Chapter 2

Killer Instinct

"BOSS!" Chansung was starting to feel somewhat annoyed that he wasn’t getting any reaction from his boss. It wasn’t often he was this lost in his mind. Fortunately, he knew just what to do to get his hyungs attention. He leaned closer to Boss and said in a low voice:

“Wooyoung” To call your Boss by his name was not allowed, and if you were caught you would be punished. But Chansung didn’t care, he was getting sick of yelling “Boss” and “Hyung”. What happened next actually made Chansung’s lips lift up a little in what could have been the start of a almost-half smile. Wooyoung was so startled to hear his name that he fell of his chair and landed on the hardwood floor.

“YAH! HWANG CHANSUNG!”  Wooyoung looked up at Chansung with an angry look.

“Don’t do that! You know you’re not allowed. I should punish you, punch you in the face till I broke every bone in it!” Chansung only looked at him and asked the question that was on his mind:

“What did this man do? It’s not in the report.” Boss looked at him angrily as he rubbed his soar .

“How should I know? It’s The Commander who gives us our targets, and it’s our job to as we’re told without asking questions!” Wooyoung’s voice was angry, still feeling ashamed that Chansung didn’t take his threat of punishment seriously. He had treated this kid too nicely. But he had actually been thinking the same thing. Many of their targets lately seemed unimportant compared to who they usually dealt with. He had even dared to talk of those thoughts to The Commander. The Commander had just looked at him with piercing eyes and said in a cold voice:

“They need a need a new boss in unit 63, their old one started asking questions.” That had shot Wooyoung mouth pretty quick and he would never dare to do that again.

“…Boss? Are you gone again?” Chansung was waving his hand infront of Boss’s eyes.

“Hmm? No, just remembered something. What where you saying?”

“I said that this seems like a very low risk job, why make me do it?” Chansung didn’t like it when other people praised him up as the number one hitman, but he knew he was pretty damn good at this job. He never questioned anything (up until now) and he never took a break. Many of the other employees need a break from time to time, killing people isn’t easy.  Chansung had killed over 200 people in his time at The Company, and he just kept on going, never failing.

“They want this done with pretty fast, and they don’t want to risk anything after the whole Park incident.” Chansung nodded in silent agreement. Jay Park had been a trainee with him. He was three years older, but they made the final test and became employees at the same time. So did Junho, the three of them were really close, and people used to just call them The Trio.

Three months ago Jay had messed up on a assignment, pretty bad.  His target was a Chinese politician, and before he had left to take care him they had joked about his assignment.

“This is such an easy target, even a trainee in his second year can do it.” Junho had pinched Jay jokingly and laughed at him.

“Shut ut! As if you could have killed a cat in your second year of training. You peed yourself when you were forced to fight with a sword!” Chansung just kept quiet whenever the two of them were at each other like this. They were only joking, but Chansung never joked about anything. Even so, both Jay and Junho loved Chansung and being in his company, even if he was seriouse all the time.

“Stop it, Jay. There must be a reason why he has to die, and you know what happens with those who start to doubt The Company.” Chansung hadn't even lifted his eyes from the report he was reading as he spoke. He couldn’t have known that three months later he would have the same doubts, and that that was the last conversion the three of them would ever have togheter. 

Chansung didn’t know all of the details, but something went wrong during the job. The target disappeared, as was normal, but so did Jay. He didn’t show up at the rendezvous point and nobody had heard from him in over a week. Then the investigators who were looking into the matter of the disappeared politician found Jay’s finger prints on the crime scene. When they found out that the prints matched a south-korean criminal who supposedly was executed 11 years ago the story was all over the news. Suddenly they found pictures of Jay all over the world, where someone had been killed, and people began asking questions. Jay was nowhere to be found, he had gone off the grid, and unit 13 was on lock down. After 3 weeks of intense searching, a team from unit 3 found him and his target on an island just outside Hawaii. The target was killed on sight, but Jay was brought in for questioning. When you mess up that bad there’s no way a little beating is enough punishment, so it was decided that Jay was to be killed. It fell to Chansung to finish him off.

After a lifetime of hiding his emotions from the world, never showing what you truly felt, it was harder than he had thought to walk into the room where they had locked up Jay. Chansung would gladly have given this job to someone else, but that someone else would have been Junho, and he knew Junho could’ve never done it. And when Junho had failed he would have been killed too, and some of the other guys in their group would kill off them both. Chansung knew they would pick some of the lesser ones, the ones who took their time with their victims before killing them, in a not so merciful way. As he walked in, Jay had lifted his head, and his eyes had shown nothing but gratitude. And Chansung knew that it was because it was he who got the job. Everyone knew that Chansung was merciful when it came to killing; it was quick, clean and painless. When he got closer to Jay he could see that he’s body was covered in bruises; he’s left eye was so swollen he could probably not see through it, both of he’s kneecaps seemed to have been dislocated and his right arm wrist was broken.

“I’m so sorry, brother.” Jay’s voice was just a whisper, but Chansung could hear every word clearly. “I’m sorry I failed you all, and that it has come to this.”

Chansung was trying hard not to let the sadness he felt show on his face.

“Why, hyung? Why did you do it?” Jay lifted his left hand and let it trace Chansungs jaw.

“I can’t explain it to you, no matter what I say or how I say it you would never understand. If this ever happens to you, Chansung. I hope your smarter than me.”

“Smarter? Do you mean killing the target?”

“No.” Chansung waited for Jay to tell him, but the answer never came.

“Do you know that they killed him as he was lying in my arms?” Chansung looked at his hyung, tried to read his expression, but Jay was looking at the wall to his right, and only his swollen eye was in Chansungs sight. But he could see that he was smiling sadly.

“I’m glad. I’m glad they killed him quick, so he didn’t have to go through this. At least he got four more weeks of life, and I hope they were the best four weeks of his life, as they were for me.” Chansung tried to remember what the report had said about this, he couldn’t remember reading about how the target was killed, or what Jay and the target had been doing on the island. 

“When I’m gone, I want you to remember me as I was before all this, but also who I am today. And, when you do think of me, please think of Tao as well. I don’t want him to be forgotten. Please, promise me this.” Jay was now looking at Chansung with pleading eyes, and Chansung knew that he couldn’t say no to his hyung, to his last request.

“Yes, I promise.” Chansung was fighting so hard with his emotions at this point that his voice had turned into a whisper. He didn’t dare trying to say anything else, afraid his voice would break and he’s emotions being shown. Jay seemed to notice this, and they both knew their little conversation was being recorded, knowing that if Chansung's face showed any emotions, he too would be killed. So he let his hand fall down from Chansungs face and said:

“I’m ready now.” He smiled warmly at Chansung before he lowered his head and closed his eyes.

Chansung looked at his hyung, and suddenly he felt hopeless. He didn’t know what the right thing to do at this moment was. He reached for his gun, and brought it up at Jay’s head. As he pulled the trigger, only one thing went through his mind:

“This is wrong.” 

 

 

**********************************

 

Hellloooo! I wasn't going to post this, it was going to be longer. Buuut, I just couldn't wait, so sorry if its too short !  I would like to thank all of you for subscribing, and for commenting, I'll answer them tomorrow ^^ THANK YOU again for reading this story, it means a lot to me ^^)  And sorry that Khun hasn't showed up yet, don't worry, he's coming soon, maybe not the in next chapteres, but soon ! :D