Chapter 13

Sent By God


            
                          Talent Show
        
                           Hyemi Pov


  *4 weeks later*


    Over these past few weeks me and Luhan's relationship grew stronger. Now I don't see him as just a friend or a helper. I'm starting to see him as my brother. He's just always there and cares so much more then he needs to. He's just like Chanyeol to me. 

   He's been using his human form a lot more lately. He likes to use it when he sleeps so he can dream. He ties himself to the tree branch so he won't fall off. 

   He's been helping the lady down the road with her vegetable farm and her garden. Ms.Kwon is really nice. She used to bring my mom and dad flowers to put around the house and in return dad would pay her. She always gave us her best flowers. I don't see much of her anymore since mom left for France. She kinda just keeps to herself.

    Luhan said he was going for a walk and saw her and her husband struggling with the vegetables so he went to help out. He's sweet.

    He finally told me his whole story. From the beginning. After he was finished, I broke down in tears. He just hugged me and laughed. I remember him saying,

   "I have only ever met one other person in my life that would cry over someone else's feelings. Thank you Hyemi." 

    Luhan has been helping me get ready for the talent show at school. It's tomorrow which is the last day of classes before our winter break. It's turning my nerves in knots. We've been preparing for it for a while now. I hope I do well. If I don't I'll commit social suicide. 

    That day I didn't focus on anything in school really. I was to busy getting mentally prepared for the show. We didn't have much work anyway, it's the last day before winter break. Luhan just laughed at me. 

    In the lunch room I listened to the song I was going to sing tonight and hummed out loud. Luhan giggled at me.

   "You have been laughing at me all day. What's so funny?" I asked giggled. He gave me one of his breath taking smiles and poked my nose which scrunched up at the gesture. 

   "You look adorable like this. Nervous I mean. It's funny really. You're not focused on winning, you just want to do well. You're my idol." He tilted his head with a smile. My chest erupted with laughter.

    "I'm not the idol type. And winning doesn't mean anything unless you try your best. Not everything is handed to you. You gotta work your off." He nodded in agreement. 

    "Who are you talking to Hyemi?" Maei lee asked as she sat down next to me. I shook my head. I pulled my head phones out and pointed to them.

   "No one…I was uhmm on the phone with Chanyeol." She nodded her head. I noticed she was staring out. I waved my hand in front of her face.

   "What are you looking at Mae?" She sighed heavily.

   "Kim Jongin…" I looked over at Jongin and his friend eating lunch together and laughing. I giggled.

    "He's a friend of Chanyeol's. I don't really talk to him much. They hang out a lot. Well when Chanyeol finds the time to. He's spending a lot of time with his girlfriend nowadays." Her head whipped around quick. It startled me. She grabbed my shoulders. 

   "You know him!? Why didn't you let me know this information before?!" I giggled and placed her hands down on her lap. 

    "Well I didn't know you had a crush on him. If you had told me I would have put in a word for you." 

   Just then, Jongin looked over at us. Maei Lee blushed and turned her chair around. I laughed. Jongin waved at me and I waved back. He smiled at me and continued his conversation with his friend. 

   "Why haven't you been at lunch lately? I barely see you anymore." I asked Maei Lee as she sulked and ate her rice. 

    "I have been doing a lot of tutoring. My parents are convinced I'll be kicked out of the transfer program if my grades aren't perfect." She picked up her soda can and pouted. I giggled.

   "Well I miss you. Over the break you should come over. If he's free I'll ask Jongin to come over too." She blushed a small tint of pink and smiled.

   "I guess so…"

   After school I went home to finish preparing. I changed out of my uniform and put on some jeans and a white top. I put my light pink long sleeve cardigan on and my boots. 

   When I was done getting ready, me and Chanyeol sat down together to watch HeartStrings for a few hours. That's just something we like to do together. Watching dramas and movies. It's one of the ways we get to bond. I know Chanyeol doesn't have a lot of time to just hang out so I'll take what I can get. We casually sang along to the music together.

