09 Important

Miracle

“You spoke up for me,” you glanced at Taemin as the two of you made your way over to the school’s courtyard.

The two of you walked around side-by-side and everything was quite peaceful. You couldn’t quite put your finger on it, but something felt off. Whether or not it was a good or bad feeling, you couldn’t exactly distinguish.

You took the seat on the bench and gestured Taemin to sit down next to you. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he chuckled softly as he sat down next to you. The scene was quite familiar to the two of you since you two used to sit with each other at the park and have these talks about the future when you were little. It was quite nostalgic. You’ve never thought that you would have a moment like this with him ever again.

“Of course I stood up for you,” a smile spread across his lips, “I would do anything for you. Like I said, you mean the world to me.”

 “The world, huh?” Your hands held onto the edge of the bench as you leaned back a little, your eyes glancing up at the sky, “The world’s a big place, isn’t it?”

Taemin grinned, “Well of course it is. I did say I would do anything for you. I wouldn’t say that to just anyone, you know?”

You found your eyes looking straight into his once more. Was he trying to imply something or were you just thinking too much once again? It had always been hard for you to read his expressions. Guess some things never change, right?

“Taemin,” you looked down, playing with your fingers a bit, “Can I ask you something?”

He gazed over at you as uncertainty clouded his eyes, “What is it?”

“Why were you so cold to me? Why didn’t you allow me to be near you? Why did you act like you hated me?” your voice became quieter and quieter with each question.

A part of you didn’t know if you wanted to hear the answer to it while another part of you did. The conflicting feeling caused much turmoil within your heart, but you couldn’t bear to just leave it alone. This answer, you felt like you wanted to hear it more than not.

Taemin became a bit quiet as he too, looked downwards, “You were really… important to me, so when you left, I thought I was abandoned. I thought you had given up on us and was actually quite hurt by it.”

“But you were so cold to me and you completely changed – “ you began to say, interrupting his explanation.

Taemin’s hands found their way upon your shoulders as he made you face him, “Hey. Look at me. I’ve never actually changed at all. I only created the appearance that I did. Kim Jisoo, pause and look at me. Do you feel it?”

Your hands fell upon his as you gaze back at him, “I don’t understand. Taemin, what are you saying? I don’t understand…”

Your voice began to trial off as you found yourself slowly hesitating to make another sound. You began to wrap your mind around the question he had asked. Feel what? What was he talking about?

Looking at him, you found his eyes never leaving yours. His gaze was so intense that it made you feel embarrassed. Was that what he wanted you to feel? No, it couldn’t be. His eyes were saying something else.

“Jisoo, do you know why I told you that I couldn’t make that promise?” he asked, his expression quite serious.

“Wasn’t that because you didn’t want me around?” you asked.

Glancing at him, you realized immediately that you were mistaken. That was not the reason for his words back then. There was something else.

“You’re really an idiot,” Taemin drew you into a hug, “Of course I told you that I couldn’t make that promise. I can read you like a book sometimes. I knew you were going to continue to protect me like that, but I would never forgive myself if anything happened to you!”

A wide smile began to appear on your lips as you hugged him back just as tightly. It was just like before. If there was one person in the world that could make your heart beat so fast, it was Lee Taemin. You’ve never known that he had cared about you so much.

This joy that you were experiencing right now, you weren't sure how to describe it. That was what made you change your mindset. You had decided that you wanted to let Taemin know how you felt. You didn't want to remain secretive anymore.

However, before you could even open your mouth to talk, the school bell rang. You decided that it would have to wait until after school. Taemin took your hand and the two of you headed back to class.

The school courtyard was somewhat isolated from the main school building, so the way back to class meant walking by and being able to overlook the main street. As the two of you walked by holding each other's hands, you saw something appear by a little girl as she ran by the school.

"She..." your eyes widened when you noticed it.

There was an angel by her side as well, guiding her as the girl ran for her ball that she had dropped. Rolling, rolling, you saw her headed for the street.

"An angel's job is only to guide."

Terror spread in your heart like a virus and you immediately let go of Taemin and ran. You wanted to save the little girl's life. People shouldn't die that early. That wasn't fair.

Even if it was just a little more time that you may end up giving her, you wanted to help another life.

"JISOO!" you heard Taemin call from behind you, but you didn't hesitate.

Wait for me, Taemin. I'll be right back. Someone else needs me right now.