3 years Part 2

Sunday Morning Kisses: Growing Up

When Baekhyun brings Kyungsoo home from school and he sees both Junmyeon and Chanyeol sitting in the living room, the seven-year-old automatically feels nervous. It’s rare for his stepdad to be home that early, and even rarer to see all his parents in one room. “We need to talk to you about something,” Baekhyun tells him in that voice that tells Kyungsoo something serious is going on. Even Chanyeol’s face is somber, so he decides to sit between Junmyeon and Baekhyun instead of on Chanyeol’s lap like he wants.

 

“Are you getting a divorce?” He blurts out. Even though the adults try to keep their problems hidden from him, Kyungsoo’s not stupid, and he knows that Baekhyun and Junmyeon aren’t happy with each other. Chanyeol vaguely told him that the reason he and Baekhyun didn’t stay together was because they fought too much, so logically he assumes that’s going on here.

 

“No! Did someone tell you that?” Baekhyun pulls his son onto his lap and kisses the top of his head. Kyungsoo shrugs and shakes his head. “But there are going to be a few big changes.”

 

“You know we all love you more anything, right? I love you like my own, and I just want to see you happy.” Kyungsoo hesitantly nods at Junmyeon. “And we’d think you’d be happier if you lived with your Bà ba for a while.”

 

Although Kyungsoo just nods, he immediately thinks that he’s done something to make Junmyeon stop liking him and send him away. He’s always liked Junmyeon since he met him when he was three, but the stories of mean stepparents left him feeling a little wary that the smiling man who showered him with gifts would suddenly turn on him. He thinks he should have seen this coming after Baekhyun and Junmyeon started paying way more attention to Taeyeon and left him with Chanyeol more and more. “Okay…” he agrees, still not understanding why they all had to be there to tell him.

 

“And I know it’ll be hard to understand why we’re doing this, but your stepdad, sister, and I are going back to Korea, where your grandparents are while you live with your Bà ba.” Kyungsoo frowns. “This isn’t because we don’t love you more than anything, but I know that this is your home and I want you to be happy and grow up here.”

 

Kyungsoo stares down at the ground. “Are you okay?” Chanyeol kneels down in front of Kyungsoo and tries to catch his eye.

 

“I have homework,” he mutters and slides off of Baekhyun’s lap to hide away in his room/nursery. Junmyeon comes in letter to check on Taeyeon who’s happily playing in her playpen, but otherwise they leave Kyungsoo alone for the night.

 

 

At school the next week, the teachers start to treat Kyungsoo a little differently, pitying him for his family situation and wanting him to feel accepted. But even among seven-year-olds, when a student gets special treatment, the other kids become not too fond of him. He’s already used to being picked on for having three dads (almost four now that Jongin proposed), but having half his family move to another country is more ammunition for the kids to pick on him. In the past he’s done of good job of just ignoring it; Baekhyun told him the bullies weren’t worth his time. But there’s this one kid in particular who feels the need to comment on Kyungsoo’s family situation every single day, so he doesn’t think it’s really his fault when he puts the said kid into a headlock until the teacher has to pull him off.

 

The school calls his parents, all three of them, and while he loves them, the sight of all of them together make him nervous and makes him feel that something bad will happen. They don’t do much to scold him there though; the teacher explains what happens and while Chanyeol looks a little proud of his son, Baekhyun gives Kyungsoo a disappointed look and promises to make sure that something like this won’t happen again.

 

“No, you won’t because you’re leaving me,” Kyungsoo mumbles, but he’s still loud enough that everyone hears and is stunned into silence.

 

“Kyungsoo…” Baekhyun speaks up after a tense silence.

 

“I’m mad at you,” the seven-year-old quietly admits. “I’m sorry I did something to make you not want me anymore, but I’m still mad you’re leaving me.” Again, all the adults don’t know what to say, and Baekhyun decides that he needs to talk to his son in private. He takes the boy’s hand and leads him out of the office and takes him to the empty lobby of the school to talk.

