Mayhem in the Office

Gray Coloured Life

In today's event in the life of our favorite cat had been very interesting. Unlike the usual routine of staying at home and drowning herself with TV shows, Chaerin had the chance to venture into the outside world of her master’s empire also known as Jiyong’s office.

It occurred during one normal morning. Dragging herself around the house was normal for Chaerin, she was so sick of the house that she will do anything to go outside, like the excursion she had with Gaho. As mentioned, it was a normal day when Dara came bursting through the door demanding to see Jiyong. Chaerin watched her run around the apartment calling for her cousin who already left for work.

“Chae where’s Jiyong?” Dara asked in a rush.

Lying lazily on the couch Chaerin replied, “At work. What’s the rush unnie?”

“Ahhh! Oh my god! This can’t be happening.” Dara muttered to herself then turned to her. “Chae-ah I need you to get this to Jiyong. It’s very important that he gets immediately. I would give this to her personally but I don’t have time and I need to go to a very important meeting today in about 30 minutes.” The she passed a bag to Chaerin who was looking at it curiously. 

“What is it?”

“It’s something that he needed for his next project and he needs it, NOW. So Chae can you please, please, please make sure that he gets it today. You know what? I’ll call a cab for you then you can go to his office and give this to him. He needs this today. Now go change I’ll call for a cab.” Dara said all in one breath and pushed her to the bedroom before pulling out her phone.

Chaerin didn’t have the chance to protest before Dara literally pushed her inside the bedroom to change. ‘It probably wouldn’t be so bad to get this to Jiyong.’ She tought to herself. Even though it’s been a while since she was outside, she didn’t want to see her master’s face or be near him during this time of day. Is it not enough that she sees and live with him every day? But Dara unnie begged her so she didn’t have a choice but to do it. Another thought came to her, since all she had to do was give this to Jiyong, he would probably tell her go home after which means she can sneak outside after giving the package, not that Jiyong will notice, he will probably be busy with his work to care. She can have the freedom to walk around town! ‘This situation isn’t looking that bad now.’ She thought.

She was dressed with a simple grey hoodie with a pair of jean capris and a simple pair of sneakers. She wore a vintage patterned bandana and used it as a hair piece to cover her ears. To be honest she didn’t want to cover her ears since no one but Jiyong can she them and it feels uncomfortable too. But her jerk of a master told her to cover them since she’ll never know if someone sees them accidentally and freak out on her and Jiyong feels uncomfortable having her ears exposed in public. ‘It’s not like he’s the one who has ears on top of his head.’ Chaerin thought sarcastically.  

After she got ready Dara rushed her out of the apartment down to the front of the building where a a cab was waiting.

“Remember Chae-ah you have to give this to Jiyong personally, if someone offers to give it to him for you say no. I’m just saying this to make sure that he gets it on time. I think that he needs it in about an hour so you have time, but you need to hurry. Now you don’t have to worry about the cab I already paid for it and I also gave the address of Jiyong’s company. Now get in.” Dara said and once Chaerin was inside the cab she added, “Thanks for doing this for me wifey. Now I need go to a meeting. Bye and have a safe trip.” She waved as the cab drives away.

Now that she was alone on the cab, aide for the driver, Chaerin was looking at the package on her hands, curious as to what is it. Not getting any ideas as to what it was, she gave up and looked outside the cab, watching the passing scenery. The cab dropped her off in front of a building. She looked at it, realizing that she was in the middle of the downtown area, she also looked around seeing tons of people waking into all kinds of directions for the destinations. Chaerin walked inside the building, looking around the interior which she was unfamiliar to.

Once she got at the front desk a lady asked, “Hi miss, how may I help you?”

“Uh I need to see Jiyong.”

“You mean the president?”

“Y-Yeah.” She said in a small voice, unsure as to who the president was.

“Do you have an appointment?”

“Appointment? What’s that?” She was getting lost in the conversation, she didn’t know what the lady was talking about.

