Chapter 4

Garden Mysteries

Baekjung's 14th of July celebration was held every year on the square down town. On the green by the fountain, families and church groups set up tables and brought food so everyone could sample delicacies before the fireworks display. Kims always bought honeysuckle wine so people could see in the dark. 

The Kims had a table off to the side. Yoona was over in the kids section, making paper hats and socializing with other kids, getting her face painted. So it left Ryeowook and Jaejoong at the hooch. It wasn't uncomfartable but rather a silent agreement, Ryeowook could now confidently say that he and his hyung had started lossening up they were back on good terms, they would have small talks here and there making up on what Ryeowook had missed and has changed in the town when he was away. People would quietly come by for small paper cups of honeysuckle wine and every once in while the sheriff would stroll by and ask, 'Now, this is non-alcholic right?'

And Jaejoong would answer, straight faced, as every Kim had, 'Of course.'

When Ryeowook was a teenager, 14th of July always meant spending the day at friend's pool, then showing up on the green just in time for the fireworks. Back then Ryeowook used to envy the life of privilige looking at his friend's back yard pool parties or barbeques and girls getting tanned in bathing suits, he used to always like those days, but thinking about that now made him realize something, or actually he always had this thing somewhere deep in the back of his mind but he never stressed on it, feeling absolutely guilty now, that he is grown up and has learned the truth of the world or rather the art of living. Back then he used to envy but now he is content knowing high class priviliges are not always something you need. He wished desperately that if going back in time he would take something back it would be this, he so wanted to spend his teen days with his Hyung, but being the somewhat sickly-in-love teenager he had been, he abandoned his brother, thinking back now he realized that it wasn't time who made them seperate it was their or rather his choice of going out his way and unconciously pushing the brotherhood bond in between them. He wondered if that's what made his Hyung a little grumpy and a little detached from him.

Juri walked up and took a cup of wine. 'Ohh, I need this,' she said, throwing back the wine like a shot. 'There is so much to do. I need to give something to Yoona.' She sat the cup down and brought a truly gaudy brooch out of her tote bag. It was made of clear but yellow crytal in starburst pattern, faintly vintage style.

'She is getting her face painted now,' Ryeowook said.

'Ok, I'll stop by there. Yunho is helping me organise my house. I found it in an old jewellery box we came across and when I saw it I knew I had to give it to Yoona.'

Jaejoong leaned forward in his seat. 'Yunho? Isn't he your niece?'

' Yes just like you and well we got some help from Yoochun too, they get along well.' Juri said shrugging lightly.

'Yoochun has been helping you?'

'He and Yunho have come up with a system for all stuff I have. They created something called a spreadsheet.'

'I've been offering to help you with that for years, Juri.' Jaejoong said. He seemed hurt, while Ryeowook watched the exchange in amusement.

'I know, but I didn't want to bother you with it. But since Yunho is living with me---'

'Living with you?' Jaejoong exclaimed, surprise evident on his face.

'Well, he is just shifted here, so we figured he might as well be comfortable while he's there. He's turning the the attic into his own little apartment and making some improvements in the house, with Yoochun's help.' She stressed on the last part trying to emphasize something, to which she got a knowing smirk from Wook and a exhasperated head shake from Jaejoong.

'You know if you ever need me, I'm here for you,' Jaejoong said.

'I know.' She said patting Jae's cheek and the putting the brooch back in her bag. 'After Yoona, I have to give Cherie a lily stan pendant. See you later.'

'Bye Juri. Call me if you need me.'

After a few minutes and another walk-by from the sheriff, Ryeowook nudged Jaejoong.

'In case you haven't noticed, Changmin keeps looking at you.' Tease evident in his voice.

Jaejoong snuck a glance, then groaned. 'Damn. You had to go and make an eye contact. Now he is coming over.'

'Oh, heaven forbid.' Ryeowook said, trying to stifle the laughing fits.

'Yah, well, I'm not the only one who's been stared down. You've got one too.' Jaejoong indicated a canopy across the green with Cho's dairy written on it. A handsome man, dark brown hair and lean, was scooping ice cream out of the electric ice cream makers to put on paper cones. He was tall not as tall a Changmin but he was solid, as if made to withstand wind. He kept looking over to the Kim's table.

'That's Cho Kyuhyun,' Jaejoong said.

'Kyuhyun! I'd almost forgotten him. We were......friends, I guess in elementary school. We grew apart though after sometime.'

'Why?' Jaejoong asked amused, his eyes darting to Changmin as he got closer.

'Because I was blind in high school,' Ryeowook said grumpily, it was the same reason as to why he and Jaejoong grew apart.

'You were not.' Jaejoong said, slapping lightly on Wook's shoulder.

'Was so,' Ryeowook said arguing.

'Hey guys, need a referee?' Changmin said standing right in front of Jaejoong.

'Hi, Changmin.' Ryeowook said, daritng a smirk in Jaejoong's direction and getting a kick in the shin as a reply.

'Jaejoong, your hair,' Changmin said, and Jaejoong's hand went to his hair self-conciously. He had almost forgotten that he had cut short his shoulder lenght hair, Ryewook had insisted on it rambling along the lines like a-little-change-won't-bite, he had agreed after a lot of whining and pleading on Ryeowook's and Yoona's part. Now that his hair was cut it exposed parts that were hidden, like his nape, his neck and collarbone of which he was a little too much concious.

'It's beautiful. I had a dream..... I dreamed your hair was like this once. I'm sorry, there was no way for that to not sound stupid.' He said embarassed, scratching his nape, then rubbing his hands together while Jaejoong had a pink tint all over from his cheeks to his neck and was a lot overwhlemed with the compliment that he couldn't speak, at this point it had become really difficult for Ryeowook to stifle his laughter that he had to cover his mouth and clutch his stomach hard to keep from laughing out loud and catching unnecessary attention.

'So everyone keeps telling me I need to drink some of the Kim's honeysuckle wine.' Changmin said, trying to change the topic.

'Honeysuckle wine helps you see in the dark,' Jaejoong said, finally finding the nerve to talk. 'Have it or don't have it. Walk into a tree when it's dark. Fall over a kerb. I don't care.' Jaejoong continued a little rudely.

Changmin just shrugged, picked up a paper cup and drank the wine, not taking his eyes off Jaejoong as he did so. Ryeowook just sat back and smiled. It was like watching a dance when only one of them knew the steps.

When Changmin walked away, Jaejoong rounded and glared at Ryeowook, while he just looked up at his Hyung sheepishly.

'Oh, go socialise and stop feeling your Kim oats,' Jaejoong said, shaking his head. But there was a hint of smile, the beginning of something new and close between them.

It felt good.

===================================================================================================

A/N: Anneyong,

Ren here, I'm apologizing for this late update......

Don't worry I would try to update whenever I get time because I'm stictly prohibited from my laptop or computer as it deteriorates my health but yet I'm sneaking somehow and trying to get back soon....

Well, here is a small update with a little light and sweet interaction between this brothers, all you readers had asked me to start and show some love in brotherhood and so I updated this, I know it's not much but I have tried my best .

Thank you!!! Take care!!!

Love you all......... 

(Oh and I wanted to ask something really important that do you guys want me to add in this if you do please let me know In advance, so that I can prepare it soon or else I would have to edit and eliminate the s I have started to write. Please let me know soon.) :P