05 Negativity

Miracle

You flinched, “There’s no need to yell…”

After you had passed out after getting hit with a baseball and some glass shards, Taemin had immediately called an ambulance, sending you to the hospital. Luckily, you didn’t lose too much blood and regained consciousness after a couple of hours.

When you woke up, you found an extremely worried Taemin pacing back and forth at the foot of your bed. He didn’t exactly seem grateful for what you did. Actually, he seemed quite pissed off and the expression on his face seemed quite stiff. You wanted to go back and pretend that you were asleep because you were a bit afraid to face him. However, he had saw you wake up, so it was too late to do such a thing.

His expression changed from one of worry to one of relief. Then, as quickly as the first change was, his expression became filled with anger.

“What the hell were you thinking?” Taemin raised his voice, “You could’ve died! You are such an idiot Jisoo!”

“I don’t understand why you’re mad,” you replied, frowning, “I saved your life. Shouldn’t you be happy that you’re alive?”

Taemin scoffed as he came up towards you, “Of course I’m mad! Just to protect me, you actually did something so stupid and careless! Don’t you care about your life at all?”

You didn’t answer him immediately. All you could think of was seeing Leo standing by Taemin’s side as his words echoed in your mind: “It’s useless, you know?”

“That’s enough,” you said quietly, without meeting his eyes, “I have my reasons. Besides, I won’t die soon. You don’t have to worry about that.”

“You don’t know that!” Taemin countered, his breaths getting heavy as he used his energy to lecture you so harshly, “Jisoo, what is wrong with you? You’ve been acting weird lately.”

Glancing over at Taemin, you realized that this was the first time in awhile that he actually acknowledged your existence. You could see the worried Taemin as a shadow of the old Taemin that you knew. Did that mean he never really disappeared?

Before you continued down that lane of thought, you remembered that the Lee Taemin in front of you was no longer the one from your childhood memories. This Lee Taemin didn’t care about you anymore. He just doesn’t want to carry the burden that someone got hurt because of him. Yes, that was what it was.

“Why do you care?” you mumbled, “It’s not as if we know each other anymore.”

“KIM JISOO!” Taemin’s eyes narrowed at you, annoyance flaring up within him, “That’s enough!”

You gripped your bed covers as you looked back at him, your voice rising also, “No, that’s not enough Taemin! You don’t understand the situation at all! I don’t even know you anymore! I’m completely stuck in the past while I see you moving on without a care. Now, I – “

You stopped yourself as you found yourself shaking with anger with an attempt to hold back your tears. You couldn’t bring yourself to continue on with the sentence. It’s not as if you could tell him that you were about to watch him die and not being able to do anything about it. You couldn’t explain that feeling of helplessness. It was too difficult for you – impossible.

“…Stuck in the past?” Taemin’s voice softened a bit, “What are you talking about?”

“It’s nothing,” you replied immediately.

It didn’t matter if you told him what you meant since it wouldn’t change anything. You were sure of it. Taemin was as stubborn as you were and you knew that you wouldn’t be able to change his beliefs and thoughts.

He narrowed his eyes at you, “Kim Jisoo, why are you always keeping secrets from me?”

“…I’ve only ever kept one from you,” you replied softly, “Just one and it’s one that you don’t need to know of.”

“I want to know,” he stated, “I have the right to know and I bet it would explain why you chose to save me from being hurt today.”

You didn’t say anything and just looked back at him. The two of you looked at each other with serious gazes that showed no weakness. There was no way that either of you wanted to back down. However, you didn’t see the harm in him knowing. Maybe, if you told him, he’ll listen to your words more. It was worth a try, wasn’t it?

“Promise me that if I tell you, you won’t go anywhere without me beside you,” you told him firmly, “Don’t ask me why right now. I can’t say.”

You couldn’t tell him even if you wanted to. All he would think was that you were crazy and everything was just your imagination. That wouldn’t benefit your situation at all.

Taemin raised an eyebrow, “What kind of promise is that? I won’t promise you that.”

You knew he would say something like that. Sighing, you leaned back in the hospital bed as you raised an arm, pointing to the door.

“I see. Well in that case, then leave. There's no reason for you to be here.”

"KIM JISOO!" he shouted once more, "Are you out of your mind?"

Maybe he was right. Maybe you were out of your mind. Was it so bad that you didn't want to see the one you love die right in front of your eyes?

Glancing over at him, you pointed to the door, "I need a moment alone. Just go."

"Jisoo "

"Go."

You couldn’t face him right now. Since you didn’t see Leo with him at the moment, you figured that he would be safe alone for now. From now on, you had to protect him your own way. Your words echoed in your mind again.

“I’m not afraid of anything that’ll keep Taemin safe.”