7: Revealation

Strange Attraction

"I have no appetite." Eunhee complained as she poked her plate of chicken rice lifelessly. "Are you sick or something?" Aejin leaned forward and rested her right palm against Eunhee's forehead while holding her left palm to her own forehead.

 

"Nope. No fever at all. So what's troubling you?" Aejin furrowed her eyebrows in concern and withdrawed her hands back to her sides.

 

Eunhee and her best friend, Aejin were sitting at the school canteen during break time and people were avoiding them, as usual.

 

A few years ago, Eunhee's father had contracted AIDS and somehow, the news of his illness spread throughout the whole school. As a result, everyone has a misconception that Eunhee has AIDS and that the virus can be transmitted through casual actions like shaking hands, sharing glasses or even air exposure. Due to their wrong mindsets, they stayed away from Eunhee as far as possible, except for her best friend, who was fortunately the most sensible one.

 

The two of them were as close as two peas in a pod, even though they only knew each other for one year or so. Aejin befriended her despite the rumours, and Eunhee was very grateful to her because becoming friends with her also means that she will also get ostracized by the others.

 

But Aejin did not care a hoot about what others think about her. She enjoyed Eunhee's company and vice versa, that's all that matters to her.

 

"I scored a B for my A Maths exam! What am i going to do if i can't get the scholarship? How am i going to continue studying and pay for my father's costly therapy at the same time?" Eunhee hid her face behind her hands and she can literally feel a painful headache creeping up her head soon.

 

"Relax Jungie! We can do some hardcore studying at your house later and even everyday, if you want! You can also get help from the teachers! I don't believe you won't get an A* after all these!" Aejin pumped her first in the air encouragingly.

 

Eunhee's face brightened up right away. "Yes! I can do it! I am Jung Eunhee! I won't fall so easily! Fighting!" she was determined and began to gobble down her food like someone who hadn't eaten for days.

 

"Of course you are Eunhee! Woah slow down! No one is going to snatch your food away from you!" Aejin laughed in a motherly way and patted her back gently when Eunhee choked on a piece of chicken.

 

That's my best friend, Aejin thought.

 

 

 


 

 

School ended in a flash. Eunhee and Aejin strolled towards the school gate while chatting about nonsensical stuff.

 

"Jung Eunhee." someone called out as the both of them walked outside the gate and they turned their heads towards the direction of the owner of the voice.

 

A man wearing a black leather jacket with a simple white tee, accompanied with shades stood a few meters away from them. He was folding his hands in a cocky way with his legs wide apart and was standing right smack in the middle of the pathway.

 

"Remember me?" the man used his index finger to push down his shades slightly, revealing his eyes.

 

Just then, Eunhee remembered who he was! She had seen him at Starbucks a few weeks ago and he actually thought he was handsome!

 

Eww! But he turned out to be some stalker and now he even know where my school is! This guy must be up to no good! Eunhee thought in disgust.

 

"No." she replied, turning her back on him and began to walk.

 

Chen grabbed her wrist, making her turn around unwillingly.

 

"You better let go now, or else you are going to be sorry!" Eunhee eyed his hand enclosed around her wrist, on the verge of exploding soon.

 

"Oh yeah? What are you gonna do? Scream for help?" Chen said mockingly.

 

Aejin whipped her head away from the scene as she knew what is going to unfold within the next few seconds.

 

In a flash, Eunhee grabbed Chen's right arm and flung him over her shoulder effortlessly!

 

"Ouch! I forgot to inform you that i was a Taekwondo black belt!" Eunhee ridiculed, slapping the imaginary dust off her hands and walked off in victory, leaving a groaning Chen behind.