1 year

Sunday Morning Kisses: Growing Up

Yixing pouts as he looks around the bar looking for Yifan. His band had just finished his set and at some point between ending the last song and emerging from backstage, he’d lost track of his fiancé. They’d finally agree to having two baby-free nights a month, but unfortunately Yixing’s replacement guitarist came down with something on one of their date nights. He figures that Yifan isn’t too far off, so he takes a seat at the bar and orders a club soda.

 

He feels a hand rest itself on his back, and he turns around expecting to see Yifan. He pouts slightly when he sees it’s just Xiu Yi, the band’s drummer. “You usually run right out of here right after the show.”

 

“Someone’s watching Zitao for the night. I’m finally free,” he jokes.

 

Xiu Yi sits on the stool next to him and scoots closer so their thighs are touching. He slings an arm over Yixing’s shoulders, something he’s so used to that it barely fazes him. “So how’s parenthood?”

 

“Exhausting,” Yixing admits. “But it’s absolutely amazing. I wouldn’t trade Zitao for anything. How’s single life?”

 

“Boring.” Xiu Yi scoffs and orders a drink. “The most human contact I get is when we practice and play gigs. You should hang out with me more outside band activities.”

 

“Yeah, we could hang out more.”

 

“But…” Xiu Yi’s arm is suddenly removed from his shoulders. Yixing looks to his other side and smiles at Yifan whose eyes are dark and glaring at Xiu Yi. “We’re quite busy with our child and wedding preparations, so he’s not too free to hang out with you.” Yifan puts a possessive arm around his fiancé and pulls him closer to himself and away from the other man.

 

Xiu Yi quirks an eyebrow and brings his glass to his lips. “So you’re moving ahead with the wedding? You didn’t tell us that, Xing.”

 

“Because I didn’t know…?” He curiously looks over at Yifan who shrugs and stands up.

 

“We should be on our way; it’s our date night.” Yifan smirks at Xiu Yi who just gives him an amused look back. Yixing huffs and pulls Yifan away from the bar.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you that Xiu Yi has no interest in me? Yeah he’s overly affectionate, but he’s just a good friend like Baekhyun is.” Yixing has pulled them through the backstage and out of the back door into the secluded alleyway.

 

“Bull.” Yifan crosses his arms and stares down at Yixing, his eyes still dark. “You don’t see the way he looks at you.”

 

“That may be so, but you know I have no interest in anyone but you. Stop pulling me away from him.”

 

Yifan paces back and forth a few steps with his arms still crossed. “I know you would never cheat on me, but I can’t stand to see people flirting with you. And I just automatically have the strongest need to pull you away from them. You just- you can’t understand because you never get jealous.”

 

They’re silent for a while until Yixing speaks in a small voice. “That’s not true.”

 

“Of course it is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you bat an eyelash at anyone I’ve worked with. I work with a lot of beautiful women you know.”

 

“Mmhmm, I know.” Yixing smiles and rests a hand on Yifan’s forearm to keep him from pacing. “And I would be really worried if you weren’t completely gay, but I do get jealous. I know I don’t say anything, but I don’t like all the time you spend with Junmyeon when just the two of you hang out.”

 

Yifan’s dark expression changes into one of surprise. “Really? But… he’s married.”

 

“But he’s still your ex and he has your first everything. And I know you were never in love with him, but sometimes I just feel really pissed that he has most of your firsts while you have all of mine.”

 

“Except for your first kiss,” Yifan mumbles. He still found himself glaring at Chanyeol sometimes even though Yifan and Yixing would probably not be together without Chanyeol’s help.

 

Thin arms wrap themselves around Yifan’s waist and hold him close. “He didn’t know, and he apologized for that.”

 

Yifan also wraps his arms around his fiancé and rests his head on top of Yixing’s. “Let’s just agree that we’re jealous of each other, we have different ways of showing it, and that’s alright.”

 

“I actually really like that you’re still jealous even after all this time. And I like the way you kiss me when you’re feeling possessive.”

 

“Do you?” Yifan leans down to claim Yixing’s lips at the same time the back door swings open again and Xiu Yi steps out with a cigarette between his lips. He mumbles a quick ‘sorry’ and quickly retreats into the building.

 

Yixing blushes, embarrassed at being caught by a friend. “We should leave anyway to get to the karaoke bar.” They go back through the back door and make their way through the bar. Yifan makes sure to smirk at Xiu Yi as they leave.

 

//

 

“Okay, thank you anyway.” Yixing ends the call on his mobile phone and brings his hands up to his head to rub his temple. “Luhan’s parents are working too.”

 

“So what do we do?” Yifan looks down at the baby in his arms. Zitao’s content, on his pacifier, but is tugging at Yifan’s hair with one of his balled fists.

 

Yixing shrugs in leans back in his chair. “One of us has to take him to work.” They exchange looks trying to see who will be first to volunteer to take Zitao, but neither wants to budge. “Yifan, I really can’t take him. We’re playing at this wedding as a favor, and I really can’t ask anyone to watch him during sets.”