   "You nervous for tonight?" He nudged my shoulder. 

   "Yeah a little bit. I'm not worrying about winning…I'm worried about messing up. As long as I sing well I'll be ok." He rubbed my shoulder gently.

   "You'll do well kido. It'll be the first time I'm hearing you sing like this. On a stage, it'll be like watching a concert or something.  Speaking of which, we gotta go now. Come on grab an apple or something before we go." 

    I grabbed the last apple and headed out the door. By the time we got to school, we could see all the parents and students entering the gates. The sun was already setting and it looked beautiful. To bad we can't have the show out here. It's freezing. 

   We got to the auditorium and Chanyeol took his seat. He gave me a smile before I left to get back stage. All the performers were back here preparing for their performances. I looked around to see if there was anyone I knew but it was mostly seniors. 

   "Hyemi? I didn't know you were performing." I heard someone say behind me. I turned to see Jongin's smiling face. I smiled back.

   "Yeah I'm pretty nervous. I'm singing. What about you?" 

   "Dancing. Is Chanyeol here with you? Maybe we can all go out after." I nodded my head. I pulled the curtain back and pointed to Chanyeol in the crowd.

   "Yeah that'll be nice. Me and Chanyeol didn't have any plans after so it'll be nice." His facial expression changed rather quickly. He looked angry and crossed his arms.

   "Looks like someone wants to talk to you." I tilted my head. 

   "What? Who are you talking about?" 

   "Don't look now but that dip Minwoo is looking over here. He looks jealous. I didn't know he was performing. His girlfriend is here too." I lowed my head. The one person I don't want to see is here. This makes performing that much harder.

   "He's probably singing…did Chanyeol tell you about what happened?" He nodded his head. His eyes still trained on Minwoo.

  "I'm sorry but yes. Chanyeol is really worried about you kid. Since I'm the only friend he has that goes here, he asked me to keep an eye on you and make sure you don't go near any guys that look suspicious. I was told if any guy goes near you to kick their . Since no guys have gone near you since Minwoo. I've had no reason to go near you. No offense." I frowned and hit his shoulder lightly.

   "How do you expect me to get a boyfriend if I'm not allowed near any guys?" He smiled.

   "Don't worry. I know who's good and who's bad. Don't worry about Chanyeol. I'll take care of him. Just don't mess around with these idiots anymore. You're better then that. You deserve something more stable. I mean you haven't had a boyfriend yet. Pick someone better. Like me." I blushed madly. I hit his shoulder harder. He laughed

   "Chanyeol has been telling you to much crap." he laughed at me and pinched my cheek.

   "Hyemi…" Minwoo called from behind me. I turned around and he was and he was standing so close. I moved back close to Jongin. He put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me back. He gave Minwoo his best smirk.

   "Is he bothering you baby?" He pulled me in for a back hug. Casually resting his head on my shoulder. Minwoo looked away from us.

   "Can I just talk to for a second Hyemi? Please…" Jongin held me tighter.

   "You don't have too Hyemi." I looked at Minwoo's face and he looked sincere. I placed my hands over Jongin's and took them off my tummy. 

   "It's ok Jongin…I'll be ok." He looked at Minwoo then back at me. He ruffled my hair and brushed past Minwoo.

   "I'll be over here…in case you need me." 

   Minwoo let out a deep breath before looked back at me.

   "So…your with Jongin now?" I shrugged my shoulders.

    "Not really, he's just…protective I guess." He nodded his head.

    "I didn't know you two were friends. I have never seen you guys talking or hanging out." 

    "Well he's a friend of my brothers so he has to look after me. He's more of an acquaintance. I don't know him personally. But either way, I don't see how that's your buisness. Why did you wanna talk?" He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

    "I just wanted to see how you were doing and what your act is for the show…and say sorry I guess." 

