Chapter 10 : SunDATE I

BEFORE DESTINY

 

“Raemi, Myungsoo, follow me.” the teacher called. “Ne!” we said together. I wonder why she wanted to talk to us. “Raemi a, let's go.” I told her. She rose from her seat and something to Eunhae before following me. Her hair was in a braid today, showing of her pretty neck. “You put your hair in a braid to today.” I said as we were walking together. “Ah, ne.” She said touching her hair. “Eunhae made me do this. She said I would look prettier with it.” she continued. “You're pretty even without it..” I smiled at her. “Aniya..” and playfully punched me but I saw that she blushed with my comment. That braid really did make her prettier. She could pass for a greek goddes if you put those branch thingy they put on their head. “Aniya? Ya, Han Raemi, those guys wouldn't look at you if you werent pretty.” I said pointing to those students looking at her. “Aigoo.. oppa, they're just looking at you. They can't get enough of your face.” she said jokingly. “Mwo? Yah. Those are guys. Are you saying they're gay?” I widened my eyes at her. “Oppa..” she said and slightly bumped me.

 

We reached the teacher's office and we stood in front of her. “Are both of you free this Sunday?” she asked us. We both nodded. “Good. Our class is assigned to go to the old people's home this Sunday. And I chose you two to become our representative since no one from the class wants to go. Are you okay with it?” once again, we nodded. “Perfect. Go there by 9:00 am and do what you can to cheer the grandmothers and grandfathers there. Myungsoo, charm the grandmothers with your face and Raemi, sing to them, okay? Don't hide your talent.”

 

“You can sing?” I asked her when we left. “A little. I'm not that good with it though..” she said shyly. I grabbed her arm and told her “Eish.. sing to me.” “Oh, wae?” “Let's see if you're any good.” “Andwae.” “Come on, sing to me. Please?” I pouted at her. “Oppa, you're aegyo won't work on me.” But deep inside Raemi though that he was really cute. The real reason she didn't want to sing was that she was embarrased to sing to him because he's a good singer. I shrugged. “Eish. Fine. It's not like I won't be able to hear you sing on Sunday. What time should I pick you up?” “You'll pass by my house?” “Mmm. Shouldn't we be coming together?” “If you says so...” she smiled. “So, what time? 8?” “Yea. Sure.” “Be sure not to be late, okay? I don't like girls who takes time in fixing themselves.” “Yah, I'm not like that.” she said and lightly taped me. “See you by eight then, I'll be with my bike.” I winked at her.

 

“Raemi a, let's go shopping on Sunday, hmm? I need to buy some clothes for my date.” Eunhae said as we got our trays. “Yea. Sure.” I said half-heartedly. The last Eunhae and I went shopping we spent the whole afternoon trying clothes but she didn't buy a single one of them. There was always something more beautiful than that. At the end of the day, we finally bought a flowy dress that showed her feminine side. This Sunday would be a long day. First I need to go with Myungsoo to the old people's home then...wait. Myungsoo.. Sunday. “Eunhae, I can't go with you.” “O, wae?” she asked, disappointed. “Myungsoo and I are going somewhere.” I said appologetically. “You guys are going on a date?” her eyes twinkled. “Aniya.. the teacher told us to go to the old people's home that day.” “Aigoo.. That would pass as a date. SO.. what are you wearing?” “Ya. I told you it's not a date. And a tshirt and jeans would do.” I shrugged. I wasn't a fashionable person like her. She looks good in anything, she'll even make a garbage bag look amazing. “YA!” she screamed causing the whole cafeteria to look at us. “How can you just wear those? It's your chance to impress Myungsoo, don't let it go.” “But..” “Yah. Have you seen Mi Sol where just that when she goes out? Do you want to lose to her?” “Where not in a competition Eunhae?” I placed a hand on her shoulder. “Puhlease.. not in a competion? It's obvious that she like Myungsoo and you do too. But don't worry, since I'm your friend, I won't let you lose to that girl. You're gonna look amazing this Sunday. Trust me.” she said placing a hand on her chest. We walked toward the benches. “I can already visualize you! Yup.. no. Yes! A chiffon top plus.. umm.. shorts? no. a skirt! Yea! A skirt.. that would show of your pretty legs. And what? Heels? no. Sneakers? YES. PERFECT!” I can hear her mumble to herself. I sighed loudly. “Quit the sighing Raemi. Just trust me okay?” and winked at me.

 

It was Sunday and I was standing in front of my mirror but I didn't recognize the girl that I saw. She was pretty. The girl's hair was in a messy bun. She was wearing a short – sleeved white chiffon top that showed her softness, a floral skirt that went with the season and some sneakers that made her look ready for anything. I couldn't help but smile. The girl I saw was a million times better than the girl I saw last year. This girl was more confident. Any guy would turn their heads to look at her unlike last year's reflection where no one would give a damn about her.

