2 years Part 3

Sunday Morning Kisses: Growing Up

Back stories FTW.


Despite how eager the both of them were to be parents, neither of them discussed their parents much with each other. Yifan once mentioned that his father died when he was young, and his mother died during those short months he was married to Junmyeon. Yixing hasn’t shared too much about his own parents, in fact, he’s not even sure himself whether they’re alive.

 

He was taken out of their home when he was just a little older than Zitao; he can’t remember what for but whatever the reason, it was clear he wasn’t going back. From that time up until he attended his liberal arts college, he stayed at a group home with plenty of other kids. Yixing’s never been one to complain about things out of his control, so even though he craved attention only a parent could give him, he kept his feelings to himself throughout those 15 or so years. It was at the group home that he thinks he developed his love for kids. As he got older, he started taking on more responsibility and would do his best to keep the rooms clean and even convinced the cooks to teach him. And when the younger kids craved that attention, the kind he wanted when he was three-years-old, he’d make sure to give it to them and ease some of the pain of not having a parent’s unconditional love.

 

The last day in the group home, the day he moved into his college dormitory, he remembers how he clung to the aunties there who had been there over the years and the little ones he looked after desperately grasp at his legs and beg for their da ge to stay with them. But the aunties forced him to go in the end and told him that they hoped he would stop calling. Not because they were sick of him, not by a long shot, but they knew that if he was happy and healthy in his new life, there would be no need for him to come back. It seemed ridiculous to him at first: if he was so happy, wouldn’t he want to call and share it with them? But sure enough as he becomes best friends with Xiu Yi, as he starts up a band, as he falls in love with Yifan, he calls less and less until there’s a point where he stops calling altogether.

 

So, he’s not sure how to provide a reason he wants to adopt to Yifan without going into detail about his experiences or without just saying ‘I want to adopt because I didn’t get adoped.’ Though he’s sure that Yifan will accept the latter reason and go along with whatever he really wants, he feels that he owes Yifan more of an explanation, considering how long they’ve been together and how big and expensive the adoption process is.

 

He starts by casually asking Zitao how he would like having someone there all the time to play with him, besides the puppy. Zitao seems to like the idea, but then he asks if that means Sehun is going to live with them. Then he has to put up with the tantrum that predictably follows when he says no. After that’s a bust, he starts doing his own research on adoption and how much it costs and how long it takes. Even though they’re financially comfortable, adopting might be more than they can afford and it could take them years until they finally find a child, assuming it won’t fall through.

 

So, he decides to not bring up the topic, no matter how much he really wants to do it and only tells Yifan about how close Tao and Sehun are getting or the progress he was making on his songs.

 

“Can you take a few days off work?” Yifan asks. Over the phone, Yixing can hear that Yifan’s somewhere crowded from all the voices in the background.

 

Yixing walks across the living room, picking up Panda (so affectionately named by Zitao) and curls up on the couch. “I could if I put in some late nights in the studio. Why?”

 

“I want to go on a vacation with you and Taozi. And this time please do not invite anyone else. Wu family only.”

 

“Are you planning on marrying me again?” Yixing teases. The small beagle squirms until Yixing lets her go and proceeds to run in circles, trying to catch her tail. Yixing frowns and grabs a pillow to hold onto. “I miss you...”

 

Yifan lets out a low chuckle that gives Yixing goose bumps. “It’s only been a couple of days.”

 

“Yes, but Zitao’s hugs aren’t as warm as yours, and I hate sleeping alone and the puppy doesn’t love me as much as she loves you.”

 

“You can’t complain about the last one because Tao loves you more than he loves me. The least you can do is let the dog love me.” Yixing laughs and denies the statement. “But I miss you too, which is why I want to get away for a few days. I even found a hotel suite that accommodates children, meaning we’ll have our own room.” Even without being next to him, Yixing knows that Yifan’s eyebrows are raised suggestively.

 

Panda soon grows bored of chasing her tail and bounds him to Yixing, wanting to lay down in Yixing’s lap. “Oh now you want to sit in my lap.”

 

“Who’s sitting in your lap? There better not be any other men there. Only me and Tao are allowed in your lap.”

 

Yixing smiles at his husband’s slight jealousy. “It’s just the dog; you don’t have to sharpen your claws.”

 

“Just making sure you haven’t allowed Xiu Yi to step into our home without me being there.” Yixing rolls his eyes. “But I have to go meet a few people now, but I’ll call you as soon as I can alright? I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” He juts out his bottom lip and lets his shoulders fall.

 

“I can hear you pouting, but just hold on a few more days. Tell Taozi I love him.”

