Chapter Eight

Love In The Ice

The next morning, Kyuhyun woke up to feeling hot, but completely comfortable and relaxed. He opened his eyes to see a mess of blonde hair right in front of him, his eyes widened; he lowered his gaze over the blonde’s body, seeing the that was turned towards him then seeing the pants that were still on the blonde. He wondered who the person was at first until it dawned on him that it was the angel. Yesung. Apparently he had slept last night, but Kyuhyun didn’t think he would end up curling up to the angel.

He moved to get up without waking the angel, sweat making its way down his face, and he felt why, the direction of the sunlight coming in was hanging overhead and the closed up tent was like an oven, so it was around noon. He looked down at himself when his legs felt tangled and his eyes widened again at the sight he was greeted with. His pants were pushed down to his knees, he was exposed, and he saw a dried mess on his chest that he needed to get rid of fast to avoid any embarrassment if the angel happened to wake up and see it.

Slowly the dream that he had last night resurfaced as he wiped at the mess with the bottom of the sleeping bag, he cursed to himself. He realized that he could’ve pushed down his pants when he subconsciously felt the temperature rise since that’d been a habit in the past when he got too hot throughout the night, and then he probably had an accident because of the dream.

He cursed himself for doing something so stupid, he never had control over his dreams, but that dream from last night, first it started out with Mina and then ended with Yesung, and he didn’t know how he felt about it. Sure, he found the angel attractive, but it was an angel, of course, he was supposed to be insanely beautiful. He didn’t doubt that Eunhyuk and Donghae thought Yesung was beautiful too, it was a no-brainer, but to go as far as to have a wet dream about the angel, something had to be wrong with him.

As he worked at getting his underwear and pants back on, he caught the sight of something balled up in the corner of the tent. It was a white cloth, one that Kyuhyun did not care to see what the cloth was probably covered in since this was the tent of that erted man. Yesung even found the magazine yesterday to prove what could probably be covering the white cloth. He shuddered.

Then a thought hit him, what if that old ert was haunting him now? He’d slept on the man’s sleeping bag, inside the man’s tent, even burnt one of the man’s prized possessions, the magazine. What if that old geezer was the one responsible for the dream that Kyuhyun had? There was no other explanation to it, he concluded, he’d heard of ghosts influencing people’s dreams before. That ert was probably a ghost now and made him dream about sleeping with Yesung.

He wanted to hurl if that was the case, no way was he turning into some ert. Of course, the dreams about him and Mina could be questionable to that conclusion but he shook that off, those dreams were just influenced by memories. Mina was his memory to fantasize about, Yesung wasn’t.

“A-Are you alright?” The sudden voice, a bit hoarse sounding, caused Kyuhyun to jump and almost cry out in fright. He clutched at his chest to try and will his heart to slow down its thundering pace.

He turned back to see Yesung sitting up, rubbing the sleep from one of his eyes, his hair was a mess, and he looked like he was still tired. “Y-Yeah, I’m fine. Just… just really hot. This tent is like an oven in here, I need to get some air.”

Yesung watched as Kyuhyun grabbed his shirt and scurried out of the tent. The angel’s head tilted to the side in confusion, what was the man scared of? Had he startled him? Or was the man regretting the things he did the night before and just didn’t want to face the angel? Yesung wondered, but he decided that he wouldn’t say anything. He didn’t want to embarrass Kyuhyun further, especially since the man was his protector. He didn’t want to do anything to cause the man to leave him on his own in case he did offend Kyuhyun by saying anything about last night.

Maybe that was the reason why he had so many women, he slept with them one night and then didn’t acknowledge it the next day. But then he’d remembered hearing the name that Kyuhyun was mumbling before he decided to try and wake the man up. Mina. He wondered who this Mina woman was, it was obvious that Kyuhyun still loved her or wanted her, that could’ve been the reason as well as to why he had so many women, to try and forget his past lover.

He shrugged it off and tried to make himself presentable, he knew his walk was going to be a bit off today, it’d been long time since he’d done that, and he was still sore, but he was sure he could manage. He’d wiped away most of the remains of his and Kyuhyun’s actions last night, and he hoped he didn’t miss any before pulling his pants back on. When the angel realized he would need something to cover up the marks on his necks that Kyuhyun put there last night, he started rummaging through a few of the things inside the tent to try and find a solution for them.

 

 

Outside the tent, Kyuhyun quickly slipped into his shirt and started buttoning it up as he joined his two partners that were around the fire, making breakfast. He didn’t miss the amused looks that he was getting from the two. Eunhyuk’s head was down while he was trying to fight a smile from wanting to break out on his lips, and Donghae didn’t even care if Kyuhyun saw as he warmed up the food over the fire.

Kyuhyun glared at the two, “Alright, what’s the inside joke that I’m not in on yet?”

