Challenge

Fires on the Dance Floor

JinMi’s POV

 

            “JinMi-ssi, are you done with the fish?” Victoria’s head popped out from the main kitchen and made just jump with a start.

            “ah yes, wait a bit, I’ll take it in.” I replied a bit frantically. I bit my lip as I hurriedly washed the remaining fish and put it in the tray before turning to look at Eunhyuk oppa.

He smiled good-naturedly and motioned for me to go on in.

            “you go on ahead. What I’m going to say can wait.” He said.

I stared at him.

            “oh ok. See at dinner then.” I smiled and entered the kitchen.

I walked in to a kitchen full of smoke, noises and hissing noises. Sounds like everybody is busy with the cooking, Amber and JaeSung’s cut vegetables weren’t really as even as we hoped it would look like but at least it looks decent enough. Yuri and Hyoyeon were helping Kia unnie with the noodles for the japchae and Victoria was prepping the stew for the fish. Hankyung oppa was preparing the rice bowls on the table and putting the side dishes with the help of Amber and Jaesung.

            “ Victoria, here’s the fish.” I set it down beside her. She wiped her brow and let out a sigh.

            “finally, I thought this soup might dry up before those could get here.” She joked and we both laughed.

We slowly put the fish to the stew one by one and put the lid over to let it simmer and cook.

            “Yuri, can you call the boys for dinner please?” Kia unnie said a few minutes later.

            “unnie, if I know them they’d already be on their way here. The smell of the food is great you know.” She giggled.

Sure enough scuffling noises were heard outside and a few seconds later the boys trudged in.

            “smells good! what’s for dinner?” Changmin asked sniffing around the kitchen.

            “you! Out!” Hankyung oppa shouted shooing Changmin away and hitting his hand before he can grab some japchae.

I was putting the fish stew into huge bowls with Victoria then handing it out to Hankyung oppa after he got Changmin out of the kitchen and placed it on the girls’ table.

            “hey, men’s first!” Changmin groaned.

            “you’re not a man but a child, oppa.” Yuri said from under her breath. Victoria and I held our laughter as we were holding really hot stew.

The dining area was full of chatter and laughter throughout dinner. We, girls, talked about celebrities we each had a crush on or admired. The other girls keep hinting mine was Eunhyuk oppa and teased me about it, but I told them he’s just someone I look up to as a dancer and as a person. Although they don’t believe me at least the topic was changed and we didn’t touch the topic after that.

Greg oppa stood up after dinner and gestured everyone to gather in a circle for an announcement.

            “alright guys and girls!” he smirked we looked at each other. We didn’t like the look on his face. “I won’t beat about the bush so I’m telling you MBC just announced that they will be having an idol dance contest this year.”

            “errr… didn’t they already do that a year ago?” Yunho oppa asked.

            “ah, that’s the thing. It won’t be like last year.” His grin widened and reached a hand to Kia unnie who, like him, was also grinning. He pulled her and she spun and landed effortlessly into his arms.

            “ this year it will be a couple dance battle.”

            “EH?!” was everybody’s equal reaction.

            “don’t get too excited now. Two pairs from SM will be sent to participate but those pairs aren’t decided yet and the contest will be in 2 months.” Greg oppa said. I shifted in my seat.

Our debut will be a month a half so there’s a good chance I won’t be joining. I breathed a sigh of relief.

            “but we have some potential dancers for the contest. We think Eunhyuk or Hankyung should join as it’d be a good opportunity to promote Super Junior’s comeback. Yunho, as you are one of the company’s best dancer. For the girls, Yuri and Hyoyeon are greatly considered, also JinMi…” my head snapped up at the mention of my name. “we thought it might be good for your first show in Korea after you Japan debut so we’ve also considered you.”

I mentally groaned. Keeping my fingers crossed at this tentative list hoping I won’t get picked.

 

Eunhyuk’s POV

 

            “for this year’s MT we will focus more on teamwork. We all know you need this crucial characteristic in a team. But not only in teams, we need it to be able to work together with others if a collaboration suddenly happens. We will pair you all up and tomorrow evening you must present us with a couple dance, we will give you all morning to practice.” Greg hyung announced and sat down, Kia noona stood up this time.

I couldn’t help but get nervous; this idea of couple dance and competition might not do well for me, especially if JinMi is participating. And I am not even talking about all the teasing I’d get if we get paired.

            “alright, pairs are as follows, Hankyung and Victoria, Henry and Amber, Taemin and Jaesung, Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon, Yunho and Yuri, and Junsu and JinMi.” Kia noona read off the list in her hand.

A part of me sighed in relief that is before I caught Junsu’s eye and he grinned at me. No idea what he is planning but whatever it is surely isn’t to my advantage.

            “since there are more boys than girls, there will be a boy/ boy pair. Key and Changmin and Shindong and Donghae.” Greg hyung added pointing at the remaining unpaired boys. “are there anymore questions?”

Hyoyeon raised her hand.

            “what kind of dance are we supposed to do?”

            “ah, it will be entirely up to you. You can meet with your partners later and talk about what you want to do. Tomorrow you can use the main hall to practice.” Hyung said before he stood and bid us all goodnight. “ah, and may I remind you that there will be some challenge. Take this activity as a test.” He winked and left.

I wonder what he’s up to now.

-----

chapter is unedited..and a little heads up, this story will be over soon..i know it's going downhill so might as well end it sooner right..:) to my subscribers thank you so much for sticking with this for this long..:) hop you support my other story SJ:2..i am also writing a new story but i wont be posting it yet..will post it after i've written enough chapters to post on a weekly basis..:)