5 years Part 2

Sunday Morning Kisses: Growing Up

So I apologize for this being super late, but RL got in the way -_- But on the bright side it's 4.1k words! This a Cliffs' notes version of the wedding, and I hope to have a full version written soon.


“Are you excited about getting married?” Jongin pauses from making Kyungsoo’s lunch to look over at Baekhyun who’s sitting at the kitchen island watching him.

 

“Of course. Chanyeol’s my best friend, and I’m excited to spend the rest of my life with him.” He goes back to making lunch but feels a little nervous with Baekhyun watching him so intently.

 

Baekhyun picks up a baby carrot to eat while he sits watching. “I’m planning to take Kyungsoo to a movie tomorrow.”

 

Jongin frowns. “Tomorrow’s the night Kyungsoo and I always spend together.”

 

“Yeah, Chanyeol told me, but I figured since I’m in town for only a few days, you wouldn’t mind.”

 

In this case, Jongin would usually just purse his lips and let Baekhyun do as he pleased. But Baekhyun’s barely been back a couple of days, and he’s already disrupted most of their daily routines. “Tuesday nights are really important for me and Kyungsoo, and I’m sure you can survive one night apart from him.”

 

For once, Baekhyun looks speechless, as Jongin has never disagreed with him face to face. Often, he got word from Chanyeol about how he may have offended Jongin, but never from the man himself. “Well, I think that you can survive one night apart from him as he’s my son and I haven’t seen him for over eight months.”

 

Jongin bites the inside of his cheek and shakes his head. “Okay. Whatever. Even though I’m the one who’s held him at night when he cried for you these past two years, and even though I’m the one he comes to about problems at school, you’re always going to hold the fact that he’s not blood related to me over my head.”

 

Baekhyun has no time for a scathing retort because Kyungsoo comes into the kitchen, looking for his lunch. Even though he can feel that he walked in on something, he smiles at Baekhyun and Jongin as he grabs his plate.  “Thank you, Hyung.” He gives Jongin a hug and sits at the kitchen table to eat.

 

Baekhyun storms off, probably to complain to Chanyeol, but Jongin tries not to let it bother him. He grabs his own plate and sits next to Kyungsoo. “Are you excited about riding go-carts tomorrow?”

 

Kyungsoo nods and takes a bite of his sandwich. “If I do good, will you teach me how to drive a car?”

 

“I’ll have to ask Chanyeol about that. He may not appreciate me teaching his nine year old how to drive.”

 

“But you’re my dad too.” Jongin’s heart completely swells at Kyungsoo’s words and he has to resist the urge to smother him with hugs and kisses.

 

“You’re a great kid,” he eventually settles on. “I know you’re already the ring bearer, but do you think you could sing that same song you did for my birthday?” Kyungsoo blushes, feeling a bit embarrassed as he thinks back to the song he worked hard to prepare for Jongin’s birthday. But he likes to see his Hyung happy so he agrees to perform for him. “I don’t think I could have ever asked for a better stepson than you, Kyungsoo.”

 

The nine-year-old turns even more red and hides his face in his hands. “Stoooop.”

 

//

 

“I hope you’re not here to complain about Jongin.” Chanyeol doesn’t even have to turn around to know that Baekhyun’s in a venting mood when he suddenly walks into Jongin’s home studio. “Whatever he said to you, it was probably warranted.”

 

Baekhyun huffs and cross his arms. “Every time I talk to him, I tell myself to be nice, but I always come out… catty, I guess.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“Do you and Kyungsoo need me?” he suddenly asks. “I mean, is there something I can offer that Jongin can’t?”

 

Chanyeol raises his eyebrows. “Uhm, you know I’m getting married next week. You’re way to late to-“

 

“I don’t mean it like that.” Baekhyun lets out an exasperated sigh and brings a hand up to rub his forehead. “Believe me, I know we’re way past ever getting together. I just want to know if either of you need me as a parent. Is Kyungsoo growing up fine without me here?”

 

“Well,” Chanyeol starts. “I think if you had stayed, he might be a little less reserved than he is. And he does really love seeing you when you visit. I don’t want to say ‘but’, but Jongin’s really good at connecting with Kyungsoo emotionally. Of course Kyungsoo will always need you because you’re his Appa, but he’s growing up, being a little more independent, and he’s gotten used to you not being here all the time.”

