Chapter 9 : Confessions

BEFORE DESTINY

 

I stared at my ceiling unable to sleep; it was already midnight. Whenever I tried to close my eyes, Myungsoo's face keeps popping in my head. Raemi a, why can't you sleep? I told myself. “Because you're thinking about me.” I heard myungsoo voice. I shot up and looked around. “Aniya, aniya. Raemi a, you're hallucinating. You really need to sleep.” I told myself aloud. I lied down again. Think of happy thoughts.. happy thoughts. Then Myungsoo's face appeared. “I'll walk you home.” I heard him say. I smiled. Myungsoo just walked me home. Then I remembered his arms around my waist. It was tight and firm, he really didn't want me to fall.. his warm, smooth hands on my arms as he assisted me when I hurt my ankle.. his dimples that showed whenever he smiled.. those eyes that could melt you when they look at you. I placed my hands on my chest. Eottkeokhae? Why is my heart's beating fast? I turned and twisted on my bed. When I couldn't take it anymore, I grabbed my phone. I pressed the number of my only friend.

 

“Eunhae, eotteokhae?” I said as soon as she answered. “O.. Raemi a, what's wrong?” she said, half-asleep. “Myungsoo a...” I started. “Wae? Did he do something to you?” “Aniya, aniya.. umm. Eunhae, how do I remove this pimples?” “YA! DID YOU WAKE ME UP JUST TO ASK ME THAT??!!” she shouted. “Ppali. Just answer the question and go back to sleep.” “Fine. I don't know.. apply some toothpaste or something. Well that's what I do.” she said while I took down notes. “Wait a minute.. ya! Do you like someone?” she suddenly blurted. “Mwo?! Aniya!!” “So you do like someone..” I could hear her smile. “I said no..” “Is it Myungsoo?” she said interrupting me. “Ya, Han Raemi, why didn't you tell me? What are friends for?” she continued. “It's just that.. I don't know what I feel. I don't know if I like him. I can't sleep because I keep on thinking about him. I keep on remembering his smiles, those cute little dimples, his eyes, the way his hands comb his hair..” “Ya... you like him!! YAAA!!!” she said excitedly. “Do I really like him?”

 

“Myungsoo ya.. you're friend Sungjae's here.” my mother called out. “Really?” why is he here, I thought. “Myungsoo a!! Let's go to school together!” Sungjae said as soon as I went out of our house. “Ya. What are you doing here? Not even telling me, then you show up.” I said while wearing my shoes. “Eomma, we're going!!” I screamed. “I actually wanted to talk to you about something.” he said. “I knew you needed something.” I told him. “I was actually going to talk to you about Raemi but looks like you don't want to...” he said suddenly walking ahead of me. “Ya, ya!” I grabbed his bag, “what about Raemi?” “That caught your attention, huh?” he smirked and arranged his clothes. “Ppali..”

 

“Do you like her?” he suddenly blurted out. Do I like Raemi? She's.. she's one of a kind. “You're thinking of her, huh? And you're smilling... so you do like her.” he told himself. “Ya. I didn't say anything.” I said defensively. “You don't need to say anything, Kim Myungsoo. It's written on your face.” he said seriously. “No, it's not.” “Yes. It is. The way you look at her like she's the most important thing in the world.. the way you smile around her.. you treat her differently compared to other girls.” “I treat Eunhae differently too.” I answered back. Over time, the four of us had become inseparable. “Yah. That's different. You treat my girlfriend as a friend.. I can see that you treat Raemi more than that. There's always that extra care you give her. Why don't you just say so yourself? You like her don't you?” I thought about it. Whenever I see Raemi, I have this urge to protect her. I didn't want anyone teasing her or anything. The teasing had actually died down already so that's good. Whenever I walk her home or whenever she rides my bike going home, her arms around my waist.. when we'r in front of her house, I don't want her to come in and leave me. I want her to stay with me even if it was only a second longer... “Yea.. I like her.” I said and smiled to myself.

 

“Good for you.” he said, tapping my shoulders. “She's gotten prettier, you know. I never noticed it but she actually has pretty eyes and double eyelids..” I elbowed him. “Ya, have you been staring at her?!” I said. “YA! So you're defensive about her now, huh?” I made a face at him. “I don't stare at her. I see her everyday. Also, have you noticed? Her skin's getting clearer. I heard some guys talking about her. I think they're starting to notice her. She's prettier than Mi Sol.” he said winking at me. Wait. There are guys talking about her? I must have been doing something with my face 'cause Sungjae said, “Are you getting jealous now?” and he laughed. I pushed him. “YA! KIM MYUNGSOO!! YOU ARE JEALOUS.” and he guffawed. Eventually, he calmed down. When he did, he said, “Don't worry about it. Raemi doesn't even look at those guys. She has eyes only for you...” “You think so?” I said. “I know so.. she's got that look too when she's with you.” I smiled to myself. “Quit the smiling! You look like a fool!” and he laughed, AGAIN. After it died down, he put an arm around me and said, “Let's go and win Raemi's heart, huh?” and playfully winked at me. But all I can think about is Raemi.