Truth

My Best friend, Byun Baekhyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FIFTY two; TRUTH

 

“Speaking of love, did you know Baekhyun’s going to Australia?”

 

 Wait, what?? I thought, screaming in my mind. But I did so through my lips. It escaped as if it really has to go out and In-na tilts her head as soon as I exclaimed.

“He’s supposed to tell you though. He told me then why didn’t he tell you?” she furrowed her brows.

“I—” I have to go was the words in my mind but I didn’t have to say that. My feet took me outside and I ran and ran and ran and ran and ran until I reached the driveways.

I held my knees, panting and sweaty from all the running. “Baekhyun’s leaving?”, I say to myself. Grabbing my phone from the pocket, I dialed Luhan’s number and waited for him to pick it up.

C’mon, c’mon, c’mon. “Hello? Lara?” he said through the phone.

“Hey,” I said, faintly. “Baekhyun’s…... going to ….Australia” my voice was strained and I was still panting in between the words.

“Yeah, I know.”

“What? Then why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t anyone tell me? Who else knows about this huh? Why am….” I started feeling warm tears on my cheeks. “…I always the last one to know?”

“Look, Lara. I didn’t want to tel—”

“No,” I stopped him. “Why don’t you tell me when everyone else knows already?” then I hung up. My fingers dialed up another number.

“Lara, hey!” I heard Dae-mi’s little voice .

“Dae-mi, can I come over for a while? I need to talk to you.” I said softly.

“Sure, Chanyeol’s here though. Is that okay?”

“Yeah, thanks.” I hung up and walked to her house.

 

***

 

After around ten minutes of walking alone in silence, I reached the front board steps of Dae-mi’s house. I knocked twice and it didn’t take minute or two for Dae-mi to open the door. She pulled me inside quickly and shut the door behind her. I guess she’s still a little mad about me taking College forms in other countries.

It was a silent trip to her room and she made me sit on her bed while she sat next to me. “What happened? You sound tired”

“No, I’m fine. I just ran from the Music room to the gates of school that time.”

“Why?” she furrowed her brows.

“I’ve made a decision on the way here.”

“Oh” she says. She knew what I was talking about.

“Yeah,” I sighed. “I’m not going to take Colleges in other countries.”

“Omo! Lara! That’s great!” she exclaimed while pulling me into an embrace. “It’s so selfish though because y’know colleges in other countries are way cool but we have plans set for Korea so…”

I pulled away. “And I have another problem…”

“What is it?”

“I know that Baekhyun should be none of my business now because I told him myself that what we have is over but it doesn’t mean my feelings are and…” I managed to say but until someone barged in the room.

We both eye at the person. It was Chanyeol. “What’s up?” he said and looked at me. “Oh, hey Lara!” he sat beside me on my other side.

“She has a problem.” Dae-mi told him. “Go ahead, sweetie.”

“…Baekhyun’s leaving for College. He’s going to Australia.”

Chanyeol stood up, shocked. “What?!” he exclaimed. “Is that true? How are you so sure? Who told you that? How come I don’t know?”

“I don’t know,” my voice cracked at the sentence. “In-na told me hours ago when I met her in the Music room.”

“Try asking Baekhyun, I’m sure he’ll tell you.” The girl on my left said.

I sighed. After what I did just today, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to talk to me. I can’t just march up to his house and ask about him leaving as if he knows that I still care. It’s just hours ago that I hurt him and now doing that, it’s crazy talk.

“I doubt that.” I said, then looked down. “It doesn’t work that way.”

“Well it has to.” She said.

“I don’t even know that he’ll leave.” Chanyeol searched for his phone in his pocket. “I’m calling him now.”

Dae-mi looked at him then back to me. She gave me that reassuring face that it’ll be okay and it is the right thing to do. It’s the same face she showed when they tried to convince me in doing the treatment. Not getting signed up for a therapy while my stage is in sort of mild condition is unreasonable but I’ve got unreasonable reasons which I try to push because I just think it’s for the best. I don’t think I’m even making sense right now.

Chanyeol put his phone down and he looked upset. “He’s not answering.”

“Lara,” Dae-mi laid a hand on my thigh. “I think you should go talk to him.”

My eyes widened. “Seriously?” I exclaimed.

They both nodded. Sigh. I have no choice.

“You also have to tell him about your cancer, sweetie.” Dae-mi said with a soft tone. I don’t know if it’s pity or comforting. I just don’t care at the moment.

“Why?” I furrowed my brows at her.

She sighed and sat more comfortably beside me. “L

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter