Chapter 5

Killer Instinct

The silence in the room was broken by the sound of laughter, someone raised their eyes to see who it was. Chansung looked at the person who was laughing and felt relived. Junho hadn't laughed like that since Jay died; he had started to slowly disappear within himself. Not even Chansung could reach him, and that's why he had started to bring Taecyeon with them whenever he could. At the moment they were eating dinner in the cafeteria that was unit 13s. There weren’t just people from unit 13, since some of the units worked closely together friendships’ were made across the units. Taecyeon said another thing that made Junho burst out all the food that was in his mouth and started laughing again. 

"Stop it, Ok, or we might risk that Junho goes to bed hungry, and then he won't stop complaining until I go and get him something to eat." Taecyeon stared at Chansung in disbelief; he poked Junho in the side and pointed at Chansung. Now they both stared at Chansung with their mouths open. He looked up at them and gave them a weird look.

"What? Do I have something on my face?"

"Did.... No way! Did you just smile, Hwang!?!?" They leaned closer to Chansung, so close it made him feel like he was an animal at the zoo.

"Oh! My! God!" Junho nearly screamed. "I have known you for what, 7-8 years? And this is the first time I've seen you smile!" Chansung started to feel very uncomfortable. He waved them away and cleared his throat. 

"No, I just had to sneeze, that was all." 

"You think you can fool us like that?" Junho kept poking him in the side, as to see if he could make him smile again. Chansung sent Taecyeon a look, and Taecyeon cleared his throat.

"So, how's your case going Junho?" 

"Great, I'm taking down the target tonight actually. That evil has kidnapped her last child!" Chansung sighed in relief; he could always count on Taecyeon to direct Junho's attention. 

"Speaking of targets, how long has it been now, Chansung? 4-5 weeks? Isn't that a bit long to be observing your target?"

"Yes, but his friend just moved in with him, so that complicated my plans. But don't worry, even if this Minjun now moved in, I will deal with my target before the end of this week." The man who he had seen kissing Nichkhun had been his friend Minjun, who he hadn't seen in over a year. Chansung had mentally smacked himself when he realized this; it meant he hadn't read that part of the file as closely as he was meant too. He hadn't told anyone of what he did after he had witnessed the kiss, if he did he would be taken of the case and locked up. 

"So, what's your plan?" 

"My original plan was to take him from his apartment, but Minjun's always around. So I'm going to take him when his on his way to work, deal with him and get rid of the body." Chansung was ready; he had already started the necessary preparations. Thankfully he had such good control over his emotions that his friends couldn't tell that he was lying. He could trust no one about his real plan. 

"Well, I'm off to kill the wicked witch of the west, or south, or whatever. See you later!" With that, Junho bounced off and out of the cafeteria. Taecyeon looked at Chansung more closely.

"You know, I can actually tell when people are lying." Chansung tried not to look worried as he stared right back a Taecyeon.

"Even you, sometimes." Chansung didn't know what to do or say, he was beginning to panic.

"Whatever it is your planning on doing, be careful." 

"What? You’re not going to ask?"

"I know you, Chansung. You'll do the right thing, even if it goes against all you believe in, or been trained to believe. Have you forgotten that I did the first surveillance on Nichkhun? I can't find one single thing on him, nothing that screams: hey, I'm a bad man that deserves to be killed!" Taecyeon looked around, leaned closer to Chansung and whispered:

"I've had many of that kind lately. I mean, people who seems innocent, and no matter how much I tried to find something on them, I couldn't. Something’s off with The Company, Chansung, and I think you feel it too." Chansung got up slowly and stared at Taecyeon.

"You're wrong. You are my friend, and I care for you, because of that I won't report what you just said. But if you ever speak to me off this again, I will." He gave Taecyeon one last look before he walked away. Taecyeon knew what that look meant: not here. He sighed in relief; a moment there thought he might have been wrong, that Chansung had too much blind faith in The Company. The cafeteria was not the place to have this conversation. He just hoped that whatever it was Chansung was planning didn't end with him getting caught like Jay. Junho couldn't handle losing another friend like that. 

 

*******

 

A few days later:

 

Chansung had everything planed out; he just had to do one more thing. He had been staring at Boss's door for a couple of minutes, trying to get enough courage to knock on it. Lying to Boss was something he never had been able to do, he always saw right thru him, so he had to choose his words carefully. Chansung took a deep breath and knocked on the black door and walked in. 

"Hey, Boss." He was so nervous he almost smiled, luckily he stopped his muscles from pulling up in a grin, that would have been a disaster. Boss put down the notes he'd been reading on his desk and looked up.

"Chansung, please tell me you are here to tell me you've taken care of this police man" Chansung sat down in the chair in front of the desk. 

"No, but he will be taken care of tomorrow, don’t worry" 

"Good, The Commander has been on my for a week now, he'll be glad to hear this." He stood up and poured himself a cup of coffee. He gave a questioning look to Chansung, and Chansung just nodded.