“I’m sorry but the president forbids anyone who doesn’t have an appointment to see him. He is very busy at the moment.”

“But I have something to give to him.”

“I can pass it to him for you.”

“N-no, I have to give it to him. I mean, personally.”

“Then I’m afraid that you have to get an appointment for another day, miss.”

“Can’t you tell him that I’m here, he’ll know me if you tell him. My name is Chaerin and that his cousin sent me here.”

The front desk lady was looking at her unsurely but Chaerin begged her and she complied. She used the telephone to check. Once she told Chaerin that she was free to go and see the president.

“You can go and see the president now. Just go to the 12th floor and he’ll meet you there. Have a good day miss.”

“Thank you.” Once she was inside the elevator she pressed the designated floor that she was supposed to go to. She noticed that the people around her was wearing weird clothes, like Jiyong. People were wearing clothes like those she sees in the movies, very high-end clothing. Everyone was decked with accessories, even the men which she finds weird, just like Jiyong. Also they all you like those people that she sees in the magazines at home. Once that elevator stopped at her floor, she go out immediately and stopped at her track outside the elevator. People were everywhere, they were rushing in every direction, holding their phones or talking with each other discussing stuff, mostly about their work, Chaerin guessed.

She approached a woman and asked, “E-excuse me, where can I find Jiyong?”

It would seem that everyone around her stopped what they were doing and looked at her, she felt conscious and hugged the package to her chest.

“Excuse me, who are you?” The woman asked.

“Uhh, Ch-Chaerin.”

“What do you want with the president?”

“I need to give something to him.” The woman was looking at her up and down, so as everyone else and then they whispered among themselves.

“I’m sorry but the president is busy at the moment.”

“But the lady downstairs said I can meet him.”

“You’re misinformed, the president is unavailable at the moment. So you can give me what you came here to deliver to him and I’ll make sure that he gets it, fair enough?” The woman said, leaving no place for arguments.

Chaerin was starting to feel uncomfortable, since the woman clearly wanted her to get out of there as soon as possible. ‘But Dara unnie told me to give it to him personally.’ She thought to herself.

“I need t-to give it to him personally.”

“You can’t so why not just give it to me and I’ll give it to him later.”

“N-no I have to-“

“What is going on here?” Chaerin a familiar voice and turned to the direction it came from.

“President Kwon! I’m just telling this lady here that you’re really busy and she keeps insisting that she needs to see you.” The woman said sweetly.

“That’s not needed.” Jiyong gave a cold glare to the people who were watching the scene, probably gossiping and they all shuffled to their work when they saw the look of their president. Then he turned to Chaerin and motioned her to follow him.

Once they were inside his office, Jiyong turned to look at his pet standing there looking around.

“How did you get here?” he asked sitting behind his desk while Chaerin sat on the one the chair in front of him.

“Dara unnie told me to go here.”

“Why? I’m really busy right now so what do you want?” He said busying himself with signing papers.

Chaerin frowned and threw the package on the table in front of her, it landed on the paper that Jiyong was signing.

“Dara told me to give this to you. Now I’m going home.” She said getting angry for she came all the way here and he gave her that kind of attitude. She didn’t wait for Jiyong to say something before walking outside the office and walked through the sea of people who again were watching her make a beeline to the front of the elevator.

“I’m busy right now.” She muttered in a sassy voice to herself, imitating Jiyong’s early statement. “So what if you are? I hope you there’s no toilet paper when you go there to do your business and die.” She muttered more to herself. Then she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to face 3 women, all decked with stylish clothes and accessories and wearing sky-rocket heels.

“Hi, Sorry but I just want to know how you knew the president.” A lady wearing a cream colored dress asked.

“Jiyong?” Chaerin said confused.

“Yesss, president Kwon.”

“His cousin told me to give something from her.”

“So you’re not his girlfriend?” The woman decked in a black suit asked.

Chaerin furrow her brows. “No, I’m not.”

“See I told you, she can’t be his girlfriend. Look how unfashionable she is. She’s not even wearing makeup.” Black suit said to the other two, which they laughed at.