 

Baekhyun nods silently and picks at his fingernails. “Junmyeon hyung and I had a fight before I came over. We’d been getting along 1000 times better than we did here, and he thought maybe it was a sign that we should stay. But the deal when we left was that we would move away for a couple of years to try to work things out and come back.”

 

“So you bought a plane ticket and came all the way to China to get away from him?”

 

“Not exactly. I just wanted to have some proof that Kyungsoo really needs me back fulltime, but Jongin…”

 

“He’s great with Kyungsoo, which doesn’t leave you a reason to come back.” Baekhyun nods sadly. “Well, if you don’t like Korea so much, shouldn’t Junmyeon hyung take that into consideration?”

 

“But that’s the thing. I love being back in Korea with him and being able to see my parents, but I feel guilty for not being with Kyungsoo.”

 

Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun’s cheek and pulls him into a hug. “We could always clone you so Junmyeon Hyung can have you and Kyungsoo could keep you in his closet. But I think until we have the technology, we’ll be fine with you flying out for his birthday, and him flying over in the summer.”

 

“Being an adult ,” Baekhyun groans. “Why did I ever sleep with you?”

 

“Because I was an incredibly, enticing, y teenaged model.”

 

Baekhyun scoffs and pushes Chanyeol while chuckling. “God, I’m so glad I didn’t marry you.”

 

//

 

“If we’re going all the way with pretending we met at the wedding, we should leave our rings off for the night.”

 

Yifan groans. “Can we not? You tend to get hit on when people can’t see your ring.”

 

“No, I don’t.”

 

“You do, but sometimes you’re a little dense when it comes to recognizing you’re being hit on. Besides, you’re part of the wedding party so everyone will be ogling you, and you always have this innocent, ‘come corrupt me’ look.”

 

Yixing laughs and makes sure his suit’s nice and wrinkle free. “Okay, I’ll wear it to the wedding, but I’m taking it off afterwards so that we’re fully committing, okay?” He stands on his top toes to give Yifan a kiss. “See you later, stranger.”

 

After Yixing’s out the door to get ready with the rest of the wedding party, Yifan’s charged with the task of making sure that Zitao’s dressed and ready. He finds the five-year-old lying on the living room floor, complaining that he didn’t want to get dressed up if Sehun couldn’t come.

 

“Come on, Taozi. If you don’t get all nice and dressed up, Bà ba will be mad at me.” He picks Zitao up by his arms, and the five-year-old stays completely limp and refuses to stand on his feet. “Tao, stop.”

 

“I don’t wanna gooooo!”

 

“Well, you don’t have a choice.”

 

“Yes, I doooooo!”

 

“Wu Zitao,” he snaps. Zitao knows that Yifan is serious and stands up on his own. “Today is not the day to whine until you get your way. Today is all about Chanyeol and Jongin, so I need you to be on your best behavior.”

 

Zitao stares at the ground and nods his head. “Sorry, Pa pa…”

 

“I love you, but we have to be serious today. And after the ceremony, you get to play with Sehun for the rest of the day.” He kisses the top of Zitao’s head and takes him back to his room to finish dressing him up.

 

The five-year-old is very well-behaved as they get him dressed, and he barely even protests when Yifan puts him into his booster seat when they leave for the wedding. He usually grows very quiet after being scolded, and Yifan has to resist the urge to apologize so the boy doesn’t grow up to be even more spoiled. Zitao starts to be more of his talkative, hyper self when they get to the wedding venue as he feels the need to tell everyone they come across that his Bà ba is in the wedding, but he’s not the one getting married because he’s already married to his Pa pa.

 

When the actual ceremony starts, Yifan can barely keep him quiet after Yixing walks past them. Zitao can’t possibly fathom why his Bà ba isn’t paying attention to him when they’re in the same room. He whines through half the vows but quiets down when Yixing finally smiles at him and quickly presses a finger to his lips to quiet the little boy down.

 

Despite the impatient boy’s whining, the wedding’s beautiful and the vows have several people in tears, including Junmyeon who’d come to town just a few days earlier with his and Baekhyun’s three-year-old. The toddler seems just as curious as Zitao but stays quiet on her as long as she’s sitting in Junmyeon’s lap.

 

After the wedding, all the guests head to the reception that’s just in a different room of the wedding venue, so thankfully the wait isn’t too long as the few children there are growing impatient and hungry. Luckily, Yifan’s prepared for Zitao’s incessant whines that he’s hungry so he produces a box of raisins from his pocket for him. Surprisingly, when Junmyeon comes over with Taeyeon to catch up, Zitao shares with the little girl. By the time the reception room is set up the two kids are happily playing together, and Taeyeon decides that she likes him enough to hold his hand. Kyungsoo sees this once the wedding party enters and quickly detaches their hands.

 

As both of the grooms are Korean, the reception dinner consists mainly of traditional Korean food, and Zitao whines incessantly that it tastes funny until Yixing finally comes over to force him to eat silently. At this point, Yixing’s already into the act of them not knowing each other and starts off innocently flirting while Zitao’s around. Once Zitao disappears after dinner to dance with Kyungsoo, the flirting increases and Yixing’s hand finds its way to Yifan’s thigh under the table.

 

Others around them are unaware of their little game while the wedding party and guests start to fill the dance floor. At first the couples stay together; Chanyeol with Jongin and Junmyeon with Baekhyun. But as the night presses on Taeyeon and Kyungsoo end up dancing with their parents, in Kyungsoo’s case all four of them, and Yifan lets Zitao dance on his feet while Yixing and Baekhyun have some sort of odd dance battle.

 

Eventually, Yixing comes over and slips a hotel card key into Yifan’s back pocket. “Meet me at the hotel in an hour.” Before Yifan can register the kiss his husband places on his neck, Yixing’s picking up their tired son from under a table, where he’d been playing with Taeyeon, and leaving to take him to Sehun’s house.

 

Yifan may not have been all that into this roleplay thing, but he’s definitely looking forward to whatever Yixing has planned for the evening.

 

//

 

The newlyweds are happily chatting and flirting together as the guests start to dwindle and the music turns slow. They’ve been so focused on each other that they’re both taken aback when Baekhyun approaches them and asks for a moment with Jongin. Chanyeol looks skeptical and hesitant to leave his husband with his ex, but Baekhyun promises that he’ll be nice and that he only needs a few minutes.

 

“Congratulations,” Baekhyun starts as he sits down. “You look very handsome.”

 

Jongin feels like there’s some sort of catch to Baekhyun being nice with him and shifts uncomfortably in his seat. “Thank you, Hyung. I enjoyed your best man’s speech.”

 

Baekhyun nods and drums his fingers on the table. “So, I know I’ve been a jerk to you, pretty much since we met.” Jongin shrugs. “You can agree; every knows it. And it’s not because I think you’re a bad person. You’re probably one of the sweetest guys I’ve ever met, and I had no right to automatically be hostile to you.”

 

“It’s alright; I know why you did it.”

 

“No, it was really ty of me to do that to you, and I want to sincerely apologize and maybe call a truce?” Baekhyun holds out his hand for Jongin to take.

 

Jongin smiles a little and shakes Baekhyun’s hand. “Thank you. That really means a lot to me.”

 

“You better keep Chanyeol and Kyungsoo happy, or I won’t hesitate to take a plane over here to kick your .” Baekhyun stands up and pats Jongin on the back before heading over to sit next to his own husband. Junmyeon smiles sweetly at him and leans over to kiss him. Whatever problems they had, seemed to have worked out. When he sees that Baekhyun’s gone, Chanyeol comes back to sit with his new husband.

 

“Was he nice? And don’t lie; I’ll beat him up if I need to.”

 

Jongin laughs and shakes his head. “He was actually really nice to me, believe it or not.”

 

“Mmhmm,” Chanyeol looks thoughtful as he looks over at Baekhyun who’s once again heading to the floor to dance with a still fully awake Kyungsoo. The nine-year-old looks happier than he has in weeks as he dances with his dad. Though he’s happy living with Chanyeol and Jongin, there’s a different kind of happiness he feels when he’s with Baekhyun. Naturally, after being under Baekhyun’s primary custody for most of his life, being with him is familiar and makes him feel comfortable. But he does his best to understand why Baekhyun can’t be with him all the time and make the most of living with Chanyeol and Jongin. But the fact is that he’s still little and can’t stop pining for Baekhyun.

 

Soon, Baekhyun and Junmyeon wrangle up Kyungsoo and Taeyeon to take them to their hotel room for a few nights to let the newlyweds have some time alone. After another half hour or so, the rest of the guests finally disappear, and the two grooms head to their honeymoon suite, fingers linked tightly together.

 

//

 

Minseok’s amused as Luhan yells at Jongdae for not following all the rules of their soccer game. He’s not so amused that Luhan’s yelling at their new friend, but somehow Jongdae’s Chinese became near perfect when he snaps back at Luhan.

