Chapter 2 - By Your First Name

Troublemaker

“Pair up with someone!” yells the P.E teacher over the rowdy students.
Everyone manages to find a pair within two seconds, as if they had been trained their whole lives to beat the world record of finding a partner. Then you realize, you and Daniel are the only ones without a partner. Then it hits you. Daniel didn’t have any friends. Sure, he talked to lots of people and seemed popular, but it was mostly a pack adoring girls. No adoring girl paired with him because they were too embarrassed. More like, not wanting to be viciously murdered by other crazed fan girls.

“Quickly! Yuri, pair with Daniel.” commands the teacher. You walk slowly next to him, staring at the dull grass beneath your feet. Great, I just attracted all of the attention.
“First, we need to stretch. Hold the hands of your partner and slowly lean backwards. Make sure you both find your centre of gravity and support each other.”
You reach your hands out to hold his. He looks at you weirdly.
“What do you want?” you ask, aware that this is the doofus that your best friend fell in love with. You eye him dangerously, as if he were a vicious animal.
“Nothing.” he replies silently.

After stretching, the teacher announces the exercise game for today.
“This game is based on trust and teamwork,” he smirks. “The strongest between the pair are to give your partner a piggy-back ride. Whilst sitting on your partner’s shoulders, you are to engage in warfare with other pairs, trying to push each other down. The last team standing wins.”
“What kind of game is this?” asks a surprised student.
“Just do it or I’ll give you an E for participation.” snaps the teacher.
The class grumbles in unison and talk between themselves as they assume their positions. You turn to Niel who looks at you nervously.

“What now?” you ask a bit too defensively, demanding an answer.
He just shrugs. He bends his knees and leans over. You wrap your arms around his neck and his shoulders. You then slowly wrap your legs around his torso, hanging on tightly. He hands grip your thighs, a bit too close to your ‘rear’. You lean your chest on his back and suddenly, for no reason, you blush. It seems he’s embarrassed too, because you can see his ears turn red.

“Yuri, you lead.” he says.
“Wah, first name basis already? That’s a bit too much isn’t it, ‘Daniel’.” you reply bitterly, not wanting him to act close to you.
“Don’t you have a nickname I could use?” he asks.
“No,” you say as you struggle against a team who is trying to knock you down. You grab her shoulders and push with all your might. One team down. “Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you. I have a nickname for you though. I’ll call you Niel.”

You see his cheeks lift up, and it’s hard to tell, but you think he’s smiling. You smile too.
“Niel is a good nickname.” he mutters as he charges into another pair. Another team down, a few more to go. You both pant, already worn out. It wasn't even half way through the game yet, and you were both huffing for breath.

“Niel, go towards Bang Min Soo.” you order.
“C.A.P hyung? But he’s super strong! We can’t take him down!” he exclaims in prorest.
“He has a weaker partner that is trying to support his heavy weight,” you say, trying to reason with him. What a idiotic idea, making the weaker one carry the heavier one. “Look how tired he seems. If I push the person carrying him, Bang Min Soo will go down.”
“Smart.” says Niel under his breath. He jogs towards C.A.P and as the closer he gets to him, the quicker his pace accelerates. Niel rams into C.A.P’s partner, and with all your strength, you push his partner who, as a result, tumbles onto the ground, taking C.A.P out with him.

Next thing you know, you and Niel are the winners of the game, and the entire class gathers around cheer, chanting his name again and again. You walk onto the grass and take a seat, wanting to stay away from the large crowd. After a few minutes, Niel sits next to you on the grass and looks up to the cloudless sky.
“You’re amazingly smart,” says Niel, who appears to be trying to flirt with you. “And pretty.”
“Sorry, I spare no compliments for you, Niel.” you answer.
He laughs playfully at your snappy reply.