Chapter 7

Killer Instinct

Chansung was still sitting there, as if his body and mind had stopped working. The knocking intensified.

"Yah! Open up!"

"!" Chansung rose to his feet and he could feel the panic rising in his body.

"Who's that?"

"My co-worker” There was another knock on the door.

"Taecyon is here as well. We thought we could celebrate your victory and have dinner together before you went off on your holiday." 

"Come on, you have to hide, they think your dead" Chansung grabbed Nichkhun's arm and pulled him with him towards the bedroom. He pulled him in the closet and in to his hidden room. 

"Just stay here, and lock the door from the inside. I don't know how long this will take; I'll try to get writ of them as soon as I can. There are some snacks and bottles of water under your bed. And stay quiet." They stood there for a while just looking at each other. Chansung was waiting for a sign from Nichkhun that he understood what Chansung had said to him. 

"Well, if I'm going to hide here you'll have to let go of my hand." Chansung looked down and saw that their hands were still intertwined. He dropped the hand and went out of the room. 

"Remember, don't make a sound." He closed the door, leaned his forehead against the door and closed his eyes. The hand that had hold onto Nichkhun's hand all of a sudden felt odd, like it was missing something. Another series of knocks on the door brought him back to reality. He ran out of his bedroom and was on his way to the door when he noticed there were two cups on his table. He took on and threw it in garbage bin. That would have been hard to explain.

 

"Chansung! I'm pulling out my spare key and coming in now!" Chansung rushed to the door and pulled it up.

"Finally!" Junho and Taecyeon nearly fell in through the door when Chansung opened it. 

"What took you so long?" Junho said as he picked up the grocery bags on the floor.

"Sorry, was taking a nap and had to put on some clothes. What is that?"

"We know you too well my friend, and one thing we know is that you never have anything besides ramen in your kitchen" Chansung looked at the bags, there were so many of them it looked like they were going to make dinner for the whole unit. 

"Thanks for that guys, but I've already eaten and I was thinking about going to bed early."

"Oh no, Mr," Junho pointed a finger at him. "You're not getting away from us; we want to hear everything about what you did with the policeman and what you're going to do on your holiday!" And with that he strode off into the kitchen and started preparing for dinner. Taecyeon gave Chansung a friendly pat on the back.

"Sorry, I tried to stop him from buying the whole store, I failed. His plan is to leave it all here just to make sure you don't starve to death." 

"Well, I'm taking a shower so you two can make dinner!" 

"No!" Junho suddenly turned around. "Taecyeon is not allowed in the kitchen. He nearly burned down our appartement when he was making coffee! How is that even possible?" Junho and Taecyeon started arguing, and Chansung took the opportunity to disappear into his room. 

 

Chansung was about to go into the bathroom when suddenly Taecyeon came in and closed the door behind him. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I want to see him"

"Who?" 

"That Nichkhun guy, I know you have him here" Chansung didn't know what to say. How was it that Taecyeon seemed to know everything?

"I know what you’re thinking; 'how does he know everything?' Well, you know I do surveillance, and for the past week I've been looking out for you." 

"You have what!?" Chansung shouted out in anger. How dare he! He thought Taecyeon was his friend, and then he does this! "Who gave you the right to spy on me? Aren't we friends?" Taecyeon approached Chansung, but he took a step back. He was not going to calm down so easily. He couldn’t remember ever feeling such anger as he did now.

"Boss gave me the right, your boss, not mine. We were worried about you, Chansung. And we both knew that you couldn't kill this man when you knew he was innocent." 

"So, what now? Are you here to finish him off for me?" If there was one thing Chansung was certain of, it was that he wouldn't let anybody hurt Nichkhun. He didn't know why, but he felt protective of the Thai. 

"You insult me, Chansung. Do you really think I'm the kind of man to kill an innocent man? I couldn't do that more then you or Junho could. The Commander's mistake was to give you the job, he just looked at your reports, how efficient you were, and not the person you really are! Had he known you like we do, he wouldn't have given you this job. Boss tried to make him choose someone else, because he knew deep inside that you wouldn't be able to pull this job off, but The Commander wanted you, and you only! Please, Chansung, belive me when I say we only want to help you." Chansung couldn't believe it. They knew, his friends knew, and they would help him. It was hard to believe, impossible actually. He wanted to believe it so badly, if he had some help it might be easier for them. But then again, the reason Chansung had survived after his family abandoned him was because he trusted no one but himself. 

"How can I trust you?" 

"We're your friends, and you just have to believe us, because that's what friends do. And we, all three of us, will do all we can to help you." 

"Three?" Chansung looked up and saw Junho standing in the doorway. 

"I'm not losing you too, Chansung. I barely made it when Jay died, what would I do without you?" Chansung's eyes started itching, and a tear ran down his cheek. 