 

“It’s the number one rule! Don’t touch the ball with your hands! How hard is that?!”

 

“Well, if you would stop aiming at my head, I wouldn’t have to touch the ball!”

 

“Maybe if your face wasn’t so annoying, I wouldn’t want to kick a ball at it!”

 

When they first started bickering soon after Luhan finally agreed to hang out with Jongdae, Minseok tried to keep them from tearing into each other too much. But now, he realizes, it’s useless to try to prevent their daily, sometimes hourly, fights. Honestly, he’s surprised that Luhan hasn’t tried to chase him away.

 

“Guys, can we get back to our game?” Minseok knows that if he lets them, the two will argue forever.

 

“I don’t know, can we?” They both retort in their native language, glaring at each other.

 

Minseok sighs and physically separates the two. “Come on, we have to go home soon.” Luhan and Jongdae shoot each other mean glares than get back to playing their game. After finishing their game, in which Jongdae “accidentally” kicks Luhan’s leg instead of the ball, they walk back to Luhan’s house. Luhan’s dad gives them all snacks before telling them that he’s driving Jongdae back home, meaning Luhan had to be with him for the length of a car ride. Naturally, Luhan protests and tries to get Minseok to ride along too, but Minseok knows that Sehun often sits in front of their door until he comes home so he can’t keep him waiting.

 

As he heads back to his house, Minseok watches Luhan and Jongdae shove each other as they get into the backseat of the car. Without Minseok there to mediate, he worries that Luhan’s dad might not survive the ride. But he figures his work for the day is done as he enters his house and Sehun runs into his arms.

 

//

 

After finding out that Jongdae lives along their route to and from school, he starts joining Minseok, Luhan, and Kyungsoo on the walk there. In addition to Jongdae’s regular classes, he has to spend every afternoon taking Chinese courses to improve his speech, so he spends every bit of the trip to school constantly talking. While Minseok’s engaged in the conversation, Luhan’s distracted by looking back at Kyungsoo who’s trailing behind them as usual.

 

“You two can go ahead; I want to talk to Kyungsoo.”

 

Minseok gives Luhan a stern look. “Don’t bully him; he’s still upset.”

 

Luhan huffs in exasperation. “I’m not gonna do anything to him. I just need to tell him something.” Minseok still looks skeptical, but he holds onto Jongdae and quickens their pace a little. Luhan will deal with that later.

 

“Kyungsoo.” The nine-year-old has been staring at the ground up to this point and seems surprised to see that he and Luhan have fallen behind the other two. “You okay?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugs. “You never ask how I am. Are you gonna hit me or something?”

 

“Why does everyone think I’m a bully?” Luhan rolls his eyes. “I’m actually trying to make you feel better, you dwarf.” Kyungsoo scowls. “You know I have two stepparents too, right?”

 

“Really?” Kyungsoo knows that Luhan’s mom is Korean, but he always assumed that Luhan was half-Korean.

 

“Well, my dad married my stepmom when I was a baby, so she’s basically my real mom. My mom, the one who had me, doesn’t really like to talk to me. She got married when I was eight, but she didn’t invite us.” Luhan frowns. “I tried to call her once, but her husband, my stepdad I guess, told me not to call again.”

 

“Do you miss her?”

 

Luhan just shrugs as a reply. “What I’m trying to say is that sometimes real parents and sometimes stepparents too. You’re lucky that both of yours are awesome and love you. Even if you can’t see them all the time, it’s good that they want to see you whenever they can.”

 

Kyungsoo nods, feeling a little better and smiles up at Luhan. “Thank you.”

 

“No problem, midget.” Luhan pats his head and runs off to catch up with Minseok and Jongdae.

 

//

 

“Ready to clean?” Yixing rests his hands on his hips and looks down at the two five-year-olds who are holding hands. It’s a warm Saturday afternoon, perfect for a little bit of spring-cleaning followed by a trip to the ice cream parlor. Originally, Yixing planned to do some cleaning while watching after the two kids, but he figures he can cover more ground with them helping, and it’s not really child labor if he gives them ice cream after. Zitao looks excited to help out because it gets him closer to eating ice cream, while Sehun looks indifferent and only volunteers to help so he can stay close to his best friend.

 

“You two will clean Taozi’s room and put all the toys away, okay?”

