Prompt Word: Safe

Of Prompt Words and Sleep Deprivation

Sometimes, Henry would hear them again.

 

Their angry voices coupled with their hateful words haunted him in his sleep. Their angry chants telling him to get off the stage, telling him that he doesn’t belong there echoed in his head, resounding in his ears and would cause him sleepless nights. He should have known that even after seven years, he still wouldn’t be fully accepted.

 

The voices in his head intensified during his solo promotions. He would see a small group of people carrying banners with hateful words and he tried to ignore the tears that were starting to form at the corner of his eyes. He decided to it in since he’s alone and he didn’t really know what to do without his hyungs there to hold his hand and comfort him.

 

He was trying to ignore the angry voices in his head when their van stopped, signalling their arrival in SBS studio for his Music Core performance.

 

“Henli-ah, are you okay?” his manager asked worriedly and Henry only realized that he was already close to tears. He managed to force a smile and nodded.

 

Taemin had greeted him with a smile and a hug when he entered his dressing room and didn’t notice Amber until she was in front of him, staring at him with worried eyes, noticing that something was wrong. Henry smiled a little. Amber noticed. She always notices.

 

Amber stayed by his side the whole time, even when the staff was getting him ready, not even caring if she gets in the way because all she knows is that something was wrong with her best friend and he needed her.

 

Henry was glad that Amber stayed because knowing that she’s there gives him comfort. He made a mental note to buy her her precious milk tea after the show just so he can see her smile stupidly at him and ease his worries.

 

He started hearing the voices again once the staff was gone and silence enveloped the room. He leaned back on his chair and closed his eyes, trying to stop them. But suddenly, he felt Amber’s hand on top of his and he opened his eyes to look at her. Amber smiled and gave his hand a light squeeze.

 

Henry broke out into a small smile when the voices in his head slowly fade away and he knew that he was safe because he has Amber.