 

“Mm, I will. Bye.” After Yixing hangs up, he relaxes on the couch a while, scratching behind Panda’s ears. There’s not much time to rest though if he wants to take those few vacation days off though, so he’s soon back on his feet and headed to his studio to work. He’s still working hours later when Sehun’s mother brings Zitao back and between the two-year-old trying to touch everything and the puppy trying to gnaw on the cords, he knows he’s not getting any work done while they’re both awake.

 

And while he loves how much energy Zitao and Panda give him, perhaps their schedules and lives are a little too full for another addition.

 

//

 

Jongin makes it known that he absolutely adores dogs. He can’t count the number of times his friends or Chanyeol have caught him on a Skype call with his parents, talking to the “kids” he left behind. Leaving them back in Korea was probably one of the hardest decisions he ever had to make, besides the actual decision to move to China. So, obviously, he’s excited about Yifan’s and Yixing’s dog when Chanyeol casually mentions it. For the next two weeks, he drops not-so-subtle hints to his boyfriend that he really wants to go play with the new puppy. He doesn’t know Yifan and Yixing that well, so he doesn’t feel comfortable with asking them directly so he pesters Chanyeol into asking. He can barely contain his excitement when Yixing invites him over to play with the puppy and keep an eye on Zitao and Sehun while he works.

 

Admittedly, he’s not so excited for the keeping an eye on a couple of toddlers part because he has zero experience with looking after children. The few times his older sisters babysat, he would watch over the baby while they made food or he would hold the baby while it watch television, but he doesn’t have much hands-on experience. But he’s at ease knowing that even though he’s awkward around kids, Yixing will just be in the next room if they really need something.

 

The beagle puppy is probably the cutest thing he’s ever seen outside his own dogs, and he’s sure his face lights up the same way it does when he sees Kyungsoo. He silently scolds himself for comparing Kyungsoo to a dog but goes back to playing with the hyperactive puppy. Every time Zitao and Sehun come over to pet the puppy, Jongin gets nervous and suddenly feels super nervous. For some reason he can only nod at them and shyly ask if they’re having fun.

 

Eventually, the puppy wears herself down and curls up in her bed to sleep. Jongin starts to watch her to see how cute she is while sleeping, but he doesn’t want Yixing to see any of his weird habits so he gets off the floor to go tell the older man that he’s heading home. But just as he’s heading to the studio, Yixing rushes out while pulling on a jacket and putting a hat over his tussled hair. “Do you mind watching the kids for a couple of hours? I’m trying to finish this song early so I can take a vacation, but there’s some equipment I need that I don’t have here.”

 

Jongin’s mouth gaps open and he stutters out something that sounds like a yes.

 

“Great! Thank you! Uh, both of them are potty-trained, but Tao still likes someone to hold his hand.” He rushes into the bedroom and comes back with some cash and hands it to Jongin. “That’s if you want something to eat while I’m gone; I’ve already made the kids’ food so you just need to heat it up.” He runs o the front door to jam his feet in a pair of sneakers. “Emergency contact son the fridge, and you have my number. Bye!” And before Jongin can get any real words out, Yixing’s already gone.

 

The two toddlers come in after Yixing leaves and stare up at him. Zitao’s eyes are wide as he stares up at Jongin with wide eyes, while Sehun gives him a bored look, his nose buried in Zitao’s shirt.

 

“.” When Zitao repeats what he just said, Jongin has to refrain himself from cursing again at how he’s already messed up seconds after Yixing entrusted two human lives to him.

 

“I hafta potty,” Zitao announces, still staring expectantly up at Jongin.

 

“Um… okay?” When Zitao doesn’t move, Jongin finally realizes that he’s waiting for him to come with him. “Oh, um.” He holds his hand out to Zitao, but the toddler lifts both of his arms wanting to be carried to the bathroom.

 

Jongin picks up the toddler and carries him toward the bathroom, with Sehun trailing behind him, stepping on his heels. Sehun refuses to stay outside while Zitao uses his baby potty so while Jongin is holding one of Zitao’s hand, Sehun’s on the other side, holding Zitao’s hand and gives him a blank look that makes Jongin uncomfortable. After Zitao successfully uses the potty and washes his hands, he starts to dance around, which Jongin assumes must be something Yifan and Yixing do with him because he looks absolutely devastated until Jongin joins him.

 

After the impromptu bathroom dance party, Zitao drags his two companions into his room and pulls out his box of blocks to play with. Sehun seems to know what they’re doing and sits next to Zitao to start building some kind of structure. Jongin does his best to try to play with them, but Sehun doesn’t like the way Jongin’s stacking the blocks and pushes his hands away to take over. While he’s relieved at not having to play because he has no idea how to interact with little kids that aren’t Kyungsoo, he’s still nervous on what to do with them for a few hours so he sends a message to Chanyeol, pleading for him to come by and help him out. Chanyeol takes his dear sweet time answering back, but he says that he can be over in half an hour, which is much too long for Jongin but better than nothing.