"Hwang, are you crying? Don't go soft on me now." Taecyeon put his hand on Changsubg's shoulder and pulled him in for a hug. Chansung cleared his throat and pushed Taecyeon gently away. 

"I still don't know if I should trust you, but the truth is I have to, my plan weren't the best plan, and with you guys on my side it'll make it easier.” Taecyeon and Junho started bouncing up and down while they were laughing and hugging each other. Chansung just looked at them. “Stop that! Or I’ll change my mind. God, you two are acting like two kids.”

"Can we see the Thai man now?" Junho was so excited he was still bouncing up and down. 

"Just one thing first, hand over your guns." 

"Why?"

"Because, Ok, I don't want you shooting him the moment that door opens." Junho handed his over, and Taecyeon just stood there. "You too"

"I didn't bring it with me"

"Of course you did, you always have your gun with you."

"Not today"

“I don’t believe that!” They continued arguing like that for 5 minutes. Junho was getting impatient.

"Yah! Just search him, Chansung, I want to meet the man before the dinner is ready!" It ended with Chansung apologizing rather reluctantly (Junho forced him) to Taecyeon and they moved towards the closet. 

Chansung knocked on the door and waited for Nichkhun to answer. 

 

****

 

Nichkhun had heard Chansung yelling at someone, but he couldn't hear what they were saying. It had been quiet for some time when there was a knock on the door. He was about to answer when a thought came to him; what if it wasn't Chansung? What if someone from this company thing had figured it out, taken Chansung down and was now knocking on his door? Damn it, why didn't they have a secret code? He just sat there on his bed and looked at the door. There was another knock on the door followed by Chansung's voice.

"Nichkhun, it's me, open up." Nichkhun let out the breath he didn't know he'd been holding and walked to the door. 

"Finally," he said as he fumbled with the lock. "What took you so long? I have to pee like an elephant, and there was no way I'd pee in that cup you left here when you...." He stopped as he saw that Chansung wasn't alone. Right behind him he could see a man trying to lock over Chansung's shoulder too look at him, he had black hair and a cute face. Right outside the closet there stood another man, and Nichkhun recognised him at once; the one who had been following him before Chansung. Fear shot through his body like an arrow; where they going to kill him now? He tried to see if anything had changed in Chansungs face, but he had turned into a brick wall again. 

"Ehm, hello?"

"Oh, my, goooood, Channie! He's adorable!" The little man pushed Chansung away (witch surprised Nichkhun seeing that Chansung looked twice as big as him), grabbed Nichkhun's hands and started shaking them. 

"I'm Junho!" Junho looked at him with innocent, sparkling eyes and a smile so bright all Nichkhun could do was return the smile and shake the hand back. 

"I'm Nichkhun"

"Oh, I know. We've seen Chansung so troubled over the last few weeks because of you, you know, whether or not he should kill you. It was so fun to see! And Taecyeon here thought I didn't notice, pabo! I think you're going to be good for our little Channie!" Junho laughed after that as he saw the piercing look Chansung was sending him. Nichkhun laughed too.

"Little is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I see him"

"Well, he's the youngest here so I think we can call him that."

"Youngest?" This made no sense, Chansung looked to be older than him. 

"You’re only older than me by a few months, Junho!" Nobody listened to Chansung's protests. 

"Well, I'm hungry. Let's talk over dinner!" Junho dragged the still puzzled Nichkhun out of the closet, through the bedroom and placed him on one of the chairs. Within minutes the table was set and filled with food. "Dig in!"

 

An hour later they were seated in the couch, each with a cup of coffee in their hands, and talking. Nichkhun felt relaxed, he was seated in the middle of Junho and Chansung on the couch, Taecyeon was sitting on the floor. Whenever his hand touched Chansung's it felt like little spark of electricity were going back and forth between them. 

"Taecyeon, are you working in the same unit as Junho and Chansung?" 

"No, killing people isn't really my thing" 

"As if killing people is my thing!" Junho shot Taecyeon a poisonous glare. "But it feels good to remove bad people from the face of the earth"

"Yeah, maybe not you, but your co-worker here is Mr. Perfect-Hitman. Or maybe not so perfect now. No, my thing is surveillance and stuff like that. And I'm pretty good at it." Nichkhun chuckled.

"So good that I noticed you the first day you started following me." Junho burst out in laughter and Taecyeon started blushing. 

"As if you did that! Perhaps later on, but not the first day!" 

"Yes, it was March 10, wasn't it?" Taecyeon pulled up his phone and mumbled things like "Mr. Know-it-all" and "I'll show him" as he looked through his calendar. Suddenly he just put his phone back in his pocket. 

"It's just because you are an exceptionally good police man" 

"No, it's not that" Junho said as he dried his tears. "Do you remember that target in Hawaii, that drug dealer?" Taecyeon looked at Junho with pleading eyes.