“And here I am worrying that our president was taken.” The lady wearing a short white dress said.

“Look how she dress, hoodie and sneakers, talk about not having a sense of fashion. President Kwon would never like her.” Cream dress said looking at Chaerin’s outfit.

“Also, look at her hair, it so dry and not even styled.” White dress said next.

Chaerin was speechless at the moment. ‘Are they criticizing me?’ She thought to herself. She watched them talked and laugh about her. She turned to stare at the elevator door, ignoring the 3 es behind her. ‘What’s taking the elevator so long?!’ It’s not like she can’t defend herself but she didn’t want to make a scene here of all places. This is Jiyong’s company and as her master, she must not tarnish his image no matter what, even though she hated his guts. As his pet, it was kind of her duty to not do anything that will reflect badly on her master.

‘Where’s that damn elevator?!’

The women behind her kept on laughing and gossiping among themselves. People around them didn’t try to stop them from their ing, instead gossiped among themselves too. One of the things that they said struck to her the most.

“She probably lived in the mountains and had no education.” Black suit said to her fellow es.

That comment snapped her patience. She turned to them ready to blow up.

“You know-“ Just when she was about to rant out, Jiyong came and called her.


Right after Chaerin walked out the office, Jiyong checked the package that was in front of him. He opened it and found the necessary designs that he forgot at Dara’s office the other day. Good thing that Chaerin delivered them today for he needed the designs today later for an important meeting for the new set or the upcoming season. He checked if all the designs where inside and when he did he left his office and looked for his pet. He saw her waiting for the elevator with 3 of his employees who seemed like they were enjoyed themselves with something they were talking about. Then he saw how Chaerin turned to the other 3 and was about to say something when he called her.

“Chaerin go back-“ Chaerin turned to him and he was surprised on how she looked so angry, angrier than when he ate the pudding that she was saving to eat last time.

“Shut up Jiyong, can’t you see I’m talking to them?” He couldn’t help but shut his mouth after she literally growled at him. And everyone around them became silent, surprised that a girl like her just told their famous cold hearted president to shut up.

She then turned to the 3 women in front of her and said, “You know what? You’re right about me growing up in the mountains and having no sense of fashion. But so what? I don’t care that you have higher education that that you dress yourselves like s and yeah, I know the word ‘’ though we didn’t have them in the mountains. I hope that you dye your hair so many times that they will wither and fall out of your head. Also, I hope that when you’re walking on you ridiculous shoes that you trip and bash you head open on the side walk. I don’t care if you think I’m fat cause you guys looked like walking match sticks to me.” Chaerin ended her rant.

The 3 women were speechless and Jiyong was sure that they stopped breathing. He saw the people around them and they also stopped moving, shocked about what his pet had said.

“Now Jiyong, what do you want?” Chaerin asked him. He didn’t notice that she was talking to him now.

“Go back inside.” He said distractingly and motioned to his office and he watched his pet walk and then stopped to turn around to the 3 women.

“Jiyong, the white dress was wondering if your single or not.” White dress gasped and looked panicked, embarrassed that Jiyong now knew about her crush for him. “Oh and I don’t care of you think that my face is ugly because you know what? You’re right again. I don’t use makeup. At least my face is natural, unlike yours, how many times did you get it redone?” Then she gave them the dirty finger which also surprised Jiyong, he never knew that Chaerin knew this stuff, he thought she was an innocent girl.

“Yeah, the girl from the mountains knows how to say ‘ you es’.” She then walked back to Jiyong’s office, leaving everyone stunned.


Once Jiyong was back inside his office, he noticed that Chaerin was nowhere to be found.

“Chaerin? Where are you?”

“I’m here.” He heard a voice faintly coming from beneath his desk. He walk over and knelt down to see his pet curled on a ball.

“What now?” Chaerin asked without lifting her head to look at him.

“What was that back there?”

“They were being mean and I hate the sound of their laugh, it’s so irritating.”

“Where did you learn how to cuss like that?”

