Chapter Six

Love In The Ice

“So this necklace thing is supposed to keep me safe?” The angel asked, running a finger along the metallic object that was currently around his neck. The only clothes they’d been able to find for him that fit him was a pair of pants of Donghae's, so he walked around shirtless for the longest time until his wings receded, when offered a shirt, he still didn't take it. He looked up at the hunter who he assumed was the leader, “I don’t understand how a necklace is capable of doing that.”

Kyuhyun sighed to himself, since they’d left the temple and started down the path through the woods that they came up, the angel had been asking several questions, and he was very near running out of lies to answer with. “It creates a shield around you, and it gives us your location so we’ll be able to find you if anyone manages to take you from us.”

The angel’s head slowly nodded, but he still looked clueless. The angel’s expression caused Donghae to quietly chuckle to himself as he held onto Eunhyuk’s hand. “Oh… but my wings serve as a shield for me, although they seem to have receded since I put this necklace on.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s just a side-effect,” Kyuhyun mumbled, he knew the necklace suppressed the angel’s abilities and powers, but he didn’t think it would also suppress his wings too. He just hoped the angel didn’t decide to tug at the necklace or else, their cover probably would be blown then, if the necklace really did sent out electricity currents throughout the angel. "Don't play with it too much, it might break."

The angel didn’t reply but nodded, running his finger over the necklace one last time before he stopped, his face was still contorted with curiosity, but since he was quiet for the time being, Kyuhyun was grateful. Further along the path through the woods of the mountain, they came across the two men’s belongings that they followed up to the temple. Apparently they had intentions of coming back to their campsite since the tents were up and their fire from the night before still had a little bit of smoke coming from it.

Kyuhyun had every intention on walking right passed it, to get to the village as fast as they could so they could move on and deliver the angel, but Eunhyuk stopped, causing Donghae to stop.

“Can we stay here for the rest of the night?” Eunhyuk asked, his face was still pale even after leaving the temple, and he was still shaken.

Kyuhyun started to open his mouth to protest, but the sharp glare that Donghae threw at him stopped him before he could utter a word. “Sure, we can rest here. It’s been a long day, and a little rest will help.”

Looking over at the angel that was currently looking into one of the tents, Kyuhyun sighed and sat down on the one of the logs beside the fire. He picked up a stick and started poking at the smoking ashes, throwing a quick glance at Eunhyuk sitting in one of the chairs with Donghae by his side. Despite his want to get the angel back quick, collect their payment, and be done with the mission, he knew that the hunter was still scared out of his wits. He’d had a bad feeling about the mission from the beginning, and to come so close to death, if the angel’s hand had tightened even slightly, it could’ve crushed Eunhyuk’s throat, killing him instantly.

They’d had dangerous missions before, even Kyuhyun, himself, has come close to dying before, suffering from several stab wounds, gunshot wounds, even being almost drained dry by some bloodsucking demons before. So he knew what Eunhyuk was going through at the moment, he knew that the hunter was trying to pull himself back together. But unlike Kyuhyun, who had to pull himself back together on his own, Eunhyuk had Donghae now.

“So when were you two going to tell me you were seeing each other?” He asked, catching their attention.

Donghae laughed nervously, “Uh, well, soon. We said after this mission was over… but he,” he nodded towards the angel that was still investigating the campsite, “revealed it before we could.”

“So when did you two decide to get together?”

“Um… a month after our last mission.”

Eunhyuk finally spoke up, “W-We weren’t sure how you’d take it, so we kept it a secret.”

Kyuhyun scoffed, “I wouldn’t have cared, it’s your lives, so do what you want with it.”

The two nodded, while the angel finally took a seat beside Kyuhyun on the log, motioning towards the tents and things littering the ground. “Is this your belongings?”

The leader paused before nodding, “Y-Yeah, it’s ours. We were, um, camping out here so we could protect you in case anyone tried to go to your temple.”

“Oh, okay,” the angel replied, then pulled out a book that he found in one of the tents, showing it to Kyuhyun as he flipped through the pages, “Is this yours then? Since those two are lovers of men,” he waved towards Donghae and Eunhyuk, “I assume this is yours?”

Kyuhyun’s face burned with embarrassment when he saw the book, it was a magazine filled with several pictures of women. He figured it was that one erted man’s magazine that was hoping that the angel was a female. He quickly tried to grab the magazine but the angel jerked it away from him, still flipping through the pages in fascination.

“Are all these women your lovers? Did you make a book out of all their photos that they gave you?” The angel asked, before finally reaching the last page. “This is a lot of women. For a human man, how are you not exhausted?”