 

Jongin believes that he can make it at least half an hour without injuring the kids, but just 15 minutes later when he tries to stretch his legs out from under him, he accidentally kick over the little tower Sehun and Zitao built. When the blocks tumble to the ground, he alternates between staring in disbelief at the pile and at the toddlers who seem just as shocked. No matter how much he prays that they won’t start crying, the toddlers seemed to determined to really live out the phrase “terrible twos” and both of their faces scrunch up simultaneously before they start bawling. Zitao loves to be babied so he climbs into Jongin’s lap seeking comfort. However, Sehun goes into a full tantrum and wails louder whenever Jongin tries to get close. Because he can’t be consoled, Zitao won’t calm down either and their combined crying causes the puppy to wake up and start barking at the disturbance.

 

All his life experiences have taught him how to calm down a distressed dog, which he could use in this situation but would in no way calm down the precious lives in his hands. He bounces Zitao in his lap like he’s watched his sisters do in the past, but as he calms down, Sehun’s cries get louder until Zitao joins in again. He shifts Zitao to one arm and tries to hold Sehun with the other, but the toddler rejects any kind of contact and kicks and squirms until he’s put down.

 

“Why do people want to have kids,” he laments to himself when all his efforts are proven to be futile. Pets, for the most part, did whatever their owners told them, but he absolutely can’t deal with two human lives who are probably at the height of refusing to listen to others. He’s this close to crying when there’s finally a knock at the front door and he leaves Sehun to cry on the floor while he answers the door with Zitao clinging to him. “Help me,” he whines.

 

Chanyeol smirks a little but doesn’t tease his distressed boyfriend as he goes to where Sehun’s crying on the floor. And apparently Chanyeol’s a baby magician because just a few second after he steps into the house, Sehun is calm which quiets Zitao down and the puppy stops barking in exchange for playing with one of her chew toys. “You’re cute,” Chanyeol comments as he holds the worn-out Sehun to his chest.

 

“I don’t understand why people actually choose to have kids.” He collapses onto the couch with Zitao still clinging to him and closes his eyes. “Obviously, I should never try to raise real kids.”

 

“Kids aren’t for everyone,” Chanyeol admits. “But for some people it just takes some practice. I was terrified the first time I watched Kyungsoo by myself, and I didn’t get any sleep because I thought I had to watch him even when he was sleeping in case he stopped breathing.” Jongin snorts. “Baekhyun was an and made me read baby books about all freak accidents that could possibly kill a child.”

 

“You’re a good dad though. The first time I ever saw you with Kyungsoo, I could see how much he adored you.” Chanyeol thanks his boyfriend and kisses him before sitting beside him on the couch.

 

“And even though you’re horrible with other people’s kids, you’re also amazing with Kyungsoo and I don’t regret falling in love with you.” Jongin blushes hard and leans against Chanyeol to hide his face in his neck.

 

Chanyeol stays long enough to get the kids to fall asleep and leaves before Yixing gets back in order to protect Jongin’s pride in front of the older man. Yixing’s so pleased at how well everything seemed to go that he tells Jongin that he’ll be contacting him more often to babysit. Jongin dies a little bit inside.

 

//

 

While a vacation to an amusement park seemed to cater more to Zitao’s interest, the two of them actually get more time to spend together than they have in weeks. Both of them are moving into aspects of their jobs where they spend most of their time behind the scenes, which have them away from each other most days. Yifan’s slowly moving into the corporate side of his job and unfortunately most of his work sends him into different cities to meet with officers. Yixing has almost stop playing with his band entirely as his replacement guitarist was added as a permanent member, and Yixing picked up producing the band’s music, which led him to producing for other bands.

 

So, it’s rare that they get more than a few hours to spend together, and Yifan’s plan of tiring Zitao out with rides has given them so much more time to be just Yifan&Yixing and not Zitao’s parents. While Yifan pushes the passed out toddler in his stroller, Yixing clings onto his arm and rests his head against his shoulder.

 

“We won’t be busy like this forever, right? We haven’t had a proper date in months.”

 

Yifan kisses the top of Yixing’s head. “Just give it some time. We’re both taking on new things and we’ll be able to manage it better later.”

 

“Let’s just run away and hide in the mountains for a year,” Yixing proposes. “Just you and me, and it’ll be just like when we were dating. And we can walk around and we can have in every room and sleep in every morning.”

 

“Wouldn’t you miss Tao too much?” Yifan smiles and looks down at their son who’s starting to droll. “And we’ll miss our friends and our  jobs.