"So," Boss continued as he poured a cup for Chansung. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" 

"I'm here to ask for a vacation." Boss nearly dropped the cup he was handing Chansung. He couldn't believe his own ears; did he just ask for a break? He tried to read Chansung's face, but it showed no emotions as always.

"A break? Well, I don't see why that should be a problem, but why now?"

"I've been working nonstop for 6 years now, and I find that this work not as giving as it used to be, if you know what I mean. I think that I just need to relax and not think about anything for two weeks or so." 

"I see." Boss could understand why Chansung asked for this, and he knew that the whole Park thing had been hard on him even if he never would admit it. He had killers who took a break after every case, and Chansung had killed over 200 targets in the last 6 years, so of course he deserved a break. "I don't see why that should be a problem. I'll give you three weeks of, how about that?" 

"Three weeks?" It was more than Chansung thought he would ever get. 

"Yes, I think you have done enough for The Company to deserve three weeks off, and I'll admit I'm glad to hear that you want it too. You've given more to The Company than any other worker, and I was afraid that this job might kill you. So yes, three weeks off!" Chansung tried so hard not to smile. Everything was going according to his plan. 

"Where will you be going on your vacation?" That was a reasonable question, but a question Chansung hadn't thought of. 

"Well, I haven’t planed anything yet..." Chansung's brain was desperately trying to come up with a lie, but then it hit him; he could just say the truth.

"Stay at home for a few days, maybe a week and then take trip abroad somewhere. I've always wanted to see the Alps" The last bit was a lie but Boss couldn't hear that. 

"That sounds great! Just send me a mail and The Company will take care of your expenses! If that was all I still have some work to do before I go home. I would wish you good luck if I thought you needed it" Boss chuckled a bit before waving Chansung out. 

 

As soon as the door closed behind Chansung, the smile dropped from Boss's face. He picked up the phone and dialed a number.

"You were right, he asked for a vacation, he's definatly up to something" Boss was silent as the person on the other end said something. 

"Of course not, I would never do that! After the whole Park thing its best if this is dealt with quietly...... Yes, I understand, I'll call if there's anything new." He hung up and stared into space as he thought about his perfect hitman. Chansung was perfect for this job, but he might just be too perfect. It was fine as long as it was people who had done something wrong, but their targets lately were innocent, Wooyoung was sure about this, and he knew Chansung could see it too. How was he going to deal with this if Chansung did something he's not supposed to do? 

 

*****

 

As soon as he was out of Boss's office he felt relaxed. It was all working out, this far at least. When Chansung thought about what lay ahead of him he tensed up again. It was not going to be easy, and it hadn't been an easy choice either. But as soon as he had made the decision he felt at ease and knew that there was no going back now. 

He walked out of the office building witch was The Company's.  They owned buildings all around Seoul; this was just one of many. As he was driving home he felt freer than ever. Of course he had to go back there to make his final report before he went on his vacation, but after that it was three weeks of just relaxing, if his plan worked. He parked outside an apartment complex; all the apartments were occupied by other employees of The Company. Junho and Taecyeon lived there as well, and Chansung had shared his apartment with Jay before his last assignment. Now he was living on his own. 

He walked in to the small living room and started preparing for his mission. One thing he had learned in the 6 years he'd been doing this was to be prepared for all kinds of scenarios, anything could happen. He was so occupied on planning everything that he didn't notice it was getting dark outside. When he finally looked at the time it was nearly 12. , he had to make some more arrangements before going to bed. 

An hour later he was finally in bed, but sleep was nowhere to be found. He was very tiered, but every time he closed his eyes he could see Nichkhun's smiling face. This had happened many times over the last weeks, he had even started dreaming about the Thai. The dreams were filled with laughter and joy, and feelings Chansung hadn't felt in years. He was hoping that after tomorrow those dreams would disappear.

He fell asleep with the image of the smiling Thai in his mind, and dreamt no dreams that night, at least none he could remember when his alarm clock woke him up. He said out load the first thought that ran through his mind as he opened his eyes

"Today is the day."

 

*****

 

Tonight was the night. Nichkhun had finally found someone who was willing to talk to him about the odd disappearing’s. The man had called him on the phone at work yesterday, and asked if he wanted to know more about the Chinese politician case. Of course he had sad yes; this was the breakthrough he’d been waiting for. He couldn’t wait to finish his workday and meat up with this unknown caller. 

 

He was lost in his strain of thoughts that he forgot he was making breakfast. An unpleasant smell brought him back to reality. ! He had burned the pancakes. A line of curses escaped his mouth as he tried to scrape the burnet pancake of the frying pan. 

 

"Now that is not a good way to start your day!" Minjun took the pan from Nickhkhun's hands and started scraping. 

"Sorry, I was just thinking about something and forgot about what I was doing."