“The TV.”

“And the stuff that you just said? Did you meant it?”

“Yeah, well a bit. I don’t what they were talking about, what’s a ‘diorsay’ shoe-something anyway?”

“D’Orsay Shoe.” Jiyong corrected her.

“Whatever!”

“Then I remembered the scene when Celine warded off the people who were saying mean stuff about her, then she made this dramatic speech and stuff and you should have seen the manager’s face when she started saying bad words! I really like that episode.” Chaerin said giggling, remembering her favorite show.

“Celine? Who’s that?”

“You don’t know Celine?! She’s the main character in ‘The Revenge Comes Swift, It Always Comes’. Shame on you Jiyong!”

“The Revenge Comes Swift, It Always Comes? What kind of title is that? It’s too long.”

“Shut up! It’s the best show ever, all the pain, the drama!”

Jiyong gave her a blank look seeing how she got hype talking about her favorite show. “Then, was your ‘speech’ also came from that ridiculous long titled show?”

“Well, most of it, then I put some from ‘The Today’s Kitchen Drama’ and ‘Jun-Kaeng’s Extravagant Office Life’.”

“What kind of lousy shows have you been watching? I’ve never heard of them and they all have weird titles.”

“It’s your fault that I’m hook with them.”

“And how is that?”

“Because you won’t let out of the house, so all I can do is watch TV.” She pouted. “Anyways, I’m going home, so get out of the way.” Chaerin started to crawl rom under the table and stood up, followed by Jiyong.

He stopped her from leaving by grabbing her wrist. “You’re not leaving, don’t think that I don’t know that you’re planning to do.” Chaerin looked at him confusingly. “You’re not going home, you’re planning to roam around town on your own.”

“Whaaaattt? Pfft, I wo-wouldn’t do that.” She said in a high-pitched voice, trying to look away from her master.

“You’re staying here and that’s final. Or do you want me to tie you up on a chair?”

“No! Fine, I’m staying. I hope all of your hair falls out.”

“Good, now stay here and don’t go outside. I have an important meeting to go to.” Jiyong said before leaving his pet inside his office.

Chaerin slumped herself on Jiyong’s rotating chair and frowned. There was nothing to do there. She looked around and saw nothing that interests her. Then she opened the cabinets on Jiyong’s table and rummaged through them to see anything that she can do. She saw a sketchbook and a set of color pencils.

“Hmmm, Jiyong wouldn’t mind if I use these, right?” 


When the meeting finally finished, Jiyong directly went to this office to check to see if Chaerin was still there. Surprise, surprise she wasn’t inside the room. Jiyong pinched the bridge of his nose out of irritation. How stupid of him to believe that she will stay on one place, her curiosity must have gotten at her and she decided to leave and explore the place. He can’t let that happen, here is the possibility that she will cause problems for his employees and that can’t happen, especially that they were all busy in organizing the new clothing set for the new season.

Then he saw that his sketchbook was out on his desk. He looked at it and noticed that it had doodles all over. His eye twitch in irritation, this sketchbook is where he put all of his ideas regarding new designs and his pet had decided to use it as a doodle pad of some sort. Each as he flipped through the pages, he saw comments on the corners of the page in messy childish writing, Chaerin had lousy penmanship. Her comments consist of; ‘the colour is really bright‘, ‘it looks like a jellyfish’, the ribbon doesn’t look good, make it seem like a lamp post’ and some of the designs she dubbed with her own title like, ‘puddle fur’, ‘Jiyong’s hair’ and ‘yellow violin’. Then as he flipped the pages again, the next ones were pictures of people, scenery, animals and hybrids of animals. The drawings were not of a professional but more of a work of a kid. Jiyong had forgotten his anger and examined Chaerin’s drawings. The ones that he was most interests were the animal hybrids, ‘pig-rabbit’. ‘lion-bear’ and ‘duck-snake’. Then there were childish drawings of people. He recognized some of them like Dara, Minzy, Bom and herself with ears on top of her head and a tail. The drawing of him was made poorly with horns on his head and fire coming from his mouth and caption saying, ‘I’m a dragon!’