   I turned my head to the side and saw Luhan standing by the other side of the stage with his hands behind his back.

    "I'm good. I'm gonna be singing and don't say sorry. I'm over it really. You should be more focused on your performance with Jieun. Duet I see. I'm ok don't worry. I always am. I gotta go. Good luck." 

   I quickly took off towards Luhan. He was standing in the corner. He was in his angel form thank god so no one could see him.

   "What have you been? I haven't see you since I left school." He smiled at me.

    "I went down to see Ms. Kwon for a bit. When I was done I told her about your talent show today and she said to wish you luck. I asked if I could bring you something and she gave me this." He pulled a small yellow rose from behind his back. I smiled.

    "I remember you saying tulips were your favorites so I asked Ms.Kwon if she had any when we went to her green house. She didn't have any but she had a bunch or roses. She said yellow ones are a common sign of friendship and will just make you feel better. I want you to have good thoughts about your performance. Don't be nervous. Just clear your head. You'll do great."

   He took the clip in my hair and laced the rose through it. I smiled up and him. I hugged him tight. I soon felt his arms around my shoulders.

   The show had started and they started with the unique acts category. It was fun to watch. A lot of magic tricks and comedians. 

   Then after it was the dance category. Watching Jongin was breath taking. No wonder Maei Lee likes him so much. He looked incredibly appealing and y when he's dancing. 

   Finally it was the singing category and I felt my nerves kick in and I was starting to shake. Luhan rubbed my shoulders. 

   I was the last performer since I was the last one to sign up. Jieun and Minwoo were right before me. They were singing Gain&JoKwon's song We Fell In Love. Typical…

    When the two left the stage, Jieun bumped my shoulder and I bumped hers right back. She looked at me. She grabbed Minwoo's arms and smirked. She casually dragged him along. 

   "Our final performer of the night is 2nd year Park Hyemi who will be singing F.T Island's song Memory." Everyone clapped and I could hear Chanyeol cheering loudly. He was standing in front clapping. 

   "You'll do well Hyemi. I believe in you. Now go." Luhan nudged me out. 

   I walked on to the stage slowly and Chanyeol smiled widely at me. I grabbed the mic and adjusted the stand.

   "Uhmm…this is my first time performing like this so I'm a little nervous. I'll try my best." I got another round of applause. My music started. I took a deep breath. How am I gonna get through this?

No! Hyemi you can do this! Come on! Let's show them just how great you are! Here we go!

   "Even if I erase everything that reminds me of you. I can't throw away the memories even though our drama up until now has ended. Love is painful…"

   Little by little I could feel my nerves fading. My hands gripped the mic tight.

    "The watch you gave me wakes me up every day. Once again, I can’t go to sleep, oh baby. 
 Yeah, to me, love is pain, I’m hurt by love. I can’t move a single step so I can’t hold onto it but I can’t let go of it, it’s love.
I am lost, I hate love."

    My hands weren't shaking out of fear. The adrenaline was kicking in and all I can think of was beating Jieun and Minwoo and everybody. I just want to kick .

   "In my memory, I will erase your voice. In my memory, I will even erase your name. I think I have been in pain enough. Every time, I call out to you and break down."

   My heart is pounding out of my chest and I just let the words flow. I glanced over at Luhan who was smiling gently.

   "I thought things would be okay once the sun rose and set and the seasons changed. The spot you were in is so deep that it won’t close up. Your hair pins left on the sofa keep poking me. It hurts so I can’t even smile, oh baby.
 Yeah, to me, love is pain, I’m hurt by love. I can’t move a single step so
I can’t hold onto it but I can’t let go of it, it’s love. I am lost, I hate love."

    I looked over at Minwoo and Jieun who moved closer to see me on stage. Jieun had her arms crossed and looked rather angry and Minwoo just looked shocked. 

