Hurt

Destiny

Is she going to like this birthday present? Sunggyu is excited about the surprise birthday party he is going to give her. He had planned almost everything, from choosing a nice little white dress as a present to the point of making a delicate card with pale yellow card stock and bought flowers. He considered how should he give the present, leaving it at her apartment for her to find out or handing it to her personally at a cozy nice place, for he had chosen the latter. He didn't felt sure in the first attempt by leaving the present just there. It felt unsafe for him. He thought meanwhile a surprise, a present, a bouquet and a 2 tiered birthday cake, celebrating it with Myungsoo, would make her the best birthday ever. 

But he was wrong.

On the way to Butterfinger Pancakes, he bumped into Myungsoo and literally, that he almost dropped the cake in his hands. Myungsoo was in a huff of course but what caught his attention was the cake.
"Who is this for?" Myungsoo asked in perplex, eyes fixed still at the cake.
"You don't know? It's MinJung's birthday today." Sunggyu trilled. "Where's MinJung? wasn't she with you? I was going to give her a surprise and you are part of it." He continued as he juggled with the things in his hands .

Myungsoo understood everything now. From gyu's appearance at her place to the message. He felt a pang in his heart. Frozen. He stood there rooted to the ground. He knew. He had hurt her deeply.

"You alright? Wanna go find her together?" Sunggyu inquired. Myungsoo stared blankly in response, he was nowhere sober. Tears blurred his vision as he shook his head and left. 

Sunggyu was dumbfounded. What just happened? Was I dreaming? He questioned his eyes. Slowly and still thinking about what he saw, he approached Butterfinger Pancakes. He pushed open the door using his shoulders and located MinJung right away. She was the only customer there, sitting right at the last window seat. He was too perky to realize her swollen face from afar. In small quick steps, he pranced to the table quietly and "TADA!", he exclaimed, unloading everything from his hands and looked up.
Her watery eyes glistened in the sunlight as she looked away and wiped it off with a fake smile. Before she could say anything, Sunggyu knelt down before her. He could feel the dampness of her skin as he placed his hands upon her cheeks. 
"Wae? Did Myungsoo bully you?" he asked in a hushed tone, feeling whatever the opposite of how he might sound. 
MinJung removed his hands gently and placed them on her lap. "Aniya. Nobody bullied me," she smiled and turned to the table filled with pretty stuffs. She picked up the bouquet and smiled from her heart. There was a petite violet card between the roses that says "Happy Birthday, MinJung!". It was the first happy birthday she received on her twenty second birthday. He took a look at MingJung and decided to let it off for the moment and celebrate her birthday for her. 

"Do you like it?" Sunggyu grinned as he opened the cake box. MingJung bobbled her head up and down and placed the bouquet down. She looked at Sunggyu quietly. For a moment, she found a safe haven for her soul. 
"How old are you again?" Sunggyu pretended as if he don't know.
"Twenty-twooo" MingJung pouted and made a number two using her fingers. He chuckled noisily and arranged 4 candles on the cake. He took out the lighter from his chest pocket and lit the candles up. MingJung stayed silent. 

"Saeng il chook ha hamni da~~
Saeng il chook ha hamni da~!
Sa rang ha nuen woori MingJungie....

Saeng il chook ha hamni da!!

Sunggyu sang her a melodious birthday song. She made a quick wish before blowing out the candles in one huge breath. He clapped heartily and passed her a cake knife. She sliced off a piece and feed him a mouth. 
"Aren't you eating, birthday girl?" Sunggyu asked.
She shook her head and smiled, "Aniyo. I don't feel like eating."
"Mmmm~ Yum yum. You sure you don't want some? I bought it myself you know,"
"Alright.. I'll have a bite." She gave in. Before she knew it, he had already delivered a serving to her lips. She cracked up a bit and devoured the small bite down hungrily. She giggled and asked for more. When they finished, Sunggyu wanted her to open the present. She hesitated a bit before unknotting the yellow ribbon and lift open the lid. To her surprise, it's a beautiful dress! She picked it up carefully and gasped as she saw a hand-knit flower at the edge of the pure white dress. She loved it. She held the dress close to her chest and let out a sigh that has been held in for too long. It did make her feel better, but there was still something etched at the back of her heart that is far more cumbrous.She thought the best and only way out was to go back to Singapore soon and let her heart heal itself with time. She was wrong and HE knew. He knew that nobody has the key to open her heart again, not even himself but Kim Myungsoo. The two of them stayed as silent. Surprisingly, he broke the silence first. 
"So did you like it?" Sunggyu asked, knowing that her answer would be a yes, however bad he knew her day has been.
Indeed, she replied him with a sincere smile. 
That pricked him to continue. He wouldn't bare to hurt her further. He decided finally that he would keep his words that he wanted to say to her until next time, when she feels better. 


Right now, he has to find Kim Myungsoo.