Chapter 7 - Selca

Troublemaker

“The annual school sports carnival begins today.” explains the principal on the lectern, over the energetic and rowdy students. “You shall be joined with a partner that you have been, in advance, already assigned with. You will both be working together to gather as much points as possible for your team.”
Everybody groans in unison and the principal just shrugs, dismissing the unenthusiastic response of the students. The entire school floods out of the meeting hall, and you all return back into your homerooms.

As the teacher walks around the class giving out pieces of paper with their partner’s name on it. Printed ever so neatly on your strip of paper was his name, “Ahn Daniel”. From the room next door, you could hear Minwoo yell in frustration because he probably just received a piece of paper with someone else’s name written on it. Not yours for sure.

“Ah, Yuri-ah!” he yells from the door of you classroom. “Who’s your partner? Is it a guy?”
“It’s Ahn Daniel.” you say, as the class laughs comically at your silly boyfriend.
As Niel approaches you, they both make eye contact. You're not sure what to make of it.
“Who’s your partner, Min-min?” you question with the strange nickname you give your boyfriend, in attempt to break the tension.
“Lee Mi-yung.” he replies bitterly as he leaves your classroom. In the corridor, you can hear his homeroom teacher scolding him for running out of the class like that. You can’t help but secretly smile.

Lee Mi-yung, a cute, pretty and popular girl with a bubbly personality. She is famous for dating almost all of the boys of an entire class, and still, even with this record of dating, people liked her. She wasn’t a bad person, she was reasonably bright and she was nice to many, but she was most best known as the ‘ queen’. First impression: innocent, second impression: not so innocent. Her popularity and desiredness is somewhat similar to Minwoo's though.

“Wah, Yuri, you’re jealous?” winks Niel.
“Ani. (No.)” you reply in denial, not realizing that you were genuinely bubbling with envy.
Again, a sudden burst of laughter erupts from the pair. You clench your fist tightly and tighten your lips. Niel slides his hand across the table and holds your hand gently. You look at him and then you see it again. You see a flash of attractiveness. He takes his phone out of his pocket and takes a selca.

You turn red and wonder, what in the world are you doing, Ahn Daniel? He stares at his phone and shakes his head, taking another selca. He then runs outside and disappears for a few minutes. You sigh and continue sketching on your book over the vision of your boyfriend possibly flirting with her.

Pabo, pabo, pabo. Niel, Minwoo, pabos! Why am I like this? I don’t understand. I don’t get it. I’m so confused. Later, Niel comes back, sweaty, typing on his phone. You sigh in anger as you scribble angrily all over your notepad. Niel extends his hands to you and gives you his phone.

As you stare at his cute pouty face that he posed with, you laugh because in the background you see the school yard, which was very far from the classroom block. Niel was panting in front of you, explaining that he wanted good lighting from the sun. You couldn’t stop laughing. There was a message attached to it, saying, “Yuri-ah, don’t be sad, because when you’re sad, I’m sad too”.

After class, the bell rings and everyone rushes out the door.
“Ahn Daniel,” you say to him just as her leaves the door. You are both the last two people in the room. “Thank you for everything.”
“No problem.” he replies casually.
“I’m sure you’ll find a friend soon because of your great personality.” you say to him as you leave the room.