19 months Part 3

Sunday Morning Kisses: Growing Up

I finally finish this monster chapter! This part is 3.5k+. I apologize for any spelling errors as I haven't proofread yet. Also, small mistake, but I've stated Kyungsoo's age as 6, but he's actually been 5 up to this point. I've changed all previous references to his age.

Enjoy!


 

Yixing can’t do more than blink at Chanyeol when he opens the front door. Kyungsoo is slung over Chanyeol’s shoulder, kicking his feet and giggling as Chanyeol pretends to drop him. “So… can I ask what Kyungsoo is wearing?”

 

“I’m Batman!” Kyungsoo exclaims as he adjusts his mask over his face as soon as Chanyeol sets him down. He’s dressed in a full Batman costume, complete with a cape and facemask with bat ears.

 

“He’s going through a phase,” Chanyeol explains. “He’s been wearing this costume for 3 days now; he even sleeps in it.”

 

“Oh! Well, um, Batman, the kids are watching a move in the living room.”

 

“Jongin’s picking him up today,” Chanyeol informs him. “Can I get a hug? He asks his son. Kyungsoo frowns and crosses his arms. “Sorry, sorry, I forgot that Batman doesn’t give hugs. Can I get a high five then?” He holds his hand up, and even though Kyungsoo is much too short to reach his hand, the five-year-old attempts to jump high enough reach. After a few seconds of watching him struggle, Chanyeol kneels down to give him a high five and gives him a hug before he can protest. “See you, Yixing ge! And Kyung- Batman!”

 

Kyungsoo grins and waves goodbye. After Chanyeol’s out of sight he runs over into the apartment and pulls out the bin where he knows crayons and craft supplies are kept. He takes out a blank sheet of paper and lies on his stomach on the floor to start drawing.

 

Zitao is sitting on the couch between Luhan and Sehun, holding both of their hands while he watches the animated movie but lets go when he spots Kyungsoo. “Kong ge!” He climbs down from the couch, giving Sehun the opportunity o scoot away from his brother and sit halfway in Luhan’s lap. Zitao clumsily runs to Kyungsoo and sits on him. “Kong ge!” Kyungsoo doesn’t acknowledge Zitao’s presence and continues to draw. When he realizes he’s not getting any attention from Kyungsoo, Zitao pouts and walks off to find Yixing.

 

Yixing is in the kitchen making sandwiches for lunch for the older kids and soft finger foods for the toddlers. He smiles at Zitao when he walks in and pats his head. Zitao watches quietly for a few minutes before tugging on Yixing’s pant leg. “Tao help bà ba?”

 

“You’re still a bit too little to make lunch, but do you want to help bà ba sing a song?” Zitao nods and sits on Yixing’s foot. Yixing sings while he prepares lunch and Zitao attempts to sing along, filling in the hard words with babbling. By the time lunch is done, Yifan is home from a short day at work and comes into the kitchen to kiss his husband. Zitao protests and pushes at Yifan’s legs to get him to move away from his bà ba.

 

“You know, I thought I would get some credit for changing his diapers.” Yifan picks Zitao up and kisses his cheek. Zitao pulls a face but doesn’t whine like he usually does. “Don’t you love Pa pa, Taozi?” Zitao considers Yifan for a second and kisses his cheek, but immediately reaches out for Yixing. “Guess that’s a no.”

 

Yixing rolls his eyes at Yifan and smiles. “Of course he loves you; I’m just with him all day.”

 

“You know, you could get back to playing with your band if we put Tao in daycare. I know you like writing songs for them, but I know you’d be even happier if you were playing with them.”

 

“But I’m also happy having Tao home with me, and he loves it too. No daycare now. End of discussion.” Before Yifan can argue, Yixing calls the kids into the kitchen to eat lunch and sets their food on the table as they sit. Minseok helps Sehun into his booster seat. Instead of his usual seat next to Minseok, Luhan oddly chooses to sit on the other side of Sehun and starts digging into his sandwich. Minseok frowns slightly but smiles when Kyungsoo sits next to him and pulls his mask off to eat.

 

Yixing sits with Zitao in his lap and helps him eat while Yifan, seeing that his husband’s hands are busy, feeds Yixing’s sandwich to him. Sehun looks at his plate of finger food and whines until Minseok switches plates with him so he can have his sandwich. He reaches out to grab his food, but when he looks over at Minseok eating, he suddenly decides that he wants what his brother has. Minseok, very used to this, splits both foods in half, pacifying Sehun for now.

 

“You’re a very good big brother, Minseok,” Yixing compliments. Zitao takes this opportunity to take over Yifan’s duty and stuffs his banana slice into Yixing’s open mouth. Yixing chokes for a little bit but forces a smile to make Zitao feel happy for helping.

