Chapter 1

Killer Instinct

“Chansung, your next assignment.”  Boss slid a file across the small table to his employee. Chansung took the file and started flipping through the pages, his face showing no emotions.

“My perfect hit man” Boss thought to himself as he was watching Chansung’s never changing expression. He has known this kid for 9 years, 9 years on the day actually. “,” Boss gave himself a smack on the head. “Chansungs birthday is tomorrow. How old is he now? 22 or 23?” Damn it, he would have to check with Junho, he would know.

“Boss,” Boss looked up and looked over at Chansung. Had it been any other man he would have expected questions about why he was hitting himself, but this being Chansung he knew that would never happen. Chansung’s eyes always had that same look, that “I don’t really care about any of this” look. They were round and dark brown, Boss wondered if those eyes had ever smiled.

“The relationship papers are not in the file, do you have them?” Boss just kept looking into Chansung eyes, trying to picture them in a smiling face, Chansungs smiling face.

“Boss…… Boss…. Hyung!” Boss nearly fell off his chair.

“Wha….what, Chansung?”

“The relationship papers, do you have them?” Chansungs voice was calm, and ordinary, he always sounded like he was talking to someone politely about the weather. You could never tell what he was feeling.

“Oh, yes, yes, relationship papers… Yes, have them here. Ok was late again, I didn’t have time to put them in the file” Chansung gave a short polite nod and started reading again.

He really was the perfect hitman. He showed no emotions, no remorse and he was so freaking good at his job, never leaving evidence, never leaving any blood behind. The others employees at The Company were nothing compared to Chansung. Most of them were outcasts, criminals who was left with two choices: one, locked in a high security prison and never see the sun again, or two, join The Company and become a trainee. They had over 100 recruits every year in his unit, unit 13. The recruites came in groups of 20-30 and 2-3 months apart. They started training on everything from sword fighting to skiing, taekwondo to writing. This training took years, up to 7 years. They lived together in the groups they arrived in, got to know each other and after 7 years of training they were brothers. Out of the group, 2 or 3 where chosen to take the final test. They had to kill the ones not chosen, without showing any hesitation or emotions, and having no remorse afterwards. It they past the last test, they were employed. It might seem cruel to some, but Boss knew that only the ones who could control their emotions and kill without flinching could make it as a hitman of unit 13.

 “Boss, I’m going to find Taecyeon, his report makes no sence!” Chansung lifted his body off the chair and walked out of the room. He left the door open so Boss could see his broad shoulders as he walked off. Not to mention his perfect . Yes, no one can compare to that man, Boss thought.

Taecyeon was in unit 37, they took care of the surveillance and background checks on the targets that were assigned to unit 13. They were always assigned one person, a lawyer helping criminals, a president suppressing his country and people, etc. Other unites took care of bigger groups, like terrorist groups, another unit took care of infiltrating governments and companies. Boss wasn’t sure what unit took care of what, he only knew what unit 13 and 37 did. No one in The Company knew all of the tasks they were doing, except for The Commander. (SPARTA! Hahah, sorry, couldn’t help myself) Boss was the cheaf of Unit 13. The Company had over 100 unites (or more, Boss wasn’t sure) and every one of them had a Boss. And The Commander was the one controlling the whole thing. Boss had always suspected there were more than one Commander, but he never let that suspicion come out of his mouth, he would be dead within 24 hours if he did.

Boss was so deep in his thoughts that he hadn’t noticed Chansung coming back. When he looked up Chansung was reading through some papers and looking over pictures, Taecyon must have fixed his report. Boss looked over Chansung and tried to remember what he looked like when he had found him. Most of the recruits had been criminals, Chansung was different. Boss had found him in one of the fighting pits in the streets. He had been homeless for two years and made money in the pits. At the age of 13 he was already bigger and taller than many of his contestants. Boss had been wandering around the pits, looking at the fights that were going on, when someone had caught his eyes. His movements were elegant, the way he punched and blocked and moved around the circle were so elgegant, clean and sharp that it almost looked like he was dancing.

His opponent was older and smaller than him, but he looked more muscular. From time to time he got a punch in as well, but the man was clearly winning. Boss had been to many fighting events before, he had even recruited three of his employees from the pits, but he knew that he had never and would never see a man like the one in front of him anywhere in the world. He couldn’t take his eyes away from this beautiful creature. The man finished off his opponent with a cracking punch in the nose. The other man went down, and he jumped upon him and strangled him to death. Street fights weren’t fights were you had to kill your opponent to win, but it was not against the rules, seeing that there weren’t any rules.

Boss walked closer to the pit as the man pushed the dead body to the side and made his way through the crowd that were standing around. Boss followed closely and observed the other as he ignored all the cheering people trying to congratulate him, and they ended up in an alley.  The man sat down against the brick wall with a beer in his hands, he lifted up his other hand and wept the sweat of his forehead as he leaned his head against the wall behind him. All Boss could do was stare at this creature in front of him. The brown, wet hair had fallen down over the man’s face and stopped just before the tip of his nose. He could just barely see his eyes trough the hair, they looked to be big and round, and he could see his strong jaw. He guessed the man he was looking at was around 18 years old. Boss cleared his throat and approached the man.