Donghae shook his head, the smile still tugging at his lips, “Oh, nothing. Just heard some fairly odd noises throughout the night.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened, did he end up screaming out someone’s name or while he was dreaming and they heard?! He didn’t think he was that loud, and if he was, then why didn’t Yesung say anything about it? The angel couldn’t keep his mouth shut for more than five seconds without a question bubbling up in him, so why didn’t the angel question him? Unless… he mumbled Yesung’s name while he was asleep, Kyuhyun would die of embarrassment if that was the case.

He brushed it off, trying to sound indifferent as he scowled at them, “Oh yeah? I couldn’t hear anything over your constant ‘Eunhyuk, there, oh gods, faster!’ throughout the night.”

A blush covered Donghae’s cheeks before he turned back to the task at hand while Eunhyuk laughed nervously. “You didn’t hear us last night. We didn’t even do anything, besides you were Mina’s name so loudly that I’m surprised Yesung didn’t wake up and tell you to shut up.”

“Oh.” Kyuhyun stared at the hunter before lowering his gaze, relieved. So it wasn’t Yesung’s name that he was calling in his dream. It was Mina’s instead. He sighed to himself, pleased in that information, but Donghae and Eunhyuk took it as something else.

“Hey, Kyuhyun, we didn’t mean anything by it,” Donghae spoke up; his eyes filled with worry now, “We know you still have nightmares about her, sorry for joking about it.”

“Huh?” He questioned, noticing their faces now looked worried, and then it dawned on him. He waved it off, “Ah, guys, its okay. I’ve gotten over it by now. She still haunts me, but I’m not as bothered by her memory as I was.”

Eunhyuk and Donghae exchanged a glance before they nodded, before Eunhyuk replied, “Okay.” Then he decided to change the subject, mostly back to what he and Donghae saw that morning when they peeked into the tent that morning to see if him or Yesung was awake yet. “I’m guessing you did have a nice dream last night though, right?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened, he thought they were done with this subject, “What you do mean?”

“Donghae and I looked into the tent this morning after we got up to make breakfast to see if you or Yesung were awake yet. You both were still out, but the weird thing was, you were , well almost since you still had your pants on, even though they were down to your ankles, and had a bit of a mess on your chest.”

The leader choked on his own spit, those two saw that?! What could he say to that? He knew that they knew about his dreams about Mina, but they didn’t know to what extent. What explanation could he give? What could he say?

“Donghae?” Yesung’s voice called, catching their attention as the angel walked over to them, a slight stagger in his walk while he had his arms wrapped around his torso, as if he were cold. “I think I’d like that shirt that you offered me yesterday… if the offer still stands.”

Kyuhyun didn’t think he’d be so grateful to see the angel, because since he’d showed up, maybe that’d stop Eunhyuk and Donghae’s questions, and maybe he wouldn’t have to think up any answers. Although he noticed something about the way Yesung was holding himself, almost as if he were trying not to limp, or rest his weight on one leg too long. When he saw Donghae hand the shirt to the angel and watched as he slipped it on, Kyuhyun noticed several purplish marks along his neck.

His eyes widened when he realized that they were in the same places that he’d kissed and on Yesung’s neck in his dream. Was it really just a dream then? Surely Yesung wouldn’t be willing to do something like that, if it wasn’t a dream. He was an angel, he had to be pure and innocent or whatever angels were. They wouldn’t do that with someone, right? Yeah, so it was a dream, Kyuhyun convinced himself, and dropped the subject completely, he was not going to think anymore about it.

His mind totally didn’t go back to wondering even when he saw Yesung wince as he hesitantly sat down on the log opposite of Kyuhyun. Nor did he think about the sounds coming out of Yesung’s mouth in his dream when he heard the hoarseness of the angel’s voice. Nope, his mind stopped thinking about that dream all together… at least; he scolded himself when it did go wondering again. He just convinced himself that the sooner they got back to the village and on their way back to the employer to drop the angel off, collect their payment, and then be on their way, the better everything will be for them. Well, him anyway.

“Alright, we’re making it all the way back to the village today with no stops, got it?” Kyuhyun spoke up after they finished their breakfast. “I’m sure we can make the rest of the walk before nightfall.” He didn’t miss the pained look that appeared on the angel’s face at the mention of walking, but he paid no mind to it.

“Are you sure that we’ll make it there by nightfall? We’re starting out really late,” Donghae replied, looking up at the direction of the sun before continuing to pack up his equipment.

“I’m sure we’ll manage,” he said before seeing Donghae’s doubtful stare, he sighed, “If not, then we can crash for another night in the woods.”

“Should we take the tents?” Eunhyuk suggested, despite the fact that disassembling the tents would cost them time but it would also be better to sleep in that night if they didn’t reach the village yet.

Kyuhyun quickly shook his head, “No. Leave them; taking them down will just cost us time.” Plus he did not want to sleep in that ert’s tent anymore nor on that sleeping bag, not when he believed that to be the reason why he had the dream about Yesung.