 

Kyungsoo’s quick to finish his lunch so he can go back to his drawing and Zitao observes him for a moment before squirming out of Yixing’s lap to try to get his attention again. Kyungsoo is again too immersed in his drawing and doesn’t respond to Zitao tugging on his cape. Luhan finishes up eating when he sees that Minseok’s almost done and pulls Zitao away to play cards with him.

 

Since Minseok volunteered for a different class job from Luhan at their school, the latter had been distancing himself. At school he even started spending more time with another classmate and didn’t follow Minseok around as much. His plan was to ignore Minseok for a few days until Minseok stopped playing with Hai Feng, but so far it hadn’t worked.

 

Luhan retrieves a pack of cards and deals them out so that he and Zitao can play Go Fish. Of course, the game doesn’t go as smoothly because Zitao can't read the cards and decides that he rather chew on them. “No, Tao, you’re supposed to look at them, not eat them,” Luhan huffs. Zitao protests and bats Luhan’s hand away. “Sehun at least does what I tell him to.” Sehun seems to be tuned into the conversation and is quick to run over and cling to Luhan when he hears his name.

 

“You should come over more and play with him.” Minseok comes over and removes the cards from Zitao’s mouth. “He really misses playing with and says your name way too much.” He smiles at Luhan and sits across from him to pick up with the card game.

 

“I don’t want to play with you anymore.” Luhan drops his cards and walks away from him, with Sehun on his heels. Minseok frowns, but he’s quick to change his expression when Zitao tugs on his sleeve and asks to play with him.

 

As the kids play, Yixing goes into the office to fool around on his guitar while Yifan cleans up the kitchen. When he’s done washing all the dishes and putting them in the rack to dry, he peeks into the living room to check on the kids. Kyungsoo is still immersed in his drawing while Luhan is attempting to play his handheld console with Sehun in his lap and Zitao climbing on his back. Oddly, Minseok is missing. At first, he assumes that he’s in the bathroom, but when he peeks into the hall, the bathroom door is wide open. From where he’s standing he can see that the guest bedroom is closed though, and he goes to inspect.

 

He cracks the door open as quietly as he can, in case Minseok decided to take a nap and searches the room for the eight-year-old. Yifan does find the boy there, but he’s surprised to see him curled up on the guest bed, crying. “Minseok, what’s wrong?” Yifan sits on the bed and pulls the crying boy into his arms. Minseok shakes his head and tries to pull away, but Yifan holds onto him. “Tell me.”

 

“L-Luhan doesn’t like m-me anymore,” he sobs. He w-won’t pl-play with me, a-and he doesn’t w-want to marry m-me anymore.”

 

“Oh, Minseok…” Yifan rubs Minseok’s back and rocks him. “I’m sure he still likes you; you know Luhan’s crazy about you.” Minseok shakes his head and wipes his nose on his sleeve. “I promise. If you just talk to h-“

 

“Mr. Wu, can I have…” Luhan trails off when he sees Minseok crying. He immediately panics and runs to his side. “Minseokkie! Are you okay?” He tries to put his arms around him, but Minseok pushes him away. “Minseokkie…”

 

“You don’t like me anymore,” he mumbles sadly.

 

“No, I love you! I was mad because you like Hai Feng more than me.”

 

Minseok shakes his head and wipes his eyes. “Hai Feng is fun, but I like you more than anyone in the world and I don’t like when you’re mad at me.”

 

“I’m not mad anymore, Minseokkie…” Luhan climbs onto the bed and takes Minseok’s hand. “I’m sorry, don’t cry.” Luhan pries Yifan’s arms off Minseok and replaces them with his own.

 

“You don’t want to marry me anymore,” he argues softly.

 

“I do! And when my stepmom says I’m old enough, we’ll get married and invite all our friends ‘cept for Hai Feng cos he’s a .”

 

“Don’t call other people butts, Luhan,” Yifan lightly scolds.

 

In an act of defiance, Luhan whispers “” under his breath.

 

“So… we’ll still get married when we’re big?” When Luhan nods, Minseok plants a kiss on his cheek. Luhan’s so shock that he can only stare at Minseok with huge eyes. The staring makes Minseok blush, so he pushes Luhan away and slides off the bed to find somewhere to hide until his parents come and get him.

 

Later that afternoon, as Chanyeol said, Jongin comes to pick up Kyungsoo. Yifan calls for Kyungsoo three times before he remembers that the five-year-old won’t answer to anything but ‘Batman’. Kyungsoo looks slightly annoyed to be pulled away from playing with Zitao, but when he sees Jongin, his eyes light up and he runs up to him to cling to his legs. “Hyung! Hyung! I drew you a picture! Do you wanna see?” Kyungsoo holds his hand up until Jongin takes it and leads him to the kitchen table, where his drawing is sitting out of reach from the toddlers.

