Prompt Word: Applause

Of Prompt Words and Sleep Deprivation

Henry walked off the stage grinning as the cheers and applause for him continued. He felt a weird feeling in the pit of his stomach and suddenly had the urge to cry. It’s amazing how far he’d come. It almost felt so surreal. He could still remember those times when the screaming fans weren’t cheering for him, telling him to get off the stage, instead. He remembered all the banners and protests against him and Zhou Mi; remembered all the harsh words that were thrown at them; remembered the feeling of being unwanted.

 

“Henry!”

 

Henry looked up and saw Amber approaching him with that stupid adorable smile of hers. He suddenly remembered late night conversations with her; remembered the way that she held him while he cried and held on to her for dear life; remembered her staying up all night just to make sure that he won’t cry again; remembered her telling him not to quit and that she’ll always be there for him.

 

Henry felt his heart well up with emotions as she smiled proudly at him. He grabbed her arm and pulled her close to him, wrapping his arms around her shoulders tightly and burying his face into her hair. Amber, seeming to understand his actions, hugged him back, wrapping her arms around his waist.

 

“I’m proud of you, Henry.” She whispered.

 

Henry let out a breathy chuckle and held her closer. “Thank you.”