Chapter 3

Killer Instinct

Chansung was monitoring his target, he had been doing that for almost two weeks now. Unit 37 did all the surveillance work, but Chansung liked to do some monitoring on his targets, he felt like he learned more about them that way. Not that it was any need to know them better, but some of the hitmans had burned themselves pretty bad when suddenly there was a surprise party on the night of the murder or they went on a surprise holiday or something. It wasn’t that the people in unit 37 did a bad job, but Chansung didn’t really trust anyone but himself. And he felt more prepared if he did the surveillance himself. Often he would just monitor the target for a couple of days, but this had gone on for nearly two weeks. A tiny voice in Chansungs mind told him he was looking for a reason not to kill him, but Chansung didn’t really pay attention to that voice.

At the moment he was reading the report from unit 37, for the 10th time. Taecyeon was the one who had done the background checks and the surveillance, and Chansung thought of him as a friend. None of Chansungs friends (the two friends he had: Taecyeon and Junho) Thought it was weird that he didn’t really trust them, it was how he was. Boss could kind of count as a friend; he was the only one in Chansungs life that he trusted, up to a certain point. But he was his boss, and a friendship between the Boss and his employees was strictly forbidden. They both knew that their relationship was getting dangerously close to what could count as a friendship, so they both worked hard at keeping their relationship were it was.

His target was leaving his apartment complex, so Chansung brought up his camera and zoomed in. The man was 2 years older than Chansung, but he looked younger. That could have something to do with the fact that Chansung didn’t look like he was 23, but the man he was looking at now did not look 25 to him. His hair was short and he had styled it up in little spickes. It was a kind of chestnut-brown or golden brown, depending on the lighting. His eyes were smaller then Chansungs, but they had a deeper brown color then his, and his face was a lot smaller. He could see why his sisters at the company drooled over the picture of him as he had shown it to them. After two weeks of watching over this mans every move, something had started to move in Chansung. It was like every time he saw him, his heart almost skipped a beat. Chansung told himself it was just his body, aching to kill again. Another thing about this man was that he looked so familiar too him, not that he knew him, but it left him with a feeling like it was something important he had forgotten, and he couldn’t remember what it was no matter how hard he tried.

Chansung shaked his head and nearly laughed at himself. This was just another target he had to deal with, he told himself, and when he was done this feeling of uncertainty would disappear.  He focused on the target again, and as he got out of his car to continue on foot, he tried to remember all the details about this Nichkhun that he was now following. He was a 25 year old policeman, he graduated when he was 20, the youngest in 100 years, had no family and just one close friend he hadn’t seen in a year. When he was 6, he and his family moved here from Thailand because of his father’s work in the military. When he was 13 his parents got a divorce and he lived with his mother. Three years later his father died on a mission, and his mother, who became an alcoholic after the divorce, hit rock bottom and killed herself by jumping off a bridge. Nichkhun had no siblings or other family, but he actually managed the loss of his parents quite well. It looked like it made him more determent to finish school and start working. He graduated four years later, at the best of his class, and started working right away. Up until four weeks ago Nichkhun had been in a relationship with a girl named Victoria, they had been together for four years and she dumped him right out of the blue. As far as Chansung could tell he wasn’t very upset about it, but that might have something to do with the amount of time this guy spent working. He worked 6-8 hour shifts at the station, then he spent the rest of the day digging up old cases and driving around the town and country talking to people. Chansung hadn’t managed to find out what it was he was investigating so fiercely, but he was sure it had something to do with why he must die.

He followed the man down the street on foot, since it was Tuesday he knew where he was going; the laundry


******************

Today was Tuesday, so that meant laundry day.  It was his day off so he used that day to do the things he normally didn’t have time to do the rest of the week. The best thing about having a girlfriend like Victoria was that she used to take care of these things, and now, since he didn’t have a girlfriend anymore, he had to do it himself. As he rounded the corner an image flashed before his eyes. Deep brown eyes, long blond hair, beautiful lips…. Damn! Victoria’s image had a way of popping up in his head when he least expected it. He missed her, yes, but their relationship hadn’t been working at the end, even if it seemed so for the outside world. There were no arguments, no yelling, and no signs of anything being wrong. But Nichkhun wasn’t surprised when he came home one evening and found Victoria with her bags packed and a taxi waiting outside.

“I can’t take this anymore, living here without you. “ Victoria’s voice was barley a whisper, and tears were streaming down her face.

“I know, and I’m truly sorry” Nichkhun had approached her but stopped halfway when she flinched and took a step away from him.

