CHAPTER FIVE

Marriage Trap (HIATUS)

He experienced a faint sensation. His stomach tightened with dread and the beginnings of panic gripped his throat.

Then he heard a distant sound that seemed to come from the kitchen. He strode in that direction and realized that a television had been left on. But when he reached the doorway, he had to grip the frame to steady himself.

Relief blew through him with staggering ferocity.

She was still here.

She hadn't left.

She was sitting at the bar, her brow furrowed in concentration as she watched a cooking show. She had a pen in front of her and was furiously taking a note.

She was dress in faded jeans and an old t~shirt. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and she wasn't wearing any make up. She is absolutely beautiful. But she also looked very tired.

The dark circles under her eyes were more pronounced and she had a delicatefragilenessto her that make him instinctively protective of her. But he couldn't protect her from himselfand it was he who hurt her.

Drawn to the vulnerable image she presented, he slid his hands up her arms and then lowered his wouth to kisskiss her neck.

She froze immediately then turned around. "Hi," she offered. hesitantly. "I didn't expect you to be back quite so soon."

"Technically I'm off this week," he said as he pulled away. "I had a lunch with your father. We discussed business and now we are done"

She made a face but did not comment, which he was grateful for. Anytime her dad and business were mentioned, it was going to be difficult.

"What happened to all your stuff?" He asked casually as he went around to open the fridge. He pulled out a bottle of water and pushed the door closed.

"Oh, I just organized everything," she said. "I didn't really have time before the wedding. Was too busy and stuff. "

"Mmm~hmm," he murmured. ''And the cleaning? Should you be doing all this today? You just came off a pretty headache. I don't think all the cleaning stuff would be good for you to be inhaling.''

''It was okay. Headache is gone. Just a little residual achiness.''

He frowned. ''Why don't you go lie on the couch. I'll figure out dinner and we'll watch some TV or just relax in the living room if you don't want the noise.''

 

***

 

''This is hopeless,'' Yoona said as her shoulders sagged.

Yuri wrapped her arm around Yoona and squizzed tight. ''You're not hopeless. You'll get it down. You're being way too hard on yourself. Are you alright? You seem really down lately and not just about this cooking stuff. Is everything okay with you?''

Yoona smiled brightly and straightened her stance. ''Oh, yeah fine. Marriage is exhausting work. Who knew? Just trying to get my routine down.''

Yuri laughed. ''You're so silly. I don't even know why you are bothering learning to cook. Siwon doesn't care if you can cook. The man's obviously crazy about you and you couldn't cook before you got married. I'm sure he's not expecting some miracle to occur.''

Yoona bit her lip to keep from crying. The truth was, she was exhausted. The old Yoona would have laughed, thrown her hands up and admitted she was hopeless. The new her was going to it up, be calm and get the job doone.

''Are pregnant or something? I swear you're not usually emotional.''

"Oh, God, I don't think so. I mean it is possible but I haven't even kept up with my periods."

''Well take one of those home pregnancy tests. You are a mess. Hormones have to be the reason why.''

She closed her eyes. No, she couldn't be pregnant yet. Well she certainly could,but she suddenly didn't want to be.

Yoona threw her arms around Yuri and hugged her tight. ''Thanks Yul. I love you. You're the best.''

Yuri grinned. "I love you too,you nut. Now go home and make your lasagna before your husband gets there. Call me tomorrow and let me know how it went. And take that damn pregnancy test. I'll want to know if I'm going to be an aunt."