"It's ok; I can see you already made a plate full of them so there's no need to use such foul words. Just star setting the table and let's eat!" As Nichkhun started taking out plates and glasses, Minjun continued cleaning up the messy kitchen. In no time they were seated at the table and had started their breakfast.

"So, you were thinking about that case weren't you?" Nichkhun nearly choked on his breakfast and tried to act calmly. 

"Case? I'm not working on anything particular" 

"Really? Then what’s up with that huge spider web of treads and newspaper a cut outs’ in your closet?" This time he actually chocked on his breakfast. He was taking huge sips from his orange juice and tried to stop coughing. When he had calmed down Minjun continued. 

"I spend all day here alone, you know, and sometimes I get this uncontrollable urge to clean your room." 

"You mean snoop in my things"

"My sweet Khun, you know me too well" Minjun said with a smirk on his face. Nichkhun just chuckled and continued eating. He wasn't sure how to continue this conversation, obviously Minjun had seen his spider web, but he wasn't sure how much of it he understood or what he thought about his theory. Minjun could see that his friend was having an inner conflict, it was written all over his face; he put his hand on Nichkhun’s.

"I think you’re on to something, I really do. But this thing is huge, like, it spreads all around the world. Do you think you can handle this on your own?" He gave him a soft smile, and Nichkhun could see that his friend was concerned for him. 

"Don't worry, Min, I can handle this. I actually have a huge lead that I'm checking out tonight." 

"Let me come with you!" Minjun tightened his grip on Nichkhun's hand. "It can be dangerous, and if you keep digging the people behind this will start to notice and then its good bye Nichkhun, and my world will fall apart." He was tempted to say yes, but what Minjun didn't know, and what Nichkhun was certain off; was that the people behind this had already started to notice him. It was too dangerous to let Minjun be a part of this.

"Don't worry, I have it under control. Besides, I can't baby sit you and deal with this case at the same time."

"My dear, Nichkhun, you offend me. Who was at the top of our class before you? If I hadn't dropped out you'd still be number two in our class and you know it! I still have my ninja skills." With that he stood up and did a high kick to demonstrate his skills. 

"I can see that, but still..." Minjun dropped to his knees and looked at Nichkhun with a pout on his face. 

"Please! Pretty pleeeeeeaaase!" Nichkhun kept saying no, and Minjun please for about 5 minutes, before Nichkhun finally gave in to Minjun’s pleading eyes. 

"All right, all right!" He laughed as he tried to shake of Minjun who had now taken a hold of his foot. "Get off, I said all right! You can come with me tonight!" Minjun let go and started jumping around in joy. 

"Yeah!" As he said that he threw his fist in the air and made a pose that looked like a superman pose.

"I swear by the all powers of the world to protect my fellow earth's men from dangerous that are unknown to them, and never fail in my tasks. This is my duty as a superhero of the league of spiders!" When he had finished his little speech Nichkhun has transformed into a laughing mess on the floor. It took several minutes for him to calm down because Minjun was running around the apartment shouting things like "Here comes Superman" or "I'm Batman". When Nichkhun finally calmed down he took a look at the clock on the wall. 

"Crap, I'm late. I'll come home straight after work and pick you up. Just don't wear any tights or your underwear over your trousers or something, ok?" Minjun stopped as he was trying to jump over the sofa while he was using a blanket as wings.

"Can I still use my Batman voice?" 

"No!" Nichkhun shouted back as he ran out the door laughing.

 

, he was really late. If he took the short cut through the alley to the park he would only be 10 minutes late. He was running a cross the street when a black car stopped him in his track. 

"Watch where you're driving!" He shouted as he ran around the back of the car and in between two buildings. The path was normally open, and it saved him 5 minutes. But today was not his lucky day; the big door at the end of the ally was locked. Nichkhun cursed silently in his head as he was about to turn around. He stopped as he saw a figure coming towards him. It looked vaguely familiar, but he didn't recognize him until he came closer. He looked over the man walking towards him and noticed a gun in his hand. So, this was it, today was the day. He started walking backwards but stopped as he felt the metallic door hit his back. There was nowhere else to go, nowhere to escape. The man came closer and Nichkhun stared in to his eyes. They were like a deep, dark brown pool, and they showed nothing but determination. He closed his eyes and waited for the sound of a gunshot. In his mind he sent a silent prayer to all his friends, and waited. A sound made him open his eyes, the sound of the strangers’ voice.

"I'm sorry." Nichkhun looked at the stranger with a puzzled look on his face before he was hit in the head with the gun. The last thing he saw was the stranger looking down on him before it all went black. 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Heey! I'm sooo sorry for the late update :( Got back from my trip on wednesday,and have been working from thursday until yesterday! I'm not 100% pleased with this chapter, but I don't want to keep you guys waiting for too long ^^

Thank you so much for commenting and subscribing! wooow, 16 subscribers, it's amazing! Hope you like this chapter, and please let me know if there's any mistakes or something :)