-7-

Wired

▼Seung Ho ▼

It was eleven at night and the roads were now quiet except for the occasional car that passes by.

Three hours ago, the company had shut down for the night except for the one light that shined brightly from the ninth floor, indicting that Eun Ji was up there. And I was determined to see her after ten whole months of not seeing her. 

I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel, and my eyes burned from the lack of sleep and staring up at the building for hours on end. I broke into a smile when the radio began playing a familiar song. The sweet tune made my eyelids heavy and I fought to keep them open.

The sound of Bruno Mars, softly singing and away at the piano, made me sleepy. When Sandrine had talked me into attending the meeting today, I didn't really think much of it until I saw Eun Ji. 

With another heavy sigh I took out my phone and looked at the time. It read 11:30pm. I gave a quick grunt and placed the phone inside my pocket. Just as I was about to make a move and leave, I saw a figure exiting the building. I squinted my eyes and peered out the open window.

It was Eun Ji.

Eun Ji walked across the parking lot, towards a street light that was next to a bus stop. I brought out my hand and placed it on the shift knob. I put it to drive and slowly drove, trailing behind her. I the low beams and lightly breaked when she hesitantly stopped and turned around. I put the car into park and got out.

"Eun Ji..."

She didn’t move an inch the moment I took a step forward. It seemed like she was rooted to the spot. She just stood there and stared at me, but when I cleared my throat, her little head bobbed to the side, peering at me.

“Erm...hi Seung Ho” she said, taking a step forward. I smiled in amazement, surprised that she still remembered me.

“What are you doing here?” she mumbled but I heard her.

“I was waiting for you“

“Oh...” her voice trailed away, before she continued. “umm...why are you waiting for me?”

I let out an amused chuckle the moment she asked the question. She turned around but I stopped laughing and stared at her.

“Well if you're not going to answer me, then I'll be leaving now” she said, giving a little wave. 

I shook my head. “I was waiting for you because that's what friends do, don't they? But if you want to walk home, then fine by me because the last bus left about an hour ago” I finished with a smirk.

She quickly turned around and opened then closed it again. Then, she shook her head. “Are you serious?"

I turned around and started walking to my car. I stopped and took a glance behind me and saw her craning her neck, still looking at her. I shook my head and smirked. He sighed and turned around, looking at her.

"I'll give you a ride home. Come on"

I opened the door and got in. I started the car and stared out straight at Eun Ji. She looked at me as she made her way towards the passenger door. She opened the car and got in. I started the car and drove out of the parking lot.

The rivet melody of music drifted through the limpid air. I inhaled and exhaled, smiling.

“Do you know where I live?” asked Eun Ji. I felt her eye me carefully.

“Yeah,” I replied, not paying any attention to what she'd said. I took a quick peek at her and saw that her head was perched on her hands, with her head tilted up, looking up at the night sky . A piece of dark brown hair flew in her face, resting lightly against her cheek.

“Seung Ho?” Eun Ji called out, snapping me back to reality.

“Yeah?” I looked away, back at the road.

“Why are you here…”

“Hmm..." I tightened my fingers around the wheel awkwardly, accidentally passing through a red light. The burgundy colored red blurred by as I sped on, ignoring her.

Everything was silent until we got to her apartment. I parked right in front of the building, staring straight ahead.

"Because you're my friend, aren't you?" I quickly responded, not looking at her. She didn't respond, instead I heard her unbuckle her seat belt and open the car door. Before she even had the chance to get out, I turned to her and grabbed a hold of her wrist.

"I'm sorry about the other time..." I whispered. I felt her tense up and quickly let go. I watched as she opened the door and left. I looked down at where she had been sitting not long ago.

Even though she hadn't responded, the mere fact that she had even talked to me brought on an immense relief for me.