CHAPTER THREE

Marriage Trap (HIATUS)

SIWON’S POV

 

                “I care for you a great deal,” I said. Damn fool of an old man. Mr. Im didn’t want his precious daughter hurt and yet he’d set her up for the biggest fall of her life. And now I am going to look like the biggest bastard of all time.

                “Let’s have the truth,” she demanded. “Don’t patronize me while whispering pretty word to pacify me. It’s a very simple question, Siwon. Do you love me?”

                “The truth isn’t always a pretty thing, Yoong. Be careful when you ask for the truth because it can hurt far more than not knowing.”

                For a moment I thought she would let it go, but then she said in a low, dead voice, “The truth, Siwon. I want the truth. I need to hear it.”

                I bit out another curse. “All right, Yoona. No, I don’t love you. I care about you a great deal. I like and respect you. But if you want to know if I love you, then no.”

                She wade a broken sound of pain. She started to step backward, but she swayed. I bolted forward, caught her shoulder and then guided her to bed.

                “What a fool I’ve made of myself,” she whispered. “How stupid and naive I am. How you must have laughed.”

                “Damn it, Yoona, I’ve never laughed at you. Never.”

                “I loved you,” she said. “I thought you married me because you loved me and not my father’s business or whatever.”

                “Listen to me, there’s no reason we can’t have an enjoyable marriage. We’re compatible. We get along well together.”

                She closed her eyes.

                “Yoong, please don’t cry,” I stared at her.

                “Tell me, damn it. I think I deserve to know what my happiness was traded for.”

                “Your father wanted me to marry you as part of the merge of my company and his company,” I bit out. “Happy now? Can you tell me what possible good it does for you to know that?”

                “It doesn’t make me happy but I damn well want to know what I’ve gotten myself into, or rather what my dad got me into.”

                “Right now you’re upset and you’re hurting. But don’t discount the possibility that we could enjoy a comfortable, lasting marriage.” I told her.

                “Oh screw off!” she snapped.

                “I don’t think we should have this conversation any longer,” I said tightly. “Not until you’ve had time to calm down.” I stood abruptly and she looked hastily away but not before I saw tears streaking down her cheeks.

“I’m sorry, Yoong,” I said hoarsely.

                “Please just go away and leave me alone,” she choked out. “I can’t even look at you right now.”

                I hesitated a moment and then sighed in resignation.

 

YOONA’S POV

 

                I felt empty. I felt stupid and so horribly naïve that I cringed. It still baffled me that a life I’d thought was so perfect just hours before was a complete façade. I’d been lied to at every turn. I’d been used and manipulated, not just by Siwon, but by my own father. And all over a business deal.

                I cried all that I needed to cry. I had cried all that I was going to allow myself to cry.  I’d be damned if I shed another tear over my husband.

                I rubbed my temple to make the pain go away. But the pain in my head was nothing compared to the unbearable ache in my heart.

                Should I leave him? Should I ask for a divorce? But the idea of divorcing him held as little appeal as living in the cold sterile state my marriage now existed in. I deeply loved him and love wasn’t something you could switch off at will. I was hurt beyond belief. I was angry and felt horribly betrayed.

                No, I don’t want divorce. But neither would I want to live a life with a man who didn’t love me.

                I thought back to all the things he’d said to me that night before. His criticisms had stung. I’d never imagined that he’d thought of me in such a negative way. But maybe he was right.

                Maybe I was too impulsive, too flighty, and too exuberant. Perhaps I could be more controlled, more guarded, show more of a knack of self-preservation.

                It was evident that he didn’t want the person I was. It was evident he didn’t love flighty, impulsive, and stubborn woman.

                If he didn’t want or love that person, then the only two options left to me were to walk away and get a divorce or to become someone he could love.

                Could I make him fall in love with me? It was time for one hell of a makeover.

                But the idea didn’t excite me. It didn’t infuse enthusiasm into my flagging spirits. It was a bleak thought and I dimly wondered if Siwon was worth such an effort. Would his love be enough, provided I could even make him fall in love with me?

                I stiffened when I heard a sound on the terrace. I knew it was Siwon but I wasn’t ready to face him yet.

                “Have you been out here all night?” he asked quietly.

                I nodded wordlessly and continued to stare at the water. 

                “Yoong, don’t torture yourself over this. There’s no reason we can’t have a perfectly good marriage, no matter what the circumstances of how we came to be married.”

I bit my lip to keep the angry flood from rushing out because at this point it did not do me any good and I didn’t have the emotional energy to spare. “I agree,” I said before he could launch into another list of my shortcomings.

He promptly shut his mouth and stared at me, his brows drawn together in confusion. “You do?”

“You’re absolutely right. I was being silly. I had unrealistic expectations and I shouldn’t allow them to get in the way of marriage.”

He winced but remained quiet.

“I am agreeable to at least a period of time in which we see how things progress.”

He frowned at that but I looked up with dead eyes. “Be glad I’m not on a plane home with an appointment to see a divorce lawyer. How long do you think this test period will last? ”

I shrugged. “How would I know? I can’t exactly put a time frame on when I can give up all hope of having a happy marriage.”

“Yoong.”

“I’m not trying to punish you, Siwon. I’m trying to get through this without losing what little pride I have left.”

He went pale and pain flickered in his eyes. And shame. Though that hadn’t been my intention, either. I wasn’t trying to make digs at him because that wouldn’t make this go away. It won’t give me back my happiness. It would only make me more miserable than I already was.

“You seem to think that we can have an enjoyable marriage. I personally fine no joy in being married to a man who doesn’t love me, but I am willing to try. You’re probably right in that I shouldn’t allow something so silly as love to enter the equation.”

“Damn it, I care a lot for you—“

“Please,” I bit out, halting his words in midsentence. “Just don’t . Don’t try to make it better by offering me platitudes. It was hard to hear your assessment of my faults. But I am willing to work on not being so impulsive and exuberant or whatever else it was that you mentioned. I’ll try to be the best wife I can be and not disappoint you.”

He bit out a sharp curse but I plunged ahead before I lost all my courage and fled. “I just have one thing to ask in return,” I whispered. “I find the situation humiliating. I’ll make every effort to be a wife you’ll be proud of. All I ask is that you please not embarrass me in front of everyone by making our issues known to them. What I’m asking you to do is pretend.”

“God, Yoong. You act as though I despise you. I’d never embarrass you.”

“I just don’t want them to know you don’t love me,” I choked out. “If you could just act like-like a real husband in front of them. You don’t have to go overboard. Just don’t treat me with indifference now that you don’t have to pretend in order to get me to marry you anymore.”

And then another thought occurred to me that very nearly had me leaning over to empty the contents of my stomach.

“Are you alright?” Siwon asked sharply. Then swore. “Of course you aren’t all right. You look as if you’re going to be ill.”

“Is there someone else?” I croaked out. “I mean did you ever plan to be faithful? I won’t stay married to you if you’re going to sleep around or if you have a mistress on tap somewhere.”

This time the curses were more colorful and they don’t stop for several long seconds. He closed the distance between us; knelt down in front of the lounger I was curled up in and grasped my shoulders. “Stop it Yoona. You’re torturing yourself needlessly. There is no other woman. There won’t be another woman. I take my marriage very seriously. I don’t have a mistress. I have no desire to sleep around. I want you.”

My shoulders sagged in relief and I leaned away from him so that his hands slipped away from my arms.