Chapter 3 (B)

Garden Mysteries

It was five in the evening when Jaejoong, Ryeowook and Yoona had arrived home from catering the luncheon in Yeonsu-gu. Yoona had fallen asleep in the van. Wook had thought that Jaejoong might be peeved at having to take Yoona along, but surprisingly Jae didn't argue at all instead he was the one who didn't want to leave Yoona alone with Juri. They'd been in town only three days. So Ryeowook wasn't leaving his daughter alone in a new place. 

Yoona had enjoyed, everytime Jaejoong and Ryeowook came back from collecting plates or refreshing drinks, Yoona had cleaned them up and set them where they should be belonging, instinctively as she knew where things supposed to be.

Ryeowook picked Yoona up and led her to her bedroom, setting her on the bed. Then he changed into shorts and a T-shirt, thinking jaejoong was going to do the same before unloading the things from the van. But when Wook got downstairs. Jae had bought everything in, in that short time and set the kitchen and was now loading the dishwasher and filling the carafes with baking soda and hot water.

'I was going to help you,' Wook said.

Jaejoong looked up surprised to find him there. 'I can do this. When I hire people, it's only to serve. You can relax. I didn't know if you did prefer a cheque or cash, so I went with the cash. The envelope is there.' He pointed to the kitchen table.

Ryeowook paused a moment. He didn't understand. Didn't they work well together? What was he supposed to do? If Jaejoong wouldn't let him do the housework, he would go crazy.

'Can't I help you with anything?' Wook asked still trying.

'I have got this covered. This is my routine, don't worry go take rest.' Jaejoong said sensing the tiredness in Wook.

Without another word, Ryeowook picked up the envelope and walked outside through the back. He ;eaned against his car and counted the money in the envelope. Jaejoong was really being generous.

Folding the envelope, he slipped it in his pocket. He didn't want to go into the house and watch Jaejoong work that made him nostalgic, so he walked to the front yard. Changmin's BMW was parked at the kerb, giving people a good idea of how much well paid he was. Impulsively, he crossed the yard and walked you to his steps. He knocked on his door and waited.

When he opened the door, he was wearing paint splattered jeans and a white t-shirt having bits and drops of colour, he looked rumpled and forgetful.

'Hi,' Wook said after he stared at him for a good few minutes, confused. As if on que, Ryeowook realized and added, 'I'm Kim Ryeowook, from next door.'

As recognition hit, Changmin smiled. 'Oh right. I remember.'

'I thought I'd come by and say hello.'

Changmin's eyes drifted behind him, then to his side. Ryeowook exactly knew what he was doing, and he wonderedhow Jaejoong had managed to make this guy do smitten. Maybe he had a thing for control freaks.

'Jaejoong's not with me.' Ryeowook said teasingly. snapping Changmin's attention.

'I'm sorry,' Changmin said, stepping back. 'Please, come in.'

 The house was brighter. and there was a nice red couch in the living room, the interior was simple, yet had a natural modern touch, and he wondered what Changmin did for earning, as the house screamed of ecstasy, it wasn't gaudy but surely attractive. Then Ryeowook noticed, rows of unframed paintings were propped against the walls, and nicely folded cardboard boxes were placed in the corner systematically, indicating he has just moved in just like them and has recently finished unpacking.

'I didn't realise you did just moved in.'

He ran a hand through his hair curling at the base, just near his nape. 'About a month ago. I've been meaning to unpack things. I was just painting in the drawing room.'

'Oh! What colour are you painting it?'

He shook his head and laughed. 'No, no. I paint in the drawing room. That's where my easel is set up.'

As Ryeowook realized his mistake, he chuckled, 'Oh! I'm so sorry, so you're an artist?'

'Yes I'm, currently I'm teaching art at SM university.' He said, and led Wook to his kitchen, where he made him sit on one of the chairs while he sat across him.

'Have long have you been in Incheon?' Wook asked.

'About a year.' He said, running his hands through his hair again, pushing it off his forehead, but the bangs fell again making him look more handsome.

'You know, I could trim your hair if you want me too.'

'I keep forgetting to get it cut. You could do it?'

'You're looking at a bonafide haristylist graduate.'

'OK sure. Thank you. I'm glad that you came by, I don't really know any of my neighbours yet.' He looked genuinely thankful.

'I'll bring my kit tomorrow to give you that trim. Do you mind if my daughter comes along?'

'Not at all, actually I pretty much like her.' He said giving a really cute smile, Wook felt like squealing.

Ryeowook studied him for a moment. 'So you like my brother.'

He'd caught him off gaurd, but it didn't occur to him not to answer. 'You cut to the chase, don't you? I don't know your brother very well. But I.... Yes, I like him. He fascinates me somehow.' He smiled and leaned forward. ' I had this dream about him with short hairs exposing his long milky neck. It was nothing like I've ever dreamed before.....' He stopped and leaned back again. 'OK i'm gonna stop now, before I sound any more ridiculous.'

He didn't sound ridiculous Ryeowook thought. He sounded nice, so nice that it made a Wook a little envious of Jaejoong. 'My daughter likes him too.'