 

“I always forget that you’re smarter than I give you credit for,” Baekhyun admits. “I gave you the sugar coated version of what’s going on, but I think you’re smart enough to hear the real version.” Baekhyun sits against a wall and pulls Kyungsoo in his lap to hold him while he talks. “Remember when you asked if we were getting a divorce?” Kyungsoo nods. “Junmyeon and I did think about it, but we really want to stay together because we love each other but it’s been a little hard lately. And it’s nothing you did; I really messed up things and the only way I might be able to fix it is if Hyung and I get away from Korea because being here makes him think of the bad things I did here. And when you were a baby I messed up and took you away from your Bà ba, and I couldn’t live with myself if I took you away from him again.”

 

“Can’t we all move together?”

 

Baekhyun smiles sadly and shakes his head. “Your Bà ba really needs to stay here because… he has his own life here and he has Jongin who also has a job here he can’t leave. But I promise that I’ll visit you as often as I can, and when you’re out of school you can come visit me. And we can’t visit each other there’s always video chat.” He sighs. “I can’t really promise when we’ll come back or even if Hyung will come back with me, but I promise that you didn’t do anything to make me leave and I wish more than anything that you could come too.”

 

Kyungsoo thinks to himself for a few minutes, understanding a little more why everything was happening, but it didn’t mean it liked it any more or hurt any less. “What about my birthday?”

 

“We’ll come back for it every year that we’re away. I promise.” He holds his pinky out to the seven-year-old who eagerly accepts the pinky promise, and after they press their thumbs together, Kyungsoo wraps his arms around Baekhyun’s neck and clings to him, enjoying having all of his attention, even if it’s just for a little while longer.

 

//

 

It’s been a while since Yixing’s been to Yifan’s job because of both of their busy job schedules, but like in the old days he enjoys seeing the busyness of the agency and watching his husband look so professional. Nowadays, Yifan doesn’t do much more than fill out paperwork, but Yixing still likes to sit in Yifan’s office and get some of his own work done while he waits for his husband to be done so they can go home together.

 

Yixing has his headphones plugged into his tablet while he lays down a few chords in in a music app, so he doesn’t notice when there’s a knock on the door; he just sees his husband motioning for the visitor to enter the room. To be polite, Yixing takes off his headphones to properly great the visitor; after all he’s the one intruding in the company. But when he greets the young man who enters, he hardly gets a glance before the man smiles at Yifan and starts to talk about how much he misses seeing him around since he started working the corporate side.

 

It’s obvious to Yixing that the young model is flirting with his husband, and the twenty-something-year-old doesn’t seem to care that he’s flirting with Yifan in front of his husband. To get his attention, Yixing clears his throat louder than necessary.

 

“Oh, hi!” Yixing thinks this kid is a great actor because he looks at him as if it was the first time he’s ever seen him. “Are you Yifan’s friend?”

 

Yixing digs his fingernails into his thighs but puts on a smile. “I’m his husband.” He holds up left hand to show off his engagement and wedding rings. “We’ve been married for two years, together for almost 7,” he adds.

 

The young man smiles back and nods. “I didn’t know Yifan ge was married. He hasn’t really mentioned you.”

 

“I didn’t really think it was necessary to bring it up with me wearing my own rings.” Yifan points to his ring finger. “But I do wear a lot of other rings so I see why you might not know.” Years of being with Yixing have taught Yifan when his husband is being sincerely nice and when it’s a cover for his real feelings. “But we have dinner reservations to make, so we’ll talk some other time, alright?” Yifan stands up and starts to collect his things, shooting the young man an apologetic smile.

 

Yixing’s already out the door of Yifan’s office before he can hear what else the other man has to say, but he really can’t help how jealous he feels. And he’s never been one to wish ill-will on anyone, but he can’t stop his mind from thinking of all the things he could do to Yifan’s visitor and he needed to leave before he acted out on any of them. He’s silent as Yifan comes out of his office, but he still reaches out for his hand as if to prove that Yifan is his as they walk together to the parking garage.

 

“Are you okay?” Yifan asks as he gets into the driver’s seat.

 

Yixing shrugs. “I don’t know why he bothered me so much… people flirt with you all the time, but…”

 

“But?”

 

“I guess he just made me suddenly aware that because of your job you’ve stayed in shape since we’ve starting dating, and I… well, I was about his size when we started dating, and now I’m not.”