“This goose chase of yours is going to eat you up, until you have nothing in your life worth living for!” Her voice had turned into a hiss and he could see the hurt and anger in her eyes. He tried to reach out to her again.

“Vic…” She hit his hand away.

“Don’t…. Don’t say another word. I’m going now, don’t try to contact me.” She walked to the door and stopped to take a last look at Nichkhun. “We could have been happy together, lived the rest of our lives together. You ruined this…” And with those words she had gone through the door and out of Nichkhun’s life.

 

Nichkhun sighed and pulled his fingers through his new hair. She was right, this case he was on could end up destroying him, but he couldn’t stop now. He couldn’t say he was getting any closer to solving whatever this mess was. It really was like a spider web. Whenever he felt he was getting closer to the answer another case would come up that didn’t make sense. Nobody could see how these incidents were connected, no one but Nichkhun (and a few crazy conspiracy people online). Even his boss thought it was a waste of time. People vanishing from  all over the world: a president in Uganda, a politician in Germany, a writer in Canada, a teacher in Denmark, and the list goes on and on. Nichkhun didn’t know who was behind this, but he was sertin something big was going on behind the whole worlds back.

His thoughts traveled back to the case that had started all this. He had been as shocked as everyone when the name Jay Park came up and it turned out to be a criminal who should have been dead. The shock was then replaced by a feeling of curiosity and a drive to solve the case. Parks face started showing up where other people had just vanished or been killed, and when Nichkhun started looking into it, there were many cases of important persons disappearing and being killed that had the same kind of feel to it. It had gotten so bad that he only slept 3-4 hours, and he spent the rest of the hours of the day thinking and investigating this huge web, when he was not working and giving out tickets to people who had doubled parked. And that’s why she left, he had no time for her or a relationship, he hadn’t even talked to his friends for months. He was starting to think that was a good thing because he had a feeling he was being followed. First it had been a tall, haired man that started showing up everywhere; walking past him as he left for work and popping up at his favorite coffee shop. Suddenly the man had disappeared and Nichkhun thought it was over, when another man started showing up, he was bigger than the last one and had dark brown, wavy hair.

Now, any other person might not have noticed they were being followed. But Nichkhun had been trained too notice little things in his surroundings that other might not pick up on. He was even training to follow people himself, seeing that he had just applied for a detective position on the station. If only he could start that job right now and only be working on this case! But his boss had said it would at least take 4 months before he could take the final tests.

He walked into the familiar laundry and walked up to a vacant machine. From the corner of his eyes he thought he could see a familiar figure walking past the big windows of the laundry. He turned his head and tried to spot the stranger, but there was no one to be found. A laugh escaped his throat as he thought about how paranoid he’d become. Nobody had hurt him yet, so he wasn’t really that scared about someone following him. But he felt like it was just a matter of time before something would happen to him, just like with the Chinese politician, Tao. He’d been found on the shores of an island in Hawaii, or what was left of him. They found a foot here and a hand there, shark attack. Or so all the reports said, but Nichkhun wasn’t so sure. Then a letter came to his family in China, a letter he had written himself, about how he had gone on a holiday to get away from the pressure of his work. The rest of the world saw the case as closed, but to Nichkhun it just didn’t add up.

As he was walking home he couldn’t shake off the feeling that he was being followed. He kept turning around but there was no one suspicious looking anywhere. Just to be safe he took another way home, running down alleyways and jumping over fences. He stopped at a corner to catch his breath and looked around. Except for a few cars passing bye he was alone. He started walking again and laughed at his own stupid thoughts. Maybe he had been working too hard; it might be time for a little brake.

 

The apartment was dark and quiet. He was slowly getting used to living on his own again, but he missed the company. He took the now clean clothes and made his way to the bedroom. The apartment wasn’t that big, just the right size for two people living together. It even had a guestroom. Nichkhun had thought about moving, but the apartment was just a few minutes’ walk from his work and he could afford it. Halfway through the door he stopped. Was that footsteps he heard? He held his breath and listened. No other sound then his beating heart was heard, and he laughed and shook his head. He would take the weekend off and visit some old friends or something, he really needed a break.

He the lights in the bedroom and let out a tiny scream as someone grabbed him and tackled him onto the bed. The stranger leaned in to his ear and whispered in a husky voice:
“You thought you could just shake me off, didn’t you?” 

 

--------------------

 

Cliffhanger!! ooh, I'm bad! 

hehehe, I lied, Nichkhun's here!! And btw, I feel terrible, I killed of Tao and Jay in the second chapter, and now Nichkhun is all alone!  :( But  he's a survivor! 

Thank you all for reading my story and for commenting! I'll try and post a new chapter soon ^^