 

“Okay!” Zitao runs to his room, pulling Sehun behind him. Yixing gets to cleaning his and Yifan’s bedroom, making sure to move every piece of furniture to be thorough.

 

Meanwhile, instead of cleaning up Zitao’s room, the boys are predictably distracted and play with toy cars and legos instead. Sehun builds a tower while Zitao races back and forth across his room. Panda, who’s curled on Zitao’s bed, opens her eyes and blinks sleepily at the two boys. They’re much too loud for her to take a nap, so she hops off the bed and leaves the room to look for a quiet place to sleep.

 

“My mom said that when you get married, you get lots of presents. More than Christmas.” Sehun had asked his mom about weddings after Zitao came over after Chanyeol’s and Jongin’s. From what he heard about, weddings were something everyone should do all the time.

 

“But you have to kiss and stuff.” Zitao pulls a face at the thought of how his parents kiss all the time. “And I get lots of presents on my birthday.” Being an extremely spoiled only child definitely has its advantages.

 

Sehun shrugs while he continues building his tower. “When I’m big, I wanna marry Luhan ge.”

 

Zitao stops playing and pouts at Sehun. “Why not me?” He doesn’t like the idea of getting married, but he’s sad that his best friend wouldn’t want to marry him.

 

“Cos I like Luhan ge more,” he states matter-of-factly. Zitao whines and lies facedown on the ground. He’s so used to getting everything he wants that he doesn’t understand why he can’t get Sehun to like him the most. Sehun watches him whine for a few minutes and throws a lego at him when he gets annoyed. “I like Luhan ge more, but if he dies you can be number one, I guess.”

 

Zitao turns his head to look at Sehun. “Really?”

 

“I guess.” Sehun turns his attention back to building a tower, but his non-committal seems to be enough for Zitao who goes back to playing.

 

A few hours later, the entire house, save for Zitao’s room, is spotless, but Yixing’s still frantically moving furniture back and forth when Yifan comes in from work. Yixing’s so busy searching that he jumps a foot into the air when he feels arms wrap around his waist. “What are you looking for?”

 

Yixing turns to face his husband and shoots him a nervous smile, which is hidden behind the face mask he put on while cleaning. “Um, nothing?”

 

“You sound very sure of yourself.” Yifan kisses Yixing through the mask and pulls it down to kiss him again. “Tell me; I can help look.”

 

Yixing pulls away from Yifan’s arms and looks down at the ground. “You have to promise not to be mad at me.”

 

“Do I ever get mad at you?” He takes Yixing’s hands in his and rubs the back of them with his thumb.

 

“I lost my wedding ring,” he quietly admits. “I took it off at the wedding, and I thought I brought it back here afterwards, but I’ve gone through the whole house, and I can’t find it. You have every right to be mad at me; I’m so sorry.” He can’t even look Yifan in the eye because he’s so upset about losing his ring. He know he’s a bit forgetful, but there’s no way he can laugh off losing something so important.

 

“I already know, Xing. You don’t take your ring off for anything, and I haven’t seen it since the wedding. So, either you’re cheating on me, which is unlikely. Or that forgetful head of yours doesn’t remember where you put your ring.

 

Yixing looks shocked for a moment before he punches Yifan’s arm. “Why didn’t you tell me you knew! I’ve been tearing the house up for days looking for it!”

 

“Because I want you to trust that I won’t be mad at you for losing it. Yes, it’s our wedding ring, but it can be replaced. We’ll buy another one, alright?”

 

Yixing nods and kisses Yifan. “You’re too perfect and I hate you for it. But even though I lost my ring, we had fun after the wedding, right?”

 

Yifan agrees and pulls Yixing back into his arms. “Yes, it was, but I really wish you hadn’t sung the entire Power Rangers theme song afterwards.”

 

“You wouldn’t act my Power Ranger fantasy, so I had to settle with the theme song.”

 

Yifan shakes his head and rolls his eyes. “Okay, we can do the Power Rangers thing tonight, but please don’t use the words ‘Megazord’, ‘Zordon’, or ‘Morphin’ time.’”

 

“You take the fun out of everything.” Yixing stomps to their bedroom and lies facedown to sulk.


Prompts:

Tao being scolded by Yifan: uranus13xxx 

Sorry, I've been terrible at prompts lately -_- I promise to get back to them and add more to my list as you suggest them :)

And I apologize that Fanxing y times got cut because it was taking me too long to write this.

Comment? Upvote? Complain that I take too long to update?