 

“You don't need to thank me. I know I did a great job.” Eunhae smiled proudly. She slept over last night just so she could help me prepare for today. “But I really need to thank you. I've never seen myself like this.” and I twirled. She winked at me. “Now.. for some make-up.” “No.” “Wae?! Just some rouge and lipstick. Come on.” “Andwae.” I said firmly. We went on like that for a while but eventually I gave in. “There. Just some perfume over here and... PERFECT.” she said as she sprayed some on me. “Isn't this a bit too much? What if Myungsoo thinks that it's too much? He's never seen me like this.” “Don't be such a paranoid Raemi. He's never seen you like this? All the more reason, you should be this way.”

 

“Raemi a! Myungsoo's here!” I heard Minhyuk oppa. “Coming!” I answered. I looked at Eunhae and said, “FIGHTING!” “FIGHTING!” she answered back. “Enjoy!” I heard her scream as I make my way to the gate. I put my hand in the handle and.. here goes nothing. I opened the door.

 

Tsk. Where is that girl? I told her I don't like girls that are late. “Raemi a! Myungsoo's here!” I heard her oppa call out. “Coming.” I heard her scream. Finally. I heard her footsteps as she reached their gate. Then the door flew open. I caught my breath. “Sorry oppa. I took long.” Raemi said or is this even Raemi? The girl in front of me was gorgeous... no, she was beautiful. Her hair was in a messy bun but she still looked neat. Her white top showed how fair her skin was.. ohmygosh. She just smiled at me. Why is my heart beating fast? “Oppa? Are you mad at me?” she said. “Huh? Aniya.. are you ready?” “Ne.” she said tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. God. She's pretty. “Get on.” I said tapping on my bike. “Are you okay with your skirt?” “Ne, oppa.” “Hold on tight then.” She wrapped her arms around me. As soon as I felt her touch, my heart started beating fast again. Kim Myungsoo, why are you so nervous? You never get nervous around girls. You make girls nervous, not the other way around. “Goodluck on your date” I heard Sungjae's voice. Is this a date? Am I having a date with Raemi? Aniya aniya... we're going because our teacher said so. Then why am I so nervous? Eotteokhae? Myungsoo a, focus on the road. “Waaa!! it's so cool!” I heard Raemi squeal behind me. I caught our reflection by the store window.. we look good together. God. She's really pretty. Anyone looking at us will think we're on a date.

 

“Oppa, isn't that the place?” she pointed. “OH! That's right!” gosh, kim myungsoo! You almost missed the place. Snap out of it!

 

Once we got inside, Raemi knew what to do. She entertained the grandmothers and grandfathers. I felt so useless watching her. I didn't know what to do. “Aigoo a.. you're really pretty.” one grandmother said. “Omo, grandmother, you're prettier than me.” she said and smiled. After that everyone demanded that she was really pretty. She put her hands on her cheek and blushed. Cute. “Grandmother.. you're all prettier than me. Are you really a grandmother? Aigoo.. you've got such pretty skin.” she really knows how to treat them well.

 

“Young man..” I heard someone beside me. “O, grandmother? Is there something wrong?” I said. “Aigoo ya.. eobseo. Why don't you join us there?” she said pulling me. “Grandmother, i'm okay. I'll just stay here.” “Andwae, you should follow your elders. Come one.” “Oh, oppa!” Raemi beemed. “Oppa? Is he your boyfriend?” one grandmother asked. “Aniya.. grandmother.” she said. “These kids..” the grandmother smiled. “Andwae, andwae.. she's going to be my granddaughter-in-law.” one grandfather said. “Oh, grandfather, how old is your grandson?” she asked, leaning in. “Let's see... 3?” “Eotteokhae? Grandfather, he's too young for me.” she said and smiled at him. At this point, I sat beside her. “Aigoo ya.. this young man's handsome.” one grandmother said. “Look at his hands.. how smooth.” another said. I looked at Raemi. She seemed to understand me but she just laughed. “YA!” I mouthed. She just stuck a tongu at me and smiled. Then I remembered. “Grandmother, grandfather, do you want to hear Raemi sing?” she looked at me with wide eyes but it was too late. “Can you sing for us dear?” “Yes, she can!” I answered. “Oppa!” she mouthed at me. But soon the cheers started and she eventually gave in.

 

She walked towards the piano. Can she play? She sat gracefully, felt the keys and looked at us. “Is it okay if I sing an english song?” “NE!!” “I'll sing Mandy Moore's Only Hope.” Can she speak english? She once again felt the keys, took a deep breath and started to play..

 

there's a song that's inside of my soul

it's the one that i've tried to write over and over again

i'm awake in the infinte cold

but you sing to me over and over again

 

so I lay my head back down

and I lift my hands and pray to be only yours

I pray to be only yours

I know now you're my only hope

 

Everybody was engrossed in her song.She continued singing but all I think about was how perfect she looked while singing. She was like an angel sent from heaven. During the chorus, she would steal glances at us. Once she looked me while singing “i pray to be only yours, I pray”, and you know what I thought? I could be hers if she wanted to. How come I only took notice of her now? We've been classmates for who knows how long? I smiled. Han Raemi, what have you done with me? I put my hands over my heart. At the same moment, she got up from her seat and received cheers from her spectators. She looked at me and smiled. I smiled back at her. I can't believe it. I think i'm falling in love with Han Raemi.