    "In my memory, I will erase your voice. In my memory, I will even erase your name. I think I have been in pain enough. Every time, I call out to you and break down."

   For a moment it was like time stopped and it was just me on stage. No one else was in the auditorium and it was just one light on me. It was an amazing feeling…

    "Because there was so much I didn’t do for you. Because there were so many times I was bad to you. I guess I’m receiving what I gave to you. Because there was so many things I am sorry for. Because there are so many things I should be criticized for. I guess I can’t forget what I said to you."

    Alright Hyemi, this is the end. Take it home! Big finish!

    "In my memory, I will erase your voice. In my memory, I will even erase your name.
 I think I have been in pain enough
Every time, I call out to you and break down.
 In my memory, your heavy tears.
In my memory, the memory of holding you.
I think I have erased you enough
But I can’t let go of you and I break down."

   The music faded and I was left taking deep breaths on the stage. I looked up at the crowed of my teachers, classmates and their parents. For a split second, it was quiet then cheering and clapping irrupted. I was in shock but I was excited.

    "That's my baby sister!!" Chanyeol shouted and grabbed the woman by the shoulders next to him and shook her. I bowed politely to the crowd and walked off.

   When I got back stage I was enveloped in a hug by Jongin. I laughed.

    "Damn Hyemi I didn't know you could sing like that. You've been keeping that to yourself for to long. It was a well awaited performance." He pinched my cheeks again hard. I smiled at him. Minwoo came up behind him with wide eyes. Jieun still at his side with a grimace. 

    "Hyemi…I had no idea you could sing. Why didn't you tell me?" I shrugged.

    "You never asked." Jongin pushed past him again to grab my hand and pull me out to the other side of the stage. Luhan was still in the corner and gave me one of his breath taking smiles and a thumbs up.

   I waited back stage with Jongin while they announced the awards for each category. 3 winners for each. 

   "Now our 3 winner in the dance category. In 3rd place, Kim Hyuna. 2nd place Yang Yoseob. And our 1st place winner is…My Lady by Kim Jongin " I pushed him out on stage. He bowed politely before taking his glass placate. 

    "Now the winners of our singing category. In 3rd place we have Shin Bora. 2nd place…Jieun and Minwoo." I heard Jieun groan out in anger as she went out with Minwoo to go retrieve their placate.

   "Our 1st place winner is…Memory by Park Hyemi! Who will also be the recipient of our most favored performance award!" 

   I stood in place. I was in utter shock. I felt hands on my shoulders that gently pushed me forward. I walked out on stage. I bowed twice before taking my awards and my flowers. I was asked by my principle to take a picture.

    Once the show was over I went into the crowd with Jongin to find Chanyeol. When we found him he lifted me from the ground with happiness.

    "I knew you could do it! I always knew you were a beautiful singer. You did your best today kido, I'm so proud of you." He put me down and we took a quick picture. 

    "Hyemi!!" I heard a girl shout. I turned to see Maei Lee running towards me. I smiled as she threw her arms around me.

    "I knew you could do it! 1st place! You're such a cool Unni!" We giggled and I heard Jongin clear his throat behind me. I turned around and he was just staring in Maei Lee's direction. 

    "Hyemi, who's your friend?" I smirked.

    "Jongin. This is my good friend Maei Lee. She's a Chinese exchange student from Hong Kong. Maei Lee, this is Kim Jongin. Dance machine and captain of the performers club." I moved Maei Lee out from behind me. Her whole face was red.

    "So Maei Lee, are you doing anything after this?" He asked casually. Maei Lee shook her head.

    "I told my parents I would be home after the show." He reached out a hand towards her.

    "Then I'll drive you. We'll take the long way around. Maybe it'll give me a better chance to hear that sweet voice of yours when we're alone. Sound good?" She nervously put her hand in his. He held it gently. He led her over to the exit. 

    "Idiot! What about dinner?!" I shouted and he waved back at me.

