Chapter Two

Love In The Ice

“Are you sure you want to attempt this mission, Kyuhyun?” The brown haired man asked, his eyes full of worry as he stared at the leader of their group once he put down the file. “It looks a lot more dangerous than anything we’ve done in the past. I mean, we’ve never dealt with an angel before.”

Kyuhyun shrugged, cleaning one of his guns as he packed them all away one by one, “I’m always up for a challenge, and for ten thousand pounds of gold, I’d be willing to try.”

“Even if it meant getting yourself and us killed?” Kyuhyun’s blonde haired partner questioned.

“You guys act like we’ve never done anything dangerous before,” Kyuhyun scoffed, glaring at them both. “If you don’t want to come with me on this one, I’ll go by myself.”

“No!” The brown haired man shouted, “No, we’ll go with you, it’s just… we should think this through and go in with a plan. Think about it, a sleeping angel and anyone that’s stepped within a hundred feet of him is burned alive, and they don’t even know how it happens. We can’t go in with just greed and a thirst for a hunt on our minds.”

Kyuhyun glared at the man, then sighed, “You’re right, Donghae. Maybe the place is rigged with a wire or something that no one noticed until it’s too late?”

The blonde shrugged, “It could be, maybe we should get a decoy and send in first just to be sure.”

“Sounds good to me, look into that, Eunhyuk,” Kyuhyun replied, he placed the last gun in his bag. “Tonight we’ll work out all the plans and tomorrow morning, I’ll call Mr. Choi and tell him we’ll leave out day after tomorrow. Is that good with you two?”

Eunhyuk shrugged while Donghae hesitantly nodded. He was still afraid of the dangers of the mission, he knew that they’d been on dangerous missions before, but this one felt off to him. He knew that Kyuhyun’s greed and need for a hunt ruled out the leader’s logical thinking, and there was no talking him out of anything once he’d made up his mind. Donghae just hoped that it wouldn’t end in disaster.

 

A scream echoed out through the hallway, startling the boy awake. It was past midnight, the early morning, and the room was dark with only the little hint of moonlight trying to peek in through the curtains. When he heard several thuds and a slam of the door, he threw back the blankets, scurried out of bed, and opened his bedroom door to peek out into the dark hallway. He didn’t see anything and there was silence throughout the house, swallowing the pit of fear in his stomach, he stepped out into the hallway.

“Umma? Appa?” The young boy called out as he walked down the hallway towards his parents’ room. No one answered, silence still filled the air.

He pushed the door open to his parents’ room and gasped in horror at the sight. Crouched over his mother’s lifeless body was a cloaked being, their head buried in his mother’s neck as the being clutched her body close to theirs. His father lay in a small pool of his own blood on the floor only a few feet away from the being.

His gasp had reached the being’s ears causing their head to jerk up, blood dripping from their mouth as they stared at the boy with glowing, piercing eyes. The boy’s eyes widened in fear just as he saw the being drop his mother and start towards him, he quickly slammed the door and ran back to his room. He closed the door of his room and hurried to get under his bed, scared out of his wits.

He waited and listened, then he saw his bedroom door snap back against the wall. He watched as two boots stood in the entrance of his room before they moved about towards his closet and pushed the door open to peer inside. He tried not to make a sound to give away his location but when he saw the boots turn away from the closet and come closer to his bed, he couldn’t stop a whimper from falling from his lips.

The bed over him was suddenly flipped off him, crashing into the wall, and leaving him exposed on the floor. He scrambled up to get away from the being but didn’t get far when a hand grabbed him by the arm. He was jerked up and slammed against the wall, held there by a hand on his throat, those glowing eyes staring at him as he saw the being’s mouth open to reveal four sharp canine-like teeth.

“I guess that was your parents that I just killed a moment ago, but don’t worry, you’ll be joining them very soon,” the being chuckled, leaning closer and sniffing at the boy’s neck.

He struggled against the grip, clawing and trying to pry the hand off him, he started to choke and gasp for air as the being’s grip tightened on his neck. Tears started pouring down his cheeks when the being at his neck before sinking its teeth into his skin. The pain was horrible, he tried to cry out in agony as he felt the being drinking his blood. Just as he was about to black out from the blood loss, he heard someone shouting.

“Kyuhyun! Wake up already, we’re going to miss our train to the airport!” Eunhyuk shouted, shaking the younger man. “Aish, this kid could sleep through an earthquake.”

Kyuhyun finally opened his eyes and groaned, the memories of the dream still fresh in his mind as he absentmindedly rubbed at the side of his neck, relieved to feel no marks at all.  He swatted at Eunhyuk’s hand and threw the blanket off of him as he made his way to the bathroom. He’d slept through his alarm clock because of that dream, that memory of that dreadful night when he lost his parents. Splashing cold water on his face, he tried to shake off the memory and get himself woken up.

He heard Eunhyuk muttering outside the bathroom before he stripped and stepped into the shower. He had to shake off the dream and get his head into the game, this mission was too important to be messed up by some old memory. As soon as the hot water started pouring down on him, he knew that like the sweat and grime from the night before, the dream would get washed down the drain.