-2-

Wired

▼Eun Ji▼

I stared blankly at the words and images that flashed by, not processing anything in. My mind was completely blank. I blinked away the static images that blurred my vision and stood from the desk. I stretched my back and stared up at the sky. It was nearing midnight, and the sky was absent of all existing light aside from the growing moon.

I grabbed my jacket from the back of the chair, placed on my bag and let the building. My current job as a secretary paid me enough. I had managed to move us from the run-down neighborhood that we used to live in, to an average sized apartment with 3 bedrooms.

I walked out to the near bus stop absentmindedly, my mind preoccupied with thoughts. I got on the bus and rode home. I got off and went up to the apartment unit, where I found Jae Rim and Tae Woo already fast asleep in their beds.

I shed off my work clothes and took a quick shower. I put on my pj, which consisted of shorts and a tank top. I sat on the bed with my phone next to me, wondering waiting for someone to call.

As I predicted, my phone began ringing. I reached out and answered the phone.

Immediatly I knew it was Hyori due to her hesitation before speaking.

“Have you heard from Ji Ho yet?” she asked uncertainly.

I was slightly deterred that she’d actually do something like attempt to start a conversation about Ji Ho in the first place. It was so unusual that I couldn’t help but stop and listen, just to see where this was going to.

No one had ever talked to me about Ji Ho since his sudden disappearence almost 10 months ago… Probably yelling and cursing him, but talked casually about him?

Nope.

Never. And I meant that literally.

“…Ji Ho,” I repeated the name slowly, not sure what to say. 

“Yeah…”

“Why the sudden question? You know, he basically tossed all of us aside and just left, right?” I asked, looking over at the blackened night sky. 

"He had his reasons, Eun Ji"

"I don't care about him anymore, Hyori. He chose to leave us behind" I said, my voice cynical and stony.  She disregarded my tone, and continued talking. The corner of my mouth twitched upwards, hearing her talk about something else.

“Have you spoken to that guy that you told us about?”

I faltered. It was weird having her ask me that question. It was even weirder when Hyori  asked it, considering the fact she didn't seem to care much when I brought it up.

I stared up at the ceiling expectantly, and I cleared my throat before mumbling "a while ago”

She stopped talking and I arched my eyebrows, wondering what she would say next.

“So there's nothing… going on between you two?" She asked curiously.

I rolled my eyes and bit my bottom lip. It was embarrassing really. To actually open my mouth and tell my friend that no, he probably thinks that I'm some sick person who needs therapeutic help.

“No, I haven't! Don’t take it the wrong way!” I said urgently, getting out of bed. 

“Alright…” She trailed off.

“Well you should go out with him.”

I almost choked on air hearing this. "No I'm good. I'm really tired, Hyori. I'll talk to you tomorrow" With that, I hung up and placed my phone on the night stand.

I sighed loudly and collapsed into the pillow cushioning. It was too quiet. I should be used to the quiet since I've been living like this for almost 4 months now.

It never really seemed to bother me before. I mean… perhaps it did on some subconscious level, but after talking to Hyori, everything was so mute it was deafening. I groaned dejectedly into the bedding and forced myself into a sitting position. 

I stared out the window, taking in the darkened sky.

Maybe I need to let down my walls and get myself out there.