Discoveries

Gray Coloured Life

Their weekend was quite peaceful, considering that they just stayed home and relaxed, minus the arguments that they had almost every second or about Chaerin’s new discoveries about the latest gadgets and devices in Jiyong’s home.

The Laptop

Chaerin was dazely walking around the house trying to find something to entertain her. She decided that the TV can be boring in times when you don’t stop watching it after long hours and nothing seems to catch her attention after surfing the channels for the 5th time.

So going back to Jiyong’s room, she lets herself fall into the bed and sigh for she was bored. Looking around, nothing seems fun for her to play with. Then, her eyes set on a weird metal book sitting on the bedside table. It looks weird with a lot of small squares with letters written on them and in one side it looks like a TV but smaller. Being a curious cat that she is, Chaerin carefully press one of the buttons and the screen came back alive. Then she saw words, thousands of them on the screen.

Living in her cat form for almost 10 years didn’t help her to understand most of the writings. She only learned some when she was with her previous owners who were an old couple managing a farm. They didn’t have these kinds of gadgets in their house, considering that they were old and live in the country side. Again, pressing some of the keys, she notices that when she presses a key, the letter on it will appear on the TV (screen). Fascinated, she presses more keys and more letters appear.

 

 

Jiyong was reading a magazine on the couch when he notices that his annoying pet wasn’t yelling around or making rude comments to about him taking care of her. The last time he saw her was when she went inside the bedroom minutes ago. Curious on what she was up to this time, he got up from his position and walk towards his bedroom.

What he saw was Chaerin sitting on the bed playing with his laptop. Does she even know how to use that? He said to himself.

“What are you doing now?”

Chaerin took her eyes from the laptop and grin at him. He notices that her eyes make cute little crescents when she smiles.

“Jiyong look,” She gestures the laptop to him. “I know how to work your mini-TV. How come this one can do more that the big one?”

Yet again, he has to explain these things to her, sitting down on the bed in front of her. “It’s not a mini-TV, kitty. It’s called a laptop. You use a laptop for typing and looking up stuffs.”

“Typing? I’m not typing, I’m writing.”

“You say ‘typing’ when you write things in the laptop. How come you don’t know these stuff Didn’t someone or your previous owners have these before?”

“They don’t, they live in a farm in the countryside and they’re old so they don’t need these things anymore.” She said focusing her attention to the laptop in front of her, looking for keys to press. “Oh look I wrote-typed my name!” She handed the laptop to Jiyong and there it was, her name written.

Chaerin

Jiyong scuffs before typing something and handing it back to her.

Her brows furrow trying to read the word under her name. “Ji-Jiyong. It’s your name!”

Again, she typed something and handed the laptop to him.

‘Buy me cake’

‘Get it yourself’

‘You are a terrible owner’

‘You are a demanding pet’

‘Your hair is weird’

‘Your ears are ridiculous’

‘Your face is ugly’

‘Speak for yourself’

‘I am not grandma said i am cute’

‘Grandma? Your previous owner?’

‘Yes’

‘She needs to get her eyes check, cause she’s looking at one ugly cat’

‘Chaerin hates jiyong’

‘I know kitty, I know’

With that Chaerin looks up to see Jiyong looking at her with a smirk on his face. She puffs her cheeks and buries her face on the pillow and scream. Hearing her muffled screams, Jiyong can’t help but to let out a silent chuckle. It was fun watching her get frustrated about how he doesn’t seem to get what she wants. Maybe having her isn’t as bad as it looks. He likes seeing her frustrated, which oddly entertains him.

 

 

Monday comes and Jiyong have to go back to work, leaving Chaerin inside the house.

“Jiyong, where are you going?” Ask a sleepy Chaerin. Jiyong woke her up early in the morning to have breakfast and reminding her on what she mustn’t do while he’s  away.

“I’m going to work.” he replies while drinking his coffee.

“Can I come?”

“Why would you want to come? And no you can’t.”

“Why? I don’t want to be confined here all day.”

“You’ll just get in the way if you’re there.”

“But I can help. Grandma and Grandpa always let me go to work with them. They said I’m a great help.”

“Because they work on a farm that needs a lot help. I, on the other hand needs a lot concentration which will fly out the window if you’re there with your weird shenanigans.”

She puffs out a mouthful of air and slump on her chair. “You’re leaving me here with nothing to do.”

Having her for only two days, Jiyong notice that Chaerin isn’t like most cats that just laze around and sleep. She likes getting busy and not boring herself. She also asks a lot of questions and play with anything that gets her attention.

“You can watch TV. Besides, you can’t go out knowing that you’re not familiar with the neighborhood.”

“No, I don’t want to watch TV anymore, it’s so boring.”

“Too bad, that’s the only thing you can do here, except to sleep.”

“You’re a boring person, Jiyong.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” He stands up and get ready to start the day. “Remember do not open the door to people that you don’t know. Don’t answer the phone, just leave it and I’ll be back later.”

“It will take you ages to come back. Don’t blame me if I die out of boredom.”

“If that happens I guess I’m lucky then, I don’t have to take care of you anymore.” He said scratching behind her ears for a moment before heading out for the door.

“If it does happen remember that I will haunt you for the rest of your life!” She yelled at him from the kitchen.

“Yes, kitty. I know you will.” And the door closes.

“What a jerk.” Chaerin mumbles to herself finishing her meal.

 

 

 

Settling himself in his office, Jiyong was about to do his work when his office door burst revealing Seungri, the maknae.

“Hey hyung! How’s it going?”

“What are you doing here early in the morning? I you’re here just to disturb me, then go away.”

“How can you say that hyung? I’m just here to visit my favorite hyung.” Jiyong replies looking over some designs that he have to finish.

“Since when did I become your favorite? And what are you doing here, seriously.”

Seungri scratch his nape before speaking. “Well, Dara noona said something about you having a girl over.” Jiyong’s hand stops and looks over to the maknae.

“What?” That mountain rabbit and her big mouth.

“She said that you’re having a girl over at your place and she said she’s cute! Hyung I wanna meet her!”

“Get out.” He rolls his eyes before going back to his work.

“Aww hyung come on~” Seungri whined before plopping himself on the sofa inside Jiyong’s office.

“Do you want me to tell Minji about this?”

“I-It’s not like that hyung! I’m just being friendly and Dara noona said that she’s from the countryside and I think Minji will like her. And seriously hyung, why is she staying with you?”

“She’s… my new maid”

“She’s your maid? You don’t need one, hell you don’t trust anyone with cleaning your place.”

“She’s my maid I’m telling you.”

“Whatever you say, we’ll just see for ourselves.”

“What do you mean ‘we’?”

“Well Dara noona told her about us yesterday and everyone is curious who’s the mysterious woman living with you, soooo we decided to crash to your place tonight, the gang will be there.”

“No, you guys can’t come to my place.”

“Why?”

“Because you will destroy my place.”

“Isn’t that what your maid is for? Cleaning your house for you.”

“It is, but I still don’t want any of you to come, specially you.”

“That hurts hyung~” Seungri put his hand over his heart. “Well, I’m sorry hyung, we won’t take no as an answer. We were supposed to surprise you by just barging in but being the nice guy that I am, decided to give you a heads up. Anyways see you later hyung!” And with that Seungri was out leaving Jiyong another headache.

This is what he fears, with his freaky-fun friends and Chaerin’s naïve self, he can’t help but get the feeling that something out of the world weird is about to happen.

Please someone, save me from this torture that’s about to come.