her younger sister, the duo strode towards the arrival gate, anticipation and nervousness filled their heart with every step.

---

An enormous pair of sunglasses covered her eyes and a cap pulled down on her head, an exhausted lady gave a polite nod and smile to the staff before alighting from the aircraft. Walking down the tunnel towards the airport, she took in the sight of the massive aircraft with the Seoul airlines emblem on its tail. A smile crept onto her face as she was reminded of her past.

A tap on her shoulder jolted her out of her memory as she turned to her manager beside her who was watching her carefully. Having been overseas for the past few weeks, her manager knew how exhausted the lady was, rushing through her schedules just so she could return to Korea on that day.

“Do you think they will be back?”

The manager looked at the lady, who seemed to space out, staring blankly at the floor as they walked. The latter’s tone laced with worry and anxiousness.

“They will. They definitely will.”

“How do you know?” She bit on her lip, a sign that she was doubtful yet hopeful. “You have never met them.”

“But you have told me all about them. You told me how much they meant to you, how much the group meant to each of them. You told me how much hurt and pain the group has gone through when you had to release a member from the group and how much everyone struggled to stay afloat even though you felt like dying inside. Your eyes sparkle when you speak of your fans, shining brightly the most when you tell your stories of the group.” The manager paused, clasping a hand over the lady’s shoulder. “You trust them, don’t you?” The lady nodded. “Then trust them with all your heart.”

Hearing that, the lady smiled gently, silently thanking her manager for instilling hope in her as her steps quickened with a slight bounce.

---

Eyes glanced continuously at the clock as the car stopped in the traffic. Fingers tapped anxiously on the wheel as she sighed. Of all days, there had to be an accident along the highway causing a massive traffic jam and of all days, she had to stay and record her last song of her album. She sighed audibly in hopes to release the frustration in her.

Head darted left and right as she looked for a way to go through the traffic quickly, yet the line seemed to be never-ending, and the cars were not moving at all. She closed her eyes in resignation. She was going to be late, really late.

Fingers pressed the stereo of her car and familiar voices rang out. She smiled. The harmonized voices of the group have never failed to brighten up her mood, her source of vitamin for the past few years. She had missed them so much, finding herself alone in her dorm going through past music videos and programs they had filmed together. For the first time in her life after the end of their contracts, she had never felt so alone. The first few months were hard to survive as she found her eyes staring at their pictures most of the time with a regretful heartache. However, as time passed, she kept them deep in her heart and buried herself in work. They tried to keep in contact with each other yet the busy schedules of the other members and time difference often made it hard to. She sighed once more, her feet stepping gently on the accelerator as her car crawled forward.

They made a promise. They would keep it right?

---

“Thank you. Thank you for coming on our program today.”

She smiled as brightly as she could, while hoping that the guests would leave already. Eyes darted between the clock on the wall and a short petite girl who was tapping her feet impatiently. Anxiousness built in her heart, but she had to keep her professionalism.

“Thank you, noona, for inviting us.” The rookies bowed at her, smiling from ear to ear. She returned the smile half-heartedly, her frustration and impatience not noticed by them.

“It’s not a problem. I hope that you guys will continue to work hard.”

“Yes noona. Do you mind if we take a picture with you? We are your fan.”

She made eye contact at the petite girl who was tapping her watch in frustration, but she could only mouthed a sorry. Quickly a picture was taken as the rookies thanked her once more, only for her to give a quick smile.

“Noona…”

“Sorry, I have to go.” She interrupted, startling the rookie group. Seeing how the group stood awkwardly as though they had invaded her privacy, she could only give a quick smile, patting them on their shoulders. “I’m sorry, but I am rushing to go somewhere. We will catch up more when we meet next time, all right? Till then, work hard.”

“Yes, noona.” The group bowed once more.

Without another word, the popular MC rushed to the soundman, passing him her microphone before dashing out of the studio with the petite girl following closely behind much to the shock of the staff. They had never seen their host running off no matter how busy or how late the program had wrapped up. She had always stayed behind to help out the staff or discuss the next episode with the producer, hence to see her missing right after the recording was a surprise, but most of them smiled. They had guessed the people involved since they had spotted the petite girl, who used to be a familiar face together with their host on the program, waiting for her.

Buckling their seatbelts, the duo sped through the traffic and within minutes, they were on the highway, heading towards a common destination in mind.

“Hurry up! We are going to be late.”

“Blame yourself. I was waiting for you since forever.”

“I can’t help it that the recording dragged longer than expected. I didn’t expect Saeyoon oppa to keep talking and asking them questions.”

“Whatever, be glad that we are not far away from the place or else they would kill you.”

“You would save me right?”

“Never.”

The duo fell into a comfortable silence, with one focusing on the road while the other staring mindlessly out of the window.

“You think we will see them there?”

The shorter lady kept her silence, the same question running in her head.

“We only spoke about the promise once on television jokingly. No one mentioned anything after. Will they remember?”

---

Fingers clicked on the top of her phone mindlessly, her eyes staring at the date and time. Lips pursed in tightly and eyebrows furrowed as her eyes shifted to wallpaper of her phone. Heart pounded against her ribcage as she glanced out of the window. The familiar structure of the control tower came into view, so near yet so far. She sighed, leaning back into her seat. Her eyes drifted to the empty space beside and behind her, she smiled, remembering of the chatter and laughter that was always there when they were together, but now that she was alone in the car big enough for six people, she had never felt so alone, yet it was something she had gotten used to.

Plugging her earpiece in her ear, a familiar song rang out. A smile carved onto her face as she hummed the all-so-familiar melody. Fingers slide through the photos she had in her phone, ranging from years before their debut and recent selcas of her past members that they had playfully sent to each other. It brought back bitter and sweet memories, memories that had her heart pained and ached so much that she thought she would die, memories that had her cringed up in cheesiness and memories that she looked up upon with pride and fondness, and most importantly, memories that she knew she would willingly go through them again just to be together with these people.

She took another quick glance out of the window. The control tower was looming nearer and she could almost see the arrival hall sign. She gulped as her heart pounded faster and louder as she fidgeted anxiously. Soon, they would meet again after years. They would be there right?

-TBC-