-8-

Wired

•Eun Ji•

I sniffed the warm vapors, taking in the herbal fragrance . I clutched my tired fingers around the cup, savoring the heat that seeped through my skin.

"Thank you," I breathed out.

"You're welcome," Seo Young replied, pouring herself a cup. She sat across from me and sat there, staring at me.

"What's up?" She finally asked, probably confused by my stillness.

"Nothing," I mumbled, lifting the tea up to my lips.

I watched as her eyes shut closed, a frown forming on her face as I sipped. She shrugged her shoulders and wrapped her fingers lazily around her cup. I took a slurp, the hot tea relieving my tightened throat. The hint of jasmine instantly brought my mind back to today's event.

"What did you do today?" She asked, opening her eyes finally. 

"I went to work and I saw Seung Ho," I answered calmly, glancing over at the stove.

"He works there too? Since when? No when..." Seo Young paused, drumming her glossy pedicured nails along the porcelain table.

"He's working along side our company. He even gave me a ride yesterday ," I recalled quietly, taking another sip.

"It would be nice if you had a boyfriend, then you wouldn't be so lonely," she sighed, smiling. I slid my bare feet along the wooden floor, letting out a sigh. If only I had someone to call my own, then maybe my heart wouldn't feel so empty.

I took in the stillness of the room, enjoying the silent tranquility that it provided. It must be pretty nice to have someone. It seemed like a nice idea, given the fact that I would have someone to talk to. 

"It would be nice. But," I spoke, my right pinky toe finding a small crack to dip into. I continued to slide it back and forth, imagining how my life could be if there was a man present. "I don't think my life would change. It's probably just a phase that I'm going through." I scratched at my milky wrist, off-put by Seo Young's silence. 

"So you liking Seung Ho is just a phase?" She finally responded, obviously confused.

"I...I don't like him. My feelings for him are indifferent since I don't really know him"

"Then why do you keep bringing him up? You clearly have some feelings for him, Eun Ji" She stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"...I don't like him. He..." I stopped, looking down at the table. I wanted to say it but I felt ashamed to.

"He what? Did he hurt you? Oh my goodness, if he did something to you, I swear I'm going to destroy him. They don't call me 'Seo Young the crazy ' for nothing" She declared, a hint of anger threatening to escape.

"No no, you've got it all wrong. I think he has a girlfriend," I quickly said, trying to calm down the situation before it got out of hand. I placed my head of the table, not wanting to look at her while I spoke.

"I embarrassed myself in front of him and acted like an idiot, he probably thinks I'm weird now," I left out the part of me humiliating myself.

"Eun Ji, don't assume. Who cares if he has a girlfriend. Besides you don't like him so just try to be friends with him, ok" I felt her fingers rest against my shoulder gently, as I inhaled and exhaled. 

If I said I didn't like Seung Ho a little, I would only be lying to myself. When I met him almost a year and a half ago, I was totally enchanted by his breath taking good looks. But when I found out how he actually behaved, I built my little defensive wall and tried to shut him out. But I can't help it, I would admit that my heart has opened a little tiny window ever since meeting him again.

"Hmm, it's hard" I groaned, looking up. 

"It's not. Don't rush things and try to get to know him, alright."

I nodded my head like an obedient little child.

It wouldn't hurt getting to know him, would it?