“That was one of the most extraordinary fights I have ever seen.” The man looked up at him, the hair falling back and reveling his dark brown eyes showing no emotions.

“I’m Wooyoung, but most people call me Boss. What’s your name?”

“Chansung.” As he spoke Boss couldn’t help to notice that his voice sounded indifferent. Not in a bad way, but it sounded like he was indifferent to life in general, in other words: the kind of man he was looking for.

“So, Chansung, do you have a home, a family?” If Boss hadn’t been observing Chansung closely as he asked his question he might have missed he tiny movement in Chansungs eyes as he said the word family. He couldn’t tell what it was but the word stirred something in this man.

“No family. As for my home, you’re standing in it.” Boss took a look around. There were some boxes standing around by the walls further down the alley, some of them were occupied. Other than that, it was empty, no doors leading somewhere. He looked down at Chansung again.

“No home then? Well, a man like you should have a home to go to when you’re done for the day.” A sound escaped from Chansungs throat. It almost sounded like a chuckle, but his face showed no sign of amusement, no hint of a smile.

“I’m no man, just a boy that grew up too fast.” Boss looked more closely at Chansung. He had a huge body, it was a lean an muscular. He had some small wrinkles around his big round eyes, and his arms were covered in bruises. He couldn’t be younger than 16, at least.

“How old are you really then?” CHansung looked him straight in the eyes, as he was daring Boss to a staring contest.

“13”

“…” Boss just stared at Chansung, who was starting right back, as to see what kind of response Boss would give. Boss could feel that his mouth had dropped open, but his mind was too busy dealing with the information he just resived. 13, this man, no wait, boy, this boy in front him was 13 freaking years old! He tried to imagin what kind of life Chansung must have had, and an image of himself at 13 popped up in his mind. A little black haired beauty who looked more like a girl than a boy, who every Friday was dressed up in dresses and wigs by his older sister and her friends and forced to walk around the living room. Then it hit him: he could help this kid. Give him a home, family and work (if he made it, and Boss was sure he would make it.)

“Come with me, I’ll give you something to eat.” Boss offered the kid his hand.

“I don’t need your charity.” Chansung didn’t sound angry or hurt, he just said it mater-of-factly, turned his head away, and looked down into the end of the alley.

“It’s not charity, I’m thinking about hiring you, so I’m inviting you to a business meal.” Chansung looked at him with the same “show-nothing” expression for a few seconds before he took the hand that was offered to him.

 

----------------

 

“Boss!..... Hyung!”  Chansung tried to get contact with Boss for the tenth time. Sighing, he leaned back in his chair and looked at his boss. He had the expression on his face he would get when he was thinking back on things in the past. Boss did that a lot when he was with Chansung. He could never understand why, he might have to do with the fact that Chansung was so young when Wooyoung found him, and he felt like they had a stronger and deeper bond because of that. Boss had practically raised Chansung after he joined the company. From the look on his face Chansung guessed he was thinking about their first meeting. He was good like that, reading others facial expression, and he was good at hiding his own feelings, never let them be shown to anybody. That was something Chansung learned long before he joined The Company. Sighing again, he looked over the pictures he had in hands. Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul. What had this young policeman done that was a threatening someone? The would usually get the explanation in the report, but most of their targets didn’t need an explanation. They could just look at what the surveillance team had recorded and they would know that killing that man or woman was the right thing. But Chansung couldn’t shake off the feeling that most of his targets lately were innocent.

Another sigh escaped his lips as he looked over at Boss again. How this beautiful man got into this kind of work was something Chansung never could grasp, and something he probably would never know. He remembered he asked about it in the diner, after Boss had bought him a meal and explained what he did for a living. Chansung had just told him all about his life and how he had gotten to this point. It was strange. He had no one he trusted in his life, and that was because he trusted no one. But here he was, spilling his whole life story to a man he had just met. He couldn’t’ explain why, but when Wooyoung had looked at him with those warm eyes and smiled, Chansung knew he could trust him.

“So, Wooyoung, what about you? How did you get to this point in your life?” Wooyoung leaned closer to Chansung.

“First of all, if you choose to join The Company, and I know you will, you are too call me Boss, not Wooyoung. Second, when we join The Company we let go of the past, the people we knew and all the things we have done and start a new life. The other trainees and employees of The Company becomes our new family, they are all brothers and sisters. The life you lived before is swept away, and you are never to talk about it again. In fact, it would be best if you just forgot it.” Chansung had known then that he would join this company thing. He would like nothing more than to forget about the life had lived up till now and start a new one. Actually do something good for the world, protect the happy innocent people living in it, almost like a superhero. That thought almost made him laugh out loud and spurt all the food that was in his mouth, but he had learned a long time ago to hide all feelings, so his face showed no signs of what was going through his mind. He could still remember the feeling he got when he was sitting in Wooyoungs car and driving away from the place that had been his home for the last 2 years. He couldn’t describe the feeling, but it felt a lot like being exited. As they drove farther away, Chansung didn’t even look back at the place he now left behind. His mind had been totally focused on the road ahead of him, and the new life he was about to start.