"Pleas, don't tell them about that!" 

"What will you do if I tell them?" Taecyeon smirked at Junho

"I'll tell them about your little incident in Rio" 

"Oh no you won't, you promised me you wouldn't tell anybody!"

"You promised to never talk about Hawaii!"

"No I didn't!" 

"Well, if you do tell them about Hawaii I'm telling about Rio!" 

"Fine!" Junho crossed his hands and looked quit grumpy. Nichkhun looked over at Chansung; he was looking at his two friends with a smile on his face. He liked the smiling Chansung, he looked more handsome when he smiled. Wait, what was he thinking? Handsome? Nichkhun shook his head as if to shake out his thoughts and turned his attention back to Taecyeon and Junho. Taecyeon was shaking Junho's leg fiercely while he was looking at Chansung with wide eyes.

"What? Stop shaking my leg!" Junho snapped at Taecyeon. Taecyeon only pointed at Chansung and continued shaking the leg.

"Yah!" Junho leaned forward to hit Taecyeon, but stopped halfway with his fist still in the air. His eyes traveled to were Taecyeon pointed and his eyes widened. Nichkhun turned his head as well but all he could see was Chansung sitting there smiling, and obviously lost in thoughts. 

"What is...?" 

"Shh!" Junho hushed him and leaned in closer to Taecyeon and whispered. "Take a picture, now!" Taecyeon moved fast and got his phone up from his pocket again. He leaned closer to Chansung with his phone in his hands and took a picture. The sound made Chansung come out of his daydreaming, and he looked at the three people looking at him. 

"What?" He pushed Taecyeons phone away. "Was I drooling or something?" 

"Better than that, you were smiling!" Junho stood up in the couch and started jumping. "He smiled! He smiled!" Nichkhun backed away from the crazy man only to bump into Chansung. They sat there frozen with Nichkhun's back pressed against Chansung's chest. The contact lasted for no more than a few seconds since Chansung suddenly stood up, but to Nichkhun it felt like an eternity. Chansung's warmth spread through his back and created butterflies in his stomach. Nichkhun turned around to see why Chansung had stood up, when he heard Junho yelling. 

"He's blushing! He's blushing!" Taecyeon pushed his phone into Chansungs face again, and Chansung started running away from him. Taecyeon followed as he tried to get another picture. Nichkhun didn't understand why this was such a big deal.

"Junho! If you let Taecyeon do this I'm taking back my spare key!" Junho panicked and tried to jump of the couch.

"Taecyeon, stop! Don't ...." He jumped a little too low, his feet met the couch back and he fell straight on his face. Nichkhun was about to ask if he was ok when suddenly Junho jumped up from the floor and continued on his quest to stop Taecyeon. The whole thing was just so absurdly funny that Nichkhun broke down into a laughing mess. It took 20 minutes for him to finally calm down. 

"Man, you guys are weird!" The whole thing was weird actually. Nichkhun couldn't remember feeling so comfortable with anyone but Minjun, even with Victoria there had always been this barrier between them. He didn't have that many friends; most of his friends had been Victorias friends. And here he was, making friends with killers. "But, Junho, why do you have a spare key?" 

"I sometimes have trouble sleeping, bad dreams and stuff, and Taecyeon is a heavy sleeper. I swear, a bomb could go off in the room and he wouldn't wake up. Don't make that face, Taec, you know it's true! So when I have trouble sleeping I come here and Chansung is kind enough to let me sleep with him. When Jay lived here we used to all sleep in the same bed and tell stories of our lives before The Company." The whole atmosphere in the room changed when Junho said Jay's name. Taecyeon was the one to break the silence. 

"Well, I'm beat. Come on, Junho, let's go home." They said their goodbyes and Chansung locked the door after them. Nichkhun suddenly felt very tiered, he had been through a lot to day, and his body suddenly became very heavy and he closed his eyes. Before he knew it he was caught in big strong arms and they were moving.

"Wha-what are you doing?" Again he felt the warmth from Chansung's body going through him and messing up his mind.

"You've been sleeping for an hour on the couch, thought it would be more comfortable to sleep in a bed tonight." 

Chansung lay him down on his bed. 

"I have to go to work tomorrow, I'll probably be gone when you wake up, but Junho's coming over to keep you company"

"Ok" Was all Nichkhun said before he closed his eyes and fell asleep again. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

Heeelllooo! i've kept you waiting for too long, right? I'm sorry about that! :( School has been crazy! Fun, but crazy! 

So, here it is, chapter 7! :) I'll try and have another chapter done as soon as possible, can't promise when, but I don't want you guise to wait so long ! 

Again, I hope you like it, and thank you for commenting! :)) <33