He closed the sketchbook and decided that it was not the time to admire the drawings of his pet when may have wreaking havoc around the office. He stepped out of his office and started his search around the company. He found her idly walking around the studio where a photoshoot was being held. She was standing at the side watching with awe on what was happening and talking to an assistant beside her. How did she found this place was a mystery to him. When he was about to go to Chaerin an employee blocked his way and asked him about his thoughts on the photoshoot and additions that they can put to make sure that it will turn out perfect for the upcoming new season. Once he was finished talking he lost sight of his pet and she was nowhere to be found, guess he had to go look for her again. The next room that he found her in was the design room, where they keep all the prototype clothes that they have. He saw her looking through the clothes and examining the roll of cloths and sewing materials clattered on the tables.

“What are you up to now?” He asked, closing the door.

Chaerin was surprised and almost pricked her finger on the pin she was looking at. Her eyes were open wide and she was frozen.

“I… I’m just… looking around?”

“I told you to stay inside my office.”

“It’s so boring there, there’s nothing to do.”

“And I the result of being bored is messing up my work? You just made my sketchbook into a doodling pad with all of your childish drawing.”

“They’re not childish!”

“They were.” Chaerin glared at him.

“Hey Jiyong can you do something for me?” She asked

“Why would I?” Jiyong said and stood next to her.

She gave him an exasperated look and took out a folded paper from her pocket. “I want you to make this for me!” Chaerin said enthusiastically.

He unfolded the paper and saw a drawing of a carrot with a smiley face and small stick hands and feet. Jiyong looked at her grinning face.

“This?” She nodded excitingly. “What am I supposed to with this?”

“Make it for me! You know one of those things that are squishy….. umm like a teddy bear but a carrot!”

“You want me to make a plushie”

“Yeah? Is that what it’s called?”

Jyong let out a sigh. “You’re kidding, I make clothes, not stuff toys.”

“But it’s the same thing right? You sew stuff.”

“It’s not the same. I make clothes, clothes, woman.”

“Uhhh, if you want you make another one? I know! I’ll draw you a broccoli or a turnip!”

“I don’t want a plushie!”

“Well, if you don’t want to do it, then teach me how to.”

“Absolutely not, you’ll probably stab yourself or someone nearby to death with just a needle. You’re a clumsy one.”

“Am not!”

“And of all the designs that you can come up with, a carrot? Seriously?”

“What? I think it’s cute and I used to have one before, grandma made it for me.”

“No, I’m not going to make it.” Hel, she’s asking him to make her a plushie. He’s a popular designer, for clothes and clearly she doesn’t realize that.

“Come on Jiyong! Please! Just teach me at least.”

“Nope, so go and get out of here before you damage something.” Jiyong said and dragged her out.


Chaerin sulked afterwards during lunch. Jiyong had ordered something for them and they both stayed inside his office the whole day. He didn’t want Chaerin to be seen, though everyone in the company that he was hiding a woman inside his office. Later that day, another struggle came towards Jiyong’s way, the most destructive force of them all, Seungri.

He came barging inside the office and announced his entrance with much gusto.

“Seungri has finally come!” He said enthusiastically.

Jiyong sighed and literally faced-palmed. “What are you doing here?”

“What? I just came back from a business trip and this is how you welcome me back hyung? And oh… Chaerin you’re here too.” He said in an amused tone which was not unnoticed by Jiyong.

Chaerin, who was eating black bean noodles rolled her eyes when she saw Seungri. For some reason, the guys just irritates her every without doing anything.

“Jiyong, there’s a bug that just came inside, kill it.”

“That’s harsh.” Seungri said, feigning hurt.

“Harsh, but true.” Jiyong said next.

“Anywayyyss, what’s up?” He asked, settling himself on one of the chairs in front of Jiyong’s desk while Chaerin was on the sofa.

“Nothing much. Are you supposed to be working on the new line for next season?” Jiyong asked.