Thinking of the angel, he’d been unusually quiet for most of that day, only talking when he needed something or was asked a question. Kyuhyun found that odd, and the reserved expression on his face almost made Kyuhyun worry but he shook it off. He didn’t have time to care about the angel’s problems. He was only responsible for making sure the angel was safe and alive to take back to their employer.

Although as soon as they started out, Yesung was lagging behind, taking painful steps as he tried to keep up with his protectors but couldn’t due to his backside still being sore. He didn’t want to slow the men down, but it was slightly becoming unbearable. Eunhyuk noticed first, then motioned to Donghae about the angel.

“Um, Kyuhyun?” the hunter called, “Yesung seems to be having a hard time with all our walking.”

Kyuhyun glanced back to see the angel limping as he tried to catch up with them, he sighed to himself. He felt sorry for the angel, he was having a hard time now rather than yesterday after they left the temple. He didn’t want to think of the dream again, he didn’t want to wonder if it actually happened or not, and if he was actually the one responsible for the state of the angel, so he shook his head of thoughts and walked towards Yesung, they were a quite a few feet from him, and stopped the angel.

Yesung looked up at Kyuhyun before lowering his gaze; he figured the leader was mad because he was holding them up, “I apologize for falling behind.”

“You’re fine,” Kyuhyun replied. “What’s wrong with your legs or feet that you’re limping?”

Staring at his feet, the angel’s mind raced, he couldn’t say the real reason as to why he was hurting, he couldn’t embarrass the man, especially if Kyuhyun didn’t remember or didn’t want to remember, so he quickly with an excuse. “I just… I’m not used to walking this much. And I think I stepped on something when I got up this morning.” To be honest, the excuse was rather true, he wasn’t used to walking a long distance, and he was still barefooted so yeah, he had stepped on quite a few things.

Kyuhyun sighed, “Well after being asleep for so long, I wouldn’t doubt that you’re out of shape, and you should’ve told me that you hurt your foot.” Yesung glanced up at the man to see Kyuhyun turn around and squat down in front of him. “Get on, I’ll carry you the rest of the way.”

“A-Are you c-certain? I’m sure I can manage—”

“Get on, if you walk anymore, you could seriously hurt your foot before I get the chance to examine it. Plus, the sun will start setting soon and I don’t want to lose anymore time,” Kyuhyun explained, throwing a glance at the angel over his shoulder.

Yesung nodded and climbed onto the man’s back, Kyuhyun stood back up, surprised at how light Yesung was, it felt like his bag filled with his guns and ammo hanging from his shoulder was heavier than the angel. But when he felt the angel’s thighs in his grips as he held onto them and saw Yesung’s arms up close around his neck, they were like twigs, so it was no wonder why he felt light.

They started up again, but this time, Yesung seemed livelier and back to his annoying self that was present yesterday. He kept pointing out different things he’d see throughout the trees, he’d point at all the little animals and birds that they came across, he even spotted a few foxes and coyotes. The hunters made sure to keep an eye on those animals just in case they tried to attack, they knew that most foxes and coyotes could be scared off, but if the animal was hungry enough, they would try to attack anyway. They kept an eye out for any bears and wolves also. Especially since the day was quickly starting to fade away with the setting of the sun.

“So where exactly are you guys taking me?” Yesung finally asked as his eyes moved around the woods, trying to catch the sight of more animals. He was fascinated by them.

“Uh…” Kyuhyun’s eyes widened before he threw a glance back at Donghae and Eunhyuk who seemed to be ready to hear whatever story that Kyuhyun was going to make up now. Donghae shrugged at the dumbfounded look on the leader’s face. “We’re, um… well, we—”

He was interrupted as soon as Yesung’s eyes spotted a big shell moving towards a small pool of water close to the trail they were walking on, he pointed towards it, and exclaimed, “Oh, look! It’s a turtle! Kyuhyun, look at it! Isn’t it so cute? Can I pet it? Can I—”

Kyuhyun sighed in relief, he didn’t think he’d ever be so grateful to the ugly reptile that was getting stuck in the muddy water, but it saved him from having to think up a quick lie. And to be honest, his mind was completely blank of what to respond with. Where could he say they were going? He could say another temple but as soon as they arrived at Mr. Choi’s mansion, Yesung would see that it wasn’t a temple.

He didn’t know what he could say to him. But as he listened to Yesung’s rambling on and on about the turtle, he hoped that the subject would be dropped for now, until he could think up something.

“No, Yesung, you can’t pet the turtle, and no, you can’t keep it either!” Kyuhyun finally snapped, silencing the angel, but he could see the angel pouting out of the corner of his eye.

“But… it’s so cute,” he mumbled, to which Kyuhyun replied with a firm ‘no’ and a glare. “You’re no fun at all.” The angel stated, laying his chin down on the man’s shoulder and stayed quiet as they continued on their path.