CHAPTER EIGHT

Marriage Trap (HIATUS)

SIWON’S POV

 

                I was having a hard time concentrating. I’d already blown three phone calls. I’d sent an email to the wrong recipient and replied to another, thinking it was someone else. My focus was completely and utterly shot and I couldn’t even pinpoint exactly what had me so out of sorts.

                I was concerned for Yoona, definitely. I hadn’t wanted to leave her that morning, but she’d insisted she was fine and that I should go to work. Still, I had a nagging sensation tugging at my chest that wouldn’t go away.

                “Mr. Choi, your wife is here to see you.”

                Adrenaline surged in my veins.

                I was striding across the room fully intending to meet her, when the door opened and she hesitantly walked in. I stopped abruptly, taken aback by the starkness of her features. She was pale, her face was drawn and her eyes were heavy and dull.

                An uneasy feeling crept up my spine as she stared back at me.

                “Are you busy?” she asked in a soft voice. “Have I come at a bad time?”

                “Of course not. Come, have a seat. Would you like something to drink?”

                I was suddenly nervous and I hated that feeling.

                “I needed to talk to you, Siwon.

                It was only natural that any man hearing those words from his wife would dread what followed. But coming from Yoona, they seemed so…final.

                “All right,” I said quietly. I took a seat across from her and studied the tiredness from her eyes.

                “I’m pregnant,” she said baldly. There was no emotion. No accompanying excitement. No flash of joy. Frankly, I was bewildered by her reaction.

                “That’s wonderful,” I said huskily.

                But her expression said it was anything but wonderful. She looked as though she was battling tears.

                “I can’t do this anymore,” she said in a choked voice.

                Alarm blistered up my spine and rammed into the base of my skull. “What do you mean?”

                She rose and it was all I could do to not tie her to the damn sofa because I had a sudden sense that she was slipping away from me in more ways than one.

                “This marriage. You asked how long it would take to determine whether it would work. The truth is, it was never going to work. It’s taken me this long to realize it, but I deserve more. We both do. You deserve to find a woman you can love and that you won’t be manipulated into marrying. I deserve a man who adores me and wants to be married to me. Someone who won’t try to change me. Someone who accepts me, faults and all. Someone who loves flighty, impulsive Yoona and isn’t embarrassed by her.”

Tears clouded her eyes and her voice grew thick with emotion. “I thought I could make you love me, Siwon. It was a mistake from the beginning to even try. “

I was in a trance that I didn’t notice she left.

I was stunned by her declaration. She was right. Realization was clear to me. I’d destroyed something precious and I’d never forgive myself for it. I don’t deserve forgiveness. What I have done to her? She’d come to my office and delivered the news of her pregnancy in a dispassionate fashion. Me and my high-handed, arrogant opinions of how she should act or not act had taken something beautiful and precious and had spit on it.

 I had tried to change her. And she was bloody perfect just as she was.

How could I possibly expect Yoona to forgive me?

She was pregnant with my child and she was leaving me.

I didn’t deserve her. I should let her go and find someone who adored her beyond reason and would never ever treat her as I had.