Chapter 1

Garden Mysteries

Generation's of Kim's had tended the garden.

That's how on this night,

under the full moon,

Jaejoong sensed that something was about to happen.

But the garden wasn't ready to reveal the secret.

Not just yet.

 

Every full moon, when the stars winked and the moon was cresting silver, without fail, Jaejoong would dream of his childhood. He always tried to stay awake at those nights, smiling provocatively at the world like the handsome men on the billboards used to smile as they sell cigarettes and limenade. On those nights in the summer, Jaejoong would garden by the light of the foothpath lamps, weeding and t the night bloomers. The moon vine and the angel's trumpet, the night jasmine and flowering tobacco. These weren't a part of Kim legacy of edible flowers, but sleepless as he often was, Jaejoong had added flowers to the Garden to give him something to do at night when he was so wound up that frustration singed the edge of his night pajama and he set tiny fires with his fingertips.

What he dreamed of was always the same. Long roads with endless paths, sleeping in the car at night while Ha-eun, his mother, met men in the bars and honky-tonks. Being a lookout while his mother stole shampoo and deodrant and lipstick and sometimes a candy bar for him at Shops around the pathway. Then, just before he woke up his brother Ryeowook always appeared in the halo of light. Ha-eun held Ryeowook and ran to the Kim house in Icheon and the only reason Jaejoong was able to go with them was because he held his mother's leg tightly and didn't let go.

That morning, when Jaejoong woke up in the back-yard garden, he tasted regret in his mouth. With a frown, he spat it out. He was sorry for the way he'd treated his brother as a child. But the six years of Jaejoong's life before Ryeowook's arrival had been fraught with the constant fear of being caught, of being hurt, of not having enough food, and clothes for winter. His mother always came but at last minute. Ultimately, they were never caught and Jaejoong was never hurt, but life on the run had been good enough for Jaejoong, Ha-eun obviously thought Ryeowook deserved better, that Ryeowook deserved to be born with roots. And the small scared child in Jaejoong hadn't been able to forgive her.

Picking up the clippers and the trowel from the ground, he stood up stiffly and walked in the dawning fog towards the shed. The garden was queit and damp, the apple tree at the back of the lot shivering slightly as if dreaming. Generations of Kim's had tended this garden. Their history was in the soil, but so was their future. Something was about to happen, something the garden wasn't ready to him yet. He would have to keep a sharp eye out.

He went to the shed and carefully wiped the dew off the old tools and hung them on the wall. He locked the haevy gate to the garden, then crossed the driveway at the back of the ostentatious Vintage style house he inherited from his grandmother and entered the house through the back, stopping in the sun room that had been turned into drying room for the herbs and flowers. It smelled stongly of lavender and peppermint, like walking into Chirstmas memory that didn't belong to him.

It was going to be a busy day he had a dinner party to cater that night, and it was the last tuesday in May, so he had to deliver his mint and rose petal jellies and nasturtium and chive blossom vinegars to the farmers market and to the gourmet grocery on the square. There was a knock on the door as Jaejoong was dressing his hair into a pony with combs. He want downstairs in white dress shirt and biege coloured pants, still barefoot. When he opened the door, he smiled at the fire plug of an old lady standing on the porch.

Jung Juri was sixty-eight years old, looked like she was hundred and eight, yet managed to walk a mile around the track of SM College five days a week. Juri was a distant relative. Jaejoong stuck to her like static, needing to feel a connection to a family after Ryeowook took off when he was eighteen and their grandmother died the same year. Juri gave a motherly feel which relaxed him to his limbs.When Jaejoong was young. Juri would stop by to give her a Band-aid hours before he scraped his knee. When Juri brought you something, you were going to need it sooner or later.

 "Well don't you look eye-talian with your dark hair and polo dress shirt" Juri said. She was in her green velour running suit and rather large tote bag was slung over her shoulder, full of things she might feel the need to give someone at some point.

"I was just about to make some coffee," Jaejoong said, stepping back. "Come in".

"Don't mind if I do", Juri entered and followed Jaejoong to the kitchen, where she sat at the table while Jaejoong made coffee. "You know what I hate? I hate summers."

Jaejoong laughed, he loved having Juri around, "Why on earth would you hate summers? Summer is wonderful, fresh air, open windows, picking tomatoes and eating them while they're still warm from sun." Jaejoong said while setting a coffee cup on the table in front of her.

Juri peered into the cup,"You didn't put anything in it. did you?"

"You know I didn't"

"Because your side of Kims always want to put something in everything. I like things plain and simple. Which reminds me, I brought you something," Juri grabbed her tote bag and brought out a white lighter.

"Thank you, Juri" Jaejoong said as he took the lighter and put it in his pocket. "I am sure it will come handy."

Juri smiled and picked up her coffee and looked over at the covered cake plate on the kitchen island. "What have you made over there?"

"White cake. I stirred violet petals into the batter. It's for a dinner party I am catering tonight." Jaejoong picked up a tupperware container beside it. "This white cake I made for you, nothing weird in it I promise." He set it on the table next to Juri.

"You are the sweetest guy. When are you going to get married? When I am gone, who will take care of you?"

"You're not going anywhere and this house is perfect for a bachelor to live in. I'll grow old in here, while neighbourhood children try to get to the apple tree and I'll chase them away."

Juri shook her head, " Your problem is you love your routine too much, you have got it from you grandparents, you're attached to this place too much, just like them."

Jaejoong smiled because he liked being compared to his ancesters. He'd have no idea of the security of having a name until his mother brought him here to this house where his grandmother lived. He felt a part of Kim legacy when people living around once watched him building tiny log cabins with twigs quietly sitting on the porch and said "He's a Kim alright, in his own world". It was from then that Jaejoong followed his grandmother out into the garden every morning, studying her, wanting to be like her, a Kim.

 

===================================================================================================

A/N : A sweet and small start with the past life of Jaejoong and Ryeowook from Jae's PoV mostly all the Chapters might be from his and Ryeowook's Pov only but I would consider making Kyuhyun and Changmin's Pov too.

I hope you like it and enjoy it !!! I might upload as I get time so don't expect me to upload it regularly *sorry* Next is, comment please they keep me inspired and I appreciate people's thoughts just don't be rude or bash me *that's a humble warning* Other than that you guys can Enjoy.

Take care!!!!

Thank you for dropping by!!!!