'You don't sound happy though.' Changmin said, skeptically.

'No, I didn't meant to sound it that way.' Ryeowook sighed. 'It's just not what I expected. Hyung and I loved each other a lot as kids. I think we were both thrilled when I left town. So I think he doen't like me very much now. I didn't expect him to like Yoona also, but surprisingly they get along so well that I get left out sometimes.'

'How long were you gone?' Min sounded interested.

'Six years. I never thought I'd be back.' He shook his head, as if to shake away the thoughts. 'Do you mind my coming over? I just need to get out of that house sometimes, till me and Hyung get together on good terms.'

Changmin looked at him thoughtfully. 'You can come over any time you want, but six years is a long time to be away. There aren't any old friends you want to see?'

Ryeowook laughed hysterically. 'Two-faced backstabbers, yes; old friends, no. I was never planning on coming back.'

'Burned bridges?' Changmin asked astutely.

'Something like that.' Wook said and they both laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cho Daniel sat on an wooden lawn chair under the chestnut tree in his front yard. A ribbon of dust followed a car in the distance, coming up the long driveway to the house next to the dairy.

Daniel had come back from his heart stoke last year with a limp and a corner of his mouth that wouldn't turn up, so he spent a lot of time sitting these days, which he didn't mind. It gave him ample of time to think. Truth be told, he had always looked forward to retirement.

But there were a few niches along the way. He had to work hard when his father died when Daniel was just seventeen, which left him to run the dairy all by himself. And he and his wife were blessed with only one son. But his son married a hardworking woman and they all lived happily in that house, and his son had a son, so everything was all right. Until Daniel's wife got cancer, and his son and daughter-in-law died in a car accident two years later. Lost and grieving, he was only left alone with his grandson, Kyuhyun, to whom he held on to tightly and decided to protect and cherish the last of his family that was left.

So Daniel had only two things of constant faith: his farm and Kyuhyun.

As the car came closer, Daniel heard the door behind him shut. He turned to see that Kyuhyun had come out of the house to see who it was. It was too late for business. The sun was nearly set.

Kyuhyun called out, 'Are you expecting something, Appa?'

'My shipment to come in. But that ain't it.'

Kyuhyun walked towards his Haraboji and stood beside him. Daniel looked at his grandson. He was a handsome boy, all brown orbs, dark brown hair milky white skin, but like all Cho men he was waiting for the right person to enter in his life. All Cho men married older women. Kyuhyun was taking his time, though and Daniel had taken to helping him along a little. Daniel would tell Kyuhyun to lead the elementary school tours of the dairy if the teachers were right age and unmarried, but Kyuhyun used to always shake his head and shrugg it off like feathers stuck in his hair. He was solid and sure, hard-working and kindhearted, Kyuhyun was quiet a catch in womens- all well earned, handsome and natured, if only he wasn't so happy with himself.

But that's what happens when you're so satisfied.

The car came to a stop. Daniel didn't recognise the driver, but he did recognise the woman getting out of the passenger seat. He cackled. He always like Juri coming by. It was like finding robin in the winter. 'Looks like Juri need to give us something.'

The driver stayed in the car as Juri crossed the yard, 'Daniel,' She said, stopping in front of him and putting her hands on her hips, 'You look better every time I see you.'

'Looks like you should visit me everyday then, you know,' he teased, 'What brings you here?'

'I needed to give you this.' She reached into her bag and handed him a jar of maraschine cherries.

'Well thank you, I was craving them a lot these days.'

'You're welcome.'

'Say, who's that who brought you?'

'That's my late husband's niece, Yunho.' Juri said. 'I'll see you at Baekjung, the 14th of July celebration?'

'We'll be there,' Daniel said, and he and Kyuhyun watched her walk away.

'She gave me a ball of yarn once,' Kyuhyun said, disbelief in his tone. 'I was probably fourteen, and we were on a school trip down town, she had visited us. The very next week I needed it when I was working on a school project.'

'Everyone in this town learn their lesson young when in comes to Kim's,' Daniel said. 'Whenever they are around, sit up and pay attention.' Daniel said looking at the car pulling off their yard, amusement in his voice.

While Kyuhyun just smiled at his memories and turned around to head back in.

===================================================================================================

A/N: anneyong,

The most awaited entry, Cho Kyuhyun is here. I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes I haven't read it again, Actually I'm having really bad migraine I should be resting right now but I couldn't, it made me restless and even I had promised someone that I would update today without fail. So.....

Cho Kyuhyun's entry, I don't know if it's good you guys tell me, not quiet an encounter with ryeowook but I wanted to seem it to be natural, not like always that ryeowook and Kyuhyun met and then their eyes became one......... so on. Actually I was going to write it in his pov but then I couldn't explain his appearence, so his grand-dads (Haraboji) pov was mentioned. And also I wanted to show a friendly relationship in between Wook and Min so the link forms to Jaejoong. LOL!

(And for people who don't know, Baekjung is a festival celebrated in July- fruits and foods are been shared)

Othe than that, comments are appreciated!!

Thank you, love you all!!