xxxviii. Beautiful Stranger

BaekYeol Drabble Collection (On Hiatus)

Chanyeol is fifteen. He did pretty poorly on a test recently, and knows that he can't face his family because of it. So currently, he's sitting on a bench in a park, away from everything, silently crying.

"Hey, are you okay?" A hand is placed upon his shoulder and he swats at it, hoping the person would just leave him alone. "I'm just trying to help…" He sounds rather defensive now, but he does withdraw his hand.

"Go away," Chanyeol mutters from behind his hands. "I don't need your help."

He doesn't mean that though, because he currently needs all the help he can get. After a moment of silence, Chanyeol finally peaks out from behind his hands and sees someone sitting next to him.

"Oh, you finally looked at me!" And Chanyeol gulps a little audibly, because he feels like he's looking at an angel. "Please let me try to help! You're crying… and I don't like it when people cry…"

"I…" Chanyeol stutters. "I…I hate school…"

"Ooh, school problems…" The beautiful stranger says thoughtfully, almost to himself, as a long finger taps his chin. "Are you… getting bullied?"

"No…" And Chanyeol is still staring. "Nothing like that…"

"Um… why are you looking at me like that?" He raises his hands and rubs at his face. "Is there something on my face?"

"No, sorry," Chanyeol shakes his head and looks away. "Please continue…"

"Um… you like a girl and she turned you down?"

"No…"

"Can you just tell me?" The stranger asks, something between a frown and a pout on his face.

"I… did pretty poorly on a test…" Chanyeol admits, not daring to look at the other anymore. "I'm afraid to tell my parents."

"Oh," He says. "I'm sorry… but I think that it's nothing to be afraid of. Just tell them, they'll understand, and you just need to work harder!"

Chanyeol opens his mouth to say something like easier said than done, but doesn't get to as someone suddenly yells something in his direction.

"I'll be right there!" The other yells back before turning back to Chanyeol. "I'm sorry, I have to go…"

"Well thanks for trying to help," Chanyeol says with a shrug as he turns and looks at the other. "I don't think I can just do that though."

"Sure you can!" He exclaims, gently patting Chanyeol's shoulder rather affectionately. "I believe in you!"

And then he's running off, waving at the person that yelled earlier. Chanyeol is in shock. A complete stranger just told him that he believed in him; he couldn't remember the last time someone had said those words to him. A small smile creeps on to his face and slowly grows wider as Chanyeol is filled with a confidence that he hasn't felt in weeks, maybe even months. He straightens his back and then begins making his way home.

There is nothing to be afraid of, Chanyeol tells himself. My parents will understand.

He tells them, with slightly shaky hands as he hands the test to them, and they understand, tell him that it's okay. Chanyeol is so relieved that he almost collapses on to the floor.

 

Chanyeol sees the beautiful stranger again, although he doesn't recognise him at first. The stranger is sitting on the same bench and he's crying, but Chanyeol doesn't know how to console him, and he doesn't want to seem creepy, so he runs away. He would later try to tell himself that it might not even be the same person.

Chanyeol found himself constantly thinking about that beautiful stranger. Despite the fact that they have had all of one conversation, he just can't forget him; he just left an impression on him that he would not be forgetting anytime soon. He is afraid to admit it, but he feels something deeper for that stranger, like they have this deeply rooted connection that only he feels.

He wants to see him again, he thinks about him all day and every day; that beautiful smile, his rather plain but adorable features, the slight rasp to his voice and the encouraging words that still echoes inside his head to this day. Despite it all, even if it seems a little weird, Chanyeol knows that he will never be the same person, because of that one fateful meeting.

 

The third time, happens almost three years later, and it is completely unexpected. As an SM trainee, he'd learned that someone new would be entering the company that day, and he is always excited to meet new people. He stands in front of the door that day, as always, and his breathing almost stops when the other male, the one that he has been thinking about for years, steps through those doors.

"Hi!" Chanyeol practically shouts at the other. "My name is Park Chanyeol, what's your name?"

"Hello…" He mumbles, looking a little uncomfortable; it's clear that he doesn't remember Chanyeol. "My name is Byun Baekhyun… It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Same!" Chanyeol doesn't let this fact deter him though, because now that he's finally in his life again, he's determined to keep him there. "Let's be friends!"

"Um, sure?" Baekhyun looks like he's on the verge of tears, and Chanyeol feels a little bad, but he's so just so happy to see him again.

"Great!" He exclaims, wrapping a hand around Baekhyun's wrist.  "Let me introduce you…"

Chanyeol then starts introducing him to all the other trainees in turn, and smiles a little wider as he watches Baekhyun greet them, his heart beating a little faster.

 

"Baekhyun-ah," Chanyeol whispers, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun's waist as they lay in his bed together. "Do you remember the first time we met?"

"You mean when I first entered SM?" The smaller male asks, his eyes closed. "Of course, and haven't we already talked about this?"

"No, before that…" Baekhyun shifts in Chanyeol's arms, turning around to face him.

"We've met before?" The smaller male says, after a particularly wide yawn. "Where?"

"It was a park… about three years before you entered SM…"

"…Oh my god," Baekhyun's eyes widen, surprised. "That was you? That kid who was complaining about his bad grades?"

"Yeah," Chanyeol replies with a laugh. "That was me…"

"…I can't believe that you remembered me," Baekhyun snuggles against Chanyeol a little more. "And I guess that means I look the same as back then…"

"You were beautiful to me back then," Chanyeol whispers, kissing the top of Baekhyun's head. "And you're still beautiful to me now… you were my beautiful stranger, and no matter what, I couldn't forget you…"

"I thought you were beautiful too," Baekhyun smiles to himself. "And for a period of time, I actually went back to that park every so often in hopes of seeing you again… I gave up after about a year. When I saw you after entering SM, I thought that was you, but I couldn't be sure, so I never asked… Thank you, Chanyeol-ah, for remembering me…"

"And thank you, Baekhyun-ah," Chanyeol smiles too as he kisses him on the forehead. "Thank you for being my beautiful stranger and for helping me get through these last few years."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this is long overdue OTL Please don't kill me. I uh... got distracted by real life. This was inspired by the song Beautiful Stranger by Nell, if you haven't heard it, you need to.

Thank you so much to everyone that has ever read, commented on, subscribed to, or upvoted these drabbles, it means the world to me. <3

So until next week, hopefully. OTL I'll be uploading chapter 3 of my Unconditional Soul Mates tomorrow. =3