 

Yifan takes Yixing’s hand in his. “Do you really think I care about your weight?” He looks at his husband and kisses his hand. “First of all, you were too thin when we first started dating. And I fell in love with the strange, forgetful man who called me Yi Long our whole first date, not your weight. You have nothing to worry about.”

 

“Just like you don’t have to worry about Xiu Yi?”

 

Yifan frowns. “That’s different. You went on a date with him.”

 

“I went on one with Chanyeol too,” he reminds him. “And Chanyeol kissed me.”

 

“We don’t talk about that.” Yixing smiles and leans over to kiss Yifan.

 

“Let’s go home.”

 

“Didn’t I say we had dinner reservations?”

 

Yixing’s eyebrows knit together in confusion. “I thought you said it so we could leave.”

 

“I did, but I need to show you how much I love you, and me cooking for you may result in food poisoning, which might not get the message across. And you can eat all you want and don’t compare yourself to anybody else.”

 

“Oh, you don’t have to tell me to eat as much as I want,” Yixing reassures him. “But I do feel better knowing that you don’t care if I do.”

 

//

 

With a permanent scowl on his face, Sehun is used to kids thinking he’s a little scary and leaving him alone. It helps his case even more that he’s a kid of few words, which gives the impression that he should be left alone. Zitao, while having the same threatening expression, isn’t so lucky to avoid being messed with because of how much he talks and how innocent and naïve he is.

 

Their preschool class is the youngest group in a bigger elementary school, and while the school tries to have separate recesses, sometimes the bigger kids like to wander over to pick on the little kids. Zitao and Sehun are minding their own business, playing in the sand, when an older kid, about six years old, comes over and pushes Zitao over.

 

The three-year-old immediately starts crying as he’s never had someone be directly mean to him, Luhan didn’t really count as he was only mean when he got too close to Minseok. Sehun’s eyes get wide at their encounter with the bully, and he tries to push the mean kid away but he gets pushed down too and starts to tear up himself. On instinct, Sehun cries out for his Hyung, not knowing what else to do, but he knows that his big brother will always protect him.

 

Little does Sehun know that Minseok and Luhan’s class have the same recess time, and the two older kids aren’t aware of it either, but since his brother was born, Minseok can probably hear his voice from a mile away and looks around the schoolyard when he hears the familiar ‘Hyung.’ He wanders off from the rest of their class, Luhan following close behind, and finds himself among the younger kids, his eyes scanning over the area. He notes that the teachers are talking among themselves and he’s not really surprised that it was so easy to leave his classmates.

 

“Over there!” Luhan points. Minseok looks in the direction Luhan’s pointing just in time to see his brother and Zitao cowering away from a kid twice their size. Both boys are crying and Minseok has no idea how the teachers haven’t heard them yet, but he’s not waiting for them to notice.

 

“Hey!” He rushes over to the small sandpit, fists balled up, even though he knows he won’t’ really hit the bully because he knows not to pick on kids younger then him. “Get away from them!” The six-year-old bully immediately looks terrified at the two nine-year-olds approaching him and scampers away before they can reach him.

 

“Hyung!” Sehun immediately latches on to his older brother and wipes his nose on Minseok’s shirt. Zitao also clings to Minseok, but Luhan pulls him away to comfort the crying boy himself, but really because the only other person allowed to be around Minseok is his little brother.

 

“Are you okay?” Minseok wipes the tears off his baby brother’s face. “Hyung’s here; he won’t hurt you again.” Luhan does his best to imitate Minseok and only succeeds in poking Zitao in the eye. He’s really not cut out for being an older brother. “Let’s go tell the teacher, and she’ll make sure that won’t happen again.” Sehun nods and takes Minseok’s hand. Luhan immediately jumps at the opportunity to hold the other one, leaving Zitao crying in the sand. In the end Minseok has to shake Luhan off so he can take Zitao the teacher.

 

Luhan may not be cut out for being a big brother, but Minseok thinks it’s the best thing in the world when Sehun kisses his cheek and tells Minseok that he loves him more than anything in the world.


Prompts:

Guy/girl flirting with Yifan and making Yixing jealous: kimdeyya
Sehun and Tao being jealous and XiuHan coming to the rescue: mari_038

More prompts?


Anyone up for a Fanxing chapter?