 

“Is this me?” Jongin asks when he’s handed the picture. Kyungsoo nods and furrows his eyebrows nervously. “This is the best drawing of me, I ever gotten!” The smile that Jongin gives is very genuine and it makes Kyungsoo blush and stare at his feet.

 

“I can’t write my name yet, but I drew a heart in the corner so you remember that I drew it.”

 

“I don’t think I could ever forget that you drew this for me.” Jongin holds his arms open for a hug, still nervous about initiating them in case of rejection. Kyungsoo shyly buries his head in Jongin’s chest and clings to his sweater. “Thank you, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo is so flustered that he can’t even bother to tell Jongin that he’s Batman.

 

//

 

“Nice sweater,” Yixing comments when he opens the front door to let Baekhyun in.

 

Baekhyun sticks out his tongue and removes his shoes once he’s inside the door. “It’s warm and comfy.”

 

“And huge.” Yixing pulls at the oversized argyle sweater and Baekhyun swats at his hand. “So why the surprise visit?”

 

“Just feeling lonely, I guess.” He shrugs and walks into the kitchen to steal food from the pantry. “Where’s Yifan and Tao?”

 

“Yifan’s job. Fan’s trying to convince me to put Tao in daycare so he wants to show me how great it is to have the day alone.” He rolls his eyes and reaches over to open the box of crackers that Baekhyun’s struggling with. “How’s Junmyeon?”

 

Baekhyun shrugs and stuffs a cracker into his mouth. “Well, I decided after we got back that I need to be completely honest with him and told him that I kissed Chanyeol at Tao’s birthday party.”

 

“And?”

 

“At first he was in shock, but then his expression changed into one that told me he expected for this to happen, which hurt, but then he just cried.” He sighs and leans against a counter. “And even though he said he forgave me, I know that he’s absolutely crushed and I hate myself for doing this to him.”

 

“Will you two be okay?”

 

Baekhyun pauses to stuff a few more crackers into his mouth. “I think so. I just never been with anyone as long as I’ve been with Junmyeon so when the honeymoon phase faded and Chanyeol was there looking at me with those eyes… How could you and Yifan have possibly stayed in the honeymoon phase after all these years?”

 

Yixing shrugs. “I don’t think we’re still like that. We’ve cooled down from how we used to be.”

 

“Need I remind you of why we ended up switching hotel rooms after you stole mine for 3 hours?”

 

Yixing blushes and shakes his head. “Could I ask you a question? It may be a little… sensitive so I won’t be mad if you don’t answer.”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“So I’ve heard a little from Yifan about how you dated Chanyeol for a while before Kyungsoo was born, but why did you break up with him?”

 

Baekhyun grimaces but decides to answer the question. “Well, we were both teenagers in a foreign country away from our parents so naturally we were a little wild and crazy. But when I found out about Kyungsoo, I had to stop and get myself together but Chanyeol wanted to still do everything because he was just eighteen and he started hanging out with these awful group of people who did awful things. And of course, I wasn’t really myself at the time and I couldn’t remember why I possibly liked him, but I felt stuck with him because of Kyungsoo.”

 

“So you just left?”

 

“Yeah… I mean, I didn’t really plan it, but when I went back home during winter break I just decided to not come back and just finish school there. And I did plan to come back, but the longer I wanted, the more I thought Chanyeol wouldn’t want to see me or Kyungsoo, but I finally came back and he was ecstatic to see both of us. And for a while we tried dating again for a few weeks because it seemed like the obvious option, but for whatever reason we fought all the time over every little thing but we stayed together. But after we had a giant yelling match, I found Kyungsoo curled up in a ball, crying in his closet and I knew there was no way I could stay with Chanyeol after that.”

 

“Sounds like a hard decision to make,” Yixing muses.

 

“It was, but I rather Kyungsoo have separated parents than have to listen to us scream at each other.”

 

“You’re a good parent, Baekhyun.” Yixing hugs Baekhyun and kisses his cheek.

 

“You only say that because you’re my best friend.”

 

“No, I swear you are! Any child would be lucky to have you as their parent.”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes but smiles. “I hope you’re right.”

 

//

 

On Christmas morning, Yixing’s up before anyone else and after waiting for an hour, he can’t help but wake Yifan up with light pecks on his lips. The innocent kiss quickly turns into several deep ones as Yifan wakes up. They kiss for a while until they hear Zitao waking up over the baby monitor.

 

Zitao is still generally confused about the concept of Christmas, but he enjoyed putting the ornaments on the tree when they put it up before their vacation, and he seemed to understand when Yixing told him that the presents under the tree were for him. Yifan explained about Santa Claus and how he could bring Zitao whatever gift he wanted, but he had to re-explain after Zitao said he wanted Sehun for Christmas.