Donghae burst out into laughter at hearing the angel, Eunhyuk chuckling quietly, but Kyuhyun glared at the angel, still trying to get the magazine. “No, they’re not my women! I don’t have women! Give me the book!”

The angel held it away from Kyuhyun’s grasping hands, “But why would you collect so many women’s photos? Unless you wish to be with all these women… I still think that would be very exhausting.”

“I don’t wish to be with anyone! Now give me the book—” he stopped as soon as he finally grabbed the book, snatching it away from the angel, “Aha!” He threw it onto the smoking ashes, maybe it would catch fire. Kyuhyun hoped so.

The angel looked down at the book, saddened, “Why would you want to burn one of your possessions?”

“It wasn’t mine. Just… just be quiet, angel,” Kyuhyun finally said what he’d been wanting to since they left the temple.

“Ah, you don’t have to call me angel, my name is Yesung,” the angel smiled brightly, completely ignoring the hunter’s request.

“‘Yesung’?”

“Yes. Because I was one of the best voices amongst my brothers in heaven,” he said proudly, before asking, “What are your names? I doubt you’re only known as my protectors.”

“I’m Kyuhyun,” the hunter replied, brushing off the title that the angel called them, then pointed towards the brown haired hunter then the blonde, “That’s Donghae, and that’s Eunhyuk, the one you almost killed earlier.”

“Ah,” Yesung nodded, throwing an apologetic look towards the blonde hunter, “I am sorry, Eunhyuk, I know I must’ve scared you, but please forgive me for not knowing you were my protectors.”

Eunhyuk’s eyes shifted from the angel’s, Yesung’s, to Kyuhyun’s then back to Yesung’s, “I-It’s okay… I can understand how you’d be confused after you’d just woken up.”

“Yes,” Yesung agreed, “it was a rather rude awakening, but I’m still sorry for that situation.”

The blonde hunter nodded in response, he was trying to shake off the near-death experience and working on forgiving the angel for trying to kill him, but he wondered, would the angel forgive them when he found out that Kyuhyun was lying to him the whole time? And would they even live to see another day if the angel found out? He just hoped that once they left the angel in the hands of their employer that they’d never see the angel again, because he knew that they probably wouldn’t live long after their meeting.

Especially if what Donghae brought up before was true, and maybe the angel was in hiding from their employer? Or in hiding from someone else? They still didn’t know who the other four hunters were that were in the temple, attempting to steal the angel away either.

Eunhyuk voiced his question when he saw that Yesung’s attention had fallen upon the other items that littered the ground around the campsite. “Kyuhyun, who do you suppose those four men were that were in the temple?”

Kyuhyun glanced at the angel to see his attention was still on the random objects, and shrugged, then whispered, “Who knows, maybe they were trying to get him to sell him on the black market?”

“I was wondering if…” Donghae trailed off, lowering his voice, “our boss hired more people to find the angel aside from us.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “I doubt it, they shot with an aim to kill, they weren’t intending on simply capturing him. And our mission is to bring the angel back alive.”

“Must’ve just been rogue hunters then,” Donghae concluded, standing up from his spot, he looked towards the setting sun, and suggested, “Maybe we should go ahead and build up the fire and start on a quick meal.”

“I’ll get the sticks,” Eunhyuk volunteered.

“I’ll sit here and poke the ashes to try and get a small fire going while you do that,” Kyuhyun replied, as Donghae started rummaging through his bag for the food. “Who’s sleeping in which tent tonight?”

The angel’s ears perked up once he heard the question, “I have to sleep again?”

Kyuhyun shrugged, remembering that the angel had been asleep for the past ten years, “That’s up to you, you can stay up all night while we sleep if you want, just don’t go wondering off cause there’s dangerous things in the woods at night.” Then he asked, since the angel had already peeked into the tents to begin with, “How many pallets did you see in the tents?”

“There was one in each,” he replied, finding it odd that the man didn’t know how many beds were in their own tents, but he didn’t question it. “If I sleep tonight, will I share one with you?”

Yesung didn’t seem too bothered by the idea of sleeping with an unknown man, but Kyuhyun shook that off as the lie that he believed that they were his protectors, so it made sense that the angel wouldn’t be bothered.

Kyuhyun glanced over at Donghae to see the hunter smiling in spite at the situation, then he scowled at the small fire, “I guess you’ll have to.”

“Alright, thank you,” the angel bowed before taking a seat beside Kyuhyun again, watching as he poked at the fire.