“I just got back and you want me to dive in work already? Give me some time to get my bearings back.”

“Whatever.”


After lunch, Chaerin was once again left inside Jiyong’s office with a strict order to stay and behave herself, which she obeyed for once. While she was sulking inside his office, doodling again on his sketchbook without his permission, Jiyong was busy with finishing up the new clothing line that their company will release for the next season. Then he remembered the carrot cartoon drawing that Chaerin gave to him he took it out of pocket and looked at it again.

“Seriously, why a carrot?” He muttered to himself.


When they got home, Chaerin made a beeline to the bedroom and flung herself on the bed. She was so tired, even without doing anything the whole day. She secretly took home Jiyong’s sketchbook and doodled all over it, it was her revenge for making her a prisoner yet again inside his office. She was looking through her drawings when Jiyong came inside the room.

“What are you doing with my sketchbook?” Jiyong asked, sounding pissed and snatched the said sketchbook from, her. He flipped thought he pages. “You’ve drew on it, again.”

“I had nothing to do earlier.”

“You drew vegetables?” He asked looking at the drawings.

“Yeah, I didn’t know what to draw.”

“You could’ve draw tons of different stuff, but the pages are full of… vegetables.”

“Well, I don’t see you drew anything other than clothes!”

“I’m a designer, it’s my job to make clothes and in order to make them first I need to lay them out and for that to happen drawing the said clothes must come first.”

“Hmph. Well, I challenge you to draw something interesting, other than clothes… a donkey-dragon!” (reference to Donkey’s children from Shrek)

“A donkey-dragon?”

“Yeah! I challenge you to draw a donkey-dragon!”

“That’s easy, I believe that you’re underestimating my skills.”

“We’ll see, young padawan.” Chaerin replied sounding like a sage.

“Padawan? Have you been watching Star Wars?” Jiyong asked before starting to draw on the sketchbook.

“Yeah, that movie is awesome! The whole series were shown in the TV last week.”

When Jiyong was done with his drawing, Chaerin had to admit it looked good. “Okay it looks… okay”

“That’s it? That’s all you got to say, ‘okay’?”

“You could’ve turn his tail into a dragon’s or like give him horns and draw him breathing fire or give him dragon legs. All you did was give a donkey a pair of dragon wings. Where’s your imagination?”

“If you think you’re so good with drawing animal hybrids, then please be my guest and show me your greatness, master Yoda.” Jiyong said sarcastically and Chaerin snatched the sketchbook from his hands and started to draw.

Once she was finished, Jiyong looked at it and wasn’t sure what she had drew.

“Uh, what am I looking at?”

“It’s a cat-mongoose.”

“Really now? It looks like a rat to me.”

“What? Can’t you see the ears? Look there’s the mongoose tail and the hands and nose.”

“It looks like a retarted rat.” He wasn’t sure what to make out of her drawing, it looks like a work of an elementary student, really crappy if you ask him.

“It’s not, you can’t appreciate art.”

“I can’t appreciate art? You don’t know art.”

Then as usual they started to fight. This had been a habit between the two of them. Fighting over simple matters. Jiyong who didn’t want to get into another fight with his pet threw an orage thing on her face, which surprised Chaerin. After she glared at Jiyong’s head and look down on what hit her, she let out a sound of glee. It was the carrot plushie that she told him to make for her. She examined it closely and saw that it was really well-made.

“Thanks Jiyong!” She looked at her master with full of gratitude and happiness and Jiyong couldn’t stop himself from giving her a small smile of his own. Her happiness was contagious.

‘I guess making a carrot plushie for her wasn’t all tat bad.’

 

 

Another update! This must be the longest chapter that I've ever done for this story and I hope you guys enjoy it.

I had fun wrting this chapter.

As usual, I apologize for the grammatical errors.

Also, to all of those who subscribed and commented on my story, thanks a bunch! All of your commnets that been very positive and kept me motivated to continue writing and I will, as long as I don't get writer's block.