 

Yixing sighs. “I hate when you make perfect sense.”

 

When Zitao wakes up and starts to whine for food, they stop to eat at a food stand that serves a bit of everything and sit at a table away from other people. Zitao is able to feed himself the cup of grapes Yixing hands him, so the couple focuses on feeding each other and shamelessly flirting. Even though they both bought the same food, they playfully steal each other’s fries and kiss when the teasing and loving touches aren’t enough. The flirting annoys Zitao and he throws a grape at his kissing parents. They’re used to his little fits of jealousy and though and easily ignore it to continue. They’re even able to ignore his incessant whining when they start kissing on the ferris wheel, Yifan’s hand covering Zitao’s eyes in a feeble attempt to gain some privacy.

 

At the end of the day, after Zitao’s tucked into bed, they cuddle close in the suite’s master bedroom, a movie playing on the television, but they’re not paying much attention. At first the touches were innocent as Yifan played with Yixing’s fingers and Yixing explored each one of Yifan’s tattoos with his free hand. But Yixing’s hand soon wonders south and Yixing’s straddling hips, pajama bottoms still on but shirt long gone, when the bedroom door slowly creaks open.

 

With what feels like superhuman speed, Yixing is immediately off Yifan and the sheets are pulled up far enough to hide what they were about to do. Zitao blinks up at they with wide eyes, not knowing what to make of the noises he heard before or how red both of his parents’ faces are. “Are you fighting?” he asks, the only reasonable explanation his two-year-old mind can conjure.

 

“Bà ba and I were just playing a game. What’s wrong, baby?” Yifan sits up a little higher on the headboard, still careful to make sure the blanket’s covering his lap.

 

Zitao still looks skeptical that his parents were only playing, but he walks a little further into the room. “I miss Panda,” he pouts. The puppy had been sleeping on the end of his bed ever since they got her, so it’s completely understandable that the toddler would miss her presence. Yifan’s about to shoo Zitao back to bed, but then the toddler’s eyes get wider as he puts on his puppy dog expression and his trembling lower lip tells Yifan that Zitao’s getting his way tonight.

 

“Come to bed,” Yifan sighs. The adults start to separate, making room for the toddler to sleep between them, but Zitao instead climbs over Yifan and lies across Yixing’s chest. Yixing smirks at the little pout on Yifan’s face and Zitao’s back to lull him to sleep.

 

The next morning, they’re able to leave the sleeping toddler in bed in order to take a bath together in the suite’s large tub. Like a child, Yixing adds the whole bottle of the hotel’s complimentary bubble bath and uses it to give Yifan a bubble beard. “You look very distinguished. Like a handsome Santa Claus. But that might be redundant because every knows Santa Claus is already handsome.”

 

Yifan raises an eyebrow at his husband’s weird comments and gives Yixing a matching bubble beard. “I think we’ll be the most beautiful old couple ever. Assuming that over the next thirty years we’ll just grow bubble beards. Yixing giggles and leans forward to kiss Yifan. After the bubbles fade away, Yixing maneuvers so he can lie back against Yifan’s chest and moves Yifan’s arms around his waist.

 

“I love being with you like this.” Yixing runs his fingers up and down Yifan’s arms. “I read that toddlers gradually get more and more independent, but it feels that Zitao’s doing the opposite.”

 

“He’ll grow out of it soon enough.”

 

You didn’t wake up with his on your face.”

 

“True, but soon he’ll be ready for preschool and maybe he’ll meet some friends and will want to spend all his time with them.” The water’s long gone cold so Yifan nudges Yixing until he stands up and grabs one of the fluffy hotel towels to wrap around his husband. Yixing passively stands in the middle of the bathroom while Yifan towels him off and helps into the swanky hotel bathrobe. “And once that happens, we’ll be able to go on a real honeymoon with just the two of us.” Yifan leans forward to give Yifan a slow kiss.

 

“Mmm, I’d like that.” Yixing smiles and pulls Yifan back to kiss him again, but as usual, they’re interrupted by their son who wakes and starts to cry because he’s alone. “Just you and me,” Yixing repeats. “I can’t wait.”


Prompts:
Kai babysitting TaoHun: 
feng_hua
Tao almost walking in on Fanxing's y time: mari_038
Date with or without Tao (of course there's more Fanxing dates to come): leolliepop

Now that I'm back into the swing of things, I feel a kid chapter coming up~

Also, after year 3, I'm going to start doing some major time jumps so if there are any toddler!Tao prompts you really like to see, they'll need to be covered in the next few chapters. This story was requested by my lovely subscribers and I want to make sure I'm writing what you want! And feel free to leave comments! I'm finally free enough where I have time to answer all comments.