CHAPTER TWELVE

Marriage Trap (HIATUS)

I open my eyes and looked at the surroundings. My mind is still in a haze. Overwhelmed from what I discovered. I saw Jessica and Yuri talking. They don’t notice I’m awake. I wonder why they did not tell me the truth. If I hadn’t met Siwon, I wouldn’t have known the whole truth. But why would he keep it from me? I remember now that I was married to him but why are we separated? There must be something that happened before the accident. My dad died while I was in coma. That’s the sad truth they’ve revealed to me a few days I’ve awaken from coma.

                “Yoona, you’re awake!” Yuri burst in with big smile.

                “Are you okay now? Is there something that hurts?” Jessica worriedly asked.

                “Where is Siwon?” I asked them immediately.

                “You remember now, do you?” Yuri asked.

                “Yeah…” I hesitated. “But it’s still not clear to me though.”

                “That’s good to hear.” Taeyeon said as she entered the room followed by the others. But I can sense that the girls are acting strange. I felt that they have something to tell me but they are hesitating.

                “What have you remembered?” Tiffany asked.

                “I was married to Siwon.” I answered shortly. Their eyes were staring at me. “What? I don’t understand anything. It doesn’t make sense. Our situation right now. Is there something that I needed to know aside from my marriage from Siwon?” I questioned them.

                No one answered.

                “Please tell me now. It’s still unclear to me but I need to know. Why are we separated in the first place?” I said desperately.

                The girls looked at each other.

                “Yoona, you see… “Taeyeon hesitated. “Since you’ve known that you are married to him, it’s only right that you will know this. It’s up to you to remember the rest of your memory. And we are so sorry for not telling you this. We should have not kept it for a long time.”

                “Go on. What is it?” I encouraged.

                “You… you have a daughter. You’re a mom.”

                “What?” suddenly it could not register in my mind.

                “You have a daughter with Siwon.”

                “How? Why didn’t you tell me?” it was all I could say. I was shocked by the revelation.

                If I had a daughter why keep it from me. Them of all people. They are my friends.

                “Yoona we’re very sorry, we could not tell it to you, since Siwon told us not to tell you.”

                “How could you!” I am now screaming at them. “I could have known. You deprived my daughter from having a mother.” My tears won’t stop from flowing. I want to be alone. I need time to think and absorb everything. I can’t describe what I felt. I couldn’t hate them for not telling me. There must be some reasons. But I need time to think. Im still confused.

                “Yoona, where are you going?”

                I ignored their call and run absentmindedly. I never thought that I was at the hospital and I’m still in a hospital gown. I ignored everyone who’s calling me.

 

***

 

                “Unnie, we meet again!”

                I looked at the voice of the one who’s talking. She’s the little girl I met a few days ago. She must be very smart to remember me though we just met for few minutes. I wondered how my daughter would be like. Is she like me or her father?

                “Unnie are you okay?” she frowned.

                “Yes I am okay. I am just thinking.”  I said breaking my thoughts. “I’m happy that you remembered me. Are you alone again?”

                “Nope. I am with some friends.” She said happily. “I am just here to say hello to you. I saw you a while ago, you look so sad. Are you okay, unnie?” she looked at me with her sparkling eyes.

                “Yeah I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. Just go ahead and play, enjoy your time with your friends.” I told her and smiled sweetly.

                “Okay, if that’s what you say. Goodbye, unnie.” she pouted. “I‘ll see you when I see you!” she giggled and wave her little hands.

                I smiled looking at her walking away towards her playmates. I sighed. I was wondering how I will meet my daughter. Will she accept me?

                I’ve made up my mind; I need to see Siwon to confirm everything. I want to see my daughter.

 

***

 

The bell on the elevator chimed and I stepped in to the unfamiliar floor. I approached the reception desk looking around in awe.

“Hello, I’m Im Yoona and I need to talk to Mr. Choi Siwon,” I said to the lady behind the desk.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you, Mrs. Choi. I hope you don’t mind me calling you by that name. Our boss somehow told us about you. My name is Luna and I am his secretary actually. Let me show you to his office. He’s in the conference room right at the moment but the meeting’s probably done.”

“It’s very nice to meet you too, Luna,” I said. She led me around the corner and opened a door.

“I’ll leave you here and wait for my boss,” Luna said, and with my encouraging nod she left.

I walk around the large room and over to the enormous windows to look at the view. It was breathtaking and I was delighted at the sight. For a while I relaxed and somehow forgot the purpose of my visit.