 

“I’m shooting an ad today though. If I was at the agency it wouldn’t be a problem.”

 

“Please? He’s generally fine as long as his pacifier is in. And if you help him walk a little during your breaks, he’ll tire himself out.” Yixing pouts and brings his hands together in a pleading manner.

 

“Xing…”

 

“Zitao!” The toddler looks over at Yixing. “You want to be with pa pa today, right?” Zitao nods and goes back to playing with Yifan’s hair. “See? He wants to be with you. How could you deny our son of that?”

 

“Not fair!” Yifan protests. “You know he agrees to everything you say!”

 

Yixing stands up and kisses his fiancé’s and son’s cheeks. “I don’t have to be fair. Have fun today.”

 

Between the ride from home to Yifan’s advertisement location, Zitao manages to take out his pacifier and lose it somewhere in the car. Yifan searches through the car looking for pacifier, but he’s crunched on time and has to take Zitao in without it. Zitao absolutely loves to make any kind of noise and starts talking to himself, letting out a few simple words. Yifan lugs the car seat into the building and bows to every person he passes as he’s feeling embarrassed for bringing his child to work. All the female workers he passes absolutely fawn over Zitao and wave at him as they pass. The toddler absolutely loves the attention and babbles and waves at everyone who looks at him.

 

“Be good for pa pa today, alright?” Yifan unbuckles Zitao from his car seat and carries him to the dressing room to prepare for his shoot. While Yifan changes into his first outfit for the shoot, Zitao does his best to walk around the room while holding onto furniture. He takes very shaky steps and falls down a few times, but he’s sure to start walking without any help soon. “Come here, Zitao. Hold my hand,” Yifan commands after he’s dressed. Zitao falls on his bottom but quickly gets back up and holds out his hand. Slowly, they make their way to the makeup room. Even though it would be much faster for Yifan to carry the toddler, Yixing had gotten onto him several times because he was constantly putting off Zitao’s walking by carrying him everywhere.

 

“Pa pa!” Yifan looks down at Zitao who’s pointing at a full-length mirror as they walk. “Baby!”

 

“That baby is you, Taozi.” Zitao frowns, not really sure if he should believe Yifan and keeps staring into the mirror. “Come on, we’re running late.” Yifan figures carrying Zitao once won’t hurt and holds him in his arms.

 

After getting his makeup and hair done, a female staff member promises to watch Zitao while he’s being photographed. She promises to keep Zitao far enough from the set where he doesn’t cause any trouble, but close enough where Zitao can see Yifan.

 

Five minutes into the shoot, Zitao starts crying and squirms so much that the staff member has to put him on the floor to keep from dropping him. Zitao quickly crawls away from her towards the set. Yifan bows in apology for Zitao interrupting the shoot and asks for a few minutes to calm the toddler down. He bounces Zitao on his hip, singing to him and kissing his forehead. Zitao slowly calms down, but he refuses to leave Yifan’s arms. He spends half of the scheduled shoot time feeding Zitao and rocking him to make him fall asleep. Yifan’s almost asleep himself when Zitao falls asleep against his stomach while he sits in a makeup chair.

 

During the extended break, the photographer takes the opportunity to snap a few candid pictures of Yifan and Zitao together. Of course, they’ll never make it into the actual advertisement, but the photographer saves the particular pictures to a disk for Yifan to take home. Yixing somehow finds the disk and the very next week, the picture is blown up and framed in the living room.

 

//

 

Zitao’s first birthday party had pretty much been planned since his birth.

 

They’d planned a small gathering with Zitao’s playmates, along with their parents in order to control the kids better. Minseok’s and Luhan’s parents show up early, as they only live next door. Minseok is holding his baby brother’s hand as the toddler takes small, unstable steps into their house. Chanyeol comes with Kyungsoo in tow, who has red chalk in his hair this week. Baekhyun arrives later by himself, explaining that Junmyeon had to work.

 

The party is not much more than a big play date as the kids play together as best as they can. Luhan, as usual, seems more focused on only playing with Minseok, but Minseok does his best to incorporate Kyungsoo, Zitao, and Sehun into their fun. Kyungsoo is excited at having another baby to play with when he sees Sehun, but Sehun is completely disinterested in playing with him. Zitao is completely awed by the presence of another baby and reaches out his small, chubby hands to touch Sehun. Sehun whines in protest and clumsily walks away. Zitao attempts to get on his feet and follow, but he falls after a couple of steps. Zitao tries again but when he doesn’t get anywhere again, he cries. Sehun doesn’t like the sound of Zitao’s crying and starts crying too. Luhan screams in an attempt to cover their crying.

 

After quieting the kids down, the adults decide that it’s time to move onto cake before more disasters occur. Yifan bought a small fancy cake from the bakery specially decorated for a first birthday. The cake is covered in blue fondant with colorful balloons attached and a number ‘1’ candle in the middle. Everybody claps their hands as they sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Zitao, and the birthday boy looks around confused as to why everyone is around him and why there’s fire in front of him. Unfortunately, Sehun just had his birthday the month before and is excited to show off his candle-blowing-out skills. He almost falls out of his mother’s arms as he blows out the candle before Zitao can. Zitao bursts into tears and Sehun soon joins him again.

