-1-

Wired

Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. - Mark  Twain

ΘSeung JoΘ

It was almost amusing watching the looks that people gave me when they saw me walk by. The immense majority of them would shelter their children away, whilst some just chose to glare dirks into my back.

Human nature was really an outstanding matter. It amazed me how quickly everyone – even people I’ve never talked to – automatically seemed to detest me. Not that I minded. In fact I was delighted. I have gotten used to this.

My current dwelling was a home rooted somewhere deep in Seoul City. Lord I loved the people here. Especially the stressed ones. They were more likely to fall under me. It is entertainment in its finest form.

The icy mid-Autumn air rustled the multi-colored leaves that still clanged on to the nearly-dormant maple trees. It was mid afternoon, and despite the baleful gray clouds that loomed over the horizon. The sun still glowed coldly down on the squalid, crowded with the wretched.

I shoved my hands in my coat pockets and walked on, with my shoulders hunched. There was only one particular reason why I was out here in this rather dire weather; none other than collecting pelf that is all. The house I was currently staying in was getting kind of gloomy.

It wasn’t like walking through a slum was much better, but it was something. Other than driving. There were rare instances when I wished I had a stable relationship, with someone to talk to even if it was just to argue with. I was really beginning to get sick and tired of the constant solitude.

The thought was stopped before it even developed when a small figure ran straight into me. Unfortunately for both me and my jacket, the figure had been holding a scalding hot cup of coffee, half of which now seeped through my coat.

“Oh!” the figure said, mortified.

“Oh goodness, forgive me. I am so sorry!”

I was about to say something both unholy and unquestionably uncivil when I got a good look at the klutzy little girl who clearly had no idea how to walk.

It wasn’t her actual appearance that set me off –with black ringlets tucked precariously beneath a red hat, bright brown eyes, a small nose, and an oval face absent of dirt –it was actually the absence of darkness around her that troubled me.

Every single person had an aura around them that only a few beings are able to see, including me. It was like a trail of black smoke that followed them around everywhere they went. The devoid of light was a representation of their depravity as I’ve come to realize. The only time a person is without darkness is when they are brought into this world. Then, they're slowly enveloped by darkness.

It happened to everyone. Except, for this little girl who just spilled coffee all over me.

I changed my abashed expression into a harsh scowl. “Watch where you’re going,” I snapped as I took off my coat.
Her face turned a pale pink and she looked up at me with wide eyes. 

“I-I’m so sorry, sir” she stammered, covering with one hand. 

“I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going, and-“ she glanced down at my coat. “My mom works as a dry cleaner, I’ll get her to clean it”

I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t worry about it,” I huffed.

“Are you sure?” she asked timidly, looking up at me.

Something that most people wouldn't dare do.

I crossed my arms over my chest and glowered down at her. 

“Yes I’m sure,” I said impatiently. “I’m absolutely positive”.

I turned away from her and started to walk off. When I arrived at my destination, I knocked on the door of my victim and situated myself against the door way. There was no way he was going to escape now.

Whatever it was that he had planned, I was certain that it would ultimately end in me wanting to stab him in the gut. For a guy who was obsessed with peace, he really did seem to enjoy putting people within a ten-mile radius of me in danger of my vehement outbursts.

I let out a crazed grin when his wife slowly opened the door. She backed away, the look of terror engraved in her aged face.

"Min Woo, come here!" She yelled slowly backing away. I let myself in and kicked the door closed. I walked to the living room and sat myself right on the old love seat. I looked over at my victim's family, his wife and son, who was no more than 8 years old.

"Mom, what's this man doing here?" The little boy asked, obviously curious.

"He's....he's...."

"I'm a dear friend of your father's" I responded, glaring at the young boy.

I sat there, observing the house. Everything was neatly stored in their respectful places, with a small television on the ground. Moments passed before the gasp of an old man reached my ear.

"M-Mr. Yoo, welcome to my residence" the old man scrambled towards me and I couldn't help but start laughing. At his pathetic being....the act that he was putting on for his precious wife and son.

"Thank you, Mr. Im." I stood up and performed my regular act of bowing forty-five degrees.

"S-so w-what brings you here?"

"To talk about the loan" 

I glanced over at his little boy and for a minute, I actually felt a pinch of sorrow for his father.

"Ah...ah I'll pay you back the money. Just give me more time..." He said hastily, following my glance.

"Hmm you can keep the money. I don't need it. What's your son's name?" I turned back to Mr. Im and nodded towards his son.

"Tae Yang" 

I nodded my head and turned back to the little boy.

"Tae Yang, I hope you grow up to be as bright as the sun" 

I slowly got up and left the residence without another word.

I sighed loudly and continued my walk down the crowded street once again.