 

***

 

SIWON’S POV:

 

                I walk into the connecting doors then stopped in my tracks. I was glad she hadn’t noticed me. It gave me time to control my features. I can’t help but to regret the things I’ve done to her all this time. How could I do such things to the woman I love. Yes, I love her. And I realized it I was too late. Things happened. Once I had myself control I cleared my throat to alert her of my presence, then waited until she turned.

                Yoona turned at the sound and stared in horror. Her feet were still off the ground and her chair spun around again, before she managed to put her feet down and stop the spinning chair. She stared at me, not knowing what to say.

                “Are you okay?” I asked her to break the silence.

                “Yeah…probably,” she hesitated. “I came here to confirm something,” she said coldly.

                “Go on.” My heart is beating so fast. She probably remembered somehow. I’m afraid the purpose of this is to ask about our daughter. And she will hate me for life.

                “I remember now,” she said straightly. “You were married to me. I don’t know what happen then that you never told me this after I’ve return from my unconsciousness. I want you to tell me everything. I don’t have time beating around the bush and I want you tell me now. And one more thing, the most painful thing that you’ve been hiding from me for years which is unforgivable is keeping our daughter from me,” she said without emotion. “Tell me…”

                “Im so sorry, Yoona. I know I become so selfish. I do it for you to be free.”

                “Why would I want to be free?” she’s now holding her head as if she’s in pain.

I hesitated. “You see, I married you because you were part of the deal with your father.” I said straightly. “You were supposed not to know it but you accidentally discovered it. But we agreed to make our marriage work and then one day you came to my office telling me you were pregnant and you want to be free.”

 “Are you alright?” I asked worriedly.

                “Just go on. I have flashes of memories but I want you to go on.” She said in between breaths.

FLASHBACK:

Yoona tugged the coat tighter around her as she stepped from the cab in front of her father’s house. She had no desire to face him today but she needed to get it over with it.

Siwon had already called her cell a dozen times until finally she’d shut it off so it would stop ringing. She was going to tell her father to stop interfering with her life.

She walked into the house and took off her coat. “Daddy?” she called.

The housemaid hurried out from the kitchen and smiled her welcome. “Hi,Yoona. What brings you over today? I wish you’d called. I would have made sure I had tea ready.”

 

“Where’s Daddy?” Yoona asked quietly. “I need to talk to him.”

“I’ll go get him.” the housemaid hurried away and Yoona made her way into the spacious living room. Instead of sitting, she went to the fireplace, grateful for the warmth. She was cold on the inside and felt as though she’d never be warm again.

A moment later she heard the footsteps of her father and she turned to face him.

“Yoona, baby, what’s wrong?” her father asked sharply.

“I’ve left Siwon and I’m pregnant.”

Mr.Im’s eyes narrowed and he frowned. “What the hell happened?”

“You happened,” she said bitterly. “How could you, Daddy? How could you manipulate us both that way?”

Her father threw up his arm in anger and swore. “Damn it, I told him not to tell you.”

“He didn’t. I found out accidentally. Can you imagine how awful it was to find out that my father bought and paid for my husband?”

“I just want the best for you. I thought Siwon would take care of you.”

“I can take care of myself. I don’t need a man to do that. I want a man who wants me for who I am, not because my father waves a lucrative deal in front of him. I want someone who loves me.”

“Yoona, are you sure about this? I don’t believe for a moment that Siwon doesn’t care about you. Think about what you’re doing here, honey. Do you really want to throw everything away because of the way you met? I understand your anger and I take full responsibility. Siwon never wanted to deceive you. It was me from the start.”

Yoona shook her head. I’m going to stay with Jessica for a bit until I figured out what my next step is. I need to find a better job. I have a child to consider now. Siwon is right at one thing. It’s time to pull my head out of the clouds and grow up.”

***

“Choi Siwon, please?”

“This is him,” I said while glancing at my clock. It was two in the morning. At the professional tone of the person on the other line, I became fully alert. No call at this hour was a good thing.

“Im sorry, sir, but there’s been an accident. We’ve admitted Choi Yoona here at Seoul Hospital. We have you listed as an emergency contact in Mrs. Choi’s belongings. She was in a vehicular accident on her way. The sooner you arrive, the better.”

It took several moments for the woman’s word to sink in.

Accident.

Yoona.

Arrive quickly.

I said nothing further as I dropped the phone into the receiver and jumped from my bed. Knew I couldn’t get any answer until I reached the hospital, so I started moving.