 

As they were still celebrating being married, Yifan and Yixing agreed not to exchange gifts this Christmas and focus the day on Zitao. They bought him several toys that he plays with for about 3 minutes before he moves onto the next. He finally settles on a stuffed rainbow unicorn that used to be Yifan’s, but he decided to give it to Zitao to play with.

 

Zitao likes the unicorn so much that Yifan smiles to himself, proud that he’s finally found a way to win Zitao’s affection. He proudly tells the toddler who the present is from, and Zitao only blinks at him for a few second before turning to Yixing and excitedly showing off his present.

 

//

 

On their baby-free day, Yifan would love nothing more than to sleep for half the day, but he’s woken up about 10 when Yixing sits on his back.

 

“Xing, get ooooff,” he groans.

 

“Let’s go on a date.”

 

“Later tonight.”

 

“No, it has to be now,” Yixing insists. “If you don’t get up now, we’ll be late.” He moves off Yifan’s back and sits next to him with his legs folded.

 

Yifan turns his head towards his husband and sees that he’s fully dressed. “Late for what? What are you talking about?” He shifts to his back and closes his eyes again.

 

“I want to recreate our first date.”

 

Yifan opens his eyes and lifts an eyebrow. “No, you don’t.”

 

“Yes, I do! It was fun, and I want to do it again.”

 

Yifan sighs and sits up. “I was an hour late picking you up because I couldn’t find your apartment so we ended up seeing a kid’s movie in a theater full of 5 years old, and at the mall I fell into a fountain. It was not fun.”

 

“It was fun to me,” Yixing pouts. “Which is why there was a second date, a fourth date, a twelfth date…”

 

“You’re not gonna give up until I agree, are you?” Yixing nods. “Okay, okay. Just give me some time to get ready.” Yixing cheers and kisses Yifan’s cheek and leaves him to get dressed.

 

Yixing scowls when Yifan emerges from their bedroom dressed casually in jeans and long-sleeve shirt with a backwards baseball cap on his head. “You wore dress pants and a button-down shirt on our first date.”

 

“To impress you. But you’re stuck with me forever now and plus I just woke up half an hour ago.” Yixing rolls his eyes but doesn’t demand that Yifan change again as they’re running close on time to make it to their movie.

 

Luckily, they’re not an hour late for their movie and get there in time to see a sappy romantic comedy that Yixing’s been talking about for three days. Yixing is determined to make this like their first day so he buys a large tub of popcorn for them to share and when they both reach their hands into the tub, they link their buttery fingers and watch the rest of the movie.

 

After the movie, they go to the mall to walk around and window shop. When they first started dating and neither of them had enough money to leisurely spend, they often came to the mall to look around and point out what they would buy if they had the money. After Yifan started making more at work, he spent his first check on a backpack that Yixing never pointed out but his eyes lingered on it when they window-shopped at the stores they knew were way out of their budget. Yixing cried for a full 5 minutes before telling Yifan that he loved him for the first time.

 

There’s a lot more teenagers in the mall than they remember from when they first started dating, but Yixing welcomes this and holds Yifan’s hand after they pass a few couples. Yifan’s very aware of the way groups of teenagers point and whisper at them as they past, but he sees that Yixing’s oblivious to them so he doesn’t bring it up.

 

After a while, Yixing pulls Yifan into a photo booth that’s sitting against a wall, away from most of the crowd. Yifan reminds him that they just got unbanned from the menswear store, but Yixing claims that he just wanted to innocently take pictures. Each photo strip costs just a few coins so Yixing puts in enough pocket change to take 20 pictures. Yifan cooperates for the first half, posing a certain way whenever Yixing requests, but for the second half he just watches Yixing who’s obviously having fun. When they’re done, they exit the booth and collect the pictures.

 

“I still get chills whenever I see you looking at me like this.” Yixing holds up the last half of the pictures for Yifan to see. “It took you forever to tell me you loved me, but I knew it way before you told me.”

 

“And I knew I loved you when I let you call me by the wrong name our whole first date.”

 

“You should have corrected me then!”

 

Yifan shrugs. “I was just surprised that you went on a date with me so I could care less what you called me.”

 

Yixing smiles softly at Yifan. “I love you.” He stands on his toes to kiss his husband and Yifan leans down to meet him halfway.

 

“I love you too.”


First family holiday (sorry it's so short): thewolvesarecoming

I promise I'll get back to filling more prompts from now on!

Also, it's taken me quite a few chapters to cover a year time period, but starting next chapter, I'll be pretty much covering a year per chapter so if there's any toddler specific prompts you want to see, let me know now!

I probably won't be able to post again for a while with finals coming up, but after that there should be regular updates for a little while.

And I'm trying to get better at answering comments, so leave one and I'll answer back ^^