 

Predictably, after cake the kids are so hyper that they can’t get them to sit still long enough to watch Zitao open presents. The birthday boy can’t concentrate long enough anyway to tear open the wrapping paper. Zitao does his best to touch Sehun again, but when he keeps walking away, Zitao settles playing with Kyungsoo.

 

Early into the evening, the kids start falling asleep from running around all afternoon. When Luhan and Minseok fall asleep curled up together on the couch, their parents say their goodbyes and take them and Sehun home.

 

Yifan and Yixing start cleaning up the mess all the kids have made and breathe a sigh of relieve at finally being done with the party. Zitao had been the first of all of them to fall asleep, and Yixing had put him in his playpen to sleep while all the other kids tired themselves out. When he goes back to check on him, he’s surprised to see Kyungsoo curled up in the playpen next to him.

 

“Yifan,” Yixing calls out.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Did you know that Kyungsoo is still here?”

 

Yifan frowns and pokes his head out of the kitchen. “Is he? I thought he left with one of his parents. I haven’t seen Chan or Baek since after we ate cake.”

 

“Check around. They probably tired themselves out too playing all those games with the kids. I swear, they're kids themselves.”

 

Yifan nods and sets down the trash bag in his hands. He pokes his head into the guest room, thinking that one of them may have passed out on the guest bed. He finds both of them, but he doesn’t expect to find both of them. On the bed. Attached at the lips. Yifan lets out a curse and almost leaves the room again, but he decides to be a friend to Junmyeon and he pulls Chanyeol off the bed.

 

“You are not doing that in my house, and I hope that you won’t do it ever again.” He pushes a surprised Chanyeol towards the door. “Go take Kyungsoo home, and Baekhyun, go to your own home.”

 

Chanyeol scrambles out of the room immediately, while Baekhyun remains on the bed, very embarrassed and ashamed of being caught. “Don’t tell Junmyeon,” Baekhyun pleads quietly.

 

Yifan crosses his arms and leans back against the doorframe. “You know Junmyeon’s my friend.”

 

Baekhyun sighs and stares down at his lap. “I know, but… I-I’ll tell him, but please give me the chance, okay? If you tell him you caught us, he might think that this has been going on, but I swear that this is the only time I’ve kissed Chanyeol since we broke up.”

 

“You have to tell him soon. I can’t hang out with him knowing that I’m keeping your secret.”

 

“Of course, of course.” Baekhyun nods. “I would never expect anyone to keep this kind of secret, but…” He laces his fingers together. “Please don’t be mad at Chanyeol for this. I kissed him.”

 

Yifan shrugs. “Go home, Baekhyun. To your own home. With your husband.” Baekhyun crawls off the bed and leaves just as quickly as Chanyeol did.

 

“What was that about?” Yixing asks when Yifan reenters the room. He now has the trash bag and is throwing paper plates and cups into it.

 

Since they started dating, the two of them have told each other everything. What makes their relationship perfect is the fact they the two of them are each other’s best friend; there are absolutely no secrets between them. But this is a secret that he truly know he has no right to tell, and chances are that Baekhyun will eventually tell Yixing. But for right now he smiles and shakes his head. “Nothing.”

 

//

 

Sehun prefers to play independently most of the time, so Minseok hands him a few wooden blocks and walks off to play with Luhan. The toddler sits quietly and does his best to stack the blocks.

 

Up until this point, Zitao has quietly been sitting beside Luhan, on his pacifier and patting the Chinese boy’s hair. When he spots Sehun playing by himself, he abandons Luhan and crawls over to touch the baby. Sehun recoils when Zitao places a hand on his cheek and gets to his feet to walk away. Zitao starts to cry a little, knowing he can’t catch up to Sehun with just crawling. Shakily, he gets to his feet and attempts a step. He doesn’t immediately fall so he’s still optimistic even when he falls back on his bottom.

 

Yixing spots Zitao attempt to walk on his own and almost knocks Yifan over in the hall while running to get the camera.

 

Zitao clambers to his feet again and takes a careful step. When he doesn’t fall, he takes another slow one. Sehun has his back to Zitao and doesn’t see him approaching from his new spot on the ground. Zitao gets so excited about walking on his own that he tries to pick up his speed and ends up falling onto Sehun. Sehun lets out a loud ‘NO’ and tries to get away, but Zitao wraps his arms around Sehun and holds onto him.

 

Yifan likes to mark this moment as the day Sehun became Zitao’s best friend, whether or not Sehun wanted to be.

 

(He didn’t.)

 


HERE'S YOUR FREAKING BAEKYEOL.

I kid, I kid. I love Baekyeol.

Jealous Kris prompt from yunjaefor and taking Tao to work & first steps prompt from nomSicanom.

Keep leaving prompts! I'll attempt to incorporate all I can, including the ones already made in previous comments ^^

Upvote?