    "Take a rain check on that." As he was leaving, I noticed Luhan was at the exit too. He was leaving. Before I could run to him, Chanyeol had put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me to his side.

    "So, I guess it's just the brother and sister duo tonight. Where do you wanna go? Dinner? Movies?" I laughed. I put my arm around his waist and we started to walked.

    "How about dinner? I'm starving." 

   After dinner we finally got back home, I got a text from Maei Lee.

 To: Hyemi!!

He's as dreamy as I imagined!! When we got to the car we talked and went on a long drive. My house is only 10 minutes away from the school and we drove for an hour! When we finally got to my house he asked me out on a date! A real date!! Me!!! 

    I giggled to myself. I'm such a great match maker. To bad I can't do it for myself. 

    "I'm heading to bed now kid. Good job today I'm really proud of you. I love you sis." Chanyeol kissed the top of my head and made his way up the stairs to his room. I grabbed some crackers and went up to my room. 

    I noticed a small flickering light from my room. Like there were candles all over. It was low but the closer I got I could hear the sounds of a symphony. A beautiful orchestra. 

    I carefully opened the door and poked my head in slowly. The smell of jasmine and fresh cotton hit my nose. Who…

    "Hey…" Luhan whispered. He was in his human form. He was wearing a pair of Chanyeol's old jeans and a black sweater. I smiled.

    "What is all this?" He walked closer, holding out his hand.

    "Just a way to say I'm happy for you. I knew you could do it and watching you win those awards was amazing. So I wanted to give you one more award. You are my best friend. This is what friends do. They celebrate each other victories. Now we dance." I giggled at his adorableness. I took his hand.

    It's wasn't a sensual or experience. It was like dancing with Chanyeol or my dad. Like dancing with a friend. 

    I remember dancing with my dad and Chanyeol all the time. My dad would record us all the time. We still have our home videos in the hallway closet. I miss my dad…he was my hero.

    I began to tear up at the thought of my dad. Luhan paused the music.

    "What's wrong Hyemi? You don't like dancing? Would you like to sleep now? I know you've had a long day. I apologize for this I just want you to be happy…" I brushed my small tears away. I hugged him tightly around his waist.

    "Thank you so much Luhan. You're an amazing friend. This is all so beautiful." He giggled and ruffled my hair.

    "Maybe it's time for bed."

    We blew out the candles and put everything away. He gently took my flower and clip from my hair. 

    "Good night Hyemi. Sleep well." He smiled. Tonight he changed back to his angel form. Gracefully climbing out of the window on to the tree. I got ready for bed and climbed in.

    The thought of today's performance came to mind. I wonder what it will be like now at school. All my classmates and teachers were there. All the guys I liked in the past were there…I wonder who will try to come up and talk to me now. Oh joy…

    I looked over at the window and saw Luhan intently staring at the sky. He usually does. His facial features are so soft but manly in some ways. He's rather handsome. I'm glad to have a friend like him. It's like having another brother with me. Maybe I'll find a boyfriend that makes me feel comfortable like that. 

 

 

 

Authors Note: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for being so delayed on my updates. I'm actually on vacation with my family right now in Jersey. We have a time share and we go camping every summer at different sites. We stay in a cabin and it's pretty nice this time. I wish we could go back to our favorite spot I used to go to as a kid. We are near it but not quite. We get to go down to the Jersey shore and have fun on the board walk. I love coming down here. We brought my nephew this time. He's only 3 years old and it's his first time camping. He's a pain in the but he's loving it. I adore that kid. I went fishing for the first time and caught a huge fresh water fish. We put it in a bucket and my nephew loved it. I usually write my best when we come out here. No distractions and things are simple. I miss my boyfriend but I miss you guys too. I hope you enjoyed the update. Don't forget to comment and upvote!
     

 Inspiration:

F.T Island: Memory

The Great Big World: Say something I'm giving up on you

Rob Thomas: Little Wonders